2022 New York Mets thread

Scott Dierking

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

It will be interesting to see where Kumar Rocker will be selected.

3rd overall to Texas.  Never saw that coming.  Reunited with former Vandy teammate Jack Leiter who went to the Rangers last year.

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

3rd overall to Texas.  Never saw that coming.  Reunited with former Vandy teammate Jack Leiter who went to the Rangers last year.

Mets go with best overall Catcher from GT. 6’1 with a big bat and arm. 

Curious with Alvarez as our long term catcher and #2 prospect in all of the minor league

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2022/7/20/23271992/mlb-trade-rumor-mets-pirates-daniel-vogelbach-dh

According to Michael Mayer, the Mets are showing interest in DH/1B Daniel Vogelbach, currently of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Vogelbach, who has a team option on his contract for next season, would represent an upgrade from the DH position for the Mets. 

With a .662 OPS, the Mets’ production from the DH role is 24th in the big leagues, with most of that production coming from Francisco Lindor and Pete Alonso, two position players who occasionally get rotated into that position. Vogelbach’s OPS is more than one hundred points higher than that, at .769. Vogelbach has 12 home runs and ten doubles on the season, as compared to the nine home runs and 18 doubles hit by the Mets thus far, with only three homers and 13 doubles not by Lindor or Alonso. 

Vogelbach would likely mean either a trade or another trip to Triple-A for Dominic Smith, whose positional inflexibility and offensive drought this season means that he is redundant with Vogelbach on the roster.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I read this as Scott Boras is telling teams that Soto wants to play for the wealthiest owner in the game.  So if you want Soto, you better be ready to pay up.

Absolutely. FWIW, the Mets have the #2 and #20 MLB prospects, Alvarez and Baty, plus two more in the top 100, and that's not including P Matt Allan, who is one year removed from Tommy John and was our #2 prospect before he got hurt. It would probably take 3 of them plus taking back either Strassberg or Corbin's contracts. Cohen has said many times that he wants us to be like the Dodgers, and just keep bringing up guys to play in the bigs. I can't see him destroying the farm system to get Soto., although taking a power hitting C with their 1st pick in the draft does make you think twice.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, section314 said:

Absolutely. FWIW, the Mets have the #2 and #20 MLB prospects, Alvarez and Baty, plus two more in the top 100, and that's not including P Matt Allan, who is one year removed from Tommy John and was our #2 prospect before he got hurt. It would probably take 3 of them plus taking back either Strassberg or Corbin's contracts. Cohen has said many times that he wants us to be like the Dodgers, and just keep bringing up guys to play in the bigs. I can't see him destroying the farm system to get Soto., although taking a power hitting C with their 1st pick in the draft does make you think twice.

Well, we traded away a good young arm yesterday for Vogelbach. Yesterday’s offensive drought shows we need another bat. That said, Darvish is a pitcher with 4 quality pitches. He kept the Mets off balance all night. 75 mph curve to a 95 mph 4-seam FB.

Tip the cap to him & hope we light it up today

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Well, we traded away a good young arm yesterday for Vogelbach. Yesterday’s offensive drought shows we need another bat. That said, Darvish is a pitcher with 4 quality pitches. He kept the Mets off balance all night. 75 mph curve to a 95 mph 4-seam FB.

Tip the cap to him & hope we light it up today

Yes, but a major upgrade vs RHP in our lineup. Vogelbach has over .800 career OPS vs RHP. Probably meant that Baltimore is not going to trade Mancini or wanted too much. Wonder if Bennedeti is the target? 

25 minutes ago, section314 said:

Yes, but a major upgrade vs RHP in our lineup. Vogelbach has over .800 career OPS vs RHP. Probably meant that Baltimore is not going to trade Mancini or wanted too much. Wonder if Bennedeti is the target? 

Once again, we are trading away young talent for a short term rental.

The 28-year-old outfielder entered early July with a .316/.367/.404 slash line, providing outstanding production near the top of the lineup. Unsurprisingly, with so many teams in need of an upgrade in the outfield, the Royals are receiving a ton of calls.

Appearing on the Baseball Tonight podcast, Jeff Passan of ESPN said Benintendi is generating massive interest on the trade market. Despite being a half-season rental, the number of suitors going after Benintendi is expected to drive up Kansas City’s price considerably.

“Everyone wants him. The low payroll teams want him. The high payroll teams want him. The big markets want him. The small market want him. When Andrew Benintendi goes, I think Kansas City better get an absolute haul for him, because the interest is, frankly, just off the charts from everyone there.”

