Jump to content

The Jets won a football game today


Maxman
 Share

Recommended Posts

they're going to ruin Wilson.

they want him to dip and dunk like Mike White and that's not who he is.

that's why he looked so lost today. every week he was looking better and then White has this great game with throwing mostly checkdowns and now there forcing Wilson to do it and that's not his game.

correct me if im wrong but was this the first game i seen of Zach that he didn't even throw it downfield? and according to the announcers he was having some guys open downfield. 

thats not Zach. 

they got to let him play his game.

 

  • Confused 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If we don’t have a QB in place then we’re flat-out pretenders.  I mean maybe if we had a great situation other than QB (like Indy) it would be one thing.  But we’re far from that.  The whole thing is on Zach’s shoulders. Wins and losses are meaningless this season. It’s all about Zach.

And I don’t care at all if he has major growing pains, I just want to see signs that he can be the guy.  Air-mailing short passes doesn’t qualify. 

Cool. He has played 6 games before today. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I get it.  But he should be able to throw short passes with touch.  I joked about this in another thread but this really is a checkdown league.  

He is throwing 100mph at receivers that are 4 yard beyond the line of scrimmage. That is 100% an issue.  It is an issue that is correctable. The kid looked nervous today, he was definitely off. He has a lot of pressure on him which is why I am glad he has a QB coach now.

Douglas made the right decision in getting rid of Darnold, so it will be fun watching Wilson improve down the stretch this year. He has talent around him which is an amazing statement in itself.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

He is throwing 100mph at receivers that are 4 yard beyond the line of scrimmage. That is 100% an issue.  It is an issue that is correctable. The kid looked nervous today, he was definitely off. He has a lot of pressure on him which is why I am glad he has a QB coach now.

Douglas made the right decision in getting rid of Darnold, so it will be fun watching Wilson improve down the stretch this year. He has talent around him which is an amazing statement in itself.

He’s throwing well off-target too. Maybe it’s his footwork or his knee but he really needs to correct this.  And if it’s too much for him right now (or if he’s injured) then he should be on the bench watching My Quite.  

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure most of the sacks he took were on him as well.  He's still not reading the blitzes.

That more than anything else is what has me really, really worried about his long term future.  He was nearly decapitated twice today. One day it might actually happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Maxman said:

He is throwing 100mph at receivers that are 4 yard beyond the line of scrimmage. That is 100% an issue.  It is an issue that is correctable. The kid looked nervous today, he was definitely off. He has a lot of pressure on him which is why I am glad he has a QB coach now.

Maybe his headband is too tight. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We really pushed around the worst team in the AFC.  What a great day to be a Jet fan!

I thought Detroit was the worse team? This is also the team the almost beat (okay maybe almost didn't lose) the great Pats. And it took them blocking their own punt to loose out.

Week after week we hear that the Jets couldn't beat a college or HS team; they beat a team (or don't loose) and everyone is like - it doesn't count.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, jgb said:

It’s not an exaggeration to say the number of comparators who have started as poorly as him and become good is tiny and thus concern is warranted.

Its not an exaggeration to say that every successful QB in the NFL is an outlier. There are about 15 humans on the planet at any given time who can play QB at a relatively high to high level.  You want to be rich, find a way to bet against drafted QB's being successful, you will be rich. Why don't you just get a heads start and declare the next 3 QB's we draft busts as well, odds are you will be right and you can get all sorts of web cred.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I get it.  But he should be able to throw short passes with touch.  I joked about this in another thread but this really is a checkdown league.  

Nobody really knows why hes struggling with those. These guys are not robots, they are human beings with 10million things going on in their brain. Nobody knows when the light switch will go on, or will not.

Do I think Zach will be the guy, clearly not seeing that now, but I just don't see how you can say after 6 games that he is clearly not the guy either.

He has physical tools, will that translate, the odds against QB's in general say it won't translate. But man its early and who knows whats going on. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Its not an exaggeration to say that every successful QB in the NFL is an outlier. There are about 15 humans on the planet at any given time who can play QB at a relatively high to high level.  You want to be rich, find a way to bet against drafted QB's being successful, you will be rich. Why don't you just get a heads start and declare the next 3 QB's we draft busts as well, odds are you will be right and you can get all sorts of web cred.

