Jump to content

2022 New York Mets thread


Scott Dierking
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

You never hear the players talk like this. You lace up and play. Mets win.

If the Yanks win tomorrow, you won’t hear me making excuses for the Yanks win. 

I'm not making excuses.

The Mets played a good game.   The Yankees played a poor game.   The Mets were the better team last night.  They hit better, they pitched better, they ran the bases better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Marte is en fuego  🔥. Nimmo coming alive. Basset grinds out 5 innings on a hot night. 
Diaz un-hittable right now. deGrom better make his start in the next 5 days; we need him. 
 

Hoping for a lefty BP arm with a proven track record. The dog days of summer are upon us with 62 wins & a 3 game lead with 63 games to go. On pace for  101 wins but I think it will take 104 to win the NL East. Mets will need to play .666 ball to reach that win total.  I don’t think we can overtake the Dodgers. They’re 5 games up with same # of games remaining. 
 

Not loving what we gave up for Naquin. Players given up are young arms. I hate giving up young arms

https://nypost.com/2022/07/28/mets-acquiring-tyler-naquin-phillip-diehl-from-reds/

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Marte is en fuego  🔥. Nimmo coming alive. Basset grinds out 5 innings on a hot night. 
Diaz un-hittable right now. deGrom better make his start in the next 5 days; we need him. 
 

Hoping for a lefty BP arm with a proven track record. The dog days of summer are upon us with 62 wins & a 3 game lead with 63 games to go. On pace for  101 wins but I think it will take 104 to win the NL East. Mets will need to play .666 ball to reach that win total.  I don’t think we can overtake the Dodgers. They’re 5 games up with same # of games remaining. 
 

Not loving what we gave up for Naquin. Players given up are young arms. I hate giving up young arms

https://nypost.com/2022/07/28/mets-acquiring-tyler-naquin-phillip-diehl-from-reds/

I agree with you here......you just never know about 18-22 year old kids. These two moves remind me of the 2015 moves bringing in Uribe and Kelly Johnson....two professional hitters and good teammate type of guys. Also shows the trust Cohen and Eppler have in their analytics team....both guys have over career .800 OPS vs righties. FWIW...Vogelback was on base 3 times in both of the last two games.  As Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) said in Moneyball...." why do we like Hatty? Because he gets on base." All that being said, feels like they are still working on the "big one." The Cub deal for Contreas and Robertson makes sense, buy think it will be something else. Also, how far has Kelenic fallen? it would have been inconceivable a year ago for Seattle to get Castillo without him being in the deal. Unless he is still untouchable ( highly doubt it) it just shows that as highly touted as these guys are, you just never know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

FWIW...Vogelback was on base 3 times in both of the last two games.  As Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) said in Moneyball...." why do we like Hatty? Because he gets on base." All that being said, feels like they are still working on the "big one." The Cub deal for Contreas and Robertson makes sense….

I am so sick of our catching situation! Contreras would be a big upgrade and Robertson a huge get out of the BP. It all comes down to how much talent will we lose. 
 

We have a LOT of FA heading into the off-season with Diaz & deGrom the two biggest. We already have blown way past luxury tax, which despite Cohen’s wealth gets passed onto fans

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I am so sick of our catching situation! Contreras would be a big upgrade and Robertson a huge get out of the BP. It all comes down to how much talent will we lose. 
 

We have a LOT of FA heading into the off-season with Diaz & deGrom the two biggest. We already have blown way past luxury tax, which despite Cohen’s wealth gets passed onto fans

Interesting quote from the Reds GM last night, something to the effect that " this was the best return we could get for Castillo." Looking at the two big deals so far, teams that are buyers don't seem to be willing to part with the "gems" of their systems. You know the Yankees had to be in on Castillo but wouldn't budge on either top SS prospect. Mets did trade with Cubs last year, and gave up Pete Crow Armstrong for that Bum Biaz, but that wasn't Eppler, I believe. Wonder if the Mets would include McNeil in a deal in lieu of a prospect? I have a sneaky feeling the Yanks may try to get Ohtani. In that case, doubt any prospect would be off limits.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Interesting quote from the Reds GM last night, something to the effect that " this was the best return we could get for Castillo." Looking at the two big deals so far, teams that are buyers don't seem to be willing to part with the "gems" of their systems. You know the Yankees had to be in on Castillo but wouldn't budge on either top SS prospect. Mets did trade with Cubs last year, and gave up Pete Crow Armstrong for that Bum Biaz, but that wasn't Eppler, I believe. Wonder if the Mets would include McNeil in a deal in lieu of a prospect? I have a sneaky feeling the Yanks may try to get Ohtani. In that case, doubt any prospect would be off limits.

 

 Alvarez is off limits unless it’s for Soto or Ohtani. Can’t imagine they’ll budge on him otherwise. 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

A closer pitching at this level is one of those things where you don’t realize how key it can be until it’s there. Really special zone he’s in. 

Approaching Rivera level dominance but with a much smaller sample size & mostly without the Big Game pressure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

 Alvarez is off limits unless it’s for Soto or Ohtani. Can’t imagine they’ll budge on him otherwise. 