Jeff Passan on trade interest in Andrew Benintendi

• Upvote 1

The suddenly catching-desperate Mets have added a backstop ahead of the trade deadline, but not the one from Chicago or the one from Triple-A Syracuse. 

On Saturday, the Mets traded for fifth-year catcher Michael Perez in a second trade with the Pirates in as many days, though this one less notable than acquiring Daniel Vogelbach. 

It’s Perez, not the Cubs’ Willson Contreras (at least not yet) or Francisco Alvarez (at least not yet), who comes to Queens for cash considerations after the Mets have lost their two primary catchers. 

Perez, a 29-year-old from Puerto Rico, was designated for assignment Friday after hitting .150 with six home runs in 39 games with Pittsburgh. He has bounced between the minors and majors since 2018, his first three seasons with the Rays.

Infielder Travis Blankenhorn, who had been called up Friday, was designated for assignment.

16 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

The suddenly catching-desperate Mets have added a backstop ahead of the trade deadline, but not the one from Chicago or the one from Triple-A Syracuse. 

On Saturday, the Mets traded for fifth-year catcher Michael Perez in a second trade with the Pirates in as many days, though this one less notable than acquiring Daniel Vogelbach. 

It’s Perez, not the Cubs’ Willson Contreras (at least not yet) or Francisco Alvarez (at least not yet), who comes to Queens for cash considerations after the Mets have lost their two primary catchers. 

Perez, a 29-year-old from Puerto Rico, was designated for assignment Friday after hitting .150 with six home runs in 39 games with Pittsburgh. He has bounced between the minors and majors since 2018, his first three seasons with the Rays.

Infielder Travis Blankenhorn, who had been called up Friday, was designated for assignment.

Nido clone. 

2 hours ago, faba said:

OK Braves continue to be red hot and beat down lower echelon teams while we continue to have issues for scoring any runs

Padres are a bad match up for the Mets, they honestly worry me more than maybe any other NL team just because they are so deep w/ arms and the Mets cant hit and only have power in 2 bats that can turn the tide in those games which is the only reason the Braves are winning.  They strike out a ton, they dont work counts, they really cant get on base but they mash and it's seems to always be timely...which is basically how they won the World Series last year, so that's great.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Padres are a bad match up for the Mets, they honestly worry me more than maybe any other NL team just because they are so deep w/ arms and the Mets cant hit and only have power in 2 bats that can turn the tide in those games which is the only reason the Braves are winning.  They strike out a ton, they dont work counts, they really cant get on base but they mash and it's seems to always be timely...which is basically how they won the World Series last year, so that's great.

Needed that win badly!

Yanks up for the NY bragging rights. Would have like Jake in the rotation but NL East games more important!

22 hours ago, JiFapono said:

To follow up this point, Alonso drives in 4 runs last night to end a streak of one run games to kick start the 2nd half, granted, vs. a great pitching team but still, it was the Alonso show (who now leads the league in RBI's over taking Judge to start the Yankees series) but he needs help.  I hate this but I do not see this series going well and more than likely, further illustrates this very serious issue. 

The Mets cannot sit on their hands and not add power before the deadline if they want to be serious contenders.  I get that hypothetically deGrom/Scherzer is going to be tough to beat in a series but time has also proven, you cant depend on that playing out either. 

Go get Soto.  He's worth every F'ing penny.

On 7/24/2022 at 6:13 AM, faba said:

OK Braves continue to be red hot and beat down lower echelon teams while we continue to have issues for scoring any runs

I saw yesterday, they have the best record in Baseball since June.

The Mets have been over 500 during that time, just the Braves are playing insane.   Better now then September.

On 7/25/2022 at 9:44 AM, chirorob said:

I saw yesterday, they have the best record in Baseball since June.

The Mets have been over 500 during that time, just the Braves are playing insane.   Better now then September.

Well thankfully the Phil’s put some ice on that red hot Braves team. Would love to win this Yanks seriesJust to get the Mets testosterone back up on offense 

REHAB ALERT: RHP Trevor May: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K

Edited by 32EBoozer

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Just to get the Mets testosterone back up on our fence.Well thankfully the Phil’s put some ice on that red hot Braves team. Would love to win this Yanks seriesJust to get the Mets testosterone back up on offense 

REHAB ALERT: RHP Trevor May: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K

2 game series, game 2 is Domingo German vs Scherzer, so you really should win that one.

