2022 New York Mets thread

Scott Dierking

10 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Feeding on the bottom dwellers! 10 games up

Beating up on a couple of Division rivals who are struggling is the perfect lead in for the road trip that starts tomorrow.  Lead is up to 10.5 games after the Braves lost last night, nice cushion for what will be a monster of a trip with a banged up rotation.  Just give me 5-5 out west and I will be happy.

• Upvote 4

On 6/1/2022 at 9:13 AM, Lith said:

Beating up on a couple of Division rivals who are struggling is the perfect lead in for the road trip that starts tomorrow.  Lead is up to 10.5 games after the Braves lost last night, nice cushion for what will be a monster of a trip with a banged up rotation.  Just give me 5-5 out west and I will be happy.

5-5 and you'll be happy?  You must be aware then that they're on top of the worst division arguably in baseball.  Now, if they come back with a record of 7-3 or better, you may have something.  Dodgers have lost 3 in a row.  

3 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

5-5 and you'll be happy?  You must be aware then that they're on top of the worst division arguably in baseball.  Now, if they come back with a record of 7-3 or better, you may have something.  Dodgers have lost 3 in a row.  

To the Pirates, no less.

13 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

The Dodgers losing to the Pirates goes to show that “on any given day….” Playing the defending WS champions cross country is a tough ask. Mets pitching was good, Dodgers better. You ask any coach… .500 on the road is a benchmark to a good season. Anything over that is icing. 

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

To the Pirates, no less.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

You play .500 Ball on the road, and play .667 ball at home, that gives you 95 wins. That is what good teams should aspire to be over the long haul.

A 5-5 trip is fine at this time.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

If we get through the all-star break up by 5 or more games in the division, and get DeGrom, Scherzer and Megill back, I'll take that.  Of course I want to maintain the lead we have, but down three starters, that's a big ask.  Frankly, this team has overcome injury issues that would have tanked them in past seasons.  It's weird how some years are just different.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If we get through the all-star break up by 5 or more games in the division, and get DeGrom, Scherzer and Megill back, I'll take that.  Of course I want to maintain the lead we have, but down three starters, that's a big ask.  Frankly, this team has overcome injury issues that would have tanked them in past seasons.  It's weird how some years are just different.

Leadership matters.

• Upvote 3

ESPN just listed Alvarez as one of the top 8 prospects not called up yet. It's a shame he's likely not ready to get called up this year. This would have been a perfect time and place to bring the guy up if he was (long road trip). Finally seeing them against another elite team this past weekend it became pretty obvious that catcher is by far the biggest hole on the team. 

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

ESPN just listed Alvarez as one of the top 8 prospects not called up yet. It's a shame he's likely not ready to get called up this year. This would have been a perfect time and place to bring the guy up if he was (long road trip). Finally seeing them against another elite team this past weekend it became pretty obvious that catcher is by far the biggest hole on the team. 

IMHO, it's set up and closer. Our catchers won't wreck games like Lugo and Diaz.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Alvarez still has work to do on the defensive side.  He will not turn 21 until November. When was the last time the Mets had a great catching prospect? Tood Hundley?

St least they turned Ed Hearn into David Cone.

5 hours ago, faba said:

Good start to San Diego loved those at bats in first inning making Snell work real hard 

Yup.  Went to sleep before the late inning fun, but those at bats in the first inning were great.  Real nice first half to this trip.  A Mets team being carried by the bats - never thought I would see that.

• Upvote 1

So four games in eight days out here, the Mets never play in Anaheim so finally getting down there for an actual Mets series was great. Here are some thoughts after spending a good chunk of my daughter's college tuition on good seats for 4 games:

- Marte is a way bigger part of the offense than fans and even the SNY crew sometimes give him credit for. Everyone just moves around the bases better when he is out there. Davis, Walker, and Alonso have gotten the credit for yesterday, but I dunno, I think they won because Marte was back. A lot of little things happen on the bases when he’s out there compared to when he’s not.

- Nimmo not being able to steal, or even attempt to steal, is becoming a real hinderance in a lot of situations. For example there was an AB last Sat against the Dodgers (before the Mets pulled away) with 2-out and Marte was down 0-2, clear steal situation, and Buck couldn't even send him. Everyone is a big Nimmo fan and rightfully so, he's a great player, but your leadoff guy not even being able to attempt to steal is really weird. 