Oh, this is true. Which makes those who refuse to brook any criticism of Zach -- or any young QB -- very perplexing to thinking folks everywhere.

PS: I have enough Internet cred for "calling" Jets draft picks as busts. I don't need anymore. I'd like a good team, which in 95% of cases starts with a QB. Pining to be wrong.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Me:  The Jets won today.

JGB:  Zach sucks and he will always suck. 

Thanks for the update. Hadn't heard that from you before in 1,232 other threads.

Sigh. I said after such a poor start, he'd be an outlier to succeed. Never said he will always suck. But I know what I'd be forced to bet on... Nothing personal with Zach. We all want him to succeed. But it's healthy to acknowledge likelihood.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sigh. I said after such a poor start, he'd be an outlier to succeed. Never said he will always suck. But I know what I'd be forced to bet on... Nothing personal with Zach. We all want him to succeed. But it's healthy to acknowledge likelihood.

I just don't get the need to tell other people what you feel is healthy. It isn't a one size fits all situation. We are allowed to be fans.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I just don't get the need to tell other people what you feel is healthy. It isn't a one size fits all situation. We are allowed to be fans.

Exactly. And that goes both ways.

Sorry for derailing your good vibes thread.

Let's hope Wilson can show a good trajectory here on out.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Nobody really knows why hes struggling with those. These guys are not robots, they are human beings with 10million things going on in their brain. Nobody knows when the light switch will go on, or will not.

Do I think Zach will be the guy, clearly not seeing that now, but I just don't see how you can say after 6 games that he is clearly not the guy either.

He has physical tools, will that translate, the odds against QB's in general say it won't translate. But man its early and who knows whats going on. 

Agreed

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, jgb said:

Oh, this is true. Which makes those who refuse to brook any criticism of Zach -- or any young QB -- very perplexing to thinking folks everywhere.

PS: I have enough Internet cred for "calling" Jets draft picks as busts. I don't need anymore. I'd like a good team, which in 95% of cases starts with a QB. Pining to be wrong.

I don't see many people flat out refusing to "brook" criticism of Zach. What I see much more is people trying to wrap context around it. Congrats on all that internet cred, I hope you buy something very nice with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I don't see many people flat out refusing to "brook" criticism of Zach. What I see much more is people trying to wrap context around it. Congrats on all that internet cred, I hope you buy something very nice with it.

Well I see a bunch of people trying to make being right into a character flaw :) 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, doitny said:

they're going to ruin Wilson.

they want him to dip and dunk like Mike White and that's not who he is.

that's why he looked so lost today. every week he was looking better and then White has this great game with throwing mostly checkdowns and now there forcing Wilson to do it and that's not his game.

correct me if im wrong but was this the first game i seen of Zach that he didn't even throw it downfield? and according to the announcers he was having some guys open downfield. 

thats not Zach. 

they got to let him play his game.

 

I think there is some truth to this post.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Jets won today. Nobody is saying this team is a Super Bowl contender. But the need that a lot of people here have to beat people over the head with negativity is getting old. We should just bring @PatsFanTX back if we want to be bombarded with everything that is wrong every post.

There is a lot wrong. But there is young talent on this team and this coaching staff is committed to checking their egos's at the door and developing Zach Wilson. The kid has potential and hiring his personal coach was a very big move by this staff.

Let it go, this game is supposed to be fun. If you can't enjoy the wins, even when they aren't perfect, you should really exhale a bit.

Exactly

About 80% of the board is either Happy about the win, Or at least OK, and want to dicuss what actually happened in the game.   Good and bad.  Including  Wilson's flaws, and the positive points you have pointed out.

About  20% of the board just want to beat the rest of the board over the head repeatly with the same ole crap, thread after thread, and make the board unreadable and miserable as they are, after a win.

Hope ya can  get it under control Boss.  :) 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, doitny said:

they're going to ruin Wilson.

they want him to dip and dunk like Mike White and that's not who he is.

that's why he looked so lost today. every week he was looking better and then White has this great game with throwing mostly checkdowns and now there forcing Wilson to do it and that's not his game.

correct me if im wrong but was this the first game i seen of Zach that he didn't even throw it downfield? and according to the announcers he was having some guys open downfield. 

thats not Zach. 

they got to let him play his game.

