Jump to content

2022 New York Mets thread


Scott Dierking
 Share

Recommended Posts

Season is over. They totally fell off the cliff. There will AGAIN be big changes next year.  Many on this team are free agents. They lack power and really only have McNeil who hits for average.  What they do with deGrom will be odd. If he stays it  will cost Cohen a small fortune. If he goes, they need another ace behind Scherzer.  Nimmo will be resigned. Alvarez will probably take over catching.  Just don’t see how they can add a power bat and add a .300 hitter to round off this lineup. They will desperately need to sign a DH that can possibly fill both those roles. Braves are younger, have way more power and have an array of young arms that really are difficult to contend with. They’ll need a radical upheaval to contend with them the next few years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm mad, I'm frustrated, I'm angry and I'm so ******* sick of watching this club choke away the regular season.  It's ******* clock work at this point.  This sh*t was inevitable, we all knew it.   Ugh, and the worst part is, the Braves are loaded and young and primed for another decade of dominance and I hate that ******* club with ever ounce of fiber in my body.  The flip side for the Mets is, they're disjointed, have a ton of free agents and are basically going to have to build a brand new roster and where are they going to find power to compete with the real teams of modern baseball, I have no ******* clue.   

Sometimes I wonder who hurts more to root for, the Mets or the Jets?  I often find myself saying the Mets just because of all the teases and let downs.

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I'm mad, I'm frustrated, I'm angry and I'm so ******* sick of watching this club choke away the regular season.  It's ******* clock work at this point.  This sh*t was inevitable, we all knew it.   Ugh, and the worst part is, the Braves are loaded and young and primed for another decade of dominance and I hate that ******* club with ever ounce of fiber in my body.  The flip side for the Mets is, they're disjointed, have a ton of free agents and are basically going to have to build a brand new roster and where are they going to find power to compete with the real teams of modern baseball, I have no ******* clue.   

Sometimes I wonder who hurts more to root for, the Mets or the Jets?  I often find myself saying the Mets just because of all the teases and let downs.

It’s the Mets by far. The jets just suck. There are no glimmers of hope, short burst of success 2 years here, 2 years there. But nothing to say wow we got something (hoping ZW changes that). Mets on the other hand give you real hope with solid players that the league and media buy into that just go nowhere even thought the players (for the most part) turn out to be really good players, late 90s with the best infield ever, mid 2000s loaded with tons of young talent and really nice hired guns, mid teens five aces and then this year came out of nowhere but the team was resilient some really good years from som good players and still when we needed it most , 2 aces came up average, bats were silenced and the team just didn’t have it they never looked like the team that never said die. The whole month of September has been pretty average against some sh*tty teams

On to the WC, maybe this wakes ‘em up and the days off cool down the braves. Nothing else to really hope for at this point 

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

It’s the Mets by far. The jets just suck. There are no glimmers of hope, short burst of success 2 years here, 2 years there. But nothing to say wow we got something (hoping ZW changes that). Mets on the other hand give you real hope with solid players that the league and media buy into that just go nowhere even thought the players (for the most part) turn out to be really good players, late 90s with the best infield ever, mid 2000s loaded with tons of young talent and really nice hired guns, mid teens five aces and then this year came out of nowhere but the team was resilient some really good years from som good players and still when we needed it most , 2 aces came up average, bats were silenced and the team just didn’t have it they never looked like the team that never said die. The whole month of September has been pretty average against some sh*tty teams

On to the WC, maybe this wakes ‘em up and the days off cool down the braves. Nothing else to really hope for at this point 

Mets woes come with the seasons, as the fall begins, the Mets start their fall too!  And at least it's predictable, so you can mentally prepare yourself for the mega let down that it is brewing but yeah, like you said, there is no hope w/ the Jets, the Mets at least pretend enough to get you close enough grab your balls and squeeze with all their might. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

With all the bullsh*t. And as bad as we played. This weekend it was finally fun to get a series that meant so much. I still enjoyed a lot of it besides the outcome. 
 

Hoping for more of this more frequently 

I don't know -- I wish I had that positive an outlook.  The only good to come of this series, is that we still have another chance, but we need to be better against the Padres or it could be a short post-season.  Hard for me to be optmistic after these last three games; there is not much that I enjoyed from the Mets this weekend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lith said:

I don't know -- I wish I had that positive an outlook.  The only good to come of this series, is that we still have another chance, but we need to be better against the Padres or it could be a short post-season.  Hard for me to be optmistic after these last three games; there is not much that I enjoyed from the Mets this weekend.