- I understand that the Mets have to go all-in on this year because they have a shot, and that's fine. But the Mets shift a lot. So do the Angels and Dodgers, but there's no way as much as the Mets. With the ban happening next year it has me wondering if they will have some defensive lapses at the beginning of 2023. If they were not making a run this year I would think they start working on that now, but I guess they can't. Still, holy crap. That said, on this particular note I think having Lindor is such a relief. I get that his hitting may not live up to the contract so far, but that may change because we are probably heading into an era where the defensive shortstop becomes as valued as it used to be and Lindor might be the best in the game. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So four games in eight days out here, the Mets never play in Anaheim so finally getting down there for an actual Mets series was great. Here are some thoughts after spending a good chunk of my daughter's college tuition on good seats for 4 games:

- Marte is a way bigger part of the offense than fans and even the SNY crew sometimes give him credit for. Everyone just moves around the bases better when he is out there. Davis, Walker, and Alonso have gotten the credit for yesterday, but I dunno, I think they won because Marte was back. A lot of little things happen on the bases when he’s out there compared to when he’s not.

- Nimmo not being able to steal, or even attempt to steal, is becoming a real hinderance in a lot of situations. For example there was an AB last Sat against the Dodgers (before the Mets pulled away) with 2-out and Marte was down 0-2, clear steal situation, and Buck couldn't even send him. Everyone is a big Nimmo fan and rightfully so, he's a great player, but your leadoff guy not even being able to attempt to steal is really weird. 

- I understand that the Mets have to go all-in on this year because they have a shot, and that's fine. But the Mets shift a lot. So do the Angels and Dodgers, but there's no way as much as the Mets. With the ban happening next year it has me wondering if they will have some defensive lapses at the beginning of 2023. If they were not making a run this year I would think they start working on that now, but I guess they can't. Still, holy crap. That said, on this particular note I think having Lindor is such a relief. I get that his hitting may not live up to the contract so far, but that may change because we are probably heading into an era where the defensive shortstop becomes as valued as it used to be and Lindor might be the best in the game. 

Mets use the 'shift" second most in baseball.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/visuals/team-positioning

More intricate to this discussion, and I don't know how to research this, is how much do teams pitch to their shift? In as much, how many teams are defeating their shift by pitching against it? 

Converse of this, is how much the Mets seem to beat the shift. Credit has to go to Eric Chavez here, and the approach hitters are taking. When was the last time Mets were top 3 in the league in runs scored? That and the 2 out approach has been awesome.

One rule change which seems like it will be implemented is the pitch clock. Last report that I saw in the minor league experiment, is that they were shortening games by 20 minutes. I am sure the mlb players will find a way to screw this up.

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Mets use the 'shift" second most in baseball.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/visuals/team-positioning

More intricate to this discussion, and I don't know how to research this, is how much do teams pitch to their shift? In as much, how many teams are defeating their shift by pitching against it? 

Converse of this, is how much the Mets seem to beat the shift. Credit has to go to Eric Chavez here, and the approach hitters are taking. When was the last time Mets were top 3 in the league in runs scored? That and the 2 out approach has been awesome.

One rule change which seems like it will be implemented is the pitch clock. Last report that I saw in the minor league experiment, is that they were shortening games by 20 minutes. I am sure the mlb players will find a way to screw this up.

Yep. All of a sudden Alonso is willing to pick his shots and he’s such a better hitter for it. 

I go back and forth on the shift stuff. On the one hand a guy should be able to hit it the other way but it’s hard to ignore the toll it’s taken on the game. 

1 hour ago, faba said:

We knew June was going to be a rough schedule longest road trip of season is over so lets start a winning streak to match Atlanta who is red hot but beating a lot of sub 500 teams

They dont even need a win streak like that, they just need to go back to winning series.  

Be really cool to this team with their full pitching staff. 

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Nice comeback win. Cahna in the lead off slot with Nimmo cooling off. 2-4 HR and 2 RBI’s 

Lugo strong Diaz gets roughed up but player thrown out at HP and strikes out Yellich with tying run on 3rd. He is so up & down. 

Diaz got roughed up, but nohting was hit hard.  Defense bailed him out after a couple of tough breaks on the two flairs that fell in.

We need Scherzer and deGrom back soon, especially with Megill going down again last night.  It is going to be a dog fight with the Braves for the Division and likely a first round bye (if I remember correctly how the new playoff format work).  They are bound to lose some games, at some point.  But they will be right there with us battling through the summer.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Diaz got roughed up, but nohting was hit hard.  Defense bailed him out after a couple of tough breaks on the two flairs that fell in.

We need Scherzer and deGrom back soon, especially with Megill going down again last night.  It is going to be a dog fight with the Braves for the Division and likely a first round bye (if I remember correctly how the new playoff format work).  They are bound to lose some games, at some point.  But they will be right there with us battling through the summer.

Every time I watch the Braves I am so envious. Their farm system is loaded and they develop players to be 5 tool studs. Mets are soooo far behind after several bad trades. 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Every time I watch the Braves I am so envious. Their farm system is loaded and they develop players to be 5 tool studs. Mets are soooo far behind after several bad trades. 

And today, the Braves get to carry their 14 game winning streak int Wrigley against the Cubs and their 10 game losing streak.  Would be great if Cubs can end both streaks this weekend.  Braves have to lose again sometime.  Right.

• Post of the Week 1