Wilson Bounces Back From Shaky Start but Questions Still Linger

JetNation

Zach Wilson, Mike White

As we pointed out prior to yesterday’s game against the Houston Texans, Jets quarterback Zack Wilson had plenty of things working in his favor.  His offensive coordinator is happier upstairs, he has had some time to sit back and watch the offense perform at a high level and he was likely to see more spread formations than he had in previous starts.  But in the end, none of that really mattered.

Wilson started the game by going a very shaky 1-6 with an interception on a ball that hit running back Ty Johnson in the back when he turned around to start blocking as it appeared he expected Wilson to take off running. In the end, the ball bounced into the hands of a waiting defender.

Throughout the course of the game we saw him sloppy mechanics and misfires from Wilson.  Be it short passes to wide open receivers over the middle uncovered receivers toward the sideline.  Jets fans should enjoy the win because they don’t come along very often, but who can blame them for being concerned about Wilson’s struggles?

Of course it would be silly to give up on the QB after just six NFL starts, but something isn’t right with the second overall pick.  We can talk about college vs the NFL or even level of competition faced at BYU, but none of that should matter.  The physical act of throwing a football to a teammate who is wide open and uncovered just a few yards away should be no different as a Jet or a Cougar.  In watching Wilson, what jumps out most is his mechanics.  They’re wildly inconsistent.

Looks like Wilson short-arms the ball and misses a gimme' completion. Overthinking while his mechanics are wildly inconsistent. pic.twitter.com/JCn1CIotMa

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) November 29, 2021

At BYU, Wilson was the most accurate passer in the country, consistently hitting receivers at every level.  His mechanics weren’t perfect, but they were nowhere near as bad as they’ve been at times with the Jets.  Most alarming is the fact that we’ve seen him doing drills at full speed in recent weeks.  He may not have been game ready, but he was able to do enough that one would have expected his mechanics to be a focal point for the coaching staff.  If they were, they failed to get better.  If they weren’t, they’ve failed to identify what may be his biggest issue.

Credit Wilson for beating himself up a little bit after the game.  Despite the win, the QB acknowledged his poor play and recognized the fact that he’s missing throws that he should be able to connect on

The Jets caught a break on Sunday, but there won’t be many weeks where you get to face a team like the Texans who have a hard time getting things going on either side of the ball.  To Wilson’s credit, he bounced back and did some good things in the second half, but there’s still a ton of work ahead.

The post Wilson Bounces Back From Shaky Start but Questions Still Linger appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Very concerning after he had a couple weeks of practice and his personal QB coach is now on staff.

This is what worries me most.  Plenty of resources dedicated to working with the QB, to include his own personal guy.  Then after a few weeks off, he comes back and his mechanics are still worse than they were in college.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This is what worries me most.  Plenty of resources dedicated to working with the QB, to include his own personal guy.  Then after a few weeks off, he comes back and his mechanics are still worse than they were in college.

It wasn't like he was on vacation....

He was rehabbing from a bad knee.  His knee clearly wasn't 100%...

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

It wasn't like he was on vacation....

He was rehabbing from a bad knee.  His knee clearly wasn't 100%...

It's also not like he was immobilized in a wheelchair.  He was a full go in practice a couple of weeks ago and we saw him running drills during pre-game for the past couple of weeks.  

11 hours ago, JetNation said:

Zach Wilson, Mike White

As we pointed out prior to yesterday’s game against the Houston Texans, Jets quarterback Zack Wilson had plenty of things working in his favor.  His offensive coordinator is happier upstairs, he has had some time to sit back and watch the offense perform at a high level and he was likely to see more spread formations than he had in previous starts.  But in the end, none of that really mattered.

Wilson started the game by going a very shaky 1-6 with an interception on a ball that hit running back Ty Johnson in the back when he turned around to start blocking as it appeared he expected Wilson to take off running. In the end, the ball bounced into the hands of a waiting defender.

Throughout the course of the game we saw him sloppy mechanics and misfires from Wilson.  Be it short passes to wide open receivers over the middle uncovered receivers toward the sideline.  Jets fans should enjoy the win because they don’t come along very often, but who can blame them for being concerned about Wilson’s struggles?

Of course it would be silly to give up on the QB after just six NFL starts, but something isn’t right with the second overall pick.  We can talk about college vs the NFL or even level of competition faced at BYU, but none of that should matter.  The physical act of throwing a football to a teammate who is wide open and uncovered just a few yards away should be no different as a Jet or a Cougar.  In watching Wilson, what jumps out most is his mechanics.  They’re wildly inconsistent.

