2022 New York Mets thread

Scott Dierking

Congrats to the Mets, really. They are doing everything the Yankees used to. Ya know, like trying to field the best possible team and hire an an actual baseball man (Buck).

Meanwhile, Yankees bring back the lamest manager I have ever seen. A guy with zero leadership skills. 

Go Mets!

On 11/30/2021 at 12:06 AM, Gastineau Lives said:

So this is what it feels like to be a Yankee fan? I could get used to this.

Haha!  It is an unusual feeling.  Glad to see the Mets finally spend a little bit though I don't really want us to turn into what the Yankees were (spending-wise).  I'm fine with it for a couple of seasons just to build up the reputation that the Mets mean business when it comes to winning games.  But ultimately, I'd like to see the organization play things intelligently and build through youth.  I get the feeling that's their plan because (I think) we're accumulating #1 picks for the guys we're losing as FA's and we haven't had to give any up for the FA's we've signed.

• Upvote 3

For the first time since Bobby V was wearing disguises in the dugout, the Mets will have the managerial advantage in pretty much every series they play. Compare that to the last 3-4 years with dopes like Callaway and Rojas in the dugout. This is great news. Buck will be the difference in 5-6 more wins.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Barton said:

Mets are doing everything right. Wish the Yankees had Cohen as their owner. 0

I can understand Yankee fans being a bit confused about what their plan is, but I would wait to see how this whole labor mess turns out. The Yankees are usually way ahead of the curve on most things, and I seriously doubt that they don't have a pretty well thought out strategy. There are like 300 guys who don't have jobs, and the Yankees may end up getting a few remaining FA's at some  pretty favorable prices. Plus, they have a much more developed farm system than most teams, with quite a few guys who are close to MLB ready.As a lifelong Mets fan, I 've learned to never count the Yankees out.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

I can understand Yankee fans being a bit confused about what their plan is, but I would wait to see how this whole labor mess turns out. The Yankees are usually way ahead of the curve on most things, and I seriously doubt that they don't have a pretty well thought out strategy. There are like 300 guys who don't have jobs, and the Yankees may end up getting a few remaining FA's at some  pretty favorable prices. Plus, they have a much more developed farm system than most teams, with quite a few guys who are close to MLB ready.As a lifelong Mets fan, I 've learned to never count the Yankees out.

I hope you are right but I dont see it. Also, the Yankees are TERRIBLE at developing young players. They ruin their confidence/morale. There's zero plan for them once they reach the big leagues. 

Cashman also has zero foresight and creativity. Opening Hal's checkbook to sign CC, Tex or a Gerrit Cole doesnt make you a good GM. He has no idea how to build a balanced lineup (because he doesnt believe in that idea) or a competent starting pitching staff. 

I respect the hell out of Cohen right now. He's everything George used to be. He wants to win at all financial costs. 

I'll be tuning in to the Mets this year. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/18/2021 at 8:51 PM, Barton said:

Mets are doing everything right. Wish the Yankees had Cohen as their owner. 0

You have to be kidding?  All Cohen is doing is spending money (good for Met fans...about time) and Yankees are proof that spending money alone doesn't win you jack sh*t.  The Mets may be contenders annually like the Yankees are, but until they raise that trophy, all it does right now is give the Mets hope and there's nothing wrong with that.  Let's not book any parades for the Mets down the Canyon of Heroes just yet.

1 hour ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

You have to be kidding?  All Cohen is doing is spending money (good for Met fans...about time) and Yankees are proof that spending money alone doesn't win you jack sh*t.  The Mets may be contenders annually like the Yankees are, but until they raise that trophy, all it does right now is give the Mets hope and there's nothing wrong with that.  Let's not book any parades for the Mets down the Canyon of Heroes just yet.

Hal busy pinching his daddies pennies. Brings back noodle Boone and clueless Brian again to boot. 

16 hours ago, Barton said:

Hal busy pinching his daddies pennies. Brings back noodle Boone and clueless Brian again to boot. 

As long as the "talent evaluators" remain with the team, you will continue to compete for a title. Yankees' farm system always one of the best in baseball.

That's what Cohen needs to invest in next.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

As long as the "talent evaluators" remain with the team, you will continue to compete for a title. Yankees' farm system always one of the best in baseball.

That’s why trading Pete Crow Armstrong for the strikeout machine Baez put me over the edge this past year. Didn’t watch a Met game the rest of the season after that moronic move.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

That’s why trading Pete Crow Armstrong for the strikeout machine Baez put me over the edge this past year. Didn’t watch a Met game the rest of the season after that moronic move.

Don't know what type of pro PCA will be.... another Nimmo (nice piece ) or something special.

Baez can be a force on O & D and carry a team..... but as usual Mets get less of what the potential is. 

Can't kill Cohen on that signing... we were in contention at that point.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

.......what? The Yankees havent developed anyone besides Judge the last 5+ years. Their farm is hardly ever one of the best. They are awful at drafting. 

3 hours ago, Barton said:

.......what? The Yankees havent developed anyone besides Judge the last 5+ years. Their farm is hardly ever one of the best. They are awful at drafting. 

Well, I personally would swap Farm systems with them. Their players excel in the minors and are ready to make the jump. What continued development happens at the pro level was not the point of my post.

27 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Well, I personally would swap Farm systems with them. Their players excel in the minors and are ready to make the jump. What continued development happens at the pro level was not the point of my post.

True. Once the Yankees guys get to the majors, there is no plan, they get jerked around w/inconsistent playing time and lose their confidence.

• Upvote 1

I'm not a big fan of buying a championship. And it often doesn't work anyways. In terms of player acquisition I like skill and expertise and a level playing field. When the Mets or any team makes a smart signing and gets a good player at a fair price I like that over just killing it with overpaying. 40 mill plus a year for Scherzer is overkill. Look players are going to be getting more money because the sport is gaining extra revenue. Salaries should go up. But give me a great trade I like the off season a lot more. Trades are a lot of fun. 

• Upvote 1

Happy New Year fellow Mets fans. I am about 1/4 of the way through a great book that I received from my oldest son for Christmas about our beloved team        So Many Ways to Lose, by Devin Gordon. It is a look at the franchise literally from the beginning, and is a tremendous mix of humor, nostalgia and just trips down memory lane. Some tidbits of trivia from the first 100 pages.   1) Marv Throneberry was a top Yankee prospect, and was traded along with Don Larsen in 1959 to the KC Athletics for Roger Maris.2) In 1969, the Mets staff pitched 51 complete games, 34 of them by Tom and Kooz. 3) In 1969, Seaver faced 14 bases loaded situations, and gave up ONE single. Highly recommend reading this guys. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, BeaconJet said:

Well, after yesterdays news, at best the Mets will start on the road on April 7th, and the home opener would now be Friday, April 15th.  

Tentatively of course, assuming MLB gets its collective head out of its ass.

This whole set of bargaining seems to largely be a volley against Steve Cohen. The CBT is one of the biggest hangups, and these small market teams are scared of his spending. 

On 3/3/2022 at 10:33 AM, Scott Dierking said:

This whole set of bargaining seems to largely be a volley against Steve Cohen. The CBT is one of the biggest hangups, and these small market teams are scared of his spending. 

I'd rather just establish/increase the spending floor and keep the luxury tax where it is at this point.  Teams that are going to spend will spend regardless.  It's the tanking teams that are hurting the game the most.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 12/23/2021 at 12:52 PM, Barton said:

Fwiw, I think they're supposed to have a couple of very high end prospects (Dominguez and Volpe).