2022 New York Mets thread

Scott Dierking

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Was this prediction before or after we lose to a sub .500 team?

If you watched the game you would have heard the Mets haven't swept a 4 game series since 2019. They took 3 out of 4 vs a bad team, and the Braves just lost 2 in a row. I'll take that. It was a good weekend.

Hopefully the Mets can win 2 vs the Dodgers, who are clearly the best team in baseball right now. 

5 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

If you watched the game you would have heard the Mets haven't swept a 4 game series since 2019. They took 3 out of 4 vs a bad team, and the Braves just lost 2 in a row. I'll take that. It was a good weekend.

Hopefully the Mets can win 2 vs the Dodgers, who are clearly the best team in baseball right now. 

I did watch the game and DVR all if I miss one. 

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Then you'd know the Mets sweeping 4 straight vs an opponent isn't likely no matter the opponent.

Yeah, but it is a lot more likely once you have won the first 3.  And you have Scherzer on the hill,.  Taking 3 of 4 is fine.  Gaining ground on the Braves during the series is good.

But it was still a disappointing end to the series.

Well if we want something to shoot for, somehow walk into the last Braves series 4 games up. That way all they have to do is win one game against the Braves, and the NL East is clinched.

No tiebreaking games this year. Winner of the regular season series takes the tiebreaker, and one win  against the Braves would give the Mets that claim.

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Well if we want something to shoot for, somehow walk into the last Braves series 4 games up. That way all they have to do is win one game against the Braves, and the NL East is clinched.

No tiebreaking games this year. Winner of the regular season series takes the tiebreaker, and one win  against the Braves would give the Mets that claim.

They have a total of 15 games over 3 weeks against the A's, Pirates, and Marlins in Sept. If they can't head into the Atlanta series 4-up I'm not sure they deserve the division. 

12 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I admit the Braves are in my head. Hope the Phillies do some damage against them.

I get it but the panic half the fanbase seems to have neglects the fact that there's no pennant race anymore and no more play-in game. On top of that, I have no idea if having the bye is even a good thing rolling into the postseason, none of us do. Even if the Braves take the East, the Mets are a lock at this point for the playoffs and the will be at home for the Wild Card series if it comes to that. I'm cool with whatever.

End of the day the only thing that matters is that Jake and Max are 100% the beginning of October. Division or Wild Card is distant second to that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I get it but the panic half the fanbase seems to have neglects the fact that there's no pennant race anymore and no more play-in game. On top of that, I have no idea if having the bye is even a good thing rolling into the postseason, none of us do. Even if the Braves take the East, the Mets are a lock at this point for the playoffs and the will be at home for the Wild Card series if it comes to that. I'm cool with whatever.

End of the day the only thing that matters is that Jake and Max are 100% the beginning of October. Division or Wild Card is distant second to that.

Division winner still is a slight advantage:

-You can set up your pitching for round 2, while presumably the wild card round winner will not have as favorable opportunity.

-Home field advantage in the divisional.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

-You can set up your pitching for round 2, while presumably the wild card round winner will not have as favorable opportunity.

Huge advantage.   Looks like Baty is here for the long haul. He seems to be adjusting to big league pitching pretty quickly. His AB's are getting better, and he is hitting the ball with more authority. Has a beautiful swing. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Who knows? Maybe it's too much time off for the bullpen and hitters too. Reality is we're in unprecedented territory here and none of us have any answers. 

Main point is, this isn't a potential crisis. Do you want Max and Jake in games 1 and 2 of the divisional series? Sure. But that's not enough of a reason for anyone to bitch and moan just because they don't consistently win four in a row once per week. 

On 8/27/2022 at 5:15 PM, Mogglez said:

The Mets just surprise retired #24 for Willie Mays and there isn’t a dry eye in the stands from older Mets fans at the Mets Old-Timers Day game.

My father made me watch highlights of the Say-Hey Kid when I was little.  This is an incredible moment for me as a Mets fan, as those are some of my favorite memories growing up.  I can’t say enough great things about what Steve Cohen has done to bring respect back to this franchise.

I know Mays was only a Met at the tail end of his career but I still think it was a wonderful idea to retire his number.   And I love that it was a surprise announcement at the Old-Timers' Day game.  Tradition and history are part of the fabric of the baseball far more so than other sports.  How can you not love stuff like this!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Maybe we should have him call out any Mets player in a slump… Maybe McCann or Escobar?