I’m not overly optimistic at all. But what else do we have at this point. It’s was an overachieving year and we still are gonna win around 100 games. We are definitely getting playoff baseball this year. Being a met fan (and a jet fan) my bar has been lowered. Give me excitement which the Mets have done and I’m ok. Not what I necessarily want but I’ll take compared to the alternative. Mets Braves 2x, dodgers Mets was a lot of fun this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In a big series, you need your best players to be your best players. The Braves got that and we didn’t. Pretty simple. The good news is that they start with a clean slate in a few days. Will be very interesting to see how Buck shapes the playoff roster.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only 6 division titles in franchise history.  Only 2 since 1988.

Sure would have been nice for this team to hold on for one from a pride/accomplishment standpoint.  But alas, we blew it.

Only way to erase that sting is to make a deep playoff run.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the Braves magic number is one and they’re playing the Marlins. You never know in short series a team can go flat and another get hot. It’s not all over for the Mets but at this moment they look like they can go out fast. Btw the move to replace Ruf as right handed DH with Alvarez didn’t work. So far this season in the minors Alvarez started out weak in AA and then tore it up and same in AAA. It takes him time to adjust to new surroundings. I’m not saying bad call by Mets esp with Ruf so ineffective. And Vogies numbers against lefties so low. It just didn’t work the guy so far is an 0-fer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Well the Braves picked up 10 plus games on the Mets since June have played the best baseball in MLB and the Mets have played above average. Here is their 2022 month by month record. They were 15-11 in Sept. https://www.statmuse.com/mlb/ask/mets-record-by-month  And that was the case this past weekend lack of consistent hitting whereas Atlanta had consistent hitting including clutch Hrs. Also they have the better bullpen with the exception of closer. They shut the Mets down. You never know in the playoffs a team can get hot while another can go into a batting slump. But right now in the NL the key matchup is Dodgers vs Braves. Not the Mets. 

The Braves are a great team and they took the division away from the Mets.  But it's still a sickening feeling.  The Mets only needed 1 of 3 games and they had DeGrom, Scherzer and Bassitt pitching.  It couldn't have been set up better.  As good as the Braves are, the Mets should have gotten 1 win (even without Marte).

Only the Mets can win 100 games (if they win 2 of 3 vs the Nats) and still leave their fans feeling like this.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was also sickening that Travis D'Arnaud had the big hit yesterday.  Doesn't it figure.  Yet another player (Justin Turner, Daniel Murphy and now D'Arnaud) who "finds himself" after leaving the Mets.

Meanwhile, how often do great players fall apart when they come to the Mets?   Roberto Alomar and Jason Bay come to mind.

And while he had a very good season, how about Lindor this weekend?  He came up small when the team needed him (especially with Marte out).  As the highest paid position player, he needed to step up. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And it's unclear where the Mets are going to be next season.  They have a lot of key free agents (starting with DeGrom).  I think the team will look a lot different next year.  It's not at all clear how good they'll be.  Though you would expect them to at least be pretty good due to Cohen's spending.

Meanwhile, I think the Braves have all of their key young guys signed to long term deals.  Their core is secure for ~8 years and at reasonable contracts.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hard to ignore the fact that Jake's opting out and completely shat the bed when the team needed him most the last 3 games. 

It’s last 4 games…. you’re forgetting the wonderful loss at home to the Cubs.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Mets need Marte back badly.  Not sure what his status is but if he comes back for the playoffs, that would be huge.

Also, a few years ago the Mets had a miserable June but then suddenly got red hot in July.  They had some brutal defeats but brushed it off like it was nothing the next day.  Pretty sure that was the year Alonso started "LFGM!"  Hopefully this team can do the same.  I can't imagine how amazing it would be to beat the Braves in post-season.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

So what are the chances the Braves lose the first two to the marlins, Mets sweep the DH today just to have the Braves win tomorrow? Or even worse Braves lose tomorrow and the Mets throw up a stinker on Wednesday…..

Since this is the Mets we're talking about, I think it's the most likely scenario.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing about the Marlins they do have some impressive young pitchers capable of stopping any team. And that's with losing their best pitcher Jose Fernandez a few years ago in a boating accident. Look I doubt we sweep or the Marlins do but it keeps our interest up at least for today. Not sure they will play today it's raining here on LI the aftermath of Ian. Nothing close to what Florida or the Carolinas got but it's been bad weather. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

One thing about the Marlins they do have some impressive young pitchers capable of stopping any team. And that's with losing their best pitcher Jose Fernandez a few years ago in a boating accident. Look I doubt we sweep or the Marlins do but it keeps our interest up at least for today. Not sure they will play today it's raining here on LI the aftermath of Ian. Nothing close to what Florida or the Carolinas got but it's been bad weather. 

