Jump to content

2022 New York Mets thread


Scott Dierking
 Share

Recommended Posts

What a time to bring up Alvarez!  Not sure what the Mets waited so long for.  This feels a bit unfair to him.

Btw, I'm pretty sure that if the Mets win just 1 of the 3 games that we win the tie-breaker against them (due to season series record).  Since we lead the division by 1 game going into this series, if we get 1 of 3, we'll go to the final 3 games tied but with the edge in the tiebreaker.  And we play the Nats in NY while the Braves play in Miami.  I would like our chances in such a scenario.  The Marlins are actually a pretty tough team with their young, talented players.  I think they should be able to get at least 1 game in that series.  And I like the Mets chances of winning 2 of 3 vs the Nats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What a time to bring up Alvarez!  Not sure what the Mets waited so long for.  This feels a bit unfair to him.

Btw, I'm pretty sure that if the Mets win just 1 of the 3 games that we win the tie-breaker against them (due to season series record).  Since we lead the division by 1 game going into this series, if we get 1 of 3, we'll go to the final 3 games tied but with the edge in the tiebreaker.  And we play the Nats in NY while the Braves play in Miami.  I would like our chances in such a scenario.  The Marlins are actually a pretty tough team with their young, talented players.  I think they should be able to get at least 1 game in that series.  And I like the Mets chances of winning 2 of 3 vs the Nats.

He's been injured and he needed at-bats.... not riding the MLB bench. Last 12 games he's been mashing.

"After a slow start with Syracuse — and an ankle injury that kept him out for nearly three weeks — he has come on strong of late. In Alvarez’s final 12 games with Syracuse before its season ended Wednesday, he hit .395 with a .519 on-base percentage and three home runs in 54 plate appearances."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wrap up:

deGrom grooves 3 pitches and the Braves go yard

Mets had several missed chances.

Alvarez overmatched. Launching his bat twice was a bit embarrassing.

Tough loss but Mad Max goes tomorrow. 

One win this series and our Magic# is 3 and we can wrap things up against Nats at home

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two observations. 1) loved that Buck let Alvarez hit in the 9th. Even though he k’d, the confidence they showed in him will pay off in a big way going forward. They called him up for these type of situations. 2). Really starting to lose confidence in Jake in these big spots. Last 4 starts in this  dogfight, he lost to the Cubs, blew a 3 run lead in the 6th to the A level Pirates, got shelled by a terrible A’s team and threw 3 gophers last night. All the K’s are fun to watch, but the bottom line is he is 5-4 and is a net+1 for this team. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Buck's bullpen decisions starting to worry me. MeGill has been trashcheeks since coming back, how do you bring him in there with the game still in reach. Alvarez overmatched and too excited, all the more reason he should have been brought up a month ago, so he could work through these things and help you now.

Would have been great to make a real move for a bullpen arm like Iglesias as opposed to Mychael Givens, come on!!! Gahhhh frustrated, find a way to win tonight please god.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Wrap up:

deGrom grooves 3 pitches and the Braves go yard

Mets had several missed chances.

Alvarez overmatched. Launching his bat twice was a bit embarrassing.

Tough loss but Mad Max goes tomorrow. 

One win this series and our Magic# is 3 and we can wrap things up against Nats at home

 

Just stinks because the only way this team has a chance moving forward is pitching and we throw our Ace out and he gets mashed.  That's what, 4 in a row deGrom has dropped giving up at least 3 runs in each outing.  The scary part is the amount of bombs he's giving up, it's at least 1 a game and they seems always timely right now, the K's are fun and great and impressive but his mistakes seems brutality costly right now and the Braves are the exact team to make you pay for it.  Really need an 8 inning domination outing from Max tonight because I just dont think this team has enough pop to battle the Braves line up.  I ******* loathe the Braves, possibly more than any other team in all of sports but you have to admit, they're built perfectly for modern day baseball and the Mets are just a bit disjointed in comparison, despite an incredible season and they really really miss Marte. 