Looks like Wilson short-arms the ball and misses a gimme' completion. Overthinking while his mechanics are wildly inconsistent. pic.twitter.com/JCn1CIotMa

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) November 29, 2021

At BYU, Wilson was the most accurate passer in the country, consistently hitting receivers at every level.  His mechanics weren’t perfect, but they were nowhere near as bad as they’ve been at times with the Jets.  Most alarming is the fact that we’ve seen him doing drills at full speed in recent weeks.  He may not have been game ready, but he was able to do enough that one would have expected his mechanics to be a focal point for the coaching staff.  If they were, they failed to get better.  If they weren’t, they’ve failed to identify what may be his biggest issue.

Credit Wilson for beating himself up a little bit after the game.  Despite the win, the QB acknowledged his poor play and recognized the fact that he’s missing throws that he should be able to connect on

The Jets caught a break on Sunday, but there won’t be many weeks where you get to face a team like the Texans who have a hard time getting things going on either side of the ball.  To Wilson’s credit, he bounced back and did some good things in the second half, but there’s still a ton of work ahead.

The post Wilson Bounces Back From Shaky Start but Questions Still Linger appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

The answer is right in front of us.  It's obvious.  We put Mike White in at QB for the screen passes and checkdowns.  We put Zach in for 2nd and 3rd downs needing 8 yards or more.

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Name Mac Jones’ top 2 WRs.  Go.  

And there were 0 problems with the offense when 3 QBs not named Zach Wilson were under center, so…

0 problems? Where does this narrative come from? 

In the last 3 games before the Texans game we scored 17 points in the Bills game (in a blowout loss), 17 points against the dolphins, and were down 42-10 to the colts before the Josh Johnson show in garbage time. We moved the ball well between the 20s, but the notion that the offense was a juggernaut without Wilson is just silly

we also lost all of those games

i think y’all drank a little too much Mike white kool aid after the bengals game  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And there were 0 problems with the offense when 3 QBs not named Zach Wilson were under center, so…

LOL - 0 problems? white had 4 INTs (should have been more); he also got knocked out of a game; JJ throw a game losing INT in the Red Zone; Flacco tried the dink and dunk game and the team came up short, but yeah, no problems.

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

LOL - 0 problems? white had 4 INTs (should have been more); he also got knocked out of a game; JJ throw a game losing INT in the Red Zone; Flacco tried the dink and dunk game and the team came up short, but yeah, no problems.

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

0 problems? Where does this narrative come from? 

In the last 3 games before the Texans game we scored 17 points in the Bills game (in a blowout loss), 17 points against the dolphins, and were down 42-10 to the colts before the Josh Johnson show in garbage time. We moved the ball well between the 20s, but the notion that the offense was a juggernaut without Wilson is just silly

we also lost all of those games

i think y’all drank a little too much Mike white kool aid after the bengals game  

Yet those scrub QB's all produced much, much better numbers overall than Zach Wilson. 

No one here was complaining about the offense when Wilson was out.  Elijah Moore won a ROW, the running game was playing excellently, the OL looked good.  It was all about the defense being the problem, and people couldn't wait to see how Wilson would do upon his return.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I couldn’t name 90 percent of the receivers on all the other teams these days…except for Stephan diggs..

39 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

He hasn't hit easy throws all season. 

Honestly don't recall week 1 all that well, but I know that in the week 2 loss I said he had some of the worst mechanics I'd ever seen.  This didn't start recently from what I've seen.

14 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Honestly don't recall week 1 all that well, but I know that in the week 2 loss I said he had some of the worst mechanics I'd ever seen.  This didn't start recently from what I've seen.

I have a hard time remembering a play Zach actually hit a receiver in stride and I'm not kidding

6 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I was telling the guys at work (after they had a good laugh about the shovel pass by Zach Wilson) Uncle Nicco says it was a legit play by Zach it was Ty's fault for deciding to turn and block for his QB how dare he

Honestly, if wasn't a good play, but if you watch it again, you see that it's a shovel pass he's made before without problems (as recently as the NE game). The problem was he made the decision to pitch it to Johnson too late. It needed to be done a half second earlier. By the time he decided to pitch it, Johnson was already turning around to block for him. But you saw what he was doing and he's done it successfully before. Those sort of plays don't bother me that much. It's not like he was throwing to no man's land or just didn't see something. Rookies make mistakes like that. Making decisions quicker comes with experience. 

