2022 New York Mets thread

Scott Dierking

Alderson, on podcast with Heyman today said the Mets are intent on adding:

-A DH position. Said that he does not believe many teams will be looking for this type of position. Maybe, maybe not.

-Bullpen arm(s). Says that these have a habit of coming fairly cheaply also.

Not interested in selling off any prospects. Mentions what happened with Crow-Armstrong last year. Said they would rather take on contracts with money attached rather going the prospect avenue.

Rare candid discussion with Alderson.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

-A DH position. Said that he does not believe many teams will be looking for this type of position. Maybe, maybe not.

Not interested in selling off any prospects. Mentions what happened with Crow-Armstrong last year. Said they would rather take on contracts with money attached rather going the prospect avenue.

This is great, really like this approach but be aggressive this year, dont let your division foes get that much better again this year, go hard and get who you want.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

This is great, really like this approach but be aggressive this year, dont let your division foes get that much better again this year, go hard and get who you want.

Nats have 2 decent DH types in both Cruz and Bell. They may be less willing to sell in division.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Nats have 2 decent DH types in both Cruz and Bell. They may be less willing to sell in division.

Think the White Sox would be interested in moving Gavin Sheets?  They don’t use him against lefties so I can’t imagine he’s super valuable to them, particularly after getting Eloy Jimenez back.  Plus they already have Andrew Vaughn as their regular DH.  

I know they’re in the hunt but at 41-45 and 6 games out in the Central perhaps they’ll be willing to make something happen? 

Last night was telling and really illustrated @Scott Dierking the need for a serious bat at DH.  If its not obvious, the Mets will collapse because they're terrible at the plate.   We cant hit but watching the Braves, can they?  They're really not an impressive team, like not really at all.  Not that it's common but nobody over .300, a few in the .290 range but all they do is hit bombs.  The Mets have 2 players w/ 10+ homeruns.  The Braves have 7 dude over 10+ and then you look at slugging %.   The Braves lowest slug % in the line up, .360.  The Braves had 7 players last night w/ over .400 slug %, the Mets had 3.  This is your direct competition within the division.  It cant be this lopsided.  The Mets absolutely MUST, address the bats and bring in guys who can hit bombs.  That's the league now.  ******* figure it out already.

And get Dom Smith off this ******* team.  He is ******* terrible and he seemingly doesnt care.  He's so flippant toward his ineptitude.  The dude hasnt hit a homerun in like 2 years and he can even get the ******* bat on a fast ball over the plate.  He's an automatic out and it's been like that for a while.  

If the Mets arent super aggressive before the deadline, it's going to be another wasted hot start of sitting in 1st place for months only to choke out like they always do.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Last night was telling and really illustrated @Scott Dierking the need for a serious bat at DH.  If its not obvious, the Mets will collapse because they're terrible at the plate.   We cant hit but watching the Braves, can they?  They're really not an impressive team, like not really at all.  Not that it's common but nobody over .300, a few in the .290 range but all they do is hit bombs.  The Mets have 2 players w/ 10+ homeruns.  The Braves have 7 dude over 10+ and then you look at slugging %.   The Braves lowest slug % in the line up, .360.  The Braves had 7 players last night w/ over .400 slug %, the Mets had 3.  This is your direct competition within the division.  It cant be this lopsided.  The Mets absolutely MUST, address the bats and bring in guys who can hit bombs.  That's the league now.  ******* figure it out already.

And get Dom Smith off this ******* team.  He is ******* terrible and he seemingly doesnt care.  He's so flippant toward his ineptitude.  The dude hasnt hit a homerun in like 2 years and he can even get the ******* bat on a fast ball over the plate.  He's an automatic out and it's been like that for a while.  

If the Mets arent super aggressive before the deadline, it's going to be another wasted hot start of sitting in 1st place for months only to choke out like they always do.

You are correct. They need a big, proven bat in the lineup that threatens power. That is the basis that the DH position was built upon. Dom is now a slap hitter that is blind at the bottom of the strike zone. Too many times he has been called out on 3rd strikes that clearly hit the bottom of the zone and walks away shaking his head.

JD is the opposite. He can't touch anything hard at the top of the zone. And of course, pitchers know that. he is a mistake hitter.

The law of averages has caught up to the Mets. They were outrageous in the first 2/3 of this part of the schedule with runners in scoring position. It was unsustainable, and it has caught up to them.  

They need a corner outfielder that is a masher as well. They have 2 center fielder 2 types in Nimmo and Marte. Canha is a very nice player, but the power is non-existent, so when you have that outfield alignment, you are short on power in your OF in comparison to what most other clubs have,

Guillorme and Mcneil are somewhat a redundancy as well. Line drive hitters with not a lot of pop. Great to have one in the line-up, but when you put them together, especially with that outfield alignment your line-up does not scare anyone. 

They do work counts better than any line-up around. They get pitch counts up, so they have that going for them. 

I know the Mets are kind of stuck between winning now, and waiting for some of their kids to develop. But, you do not sign Scherzer to wait on kids. There is a small window here, before they retool a little bit. 