They're not pitching Sandy Alcantara against the Braves though.  They decided he's done pitching for the year.  They love to screw over the Mets.

https://www.mlb.com/news/sandy-alcantara-won-t-pitch-again-this-season-for-marlins

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Buddy of mine and fellow Mets fan was talking to me today about how its hard to get on Lindor after a 25 HR/100 RBI season in which he stayed healthy all year, but based on how often he K's couldn't help but wonder how many guys fail to reach the .800 OPS mark despite hitting 25/100.

I looked it up and only 2 guys have done this since 2018 (none in '18 or '19):

  • Ozzie Albies - 2021:  30 HR, 106 RBI, .799 OPS
  • Kyle Seager - 2021:  35/101/.723

And these are the guys at risk of falling into that category in 2022 along with Lindor (currently 25/103/.789):

  • Matt Olson:  33/101/.799
  • CJ Cron:  29/102/.786
  • Willy Adames:  31/98/.755
  • Dansby Swanson:  25/96/.781
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2022 at 6:29 AM, JiFapono said:

I'm mad, I'm frustrated, I'm angry and I'm so ******* sick of watching this club choke away the regular season.  It's ******* clock work at this point.  This sh*t was inevitable, we all knew it.   Ugh, and the worst part is, the Braves are loaded and young and primed for another decade of dominance and I hate that ******* club with ever ounce of fiber in my body.  The flip side for the Mets is, they're disjointed, have a ton of free agents and are basically going to have to build a brand new roster and where are they going to find power to compete with the real teams of modern baseball, I have no ******* clue.   

Sometimes I wonder who hurts more to root for, the Mets or the Jets?  I often find myself saying the Mets just because of all the teases and let downs.

And the Braves have won 4 NL East titles in a row (and soon to be 5) and they're just getting started with their current core.  They've dominated the Mets forever and they're ready for a whole new era of it.  Cohen has money but are the Mets going to just buy stars everywhere?  Supposedly we have good young players in the minors (Baty, Vientos, Alvarez, etc) but who knows which (if any) will pan out.  Of course, the Braves have young stars all over the place.

I think the Jets have been more painful but the Mets are similar.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

100 games. The Mets won ONE HUNDRED games. First time since 1988. And it’s still a disappointing feeling right now, how anyone can say the jets are even in the same stratosphere of ****ery is crazy. 
 

Always go back to this, the Mets are probably the only team in professional sports to make top 5 playoff play of all time be a bad memory for their fans 

But on a good note, they won at least 100 games this year, the stink of the Braves series is wiped clean for now. Playoff baseball is back at citi. Let’s see how they respond 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

100 games. The Mets won ONE HUNDRED games. First time since 1988. And it’s still a disappointing feeling right now, how anyone can say the jets are even in the same stratosphere of ****ery is crazy. 
 

Always go back to this, the Mets are probably the only team in professional sports to make top 5 playoff play of all time be a bad memory for their fans 

But on a good note, they won at least 100 games this year, the stink of the Braves series is wiped clean for now. Playoff baseball is back at citi. Let’s see how they respond 

It's crazy, we should be so excited but the sting of that Braves series just lingers.  Hell, I'm such a gluten for punishment, guess what I was watching last night?  Braves v Marlins, waited to watch the Braves celebrate winning the NL East for the 5th straight time.  Sat their numb, stoned and depressed, just watching, not moving, not blinking, somewhat lifeless and then I said, you know what, I hope we get a chance at these ****ers again, dont care if they win, but I want another shot.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

It's crazy, we should be so excited but the sting of that Braves series just lingers.  Hell, I'm such a gluten for punishment, guess what I was watching last night?  Braves v Marlins, waited to watch the Braves celebrate winning the NL East for the 5th straight time.  Sat their numb, stoned and depressed, just watching, not moving, not blinking, somewhat lifeless and then I said, you know what, I hope we get a chance at these ****ers again, dont care if they win, but I want another shot.

I think most Met fans think the same way.  100 wins for only the 3rd time in franchise history yet this season feels like a downer (at least right now).  I watched the Met game on SNY last night and was following the ESPN app.  On SNY they showed a Citifield bar that was showing the Marlins game.  Was cool how they were cutting away between pitches. 

I also hope we somehow get another shot at the Braves.  Talk about a team that needs some comeuppance from the Mets.  They've owned us for so long and there's no end in sight right now.  Would love to be the team that takes them down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hope Jake, Max and Bassit got the bad starts out of their systems. If they are right, love our chances against anyone.Buck has some decisions to make on the roster. Think he may carry 3 catchers to keep Alvarez’s bat vs Snell. Bullpen will be tough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gary brought this up and I find it interesting. Let’s say you start deGrom game 1 WC round and win, maybe you should start Bassit game 2, save Max for hopefully game 1 DS or if need be game 3 WC round. It’s not a bad idea if you get a victory game 1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...