2022 New York Mets thread

Scott Dierking

4 hours ago, section314 said:

More good news….Braves signed Strider to a 6 year deal.

I wonder if the Mets tried to sign Alonso to a long term deal?  After 2020 or 2021 would have been ideal, but now he'll be a lot more expensive if they try to lock him up for awhile.  McNeil?  Now he's a batting champion.

23 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I wonder if the Mets tried to sign Alonso to a long term deal?  After 2020 or 2021 would have been ideal, but now he'll be a lot more expensive if they try to lock him up for awhile.  McNeil?  Now he's a batting champion.

Of course the Mets are going to be over a barrel when it comes time to sign their key players, while the Braves have already locked up all of theirs for the next 5-10 years.

Tuesday Morning Reaction GIF by The Secret Life Of Pets

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Francisco Lindor (age 28) vs Andres Gimenez (age 23)

Gimenez has the higher batting average, slugging, OBP, SB.

Lindor has 26 HRs to Gimenez's 17 but in 630 ABs (compared to Gimenez's 491).  He also has a big lead on RBIs and runs but aren't those devalued stats these days?

I'm not sure how Gimenez's defense has been this year but he looked like a star defensively when he was on the Mets.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lindofr01.shtml

2022 Contract Status: Signed thru 2031, 10 yrs/$341M (22-31)

image.png.ebd5e4a447369ad760a3e72f95c274a6.png

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gimenan01.shtml

2022 Contract Status: Pre-Arb Eligible

Service Time (01/2022): 1.106  •  Arb Eligible: 2024  •  Free Agent: 2027

image.png.8945607e8d4a1bd7595071197ac9ffbb.png

And let's not forget, the Guardians also got Amed Rosario (currently 26 years old) in that trade. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rosaram01.shtml

2022 Contract Status: Signed thru 2022, 1 yr/$4.95M (22)

Service Time (01/2022): 4.062  •  Arb Eligible: 2023  •  Free Agent: 2024

25056070_AmedRosario.JPG.ea383385dbce0f2616fa7335dd54fbca.JPG

I’m a big believer of not trading for stars in there walk year.  Either over pay on FA or stay away. Usually end up in the short side of things

• Upvote 2

On 10/10/2022 at 12:08 PM, TheClashFan said:

The smart move right now would be to blow it up and do a quick rebuild, but Cohen put his 5 year timeline in place, so that won't happen.  3 years to go with an old team with a huge payroll that is likely to go way up.

Stop throwing money at mediocrities like McCann, Canha, and Escobar.  Also, no more massive contracts for old guys likely to fall off the age cliff soon (Scherzer).  Max missed about 1/3 of the season and laid not one but two eggs when the Mets needed him most at the end.  Lots of years and innings on his arm.  Also, maybe no more 10 year contracts for anyone not named Aaron Judge.

I'm guessing a massive offer for Judge is forthcoming.  On another forum I already predicted an opening offer of $300 million for 6 years, and Cohen might go for 8 or 10 years. And how much will it cost to put together a rotation next year?  Lots b/c the Mets have no good young pitching prospects on the horizon.

It has to sting that both Seattle and Cleveland, who the Mets did "win now" trades with in recent years, have advanced further into the playoffs than the Mets did this year.  Mets are still paying for that Seattle trade...$20 million more next year for Cano.

The Seattle trade was a good trade so far. We got Diaz, they got Kelenic who hit .150.  

Cano was the price we had to pay for Diaz. They held out for Kelenic. The two main pieces were Kelenic and Diaz, and that has been a slam dunk. 

39 minutes ago, section314 said:

The Seattle trade was a good trade so far. We got Diaz, they got Kelenic who hit .150.  

Cano was the price we had to pay for Diaz. They held out for Kelenic. The two main pieces were Kelenic and Diaz, and that has been a slam dunk. 

But relievers (other than Mariano Rivera) are usually far too erratic to make it worth it to give a long-term deals to.  If Kelenic hits (a major if right now), however, Seattle will have a guy they can have around for 10-15 years.

29 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

But relievers (other than Mariano Rivera) are usually far too erratic to make it worth it to give a long-term deals to.  If Kelenic hits (a major if right now), however, Seattle will have a guy they can have around for 10-15 years.

You know what’s even more interesting? I have a couple of friends who were still scouting for MLB teams when that trade went down. Supposedly, the Mets offered Nimo and they wanted Kelenic.?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Totally disagree.  Diaz should've been the sweetener for taking on Cano's declining years at $20.25 million per year.  That's basic sports GMing.  Take on bad contract and get a sweetener.  Or, just trade Kelenic straight up for Diaz.  That would look good right now.  There were all kinds of reports at the time that the Mariners coveted Kelenic and would have drafted him had not the Mets beat them to it.

However Brody gives back two blue chip prospects and unloads 2 short term contracts (one of which, Jay Bruce, the Mariners later flipped to the Phillies, I think, for 2 more prospects).  Great deal for a rebuilding Mariners club, even with the 2 prospects not panning out as they got out from under the Cano contract for the cost of just one reliever.

It was a "go for it" trade by the Mets.  After that trade and a couple of other bad moves, Brody gave his infamous "come get us" remark.  Awful.

And now, with 0 playoff series wins in what, four years (?), Diaz is now an expensive free agent.  And the Mets still owe $20.25M for Cano.  And Seattle just won a playoff series.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, section314 said:

You know what’s even more interesting? I have a couple of friends who were still scouting for MLB teams when that trade went down. Supposedly, the Mets offered Nimo and they wanted Kelenic.?

I also remember reading that McNeil was rumored to be in the deal, but it ended up being Kelenic and Justin Dunn.