What is MUCH more concerning about Wilson is the short term accuracy. Rifling balls over guys heads and into the turf less than 10 yards away will get you benched before the end of next season. I have no doubt that can be fixed, but he'll have to prove he can get that done. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Honestly, if wasn't a good play, but if you watch it again, you see that it's a shovel pass he's made before without problems (as recently as the NE game). The problem was he made the decision to pitch it to Johnson too late. It needed to be done a half second earlier. By the time he decided to pitch it, Johnson was already turning around to block for him. But you saw what he was doing and he's done it successfully before. Those sort of plays don't bother me that much. It's not like he was throwing to no man's land or just didn't see something. Rookies make mistakes like that. 

What is MUCH more concerning about Wilson is the short term accuracy. Rifling balls over guys heads and into the turf less than 10 yards away will get you benched before the end of next season. I have no doubt that can be fixed, but he'll have to prove he can get that done. 

I think he is exactly what we are seeing. When it comes to the alarming inaccuracy in the short passing game that's not a rookie mistake that's just terrible QBing. Understanding what a defense is doing is something Rookies struggle with not throwing passes so off line they are uncatchable and even when he does hit a receiver its never in stride. If you are a rookie QB and you have guys running open, you hit them, that does not change at any level, he's open you hit him period. Rookie mistakes like throwing into coverage are understandable not hitting open guys is  a huge concern and that's not something you learn, you are either accurate or you're not. Rifling a ball at a WR 5 yards away is not a good choice either. You expect even rookie QB to perform the basics of the position

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Honestly, if wasn't a good play, but if you watch it again, you see that it's a shovel pass he's made before without problems (as recently as the NE game). The problem was he made the decision to pitch it to Johnson too late. It needed to be done a half second earlier. By the time he decided to pitch it, Johnson was already turning around to block for him. But you saw what he was doing and he's done it successfully before. Those sort of plays don't bother me that much. It's not like he was throwing to no man's land or just didn't see something. Rookies make mistakes like that. Making decisions quicker comes with experience. 

Yup.  Was watching on my phone for the first qtr and the feed hiccuped during that play.  All i saw was the tail end of the replay and thought it was a moronic play by Zach.

Watched the game again this AM and saw that when he was starting to flip it, Johnson was looking right at him.  Just bad luck that he turned to block as Zach made the flip.

When he makes that play vs NE everyone is pumped because it's the "off script" stuff we were excited about.  When the receiver turns his back and it's a turnover, Zach is dumb for trying it.  

20 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I think he is exactly what we are seeing. When it comes to the alarming inaccuracy in the short passing game that's not a rookie mistake that's just terrible QBing. Understanding what a defense is doing is something Rookies struggle with not throwing passes so off line they are uncatchable and even when he does hit a receiver its never in stride. If you are a rookie QB and you have guys running open, you hit them, that does not change at any level, he's open you hit him period. Rookie mistakes like throwing into coverage are understandable not hitting open guys is  a huge concern and that's not something you learn, you are either accurate or you're not. Rifling a ball at a WR 5 yards away is not a good choice either. You expect even rookie QB to perform the basics of the position

Josh allen missed alot of the dame throws as a rookie. Not saying wilson will become as good as Allen but maybe give it a little more time.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Josh allen missed alot of the dame throws as a rookie. Not saying wilson will become as good as Allen but maybe give it a little more time.

Hey I like Wilson I hope he turns it around but there are certain things that are really bothersome about his game. Part of the problem for Rookies is actually finding the open guy and going through progressions but if you drop back and find the open man there is no reason to completely miss him none at all. Most of the issues you should see with rookies is throwing into coverage or making ill advised throws not completely missing open guys within 10 yards. I'm not going to make excuses for the kid simply because I want him to succeed and when I see people doing that I'm calling them out. I did it with Sanchez because i felt he had the talent to turn things around and he did show some promise in playoff games when it really counted but then the next season would start and it was back to the same old crappy accuracy and bad decisions.

14 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Hey I like Wilson I hope he turns it around but there are certain things that are really bothersome about his game. Part of the problem for Rookies is actually finding the open guy and going through progressions but if you drop back and find the open man there is no reason to completely miss him none at all. Most of the issues you should see with rookies is throwing into coverage or making ill advised throws not completely missing open guys within 10 yards. I'm not going to make excuses for the kid simply because I want him to succeed and when I see people doing that I'm calling them out. I did it with Sanchez because i felt he had the talent to turn things around and he did show some promise in playoff games when it really counted but then the next season would start and it was back to the same old crappy accuracy and bad decisions.

If he is missing these throws next yr I'll agree with what your are saying. He does mis easy throws that's for sure. 

• Upvote 1