Poll: Mac Jones

TuscanyTile2

Poll: If Mac Jones was a Jet...  

172 members have voted

1. 1. If Mac Jones started for the Jets this year, how would he be doing?

• Just as well as he’s playing for the Patriots
    • Not quite as well as he’s doing for the Pats but still good
    • Mediocre
    • He’d stink

41 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Let me make this simple for you.  In this huge metropolitan area the jets aren’t a big deal.  Neither is Zach Wilson.  They are both mildly entertaining and relevant when they are good.  If they win a championship together they will get some attention.  In Cincinnati the Bengals and Joe Borrow are actually a big deal.  They even have talk radio.  Mel from Madeira monologue on Radio one Cincinnati is can’t miss radio.  

Skyline Chili and that’s about it. Old Johnny Bench memories.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Let me make this simple for you.  In this huge metropolitan area the jets aren’t a big deal.  Neither is Zach Wilson.  They are both mildly entertaining and relevant when they are good.  If they win a championship together they will get some attention.  In Cincinnati the Bengals and Joe Borrow are actually a big deal.  They even have talk radio.  Mel from Madeira monologue on Radio one Cincinnati is can’t miss radio.  

Again, you clearly don’t live here so stop with the comments about the NY media market.  Yes, the Jets are not a big deal with the national media, but as someone WHO LIVES HERE I can tell you that the Jets are still being actively covered and discussed by the NY media and NY radio shows.  Do you think all of the beat reporters for numerous NY publications as well as ESPN and The Athletic just stop covering their assigned team when they stop contending?  That’s absurd so just stop it already.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, so did the Hindenburg.   Pray Zack's career does not meet the same fate.   

disaster-hindenburg.gif

Unfair to blame the Hindenburg that was loaded with hydrogen and was basically a floating bomb. It was obviously the wet rope's fault that grounded it and allowed the static discharge.

1 hour ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Again, you clearly don’t live here so stop with the comments about the NY media market.  Yes, the Jets are not a big deal with the national media, but as someone WHO LIVES HERE I can tell you that the Jets are still being actively covered and discussed by the NY media and NY radio shows.  Do you think all of the beat reporters for numerous NY publications as well as ESPN and The Athletic just stop covering their assigned team when they stop contending?  That’s absurd so just stop it already.

I was born and raised in NYC and have lived in the Metro area for over 55 years.  After an 8 year hiatus in Scottsdale I moved back.  When I grew up in NCY we had a dozen newspapers and people actually read them.  Now the NY Times covers the Jets as an afterthought and the Post and News haven't been readable since Breslin and Hamill died.    WFAN has become irrelevant and most of the sports Media doesn't reside or give a sh*t about NY anymore.  

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I was born and raised in NYC and have lived in the Metro area for over 55 years.  After an 8 year hiatus in Scottsdale I moved back.  When I grew up in NCY we had a dozen newspapers and people actually read them.  Now the NY Times covers the Jets as an afterthought and the Post and News haven't been readable since Breslin and Hamill died.    WFAN has become irrelevant and most of the sports Media doesn't reside or give a sh*t about NY anymore.  

I’ve lived here nearly as long and listen to sports radio and read local media almost daily and the Jets are still a regular topic and are covered by more beat writers and blog posters than probably 90% of the other teams in this league (certainly Cincinnati).  Just because you’re a pissed off Jets fan who is choosing to tune out the media coverage doesn’t change the fact that those beat writers still have a job to do and will persistently discuss and ask players like Zach Wilson why they suck at their job right now.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Unfair to blame the Hindenburg that was loaded with hydrogen and was basically a floating bomb. It was obviously the wet rope's fault that grounded it and allowed the static discharge.

I understand this, jgb.  I was just going for a connection/laugh with "flashes" in the other post.

• Upvote 1

Just now, munchmemory said:

I understand this, jgb.  I was just going for a connection/laugh with "flashes" in the other post.

I demand you support the Hindenberg. It could still be a good design. Let's not jump to conclusions.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, jgb said:

I demand you support the Hindenberg. It could still be a good design. Let's not jump to conclusions.

Didn't want to spoil the surprise.  But since you are clearly a fan, I've ordered a slightly smaller replica of the Field Marshall's tribute as your Xmas gift.  Keep a look out for a large crate.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-09774,_Hindenburg-

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Didn't want to spoil the surprise.  But since you are clearly a fan, I've ordered a slightly smaller replica of the Field Marshall's tribute  as your Xmas gift.  Watch for a large crate.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-09774,_Hindenburg-

Generally seen as a dottering fool here in German and not really a willing accomplice of the Great Evil One. Could probably get away with putting it up in my garden lol.

• Haha 1

On 12/1/2021 at 5:04 PM, GangGreened said:

Mac Jones leads the league in games with a 65%+ completion percentage, with Brady in 2nd place.

