Somehow Zach is effective........

Nixhead

1 hour ago, ryu79 said:

Bart and Willie took him to town on this after he was asked about it in the presser and said he is 'just trying to let it rip.' I THINK he meant that he was trying to not to over think to today and just be more decisive, but Bart took him literally and said he is gonna lose the receiver room if he keeps doing that.

Yeah, I'd want some clarity from Zach on that.  Hopefully that's what he meant, that he was just trying to play and not overthink this.  Then again, if we see him pull into his garage to park at 60 mph then we might have a problem. lol

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Ha!  He didn't fall down for once.  It was actually a good play.

Yeah, it was a good play, would have loved to see him mow down the defender for the first down lol, but like I said it’s just nice to see tight ends getting used more. 

3 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I wonder if the Jax fan base is blowing up Lawrence like half the Jet fan base is with Wilson?  Ole Trevor isn't much better than Wilson at all and he's playing with a more experienced team, including his coaches.

There’s like 12 Jaguars fans and they’re all too tired from SEC football the day before to care.  Also, meth.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

My biggest concern with Zach (and I didn't hear anybody talk about this in the Draft process) is that he seems to be having accuracy issues, particularly on short throws.  He's also out of "speed sync" with some of his passes, throwing harder than he should be on check downs and 5 yard passes.  I'm hoping this gets better with more game reps.  If the Jets aren't getting enough practice reps at "game speed" during the week then maybe Zach has too much adrenaline going on gameday and is simply firing balls to hard.  I just don't know.

Yes - this is my biggest issue with him, as well. He was asked about this in the postgame and basically said that he has this “let it rip” mindset that probably results in him throwing the ball too hard on short passes. It sounds like he’s just full of adrenaline and nerves and has to learn to calm down and throw accurately. 

if this doesn’t get fixed, he’s not a longterm starter. Simple as that. I do think this is fixable with reps and hard work but we’ll see if he can fix it.

I actually didn’t think the shovel pass was that big of a deal. Getting the ball there to Johnson made sense and he had plenty of time to do it, but he just waited too long to make that decision. By the time he decided to flip it to Johnson, he was just starting to turn around to block. A slightly quicker decision and that is a completed pass. That decision making speed improves with experience  

• Upvote 2

As we saw with Hackenburg, the future is not good for young NFL QBs who can’t throw accurate short passes.   It’s a different skill than throwing it downfield to open receivers with plenty of time to throw in college. 

This is why guys like Pennington, Mac Jones and even Mike White can look decently in the NFL, and Hackenburg and others fail.   People gave Hackenburg second chances after the Jets, and he still could not get it.  It does not matter how nice and hardworking ZW is, he needs to be able to do this. 

But having the ability to throw it down field  to someone like Elijah Moore is helpful, and the threat of that opens up the running game.  So even though ZWs stats were not great, he was important to winning this game.   I would not play him this week unless completely healthy though. 

• Sympathy 2

Well, there are 2 efficiency ratings out there used to measure QB's.  Zach Wilson had 9.8 QBR (lowest of the year) and 58.5 Passer Rating (2nd lowest of the year).  That would indicate, he was actually highly ineffective and if you watched the game, you would have seen that these scorings systems are pretty accurately reflective of just how bad Zach Wilson was on Sunday. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Well, there are 2 efficiency ratings out there used to measure QB's.  Zach Wilson had 9.8 QBR (lowest of the year) and 58.5 Passer Rating (2nd lowest of the year).  That would indicate, he was actually highly ineffective and if you watched the game, you would have seen that these scorings systems are pretty accurately reflective of just how bad Zach Wilson was on Sunday. 

He beat the Texans though. That's special.

• Haha 2

Don't even try... This group of clowns just try to outdo each other with snarky sarcastic comments.

But yes...

Zack's the QB... We got to sit with them for a couple of years and hope for the best.

I'll check back later at all the snarking comments from the clown car. Lol

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, varjet said:

As we saw with Hackenburg, the future is not good for young NFL QBs who can’t throw accurate short passes.   It’s a different skill than throwing it downfield to open receivers with plenty of time to throw in college. 

This is why guys like Pennington, Mac Jones and even Mike White can look decently in the NFL, and Hackenburg and others fail.   People gave Hackenburg second chances after the Jets, and he still could not get it.  It does not matter how nice and hardworking ZW is, he needs to be able to do this. 

But having the ability to throw it down field  to someone like Elijah Moore is helpful, and the threat of that opens up the running game.  So even though ZWs stats were not great, he was important to winning this game.   I would not play him this week unless completely healthy though. 

You never saw hackenberg play. Wilson was not missing these short passes in the pre season or really until the 4th Q of the Titans game. 

• Thumb Down 1

8 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Bart and Willie took him to town on this after he was asked about it in the presser and said he is 'just trying to let it rip.' I THINK he meant that he was trying to not to over think to today and just be more decisive, but Bart took him literally and said he is gonna lose the receiver room if he keeps doing that.

Bart Scott is the biggest anti-zaxers in the media.

Much like many fans here - he's rooting for Zach to fail...and will find the negative angle to anything and everything he says.

10 hours ago, Nixhead said:

I'm trying hard to come up with reasons why we can say at least say:   Zach seems effective -  so here are some of my reasons:

1) We won the game  - gotta give me that one

2) Zach had a couple nice 20 yard passes to Moore - hopefully the start of something big

3) Zach only turned the ball over once - I will take once in a game for sure!

