2022 New York Mets thread

Scott Dierking

49 minutes ago, Lith said:

Nice having Diaz out there to bail out the bullpen in a game like this one.  But it would have been really nice not to have had to use him in that first game.

Agreed….. He didn’t throw a lot of pitches in the 9th, so Buck may use him in game to if he needs him to lock down the win.

Those trade deadline pickups have played well so far.

Lopez reminds me of Diaz 2 years ago. Very good stuff…. but needs to find his control.

Ottavino needs to be resigned along with Lugo and obviously Diaz.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Nice having Diaz out there to bail out the bullpen in a game like this one.  But it would have been really nice not to have had to use him in that first game.

IMO Mets look at this as temporary, otherwise they would have done more at the deadline. I think they have a lot of confidence in using both Peterson and Megill out of the bullpen once things finally shake out and get back to normal with Jake. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

IMO Mets look at this as temporary, otherwise they would have done more at the deadline. I think they have a lot of confidence in using both Peterson and Megill out of the bullpen once things finally shake out and get back to normal with Jake. 

I think this may have more to do with Trevor May vs Robertson. May was throwing great last night, and if the reports they were getting from Syracuse while he was rehabbing were good, it probably made them pass on Robertson especially if the price that the Cubs were asking for was a top 4/5 prospect. Robertson would have been the bridge to Diaz, and also the guy who can close when needed .May is that guy and has also closed for the Twins. At best I think they looked at that situation as a push, not worth giving up a good prospect. If they use Peterson in the pen, think it has to be as a long man, not a guy who you bring in late in a game to specifically get one or two lefties out. Ronnie explained that perfectly last night in game #2. That said, not getting a lefty arm for the pen still baffles me.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

What a weekend, they have quite the month ahead of them but that's how you create momentum! 

But it shoud be a fun month.  Especially if we get to watch deGrom and Scherzer twice out of every 5 games.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

What a weekend, they have quite the month ahead of them but that's how you create momentum! 

At least Reds traded away their best pitcher last week.

Hot Phils, with ex-Mets Thor & Wheeler, looking to get back in the race and then in Atlanta against a Braves team seeking revenge.

11 games in 10 days with Phil’s and 4 against Braves sandwiched between Phil’s series.

We can send the NL East a strong message if we go 3 of 4 against Braves and 5-2 against Phillies.

Some teams in a pennant race are basically deciding to trade their top prospects for proven MLB players. We just saw a lot of that esp teams like the Padres. Maybe they have a point. Their philosophy is to go for it and not develop top prospects or worry they will look bad if they end up being stars with other teams. The Mets did it with Cespedes the guy they traded Fullmer turned out to be good but because of Ces that year the Mets made the WS. I think another reason is teams replenish their orgs with a lot of prospects every year the draft is plentiful. And some of these players like the college catcher the Mets just drafted are not too far off from being ready to play in the majors. 

If Scherzer and DeGrom stay healthy, they could be a redux of Johnson and Schilling.  Only this team has more hitting than those Diamondbacks, who mostly had to ride Luis Gonzalez's bat.  I have never seen two pitchers dominate a postseason, and particularly a World Series, like those two did back in 2001.  But damn would I love to see it happen again this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Making just his second start of the season, deGrom retired the first 17 batters he faced, striking out 12 of them. The Braves whiffed on the first 18 sliders they swung at from deGrom, not even making contact on one until Michael Harris II fouled off two sliders in the sixth inning. In the pitch-tracking era since 2008, that was the most consecutive swings and misses against a single pitch in one game. The Braves had no chance.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's insane. They legitimately have the two best pitchers in baseball and the best closer. It's the best team since 1988 and not even remotely close. 

It really was the Wilpons the whole time.

Spending money certainly makes a difference.  I don't know about that "best team since 1998" stuff yet.  Let's see what happens in the postseason.  The current MLB postseason is a different animal now.  Last year the Dodgers and Giants won something like 107 and 106 games respectively, but neither even made the World Series.  

16 hours ago, nycdan said:

If Scherzer and DeGrom stay healthy, they could be a redux of Johnson and Schilling.  Only this team has more hitting than those Diamondbacks, who mostly had to ride Luis Gonzalez's bat.  I have never seen two pitchers dominate a postseason, and particularly a World Series, like those two did back in 2001.  But damn would I love to see it happen again this year.