The Nimmo non-contract news is somewhat interesting. I wonder what they are thinking there? He is a great player and a baller, but they seem tepid on him. My BIG hope is that they let him go BUT bring in Trey Turner to play CF for them. I would be all in on that move. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

You are correct. They need a big, proven bat in the lineup that threatens power. That is the basis that the DH position was built upon. Dom is now a slap hitter that is blind at the bottom of the strike zone. Too many times he has been called out on 3rd strikes that clearly hit the bottom of the zone and walks away shaking his head.

JD is the opposite. He can't touch anything hard at the top of the zone. And of course, pitchers know that. he is a mistake hitter.

The law of averages has caught up to the Mets. They were outrageous in the first 2/3 of this part of the schedule with runners in scoring position. It was unsustainable, and it has caught up to them.  

They need a corner outfielder that is a masher as well. They have 2 center fielder 2 types in Nimmo and Marte. Canha is a very nice player, but the power is non-existent, so when you have that outfield alignment, you are short on power in your OF in comparison to what most other clubs have,

Guillorme and Mcneil are somewhat a redundancy as well. Line drive hitters with not a lot of pop. Great to have one in the line-up, but when you put them together, especially with that outfield alignment your line-up does not scare anyone. 

They do work counts better than any line-up around. They get pitch counts up, so they have that going for them. 

I know the Mets are kind of stuck between winning now, and waiting for some of their kids to develop. But, you do not sign Scherzer to wait on kids. There is a small window here, before they retool a little bit. 

The Nimmo non-contract news is somewhat interesting. I wonder what they are thinking there? He is a great player and a baller, but they seem tepid on him. My BIG hope is that they let him go BUT bring in Trey Turner to play CF for them. I would be all in on that move. 

Oh, and the Braves have been exposed a little bit too. Give the Mets credit, as they seem to have some sharp advance scouts that put together some great reports on how to approach hitters. Olson has been exposed a little--And I know he hit a 2run bomb yesterday, but that was a missed location pitch. 

But damn, that Austin Riley is going to be a bear for years to come. Another Brave #rd baseman to torment the Mets.

• Upvote 3

Tough to go into the biggest series of the year with half a MLB lineup.  Guillorme hitting cleanup this afternoon.  Jankowski, Nido and Dom don't belong in the lineup on an everyday basis.  Nido is a back up, who has been a nice part-time player.  Escobar needs to start swinging the bat (almost on cue he goes deep 1-0).

No Marte, McNeil and McCann.  Get today's game and lets get the heck out of Atlanta and hopefully we are healthy when we see them next time.

• Upvote 2

Lindor is the first switch hitting SS in the history of the NL to have 60 RBIs before the break. 

The man may be streaky but it’s hard to ignore that in the aggregate he is having a solid year and has had plenty of moments where he's put the team on his back for the day.

The Braves are a decent team that went on an insane run, but I can't say I came away from this series all that impressed with them. Excepting bullpens, the Mets are better in almost every other area when healthy. The Dodgers were a way tougher matchup for this year's team. 

Mets have a lot of games against the Braves in August. Buck needs to do everything in his power to make sure they see plenty of Max and DeGrom. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Tough to go into the biggest series of the year with half a MLB lineup.  Guillorme hitting cleanup this afternoon.  Jankowski, Nido and Dom don't belong in the lineup on an everyday basis.  Nido is a back up, who has been a nice part-time player.  Escobar needs to start swinging the bat (almost on cue he goes deep 1-0).

No Marte, McNeil and McCann.  Get today's game and lets get the heck out of Atlanta and hopefully we are healthy when we see them next time.

Damn, you did again!!!!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Lith said:

In all their stretches of guys being out here and there this year, end of the day the Mets have had Lindor and Alonso right in the heart of things most days. Seems like no matter what's going on, one of those two seem to step up when they need it. 

23 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I'm not sure what previous FO's would have done with Alvarez in a year like this but I am positive they would have made the wrong decision. Nice to finally have a FO that you can trust to maybe not hit the nail on the head, but at least not do anything disastrous. 

52 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

In all their stretches of guys being out here and there this year, end of the day the Mets have had Lindor and Alonso right in the heart of things most days. Seems like no matter what's going on, one of those two seem to step up when they need it. 

Game 1 was Scherzer.  Today was Lindor with the bat and the glove.  And Alonso has been driving in runs all season.  This is what you want out of your stars.

Hopefully we get Marte and McNeil back in Chicago, and Jake after the AS Break and put the struggles of the last month behind us.  And even the struggling has been pretty good: 13-12 in June and 8-5 so far in July.  21-17 is pretty good for a rough patch.  Its just the the Braves got so damn hot at the same time that it has magnified things.

Feeling pretty good with where we are right now.  But I still hope we add a bat and maybe a reliever at the deadline.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Game 1 was Scherzer.  Today was Lindor with the bat and the glove.  And Alonso has been driving in runs all season.  This is what you want out of your stars.

Hopefully we get Marte and McNeil back in Chicago, and Jake after the AS Break and put the struggles of the last month behind us.  And even the struggling has been pretty good: 13-12 in June and 8-5 so far in July.  21-17 is pretty good for a rough patch.  Its just the the Braves got so damn hot at the same time that it has magnified things.