 

I don't agree at all.  I think this is the general Jets fan mentality that these guys are ruined by us.  It is a pretty simple thing to throw dumpoffs to backs and checkdowns to TEs.  He is making it hard. 

You think they are beating it into his head not to look downfield?  I 100% don't believe that to be the case.  I think he watched White make a killing and realized that it can work.  He needs to make those throws accurately so that guys can run after the catch and not have to worry about securing a ball that is not easily dropped in the bucket.  

You saw his schoolyard stuff on display yesterday. He pitch to Johnson that resulted in the pick.  The side-armed throw that almost did.  Sometimes that stuff works, sometimes it looks like yesterday.  The issue to me is seeing too much "pass incomplete short right.  Teven Coleman"  "pass incomplete short left Austin Walter"  "pass incomplete short middle Elijah Moore"  He probably left 100 yards on the field yesterday on screwed up dumpoffs.  If he can't correct that, they didn't ruin him, he just wasn't capable. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've passed the first degree of winning: Wins that looked like we should have lost, some players were great, others were terrible. Easy opponent.

 

Now we need progress by passing the next degree of winning, which are wins that were ugly, but players for the most part played ok or well. Few terrible plays. Easy/Mediocre opponent.

 

This doesn't mean winning all the time, but it means no getting blown out on a weekly basis. I still expect multiple blowouts the rest of the year, but I don't expect bad games week to week. I've seen clear progress (In my opinion), but progress can always get stopped. Winning the easy games and losing others but having shots at them is the current short term goal. It's happening right now, let's hope it follows through

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I have absolutely no problem with the Jets winning today, and there are some positives that seem to be coming from this team as the season goes on.

However, there are also legitimate concerns that came from this game, when Wilson looked to be the worst of the Jets' 4 players at the game's most important position.  Still of course rooting for him to get it all together, but today just wiped out the recent hope/claims that he would be the immediate beneficiary of all the ways the offense improved in his absence, rather than his replacements being part of the reason for that improvement.

Will still gladly take a win over a loss though, short of it being week 18 in a season where they're fighting for #1 overall.

Now this may not consistently occurs, but what we saw yesterday is what the 49ers had become when they got to a SB. ~150 yards per game on the ground via RB by committee, solid D stopping many drives, and a good enough overall passing game to provide some offensive balance with the QB managing the game. As that model becomes more consistent across many game you try to get the QB to make some more splash plays as needed, which if Jimmy G. would have done that the 49ers would have one the SB they were recently in. We need to see if this can be done by our team moving forward, but the problem becomes when you play better offenses they will score more and better defenses will shut down your run game. That's when you need the QB to carry the team. Lets see if Zack can materialize into that. He needs better accuracy and touch on the shorter throws. That is the first priority. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:
Turns out it's easier to play center when you don't have a traffic cone to your right

 

Yep, The" French Doc" really played well in his role in the Running game.  Allowed McGovern to play C instead of baby sitting.  If They can get things together in the passing game Jets might have a decent OL this  year.

Fant is playing lights out in the Passing game.  AVT has been out standing at times (penalty inside the 5 yeasterday was a killer.  Rookie mistake)   MCGovern is looking like a starting C, the "the French Doc" seems to look like he's played the spot before, and got some good zone position.  Moses is off and on, (breaking down a bit)  Perhaps Becton can come back and put some real punch in the running game on the right side.

OL started  the season horrible first 3 games, Pass protection still needs a bit of work, but maybe the Jets can finish the season with a solid OL going into next season.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

I thought Detroit was the worse team? This is also the team the almost beat (okay maybe almost didn't lose) the great Pats. And it took them blocking their own punt to loose out.

Week after week we hear that the Jets couldn't beat a college or HS team; they beat a team (or don't loose) and everyone is like - it doesn't count.

Lions actually are not bad on offense look where they are liste

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Jets will probably have the most draft capital and cap space (top 5 for sure) going into the off season. This team will look very different/better next year.

The assets (cap space, draft picks, pieces on the roster now) are certainly in-place for a competitive 2022, if managed correctly.

And if Zach materially improves vs his first season so far.  

Unless we go the "Veteran Roster Carries Mark Sanchez" route, it'll still depend on Zach being very good in 2022.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...