Poll: Mac Jones

Poll: If Mac Jones was a Jet...  

172 members have voted

1. 1. If Mac Jones started for the Jets this year, how would he be doing?

• Just as well as he’s playing for the Patriots
    • Not quite as well as he’s doing for the Pats but still good
    • Mediocre
    • He’d stink

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We've seen Belichick draft quite a few QB's over the years and basically none of them were good outside of Brady.  Not even Garoppolo is really any good.

But now, all of a sudden, Mac Jones performs well as a rookie and Belichick is getting all the credit for being some QB whisperer?  C'mon now.

Mac Jones is pretty good, and he'd be pretty good here too had the Jets drafted him.  Eventually we'll have to deal with that as fans.

I refuse to accept your version of reality.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

None could develop.   Brady won’t give up starts.  Garrapalo is better than any QB we’ve had in 15 years.   BB is doing a really good job and shows how much we don’t know how to run a football team.  

So White, Flacco and Josh Johnson producing solid numbers in this same offense is meaningless to you?  This team just ruins otherwise good QB's left and right?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, heymangold said:

Jimmy G - 2 starts for the Pats, was 2-0. 43/63, 502 yds and 4 tds to 0 INTs.

His year with Cassel saw him go 10-5 with 21 TDs to 11 INTs. 63.3% completion.

Jacoby Brisset was 1-1 with a 61.8% completion rate.

I think you’re understating the affect this coaching staff has on QBs.  Especially since they’ve been the most dominant team in the NFL for the past 20 years or so.  If you put Lawrence or Wilson on the team, they’d be doing just as well.

That's fair, but Cam Newton sucked last year.  And it might as well be ancient history, but Drew Bledsoe was nothing special under Belichick.  Also, Brian Hoyer.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

People around here act like being the only Jets QB this century to throw for 400+ yards in a winning effort is a bad thing.  

Obviously it's because Lafleur moved to the booth but now the league has tape of Lafleur's play-calling in the booth. Ergo, we can attribute Zach with 600 hypothetical yards against the Bengals

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's fair, but Cam Newton sucked last year.  And it might as well be ancient history, but Drew Bledsoe was nothing special under Belichick.  Also, Brian Hoyer.  

If I wasn't on my phone I'd dig up that thread where I got blasted for suggesting Mac was in a much better situation than Zach ("But Pats have no weapons! They are finished! Cam was an NFL MVP and he sucked there!")

My how the narrative has switched.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And Belichick also went on his biggest spending spree ever last year to land many free agents. Mac Jones is partly successful because he was drafted into a franchise that was in 'win now' mode, unlike players like Cam Newton, when the Pats were recovering from Tom Brady's departure. Mac Jones can work in a system built for winning now. If we wanted to take in a ton of free agents and start winning now, then yes. Mac would be successful here. But that's not the plan. The plan is to develop a young team, and I doubt Jones would be nearly as successful here. 

Just now, Hex said:

And Belichick also went on his biggest spending spree ever last year to land many free agents. Mac Jones is partly successful because he was drafted into a franchise that was in 'win now' mode, unlike players like Cam Newton, when the Pats were recovering from Tom Brady's departure. Mac Jones can work in a system built for winning now. If we wanted to take in a ton of free agents and start winning now, then yes. Mac would be successful here. But that's not the plan. The plan is to develop a young team, and I doubt Jones would be nearly as successful here. 

If Josh Johnson can throw for 317 yards and 3 TDs in a game off the bench, I'd hazard a guess that Jones would do just fine here.  Maybe not quite as well as in NE, but we'd be liking his play here.

• Upvote 3

Mac Jones obviously landed in a much better position than Zack Wilson did, that's not debatable. I saw a tweet where someone compared the stats of each QB for the common opponents and it was nearly identical, which was surprising to me (did not fact check). Mac looks much better at this point for sure. Zack looks like he's still rocking a P3 processor while Mac's pace is powered by an i7.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

BB has done a decent job.. it's all I am saying. We have done very poorly and our record shows it.  