Feeling pretty good with where we are right now.  But I still hope we add a bat and maybe a reliever at the deadline.

I’m fine if they don’t get another bat, but they need 2 relievers. Buck has confidence in Ottovino but everyone else is a big if every game. Lugo and Smith have become completely unreliable.

39 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Doubleheader today. @Lith, were you scheduled to attend the Sat. Sun. games? If so, get there early today and you can cram 3 games into 1 weekend! 

I had tickets for yesterday and today.  So I will be at both ends of the doubleheader.  But not going tomorrow.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I had tickets for yesterday and today.  So I will be at both ends of the doubleheader.  But not going tomorrow.

Hoping for the sweep. Stroman  v. Walker should be a good matchup. Seeing  Sherzer will be fun

1 hour ago, Flightattendant said:

I grabbed some tickets for the early game today too!

I will be at The Country Club on Clark Street before the game (also doubles as the Jet bar during the season), if you want to swing by and say hello to some fellow Met fans.

• Sympathy 1

Ah damn sorry I seen this late. Hope you're having fun. 

5 hours ago, Lith said:

I will be at The Country Club on Clark Street before the game (also doubles as the Jet bar during the season), if you want to swing by and say hello to some fellow Met fans.

6 hours ago, Lith said:

I think I just seen you on the big screen hahah. Are you in a black jets Tee?

On 7/12/2022 at 10:48 AM, Lith said:

OK.  I will give it another shot.  Split these next two in Atlanta and then 3 of 4 in Wrigley to head into the All Star break.  Including wins in Chicago for the Firday and Saturday games, since I will be at both of those. 

Have not seen a live Met game since 2019; really looking forward to this weekend..

we’ll you got a great 1st Game if you like good pitching. Hopefully game two has a lot of Mets offense so you can cut out early and beat the traffic.

• Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, Lith said:

Lucky you, you got a bunch of free baseball! 

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Flightattendant said:

I think I just seen you on the big screen hahah. Are you in a black jets Tee?

Nope.  That was not me.  I was in a Mets tee.  Jets gear is reserved for Sundays in the fall.

Fun afternoon (and evening) at the ballpark. 

Certainly no offensive explosion, but what really struck me yesterday is how good our infield defense is this season.  Escobar made a couple of great, game saving plays in game 1.  Davis, playing out of position and picking the throw by Escobar in the 10th with the winning run at 3rd.  Alonso's catch in game two.  The ability of the middle infield to turn just about every conceivable double play.  We made every play.  And they didn't.  Defense matters, we don't give games away anymore -- like the Cubs did in game 2. 

We may get beat if the other team pitches or hits better than we do, but we don't beat ourselves.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Fun afternoon (and evening) at the ballpark. 

Certainly no offensive explosion, but what really struck me yesterday is how good our infield defense is this season.  Escobar made a couple of great, game saving plays in game 1.  Davis, playing out of position and picking the throw by Escobar in the 10th with the winning run at 3rd.  Alonso's catch in game two.  The ability of the middle infield to turn just about every conceivable double play.  We made every play.  And they didn't.  Defense matters, we don't give games away anymore -- like the Cubs did in game 2. 

We may get beat if the other team pitches or hits better than we do, but we don't beat ourselves.

Not many team’s have better pitching than what we’re getting from our SP right now. 
Peterson is returning to form. Walker going deep into games, Cookie starting to find his stuff and Sherzer a beast  

Hoping deGrom can join us and stay healthy for the rest of the season. If so… we’ll be in good shape heading into August  

• Sympathy 1

The Mets def an upgrade at backup catcher Patrick M just isn’t hitting MLB pitching and doesn’t look like he ever will. One guy I’d like to reacquire if healthy and that’s a big if is Wilson Ramos. He had an ACL tear last year while playing for Cleveland. We have a big league prospect Alvarezcurrently at Syracuse but prob not ready maybe next season. He’s so far 2 for 23 at Syracuse after a very good first half at AA. 

6 hours ago, Lith said:

Mets select #11 & #14 this evening in the draft. Two key pieces needed to fill MLB holes after we give Soto 

Dr Evil GIF by Product Hunt

38 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Mets select #11 & #14 this evening in the draft. Two key pieces needed to fill MLB holes after we give Soto 

Dr Evil GIF by Product Hunt

It will be interesting to see where Kumar Rocker will be selected. He recently returned to pitch games in an independent league and was well scouted and pitched well. Last year after the Mets declined to sign him after selecting him claiming he was injured a few months later he actually had surgery. One of those first round picks was returned to the Mets after not signing him. 

27 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It will be interesting to see where Kumar Rocker will be selected. He recently returned to pitch games in an independent league and was well scouted and pitched well. Last year after the Mets declined to sign him after selecting him claiming he was injured a few months later he actually had surgery. One of those first round picks was returned to the Mets after not signing him. 

Yes…. I remember it ALL TOO WELL

Lost season for a #1 pick. I was pissed. Sandy better mail these picks. He doesn’t give me much confidence. Why can’t we draft like Dodgers, Astros, Braves or Yanks?