This is like if Johnson and Schilling also had Mariano Rivera.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Bassitt taking a little of that Max and Jake residue 

He is definitely old school in his mentality. Said it after game   “I’m an innings eater.” How smart is Buck having Bassit pitch the first game after the Braves knowing he goes deep and will more than likely give the bullpen an extra day?

I am so bemused by the performance of the trade deadline pickups.  Most of the so-called experts bashed the team for not doing more.  Instead, they hold onto their promising minor league stars, and every guy they picked up who looked like depth at best is knocking the skin off the ball.

Vogelbach - .341 2 HR, 8 RBI, 1.042 OPS in 15 games

Naquin - .357 3 HR 7 RBI, 1.236 OPS in 10 games

Ruf - .333 0 HR 5 RBI, .800 OPS in 5 games

We got lucky.  You can't predict that kind of turnaround (all 3 guys are WAY above their season averages).  But damn if that hasn't shut down the critics like an anvil.  Throw in a rejuvenated DeGrom and getting Megill back soon (probably into the bullpen where he can really help) and this team has everything they need to roll into the playoffs.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 8/9/2022 at 9:41 AM, section314 said:

He is definitely old school in his mentality. Said it after game   “I’m an innings eater.” How smart is Buck having Bassit pitch the first game after the Braves knowing he goes deep and will more than likely give the bullpen an extra day?

It's still early but Buck has to be a lock for MOTY. Everything is so intentional with him and I love it. 9 games against the Braves in 3 weeks and Buck makes sure Jake and Max pitch 4 of them. So strange to see the Mets stomping on throats. They're always either a miracle team or everyone's punching bag and you have to give credit for the change to Buck and Max. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, nycdan said:

I am so bemused by the performance of the trade deadline pickups.  Most of the so-called experts bashed the team for not doing more.  Instead, they hold onto their promising minor league stars, and every guy they picked up who looked like depth at best is knocking the skin off the ball.

Vogelbach - .341 2 HR, 8 RBI, 1.042 OPS in 15 games

Naquin - .357 3 HR 7 RBI, 1.236 OPS in 10 games

Ruf - .333 0 HR 5 RBI, .800 OPS in 5 games

We got lucky.  You can't predict that kind of turnaround (all 3 guys are WAY above their season averages).  But damn if that hasn't shut down the critics like an anvil.  Throw in a rejuvenated DeGrom and getting Megill back soon (probably into the bullpen where he can really help) and this team has everything they need to roll into the playoffs.

Luck is the residue of design. What they did is modeled the approach that won the Giants 107 games last year. They chose players with certain splits, and rather than attempting to make them every day players, decided to use them in match-ups that take advantage of their splits. And that is what you are seeing. Only Lindor, Nimmo, Alonso and Marte are every day players now. Every one is is an interchangeable match up mash. 

What really works for this club that they are a TEAM. After most at bats, you see players coming back and talking to the on deck batter and then other players about what they saw at the plate in terms of pitch movement. The batters are really grinding every at bat and wearing down pitchers. Strider was correct, the Mets have a lot of soft contact. That is because they are emphasizing contact rather than trying to mash every pitch. If you hit the ball, good things can happen.

Same with the pitchers. They hang out in the dugout together and talk. 

Credit Buck and Max for this approach.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Luck is the residue of design. What they did is modeled the approach that won the Giants 107 games last year. They chose players with certain splits, and rather than attempting to make them every day players, decided to use them in match-ups that take advantage of their splits. And that is what you are seeing. Only Lindor, Nimmo, Alonso and Marte are every day players now. Every one is is an interchangeable match up mash. 

What really works for this club that they are a TEAM. After most at bats, you see players coming back and talking to the on deck batter and then other players about what they saw at the plate in terms of pitch movement. The batters are really grinding every at bat and wearing down pitchers. Strider was correct, the Mets have a lot of soft contact. That is because they are emphasizing contact rather than trying to mash every pitch. If you hit the ball, good things can happen.

Same with the pitchers. They hang out in the dugout together and talk. 

Credit Buck and Max for this approach.

Very similar to Gil’s 1969 club…..,Only Agee, Cleon, Buddy and Grote were everyday players. Hope we get same results.?

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That was the most packed regular season game I have ever been to. Felt like a playoff attendance. Whoever runs the lights and music for the trumpets deserves an award, that sh*t is fun as hell. 

That sounds like an awesome experience man. Was watching with pops at home and you could feel the energy from there.