Speaking of which, that was my first time ever watching Alvarez, and I hated everything about his plate appearances.  I hate the stance, I hate his swing, I hate his approach, lol, first glance, that doesnt look like a big league bat, where as and I know he's struggled but Baty looks like he's got swing/approach that can make it.  I dont really follow the farm closely, just kind of know the names/rankings, does that add up or is Alvarez supposed to be the better hitter?  Overall, I appreciate the confidence in him but just a weird spot to bring him up in.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, section314 said:

Two observations. 1) loved that Buck let Alvarez hit in the 9th. Even though he k’d, the confidence they showed in him will pay off in a big way going forward. They called him up for these type of situations. 2). Really starting to lose confidence in Jake in these big spots. Last 4 starts in this  dogfight, he lost to the Cubs, blew a 3 run lead in the 6th to the A level Pirates, got shelled by a terrible A’s team and threw 3 gophers last night. All the K’s are fun to watch, but the bottom line is he is 5-4 and is a net+1 for this team. 

deGrom is not the same guy he used to be.  He has become a 5-inning pitcher this year.  ERA above 9 in the 6th inning this year and BA against over .300, OPS of 1.10.  4 innings of that lineup against our bullpen scared me.  At least tonight, we have Scherzer, and if we ever needed him to throw like an ace and get us through 7 or 8, tonight is the night.  Only pitchers I want to see tonight are Scherzer into the 8th and Diaz to finish.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Just stinks because the only way this team has a chance moving forward is pitching and we throw our Ace out and he gets mashed.  That's what, 4 in a row deGrom has dropped giving up at least 3 runs in each outing.  The scary part is the amount of bombs he's giving up, it's at least 1 a game and they seems always timely right now, the K's are fun and great and impressive but his mistakes seems brutality costly right now and the Braves are the exact team to make you pay for it.  Really need an 8 inning domination outing from Max tonight because I just dont think this team has enough pop to battle the Braves line up.  I ******* loathe the Braves, possibly more than any other team in all of sports but you have to admit, they're built perfectly for modern day baseball and the Mets are just a bit disjointed in comparison, despite an incredible season and they really really miss Marte. 

Speaking of which, that was my first time ever watching Alvarez, and I hated everything about his plate appearances.  I hate the stance, I hate his swing, I hate his approach, lol, first glance, that doesnt look like a big league bat, where as and I know he's struggled but Baty looks like he's got swing/approach that can make it.  I dont really follow the farm closely, just kind of know the names/rankings, does that add up or is Alvarez supposed to be the better hitter?  Overall, I appreciate the confidence in him but just a weird spot to bring him up in.

 

Agree on Baty I believe I posted on this forum at the time that his injury was going to be much more significant than you would think for a guy who only had 40 AB’s to his name. He looked like he was starting to figure it out after that 1-19 spat and was hitting pretty much everything hard. Keith said many times that “I don’t care what the average is, this kid has the swing that will make him special.” 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Lith said:

deGrom is not the same guy he used to be.  He has become a 5-inning pitcher this year.  ERA above 9 in the 6th inning this year and BA against over .300, OPS of 1.10.  4 innings of that lineup against our bullpen scared me.  At least tonight, we have Scherzer, and if we ever needed him to throw like an ace and get us through 7 or 8, tonight is the night.  Only pitchers I want to see tonight are Scherzer into the 8th and Diaz to finish.

Heard an interesting theory on Michael Kay’s show about a week or so ago. Basically said that deGrom should become John Smoltz and be a closer. To your point, is basically a 6 inning pitcher max but still had the stuff that is inhittable  for 40-50 pitches per. If you could get those number of pitches 3 separate times a week…..Food for thought?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Heard an interesting theory on Michael Kay’s show about a week or so ago. Basically said that deGrom should become John Smoltz and be a closer. To your point, is basically a 6 inning pitcher max but still had the stuff that is inhittable  for 40-50 pitches per. If you could get those number of pitches 3 separate times a week…..Food for thought?

Hadn't really thought about that, but could you imagine deGrom and Diaz for the 8th and 9th innings.  He might be more valuable in that role than as a 5-inning starter.  Interesting idea, but would have to make sure deGrom could come back every two or three days.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Hadn't really thought about that, but could you imagine deGrom and Diaz for the 8th and 9th innings.  He might be more valuable in that role than as a 5-inning starter.  Interesting idea, but would have to make sure deGrom could come back every two or three days.