You’d still have to pay Soto $500 mil.Keep the top prospect moving up the system. Once your system is built up (Dodgers, Padres) you can make these moves. Unless Cohen doesn’t intend on bringing Pete back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

You’d still have to pay Soto $500 mil.Keep the top prospect moving up the system. Once your system is built up (Dodgers, Padres) you can make these moves. Unless Cohen doesn’t intend on bringing Pete back.

Mets are still paying for years of neglect to the system. Hopefully, this year's draft largely pans out and the near top 10 ranking they have solidifies. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

You’d still have to pay Soto $500 mil.Keep the top prospect moving up the system. Once your system is built up (Dodgers, Padres) you can make these moves. Unless Cohen doesn’t intend on bringing Pete back.

I don’t think money is a factor at all now with Cohen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure he’s overpaid but Lindor is a really good player even though he’s just above .250. But the more you watch him play the more you like him. He’s a guy who can lead a team to post season. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

He is toying with batters at this point.

That smirk he made Fri when homeboy got a piece of the ball for a foul when he almost when 9 straight pitches to finish them out, was like, yeah, I'm in another world right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Sure he’s overpaid but Lindor is a really good player even though he’s just above .250. But the more you watch him play the more you like him. He’s a guy who can lead a team to post season. 

He's really hard not to love and he's having a historic season.  Has the Grandy happiness, I love ball vibe to him, that has to be infectious in the dugout. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Sure he’s overpaid but Lindor is a really good player even though he’s just above .250. But the more you watch him play the more you like him. He’s a guy who can lead a team to post season. 

And he’s also gonna be a loooot more valuable when they do away with the shift next year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Mets keep this train rolling. The pitching staff is finding it’s groove behind Sherzer’s lead. Pound the strike zone early then expand. If Mets can keep avg. 4 runs/game we’ll be in good shape

There was a story a few months ago where Scherzer started a betting pool with Peterson for who could throw the most first pitch strikes. Winner take all. Except Scherzer funded the entire thing and it was all a ruse to just get Peterson attacking more. You’ve gotta love that sh*t.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And he’s also gonna be a loooot more valuable when they do away with the shift next year. 

Can't come soon enough, and when they put in and enforce the pitch clock, we'll actually be getting back closer to real baseball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, section314 said:

Can't come soon enough, and when they put in and enforce the pitch clock, we'll actually be getting back closer to real baseball.

I go back and forth on this with friends all the time. People love it or hate it but Howie was ecstatic about it on 880 during the Alcantara game so that validated my feelings. 

It really wasn’t that long ago that the elite defensive shortstop was way more valued than it currently is. Mets fans are going to be very thankful they have Lindor now that we’re going back to it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I go back and forth on this with friends all the time. People love it or hate it but Howie was ecstatic about it on 880 during the Alcantara game so that validated my feelings. 

It really wthat the elite defensive shortstop was way more valued than it currently isasn’t that long ago . Mets fans are going to be very thankful they have Lindor now that we’re going back to it. 

Absolutely...the Orioles dominated the AL for year with Mark Belanger barely hitting.200. That was always a position  where your hitting was overlooked because of your defense. Today, absent a few outliers, it's C.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

There was a story a few months ago where Scherzer started a betting pool with Peterson for who could throw the most first pitch strikes. Winner take all. Except Scherzer funded the entire thing and it was all a ruse to just get Peterson attacking more. You’ve gotta love that sh*t.

When coming back from injury, doing rehab in AA Rumble Ponies, he dropped $7,000 taking EVERYONE out to dinner. 
 

According to those familiar, Scherzer, who has earned more than $250 million in his career, shelled out big cash for a locker room feast that included bone-in ribeye, filet mignon and lobster. Whereas a normal postgame dinner would be limited to one folding table, Chateau Scherzer was a three-to-four-folding-table situation. The approximate dollar figure tossed around the clubhouse was upward of $7,000. 

"They’re eating well tonight," Scherzer said to the media after his start. 

 

Two days after his first start with Binghamton, players came into the locker room and found an unexpected present from the heterochromatic hurler. 

"He bought everyone AirPods," a source around the team told FOX Sports. "We walk in, and there’s a clubbie just handing out AirPods saying they’re from Max."

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Mets Free Agents next year
image.thumb.png.3a5553bfe0c741e427e82c82bfcc14a0.png

Lots of work to do. On the trade front, seems like most guys think the Padres will be the most aggressive on Soto. Also, more important to us, what are the Braves up to.?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, section314 said:

Lots of work to do. On the trade front, seems like most guys think the Padres will be the most aggressive on Soto. Also, more important to us, what are the Braves up to.?

Speaking of the Braves…. We host them for 5 games in 4 days after the Nats series. Need to take at least 3 after handling business with the Nats!

Will Soto be switching  dugouts during the series?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another solid win even with Sherzer not having his best stuff last night. 


Lindor is finally becoming “that guy” that we hoped he would be when signed. 
 

Soto showing on both sides of the ball of why he is such a desire for many GM’s If he were signed by Mets, who gets replaced in OF? Not Marte…. Cahna? Nimmo? Good problem to have. 
 

Mets have been very quiet…. Makes me think something is up. I’d pass on any deal that involved Baty, Alvarez, Vientos or Mauricio unless for Soto and only 1 of the 4 plus Peterson and Ramirez a couple throw-in players. All are playing well. 
 

Rehab Alert

McCann homered in rehab start and Trevor May pitched a scoreless inning. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...