In all honesty, don’t know how much longer he can keep rotating catchers. Nido  actually looks like a professional hitter and is good defensively and throws well. I guess it would come down to how the starters feel about who they prefer.

So because I have no life and refuse to do work this morning I decided to watch the replays of Nimmo and Endy's catch a bunch of times to figure out which was better:

- When? First off, the stakes. Chavez was in the playoffs so that one goes to Endy. 

- Who? You gotta give that to Nimmo. Rolen was a great player but Turner has been a bane for the Mets for so long. He's not hatable as a person but if you're a Mets fan you have definitely said "****" to yourself every time Turner was up in a close game. The fact that Nimmo also did it with Jake on the mound also counts. Edge Nimmo.

- Where? I think you gotta give this to Endy. Shea vs Citi. The metal rattle that the wall made when he hit the wall sounded like a car crash compared to Nimmo. Had to hurt more. 

- How? Center field is almost always the more impressive catch, so this comes down to what you think is more important, the break or the jump. Nimmo got a better break but Chavez's jump looked cooler and he elevated like Jordan. But I think you gotta give it to the guy in center.

- What and why? End of the day these are the deal breakers. The one thing that fans always forget is that Chavez made that catch and then had the presence of mind to launch a perfect throw to the cutoff man and turn it into a double play at first. It's not just an all-time great catch, it's an all-time great defensive play. In hindsight last night was a huge win because the Mets have such a history of letting Jake down, and it was a huge statement play for what type of team and season this is. Dodgers are the best team in the NL and the Mets have hung with them every time they have played each other this year. I'm big on culture and statement stuff, but Chavez's play was just so surreal and something you rarely see happen. Kind of insane we still talk about it so many years later. Let's see if we're still doing it for Nimmo, but for now the edge has to go to Endy.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So because I have no life and refuse to do work this morning I decided to watch the replays of Nimmo and Endy's catch a bunch of times to figure out which was better:

- When? First off, the stakes. Chavez was in the playoffs so that one goes to Endy. 

- Who? You gotta give that to Nimmo. Rolen was a great player but Turner has been a bane for the Mets for so long. He's not hatable as a person but if you're a Mets fan you have definitely said "****" to yourself every time Turner was up in a close game. The fact that Nimmo also did it with Jake on the mound also counts. Edge Nimmo.

- Where? I think you gotta give this to Endy. The metal rattle that the wall made when he hit the wall sounded like a car crash compared to Nimmo. Had to hurt more.

- How? Center field is almost always the more impressive catch, so this comes down to what you think is more important, the break or the jump. Nimmo got a better break but Chavez's jump looked cooler and he elevated like Jordan. But I think you gotta give it to the guy in center.

- What and why? End of the day these are the deal breakers. The one thing that fans always forget is that Chavez made that catch and then had the presence of mind to launch a perfect throw to the cutoff man and turn it into a double play at first. It's not just an all-time great catch, it's an all-time great defensive play. In hindsight last night was a huge win because the Mets have such a history of letting Jake down, and it was a huge statement play for what type of team and season this is. Dodgers are the best team in the NL and the Mets have hung with them every time they have played each other this year. I'm big on culture and statement stuff, but Chavez's play was just so surreal and something you rarely see happen. Kind of insane we still talk about it so many years later. Let's see if we're still doing it for Nimmo, but for now the edge has to go to Endy.

I rewatched both just now and, just like I remembered, Endy's catch was MUCH more difficult.   Unlike Nimmo, Endy was on the full run and had to fully extend to catch the ball.  Plus Nimmo's body was basically upright, while Endy's legs were at an angle, relative to his torso.    

Nimmo:

image.png.48c6fa635caaa0c9827b8d43ba828d28.png

Endy:

image.png.b859699c00dc4d04d011f547f24722ed.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ruby2 said:

If the Mets won the game (still dont know how they possibly didn't) the Endy catch is a top 10 play in sports history. Nimo was great, but come on.

To be fair though, it's a valid question to ask which catch was more difficult, even if you remove the situation (e.g. regular season game vs NLCS Game 7).   I still think Endy's catch was a lot more difficult.

• Upvote 2