Update on the lack of an agreement on International Draft & how it affects our FA players from ESPN:

What does the return to the qualifying offer mean for players?

It means continued concern for the upper-middle-class segment of free agents, whose markets have been noticeably suppressed by the qualifying-offer system in recent years. A quick refresher: Free agents who spend an entire season with one team and haven't previously received a qualifying offer can be tendered a one-year contract worth the mean salary of MLB's 125 highest earners at the start of the offseason, then get a 10-day window to either accept the offer and return to their prior team or venture into free agency.

The vast majority of players decline the offer -- only six of 45 players have accepted the qualifying offer over the last five years -- and many see their options impacted by teams that shy away from the penalties in the MLB draft. Teams that are given revenue-sharing dollars surrender their third-highest pick, but those who exceed the luxury tax surrender their second- and fifth-highest picks and also lose $1 million of pool space in the draft.

The best free agents (Freddie Freeman, Gerrit Cole, Bryce Harper, to name a few) are hardly impacted. But those who reside a tier below them often are. In recent years, that list has included Mike Moustakas, Kendrys Morales, Dallas Keuchel and Craig Kimbrel, among many others.

Who is the QO most likely to affect this winter?

The following players stand at least a decent chance of being tendered a qualifying offer this offseason (assuming they aren't traded within the next seven days): Aaron Judge, Xander Bogaerts, Joe Musgrove, Trea Turner, Dansby Swanson, J.D. Martinez, Clayton Kershaw, Jacob deGrom, Chris Bassitt, Taijuan Walker, Carlos Rodon, Edwin Diaz, Brandon Nimmo, Josh Bell, Jameson Taillon and Trey Mancini.

Judge, Bogaerts, Musgrove and Turner will get big money regardless. Perhaps Swanson, too, given the position he plays. And deGrom, if he proves healthy. Kershaw will probably sign another short-term, high-dollar deal with either the Los Angeles Dodgersor the Texas Rangers. All the others might feel the effects of the qualifying offer.

There's also a concern that the qualifying-offer system further disincentivizes spending, given that the draft-pick penalties are greater for those teams that exceed the luxury tax. The draft-pick return for those who lose players who rejected qualifying offers also varies based on revenues and payroll.

Nice game for you all so far.  Yanks playing poorly, IKF gets picked off for a huge out.  Donaldson with a bad error.   Mets playing well.

Side note..  Umps suck.  How do they not know a strike zone?  I am not remotely using that as an excuse, they've been bad lately for both sides of the games I watch, but have a consistent strike zone, it's your job.

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Yanks playing poorly,

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Yanks playing poorly, IKF gets picked off (Lindor runs us out of an inning) for a huge out.  Donaldson with a bad error (Lindor speed forced a quick throw)  Mets playing well.

Side note..  Umps suck.  How do they not know a strike zone?  I am not remotely using that as an excuse, (Yes you are) they've been bad lately for both sides of the games I watch, but have a consistent strike zone, it's your job.

Just give players credit and don’t minimize their accomplishments with excuses…. like Yanks playing poorly or Umps suck. How about nice job by Walker or Judge etc. 

43 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Just give players credit and don’t minimize their accomplishments with excuses…. like Yanks playing poorly or Umps suck. How about nice job by Walker or Judge etc. 

Umps suck is a separate issue i put in the same post, and I tried to say they've been bad for both teams in games I've watched.  It is not why anyone is winning or losing, but it's an issue.

Mets are playing well today, clutch hits, didn't miss pitches that Monty hung.   That'swhat winning teams do.   Yanks have played poorly, poor base running, unforced throwing errors, playing bad baseball.

35 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Umps suck is a separate issue i put in the same post, and I tried to say they've been bad for both teams in games I've watched.  It is not why anyone is winning or losing, but it's an issue.

Mets are playing well today, clutch hits, didn't miss pitches that Monty hung.   That'swhat winning teams do.   Yanks have played poorly, poor base running, unforced throwing errors, playing bad baseball.

You never hear the players talk like this. You lace up and play. Mets win.

If the Yanks win tomorrow, you won’t hear me making excuses for the Yanks win. 

Mets need to pass on Soto and make certain Diaz is resigned. They need to stick with a 5 year contract. I am afraid that with 14 year contracts being thrown around these days, there will be some crazy team offering an “Outlier” deal that continues to blow up the sport

• Upvote 1