The Jets won a football game today

Maxman

Just now, Flea Flicking Frank said:

The overraction on Wilson is insanity. He is 6 games into his career and missed a few weeks with an injury. He looked bad early on but improved as the game went on. He has a lot of improving to do, he should, he is a rookie on a bad team. Declaring him dead and buried is as stupid as declaring him a star. I enjoyed the win today, haven't been a lot of them this year.

It’s not an exaggeration to say the number of comparators who have started as poorly as him and become good is tiny and thus concern is warranted.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Flea Flicking Frank said:

The overraction on Wilson is insanity. He is 6 games into his career and missed a few weeks with an injury. He looked bad early on but improved as the game went on. He has a lot of improving to do, he should, he is a rookie on a bad team. Declaring him dead and buried is as stupid as declaring him a star. I enjoyed the win today, haven't been a lot of them this year.

Nobody has declared him dead and buried but he has stunk so far. 

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He is thru 22% of the time Sam Darnold was given in NY.

After next week, he will be at close to 1/4 of Sam's total time as a NY Jet.

And I did enjoy the win, thank you. 

Fair - although a big deal to me is getting another offseason (or two). A lot of guys take big jumps in years 2 and 3 - especially at QB. 

Darnold had a full 2nd and 3rd off-season here to improve and actually managed to look worse in year 3 than he did in year 2 (I was out on him after the Buffalo opener last year)

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

And at this point, the odds are bad. Fine not zero, but not many in NFL history have started as the worst QB in the league and become decent much less good.

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Fair - although a big deal to me is getting another offseason (or two). A lot of guys take big jumps in years 2 and 3 - especially at QB. 

Darnold had a full 2nd and 3rd off-season here to improve and actually managed to look worse in year 3 than he did in year 2 (I was out on him after the Buffalo opener last year)

I said it elsewhere:  40 games.

He has 40 more games to prove his future here.

That is the end of his third season, and that will be when the Front Office makes their call on him (IMO).  

Same as Sam.

• Upvote 1

Elway.  But I bet Elway showed more signs than Zach has so far. 

Like I said people may be able to throw a name or two out there but there are dozens or hundreds the other way. The odds are now terrible. It isn’t personal. Just like it wasn’t with Darnold. But if you were GM would YOU roll into 2022 with Wilson as unquestioned starter? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

What part of “Zach is playing like crap” is an exaggeration?

Your frustration isn’t with Zach/Jets.  It’s with the homers.  Because they try selling rainbows.  You just said that.  Which implies your analysis is spot on and you just can’t deal with their clearly exaggerated opinions.  

I do think Zach has been bad and disappointing for all but a few instances this season.  That’s not an overreaction.  To completely write him off is.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

And at this point, the odds are bad. Fine not zero, but not many in NFL history have started as the worst QB in the league and become decent much less good.

There's been QBs who have just made bad decisions and threw lots of INTs who turned it around but I don't recall a QB that has zero pocket presence and doesn't have a feel for the game becoming a great QB. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Just saying. They won a game. That doesn't mean there aren't problems but for the love of all things holy please exhale a bit. So many over reactions. Calm down, let's see if this young roster can put together a winning streak and beat the Eagles.

Plenty of stuff needs to be fixed, but this QB is like 3 minutes into his NFL career. So for now just enjoy the win.

catch me if you can GIF

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Like I said people may be able to throw a name or two out there but there are dozens or hundreds the other way. The odds are now terrible. It isn’t personal. Just like it wasn’t with Darnold. But if you were GM would YOU roll into 2022 with Wilson as unquestioned starter? 

JD is in a corner right now. It’s pretty much Zach or bust for him. I do think he’s going into next year the unquestioned starter. 

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Your frustration isn’t with Zach/Jets.  It’s with the homers.  Because they try selling rainbows.  You just said that.  Which implies your analysis is spot on and you just can’t deal with their clearly exaggerated opinions.  

I do think Zach has been bad and disappointing for all but a few instances this season.  That’s not an overreaction.  To completely write him off is.

The number of QBs who have started as bad as Wilson and become good is single digits. The opposite is hundreds of names long. It’s statistics. The other side is driven by emotion. I’m going to say it now: they are almost certainty wrong. But yes, sometimes the 100-1 comes in, but not because fans feverishly try to shout down negative opinions on a messageboard. Magical thinking is the realm of children and the mentally ill.

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Nobody is writing him off but we are sounding the alarm bells.  It’s not like we don’t want him to succeed.  

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Nobody is writing him off but we are sounding the alarm bells.  It’s not like we don’t want him to succeed.  