I think the team has done poorly on defense and that's where our record is most reflective.  The offense has been fine with 3 QB's under center not named Zach Wilson.  I think that's meaningful.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If Josh Johnson can throw for 317 yards and 3 TDs in a game off the bench, I'd hazard a guess that Jones would do just fine here.  Maybe not quite as well as in NE, but we'd be liking his play here.

Josh Johnson and Mike White are both career journeymen scrubs or grizzled crafty vets through 'multiple off season programs' depending on which is most convenient at that moment.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

How is it possible that every person who thinks Mahomes, Jones, insert any name, wouldn’t be good if they played here are the same exact people who think Wilson can be a great QB here?

I really don’t get it. 
Are they saying Wilson is better than all these guys, or that we should never draft a young QB because they have no shot here?

Someone explain this… please?

It's hope. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You have a good point. However, Johnson has been in the league for a very long time, and has been on almost half of the NFL teams. I have no doubt that if Mac Jones had 10 years of experience by now, for sure he would do better. Plus, Mike White exploded in the Bengals game, but completely crapped the bed against the Bills. Johnson might have just had a one game wonder. You make very good points, though

Mac Jones won the starting QB job in TC against a former NFL MVP QB.   Everyone seems to forget that Mac Jones was handed nothing.  He simply understood the play book and executed every chance he got.  

Zach was handed the playbook and was told it's your job.  They cut Flacco before the season and had two scrubs on the roster as training camp arms and roster back ups.

Honestly I wasn't a fan of Mac Jones and loved the Wilson pick.   Mac Jones is miles better right now and it's not close.  The Jets would still suck on D but I have no doubt our O would be miles better with Mac Jones running it. 

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Hex said:

You have a good point. However, Johnson has been in the league for a very long time, and has been on almost half of the NFL teams. I have no doubt that if Mac Jones had 10 years of experience by now, for sure he would do better. Plus, Mike White exploded in the Bengals game, but completely crapped the bed against the Bills. Johnson might have just had a one game wonder. You make very good points, though

And Mac Jones brings a ton of experience to the table?  People act like we've never seen any rookie QB have success out of the gates before.  And whenever it happens, the QB himself never seems to get much credit.  You even had smooth brains around here crediting Keenan Allen for all of Justin Herbert's success last year.  

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Would take a QB with the output of Garrapolo over Wilson in a heartbeat. 

Jones was the pick. Period, full stop. Alabama played a pro system, against SEC defenses loaded with NFL talent. And Jones excelled. Wilson played in a sheetbag conference against a bunch of guys who are now out of football. Grant Josh Allen played same teams, but he is 6'5", and that was probably a case of big schools missing him; that happens in college. On the one occasion he played a real defense in Tennessee as a junior, he wasn't so great. Jones played against those kinds of defenses every week and was terrific. He's also bigger and stronger than Wilson. Jones has a pro pocket presence, Wilson looks like a kid who got separated from his 8th grade field trip. 

Douglas, being a scout with what he thought was find in Wilson, overthought this. 

In short, this draft was ANOTHER DISASTER. 

They are very close to the same size although Zach appears in better shape.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And Mac Jones brings a ton of experience to the table?  People act like we've never seen any rookie QB have success out of the gates before.  And whenever it happens, the QB himself never seems to get much credit.  You even had smooth brains around here crediting Keenan Allen for all of Justin Herbert's success last year.  

Mac Jones' top 2 targets are Jakobi Meyers and Kendrick Bourne. Both entered the league as... UDFAs.

All about them weapons, baby.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Mac Jones' top 2 targets are Jakobi Meyers and Kendrick Bourne. Both entered the league as... UDFAs.

All about them weapons, baby.

At least we aren't seeing a bunch of posts saying "Those guys are better than anything we have!"  No one can say that with a straight face.  Wilson has plenty of weapons and even his most ardent supporters have to admit that.  

But what they CAN try to do is somehow discredit Jones despite having those as his top 2 targets.  

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nicco said:

He also has the best OL in football, Check out this TD at 1:35 all Mac Jones baby. 

And Justin Herbert had the #32 ranked OL last year. It's almost like... good QBs play good football regardless of circumstances. What a revelation. 

• Upvote 1