Regardless of circumstance, that’s impressive for a rookie

And contrary to the dink and dunk narrative, he has a higher YPA than Mahomes or Brady, a higher Intended Air Yards Per Attempt than Herbert and a higher Completed Air Yards Per Completion than Aaron Rodgers. All while being supported by less YAC Per Completion than all of them -- which may have something to do with Mac Jones' top 2 receivers being UDFAs.

Now let's look at their respective PFF OL ranks (as of week 10, latest I could find without a membership):

2. Chiefs

3. Bucs

9. Chargers

11. Pats

12. Packers

The narrative that Mac Jones is a product of some feathered nest where any young QB could succeed is demonstrably, irrefutably false. Anyone who presses it does so at the expense of their own reputation as a thinking individual.

FYI Jets OL #15 -- here is the write-up:

****TRIGGER WARNING****

The Jets' offensive line has been a pleasant surprise this season and may continue to look better if rookie quarterback Zach Wilson is forced from the starting lineup for a while. Wilson has one of the league’s longest average times to throw and has not been helping his line look good. Both Mike White and Josh Johnson were immediately better in that area. This unit has been particularly good as a run-blocking line, ranking 10th league-wide with a 78.5 PFF grade in that facet. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

It literally comes in bags.  The bottom is clear so you can actually see the horror inside.  

image.thumb.png.098be11acab9fc32fa890bf0b50f6289.png

There are people in my family who might, on principle, throw a beatin' on the folks making that garbage.  I just keep staring at the image on the package.   It looks ridiculous.   And one of my pet peeves is folks who serve the pasta undressed with sauce, etc. just  on top.  

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Wilson has one of the league’s longest average times to throw and has not been helping his line look good.

This.  This is the core flaw I see in Zach that he needs to sort out.

I maintain the issue is not his body.  He has all the physical tools required except, perhaps, for ideal overall size.

It's his brain and his eyes.  He does not appear to me to read the field well, does not go through his progressions well, and he does not see open guys pretty regularly (and no, "the play was designed to go to X" is not why). 

He laser-eyes-screws one receiver and if that guy isn't open, he has a bad tendency to just stand there waiting or scramble.

This was the prime thing I saw with White/Johnson/Flacco, they made their reads much faster and the ball was out in a flash compared to Wilson.   It was night and day.

The old "the game is too fast for him, he's just a rookie" argument may be valid, but it can't stay valid for too long.

If he can materially improve in this area, see the field better, he has every chance to be the Man.  

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This.  This is the core flaw O see in Zach that he needs to sort out.

I maintain the issue is not his body.  He has all the physical tools required except, perhaps, for overall size.

It's his brain and his eyes.  He does not appear to me to read the field well, does not go through his progressions well, and he does not see open guys pretty regularly (and no, "the play was designed to go to X" is not why). 

He laser-eyes-crews one receiver and if that guy isn't open, he has a bad tendency to just stand there waiting or scramble.

This was the prime thing I saw with White/Johnson/Flacco, they made their reads much faster and the ball was out in a flash compared to Wilson.   It was night and day.

The old "the game is too fast for him, he's just a rookie" argument may be valid, but it can't stay valid for too long.

If he can materially improve in this area, see the field better, he has every chance to be the Man.  

Slow football brain disease. The same affliction of Sanchez/Geno/Darnold and the downfall of like 90% of highly-drafted QB busts. The other 10% fail because of work ethic/drugs/immaturity/terrible attitude.

• Upvote 1

On 12/1/2021 at 11:04 AM, GangGreened said:

Mac Jones leads the league in games with a 65%+ completion percentage, with Brady in 2nd place.

Regardless of circumstance, that’s impressive for a rookie

Chad Pennington was the all time leader in completion percentage.

If griffin doesn’t drop that TD pass Sunday Wilson ends up with a 63% completion percentage… you think he looked accurate?

Probably the most meaningless stat of them all. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Nicco said:

If griffin doesn’t drop that TD pass Sunday Wilson ends up with a 63% completion percentage… you think he looked accurate?

No hypotheticals please. I’m sure the Pats WRs are capable of dropping balls too. I’ve seen Wilson miss enough wide open targets to mitigate the drops excuse.

and that’s swell. Let’s hope Zach improves his stats in these next 6 games 

12 hours ago, Uncle Nicco said:

I wish you weren't banned so you could explain how it's also meaningless that Mac has a higher YPA than Mahomes or Brady, a higher Intended Air Yards Per Attempt than Herbert and a higher Completed Air Yards Per Completion than Aaron Rodgers. All with 2 UDFAs as his top two WRs and a lower-ranked (according to PFF) OL than all these other QBs except Rodgers, whose OL is ranked one spot lower (#12 versus of #11).