2022 New York Mets thread

Scott Dierking

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I rewatched both just now and, just like I remembered, Endy's catch was MUCH more difficult.   Unlike Nimmo, Endy was on the full run and had to fully extend to catch the ball.  Plus Nimmo's body was basically upright, while Endy's legs were at an angle, relative to his torso.    

Nimmo:

image.png.48c6fa635caaa0c9827b8d43ba828d28.png

Endy:

image.png.b859699c00dc4d04d011f547f24722ed.png

In a vacuum, Endy's catch was better, and it would have been one of the greatest moments in Mets history had we actually won the damn game.  But we lost, so it is nothing more than a footnote in our history.

Nimmo's catch was regular season, probably won't be remembered as long as Endy's with less at stake, but we won the game. 

I will take the catch that preseves a win.

And any discussion of great catches in Mets history has to include the two by Agee and one by Swoboda in the 69 Series.  Without those plays, we may have lost games 3 & 4 of that Series.

• Post of the Week 1

On 8/29/2022 at 5:46 AM, 32EBoozer said:

Magic # 32 among my top 5 Met players

8C8C3460-7583-4ECE-85F7-19E46741C7E7.thumb.webp.bdb9e42a5d57e37963a21739cd5e33dd.webp

I have actually met Jon Matlack. He is from the town I currently reside. On a whim, for my son's high school baseball team, I reached to him and asked if he would want to come back to town and talk with the boys. etc. Immediate answer "yes". Great man and accommodating with his time.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 hours ago, Lith said:

In a vacuum, Endy's catch was better, and it would have been one of the greatest moments in Mets history had we actually won the damn game.  But we lost, so it is nothing more than a footnote in our history.

Nimmo's catch was regular season, probably won't be remembered as long as Endy's with less at stake, but we won the game. 

I will take the catch that preseves a win.

And any discussion of great catches in Mets history has to include the two by Agee and one by Swoboda in the 69 Series.  Without those plays, we may have lost games 3 & 4 of that Series.

Did I ever tell you about the time I was a bat boy for the 69 miracle Mets?  Met all those dudes and then some.

batboy.jpg.9f54285dcefd7eaaf03f0c916b703c3a.jpgseaver.jpg.c6c1af13b90d7b8ef68ff3c2d0dfa399.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Do you set the how to be a giant lame-o rules 

I don't set baseball's rules.  I just watch the games.  You can pretend that what BlasterJaxx said prevents the guy from the Braves from using Narcos as his walk-up song if you'd like though.  Maybe press the mute button. 

On 9/2/2022 at 5:06 PM, faba said:

Won series against Dodgers but Braves still not going away last weekend of the season could be nail biter

mets aint a championship team. you dont get smoked by a pitcher with a 7 era if you are a championship team, you tee off on him. the whole league is hitting batting practice off this guy and you can only get 1 run? that and they have a annoying habit of giving their 2 best pitchers almost no run support. they are good....but not championship caliber

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

mets aint a championship team. you dont get smoked by a pitcher with a 7 era if you are a championship team, you tee off on him. the whole league is hitting batting practice off this guy and you can only get 1 run? that and they have a annoying habit of giving their 2 best pitchers almost no run support. they are good....but not championship caliber

Yes no teams that won championships have sh*tty days over 162 games. Doesn’t happen in baseball ever. 

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

Corbin at one point was a very good pitcher ergo the big $140m contract.

His last 3 starts he’s once again found his control & mojo. 

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Corbin at one point was a very good pitcher ergo the big $140m contract.

His last 3 starts he’s once again found his control & mojo. 

out of all the division leading teams the mets have one of the worst offensive outputs. they aren't a championship team. pretty good, yes. but championship? no.....they have virtually no chance at winning a best of 7 vs the dodgers

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

out of all the division leading teams the mets have one of the worst offensive outputs. they aren't a championship team. pretty good, yes. but championship? no.....they have virtually no chance at winning a best of 7 vs the dodgers

Yet…. They won 4 of 7 from the Dodgers in RS.  I don’t argue that Alonso, McCann, Nido(getting better), and our DH players (other than Vogel bacon) have been struggling.
But we have a top 2 at the top of our pitching staff which makes us contenders!
7th in BA, 7th in Staff Pitching(missing deGrom & Sherzer for big part of season)    6th in fielding %. 
We are what we are after years of mis-management. Stop whining and appreciate everything they’re accomplishing DESPITE all your criticism.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Yet…. They won 4 of 7 from the Dodgers in RS.  I don’t argue that Alonso, McCann, Nido(getting better), and our DH players (other than Vogel bacon) have been struggling.
But we have a top 2 at the top of our pitching staff which makes us contenders!
7th in BA, 7th in Staff Pitching(missing deGrom & Sherzer for big part of season)    6th in fielding %. 
We are what we are after years of mis-management. Stop whining and appreciate everything they’re accomplishing DESPITE all your criticism.

lol i'll whine if i want. been a mets fan for almost 40 years. i appreciate that they are good now but they aren't a championship team and you'll see that for yourself soon enough. next year will be worse since scherzer will just be older and degrom is leaving.

9 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

lol i'll whine if i want. been a mets fan for almost 40 years. i appreciate that they are good now but they aren't a championship team and you'll see that for yourself soon enough. next year will be worse since scherzer will just be older and degrom is leaving.

No one has said they are a guarantee championship team. We were banking on playoffs and that should be the case. Why is deGrom leaving the only team he’s known?

Leaving the richest owner in baseball? Can’t wait to see how disappointed you’ll be if the make the WS. I’ve been a Met fan for 55 years and I’ve never had the same vitriol towards the team I’ve rooted for in any sport. 

21 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

No one has said they are a guarantee championship team. We were banking on playoffs and that should be the case. Why is deGrom leaving the only team he’s known?

Leaving the richest owner in baseball? Can’t wait to see how disappointed you’ll be if the make the WS. I’ve been a Met fan for 55 years and I’ve never had the same vitriol towards the team I’ve rooted for in any sport. 

He's already said he's opting out of his contract. Anyway...mets lost again to the worst team in baseball....wild card incoming

9 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Braves will win the division, just gotta hope pitching can do it when the playoffs start but the bats going quiet right now, is bad because the Braves are ridiculously good, they mash and the Mets just don’t and that has to change next year.  

it's just like the mets to be in first most of the year and then melt down at the end

On 9/5/2022 at 5:52 AM, neckdemon said:

it's just like the mets to be in first most of the year and then melt down at the end

The circle is complete.  It's official.  Another Sept. collapse.  It's like clockwork at this point.  Worst part is, we have to go get embarrassed in the post season now.  I think I prefer the collapse out of the playoffs better than this sh*t.

7 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

The circle is complete.  It's official.  Another Sept. collapse.  It's like clockwork at this point.  Worst part is, we have to go get embarrassed in the post season now.  I think I prefer the collapse out of the playoffs better than this sh*t.

I think it's too soon to declare that.  Obviously Scherzer going on the 15 day IL is going to hurt and Braves are playing lights-out baseball (and are the defending champs).  OTOH, we're still 34 games over .500 (only the Astros and Dodgers have a better record) and we have an easy schedule.  It doesn't look great right now but you never know the ups-and-downs in a baseball season.  The Braves are probably due to cool off at some point.  And the Mets might play better now that their backs are against the wall.  Even if it comes down to the final 3 in Atlanta (which would be a lot of fun), Scherzer could be back by then and potentially Jake might pitch in that series too.