 

It’s great idea, but I doubt deGrom would be on board, he signed a VERY team friendly contract first go around, feel like he’s gonna try to cash in this time, as he should, closers don’t make the money SPs do

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Shoot me.  I give up.  

 

8 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Fml 

It’s me. I apologize in advance. I’m not allowed to see a winner in anything. 
 

 

last hope, like TT said earlier. We win today we hold the tie breaker, win today and mirror what the braves do for the last series we still win the division, I think. But Mad Max and deGrom getting beat handily is very discouraging 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

 

It’s me. I apologize in advance. I’m not allowed to see a winner in anything. 
 

 

last hope, like TT said earlier. We win today we hold the tie breaker, win today and mirror what the braves do for the last series we still win the division, I think. But Mad Max and deGrom getting beat handily is very discouraging 

No, it's my fault.  My wife is due in Dec.  We had our version of a baby shower, a Baby Rager last night, basically a party at a brewery.  Lots of fun, my entire family up.  Great time, 90's hip-hop theme, DJ, killer soul food, awesome beer and wine, there is a distillery next door for booze, lots of fun and ofcourse, we had the game on.  Well, my expected sons godfather is a die hard Braves fan (and Bulldog fan, which makes for some interesting times), as are a few other friends, when we took the lead, I turned to them and started talking all sorts of sh*t (I was feeling good at this point), dancing, making a scene screaming obscenities about the Braves.  Boy did that come back to haunt me.  And I never celebrate early, I know better and for that I apologize to all Mets fans for my absent minded behavior, this is my fault.

But yes, to your point, if they cant beat them with deGrom and Mad Max, just tip your cap to the better ball clubs.  It sucks, it stings, but it's reality.  They're just a better team more suited to play modern baseball and the Mets just are not at this time.  Sucks but lets be real, every Mets fan knew this was going to happen, I appreciate optimism and trying to stay positive but that's impossible with this team, this was inevitable.  Just have to hope they figure it out come post season but yeah, this has the feeling of another historic Mets collapse they just made us wait to the bitter end this time. .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

well unfortunately they got brought. i saw this coming a mile away. mets are good, but don't look like a championship team. gonna be a tough off season. 

Unfortunately, at this moment I agree. We really miss Marte, the mid season additions are zero impact. And our aces came up short. Big difference from the dodgers series early august. All this and we can still salvage the division. Starts with a win tonight 

Let’s go Mets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

But yes, to your point, if they cant beat them with deGrom and Mad Max, just tip your cap to the better ball clubs.  It sucks, it stings, but it's reality.  They're just a better team more suited to play modern baseball and the Mets just are not at this time.  Sucks but lets be real, every Mets fan knew this was going to happen, I appreciate optimism and trying to stay positive but that's impossible with this team, this was inevitable.  Just have to hope they figure it out come post season but yeah, this has the feeling of another historic Mets collapse they just made us wait to the bitter end this time. .

This is pretty much where I am at.  Mets are a good team, they have earned their playoff berth.  But the Braves are better.  Deeper lineup. Better bullpen.  Starting rotation can match ours.  We need three hits to get a run.  They do it with one swing of the bat.  We still have a chance if we can salvage the game tonight, but they are better.  And so are the Dodgers.

But get either or both in a short series in coming weeks, anthing can happen.  Disappointing weekend, but I am still looking forward to the playoffs.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well the Braves picked up 10 plus games on the Mets since June have played the best baseball in MLB and the Mets have played above average. Here is their 2022 month by month record. They were 15-11 in Sept. https://www.statmuse.com/mlb/ask/mets-record-by-month  And that was the case this past weekend lack of consistent hitting whereas Atlanta had consistent hitting including clutch Hrs. Also they have the better bullpen with the exception of closer. They shut the Mets down. You never know in the playoffs a team can get hot while another can go into a batting slump. But right now in the NL the key matchup is Dodgers vs Braves. Not the Mets. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...