4) Zach didn't try to do too much - he pretty much stayed within the offense

5) Zach had a nice run for a TD - I don't see Flacco making that play. Good decision by Zach

6) Zach threw for 145 yards and zero TD's - well its a team effort

7) Zach handed the ball off a lot and the Jets had a decent ground game - Zach played some game manager

Zach wasn't great and was barely adequate yet we came back from being down 14-3 on the road against a bad team but a team that just beat a playoff contender so 

somehow Zach is an effective QB at this point as he has been at times in all games but two. Can't wait till he is actually good and I think he will be - its just gonna take some time.

Yayyyyyyyyyy

He was effective.

He had a rough first couple of drives and that seems to be a theme with him.  He overcame that in the game he got hurt, but reverted back to it on his first game back...He needs to fix that for sure.

After those two drives, while not explosive, made key plays to keep the ball moving on a day when the running game and defense was clicking.  

He went 13-19 after the first two drives - and made the throws he needed to, when he needed to - to help the team win.  He didn't force the ball, took what was there and threw the ball away when it wasn't...

He certainly wasn't great, but clearly effective.  

Why is that so hard for so many of you to accept?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

9 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Great, we drafted  a QB at #2 so he could do the same every backup does, hand off. 

Yep, they should have let him rip it against one of the worst run defenses in the NFL. Zach needs reps for sure but he also needs to run more plays where he throws it downfield. That's what makes him unique. He'll then have more wide open passes underneath. Sitting him will not do it.

8 hours ago, K Clue said:

That was Ryan “make a catch and fall down” Griffin lol

All jokes a side it’s nice to see the tight ends finally being utilized on this team, even if they aren’t that good.

Griffin should have caught a TD pass. I know he had to slide, but it hit him in the hands and their was no defender near him.

Kenny Yeboah must not be showing much in practice, because we have to have the worst TE group in the NFL. Every week, I watch other teams' TEs make difficult catches and win jump balls. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I wonder if the Jax fan base is blowing up Lawrence like half the Jet fan base is with Wilson?  Ole Trevor isn't much better than Wilson at all and he's playing with a more experienced team, including his coaches.

I’ll never understand how a QB on another team playing badly can make a Jets fan okay with lousy play by a QB on our team.

It’s like being okay with a horrible job, and going to work with a smile every day because the guy cleaning the toilets with  you everyday has it just as bad.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

I’ll never understand how a QB on another team playing badly can make a Jets fan okay with lousy play by a QB on our team.

It’s like being okay with a horrible job, and going to work with a smile every day because the guy cleaning the toilets with  you everyday has it just as bad.

I always saw it as some sort of misguided validation.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, paulyjet said:

Don't even try... This group of clowns just try to outdo each other with snarky sarcastic comments.

But yes...

Zack's the QB... We got to sit with them for a couple of years and hope for the best.

I'll check back later at all the snarking comments from the clown car. Lol

Yeah, according to the poll we  had on here yesterday about 20% of the the site has made the board un-readable.

Guess it's just a sign of the times.  Just keep whiniing over, and over, and over until no-one is interested , then declare "I've owned ya"  :) 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He was effective.

He had a rough first couple of drives and that seems to be a theme with him.  He overcame that in the game he got hurt, but reverted back to it on his first game back...He needs to fix that for sure.

After those two drives, while not explosive, made key plays to keep the ball moving on a day when the running game and defense was clicking.  

He went 13-19 after the first two drives - and made the throws he needed to, when he needed to - to help the team win.  He didn't force the ball, took what was there and threw the ball away when it wasn't...

Probably because it isn't true, he was not very effective, and the Jets won because of effective play by our running backs and defense, not because of Zach Wilson's play.

Zach's yards per attempt was 6.0 yesterday.  Looking at passing stats this year, that number would put him 33rd in the NFL.

Mike White is a clearly limited dink-and dunk-type QB, with a higher YPA (7.2) and a higher completion percentage (66.7%).

Zach Wilson was not drafted #2 overall to be a less productive version of Mike White.  

You're certainly entitled to your own opinion, and if you see Zach's performance yesterday as a good thing, so be it. 

But many of us do not.

On to the Eagles, and we'll see how he does there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I didn't say it was okay.  I was just curious how the fan base in Jacksonville was handling the Lawrence debut.  Personally for me, they both are having their issues.  Not every team can have a Belichick as their HC.  And not every fan base is like this fan base.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Because it weakens their argument.

There's a lot of experts posting here who have concluded after a small sample of games, that he blows. don't you know? I wonder just how many of these same "experts" felt that Sam was the savior after his 1st year? How did that end?

It's too early to tell. Just let the kid play. This is what a rebuild is supposed to look like. But's that's what a site like JN is for- the exchange of ideas and opinions.

Rookie HC + Rookie OC + Rookie DC + Rookie QB = A rebuild  &  lots of bad football along the way.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I wonder just how many of these same "experts" felt that Sam was the savior after his 1st year? How did that end?

You can certainly check my post history on Sam, Geno and Mark anytime you like.  

And I am no expert, just a fan with a viewpoint earned from watching and obsessing over 35 years of NFL football.

It's too early to tell.

After next week's game, he will be ~25% through the period of time Sam Darnold was given before he was traded away as a bust.  

How long is enough to start formulating opinions and performing analysis?  30%  50%  75%?

Or should we all wait, and not post anything at all about Zach, till he plays his last game in 2023?

I would argue the first quarter of a three year period is more than enough to start forming opinions.

And Zach has the power to change those nascent opinions via the quality of his play.

Just let the kid play.

Do we have a choice?  Last I looked, JD controls the Jets, not JN posters.

What we say here has no effect whatsoever on Zach Wilson or his play.  Keep that in mind.