No! There is no middle ground! You either pledge undying confidence or turn in your Real Fan card.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If we're winning then there's something wrong with the F'ing scoreboard.

33 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We really pushed around the worst team in the AFC.  What a great day to be a Jet fan!

18 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If Zach played well and really showed potential to be a FQB, I’d be very happy with a win (or a loss for that matter).  Him playing as badly as he did though makes me think we’re still not on the road to solving this team’s biggest problem (that has been this team’s biggest problem for a very long time).

I’m not an overly negative fan regarding QB’s either.  I believed in Sam the entire time he was here.  Zach has looked awful so far though.  I’ve been wrong about QBs plenty though so I’m hoping I’m wrong about Zach too.  I haven’t given up on him btw but I’m starting to get pretty pessimistic.  His short passes have been Hackenberg-esque 

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Elway.  But I bet Elway showed more signs than Zach has so far. 

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If you saw the passes thrown today and were told they were thrown by Hackenberg I think most of us would think “yeah, that sounds right”.   His touch on short passes as been abysmal. 

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Jets won today. Nobody is saying this team is a Super Bowl contender. But the need that a lot of people here have to beat people over the head with negativity is getting old. We should just bring @PatsFanTX back if we want to be bombarded with everything that is wrong every post.

There is a lot wrong. But there is young talent on this team and this coaching staff is committed to checking their egos's at the door and developing Zach Wilson. The kid has potential and hiring his personal coach was a very big move by this staff.

Let it go, this game is supposed to be fun. If you can't enjoy the wins, even when they aren't perfect, you should really exhale a bit.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The Jets won today. Nobody is saying this team is a Super Bowl contender. But the need that a lot of people here have to beat people over the head with negativity is getting old. We should just bring @PatsFanTX back if we want to be bombarded with everything that is wrong every post.

There is a lot wrong. But there is young talent on this team and this coaching staff is committed to checking their egos's at the door and developing Zach Wilson. The kid has potential and hiring his personal coach was a very big move by this staff.

Let it go, this game is supposed to be fun. If you can't enjoy the wins, even when they aren't perfect, you should really exhale a bit.

You got it all wrong boss Tuscany’s a good dude. We all want Zach to become a HOFer but man, it’s looking pretty rough so far. No one is hating. We all deal with grief in our own ways.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

If we don’t have a QB in place then we’re flat-out pretenders.  I mean maybe if we had a great situation other than QB (like Indy) it would be one thing.  But we’re far from that.  The whole thing is on Zach’s shoulders. Wins and losses are meaningless this season. It’s all about Zach.

And I don’t care at all if he has major growing pains, I just want to see signs that he can be the guy.  Air-mailing short passes doesn’t qualify. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

The number of QBs who have started as bad as Wilson and become good is single digits. The opposite is hundreds of names long. It’s statistics. The other side is driven by emotion. I’m going to say it now: they are almost certainty wrong. But yes, sometimes the 100-1 comes in, but not because fans feverishly try to shout down negative opinions on a messageboard. Magical thinking is the realm of children and the mentally ill.

But let’s bring in Mitch Tribisky right?   Because statistics on failed QB turned reclamation projects are sky high.

But magical thinking yada yada.  At least your magical thinking is the intellectual kind.

Just now, jgb said:

If Zach Wilson makes a Pro Bowl as a NYJ I will bump this post myself and proclaim myself an apostate to the one true lord. Satisfied?

No. I think the likelihood is that Wilson busts here. That likelihood only went up after today, all things considered. 

So, for me, it's not really about being "right" - After all, if I had to guess, I'd guess that you are right. 

I'm just saying that he's still a rookie and it would be good to see how he looks in year 2 before turning in the bust card. 

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

But let’s bring in Mitch Tribisky right?   Because statistics on failed QB turned reclamation projects are sky high.

But magical thinking yada yada.  At least your magical thinking is the intellectual kind.

Yeah well it’s the best option in the pit JD has now dig for himself. I didn’t create this disaster. I offered many better options for QB over the last five years. Unfortunately for all of us, Korn Ferry didn’t short list me.

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I never said you didn't

But I've seen numerous people on here basically say that Wilson is hopeless and has no shot  - hence, people have already "written him off"

I haven’t written him off but my level of optimism is not what it was.  So far, he hasn’t even shown that he can make the easy throws!  Wtf. 

• Upvote 1

I haven’t written him off but my level of optimism is not what it was.  So far, he hasn’t even shown that he can make the easy throws!  Wtf. 

Yeah, I mean, he's not going to be around very long if he can't fix the short range accuracy issues. No argument there.