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Kelenic not panning out keeps the trade from being an epic fail...maybe the worst Mets trade ever.  Instead, it is just regular bad stuff.  Overpay.  Brody got rightfully fired within 2 years for that and many other dumb moves. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I also remember reading that McNeil was rumored to be in the deal, but it ended up being Kelenic and Justin Dunn.

I feel like there was talk of trading McNeil this past offseason.  I think most Met fans didn't want that to happen at the time but the FO was considering it.  Glad they didn't pull the trigger on that one.  I'd be livid.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, section314 said:

Not gonna lie, when it went down I heard this too and was pissed. At the time I’d much rather have given up nimmo then Klenic 

3 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

Kelenic not panning out keeps the trade from being an epic fail...maybe the worst Mets trade ever.  Instead, it is just regular bad stuff.  Overpay.  Brody got rightfully fired within 2 years for that and many other dumb moves. 

I disagree. Kelenic panning out just would’ve hurt more for us fans. As a trade it’s irrelevant what his career ends up being. He was an asset with a value. We got nowhere near the value he was worth at the time, which seems to be a tradition in the history of the mets. See Kazmir for more evidene

The NY Mets getting Pennie’s on the dollar for as long as I can remember 

4 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

He hasn't panned out so far but he still could.  2 hits for him tonight btw.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

I disagree. Kelenic panning out just would’ve hurt more for us fans. As a trade it’s irrelevant what his career ends up being. He was an asset with a value. We got nowhere near the value he was worth at the time, which seems to be a tradition in the history of the mets. See Kazmir for more evidene

The NY Mets getting Pennie’s on the dollar for as long as I can remember 

Kelenic's already high value went up the season after the trade.  He tore through A and AA ball and, I think, became a top 10 overall prospect in MiLB all while Cano and Diaz were terrible for the Mets.  Also, the Mariners later flipped Justin Dunn as part of a trade with Cincinnati for Jesse Winker and Eugenio Suarez before this season. Those guys combined for 45 HR for Seattle this year.  So, they got some value back for him.

The Mets didn't get the elite closer version of Diaz until this year....just before he hits free agency and will be super expensive to retain.

• Upvote 1

I feel like there was talk of trading McNeil this past offseason.  I think most Met fans didn't want that to happen at the time but the FO was considering it.  Glad they didn't pull the trigger on that one.  I'd be livid.

I wonder if it had anything to do with McNeil and Lindor supposedly not getting along?

• Upvote 1

On 10/9/2022 at 11:16 PM, Rangers9 said:

Only one team wins the championship. Which doesn’t mean other teams in playoffs aren’t capable of winning it. The Mets are and in that category. So are the Yankees, Braves, Dodgers, etc. 

No.

The Mets are not at all in the same category of the Yankees, Braves and Dodgers, who have all advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Try harder. Things are not true simply because you want them to be.

20 hours ago, JetPotato said:

No.

The Mets are not at all in the same category of the Yankees, Braves and Dodgers, who have all advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Going into the month of September I’d argue they were a head of the Yankees. As much as it pains you to hear. Luckily for you with playing the worst ball at the worst time and all the impending free agents you are correct at this point they are no longer in that category

On 10/13/2022 at 10:02 AM, Anthony Jet said:

Going into the month of September I’d argue they were a head of the Yankees. As much as it pains you to hear. Luckily for you with playing the worst ball at the worst time and all the impending free agents you are correct at this point they are no longer in that category

No, it doesn't pain me to hear your delusions. Not one bit.

On 10/12/2022 at 1:24 PM, JetPotato said:

No.

Not sure you understand what the word "advanced" means. Yes they are playing in the second round, and they earned that right. But they did not "advance".

I remember when Yankee fans only cared about "championships". That century that passed.

• Haha 3

Thankfully, The "qualifying offer" was kept in  mlb's revised new agreement.

If they cannot sign any of deGrom, Nimmo and Bassit and Diaz, I am absolutely sure they would extend that offer to them. It is $19.6m. Not sure if they would extend to Carasco and Walker.

Would take some of the sting out of losing any of those players and give the Mets a haul if they draft correctly and create a huge prospect system for them.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Would love to see the Phillies beat the Braves and Padres beat the Dodgers just to expose the baseball postseason for having too many teams and rounds.

Btw, I'm rooting for any AL team other than the Yankees to win the World Series.  

I was having the same thought yesterday.  Padres finish the season 22 games back of the Dodgers and now can elminate them, same with the Phillies who were 14 back fo Atlanta in 3rd place.  And I am rooting for them both.  This is what mlb wanted -- money ahead of competition.  Baseball's post season used to be great.  I go back to the days where each league had a champ and you always had the best team in each league playing for a championship.  Or when you had to be a Division Champ to make the post season.

This year, we could have the 6th best NL team against the 5th best AL team.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I was having the same thought yesterday.  Padres finish the season 22 games back of the Dodgers and now can elminate them, same with the Phillies who were 14 back fo Atlanta in 3rd place.  And I am rooting for them both.  This is what mb wanted -- money ahead of competition.  Baseball's post season used to be great.  I go back to the days where each league had a champ and you always had the best team in each league playing for a championship.  Or when you had to be a Division Champ to make the post season.

This year, we could have the 6th best NL team against the 5th best AL team.

Also it's weird that baseball now has a bracket for the playoffs.  I really don't like the expanded playoffs at all. The regular season is 6 months long but now you also have to win 3-4 rounds of postseason play to win the World Series too?! 

And we have a best-of-3, best-of-5, and 2 best-of-7's?!  They're all over the place with this.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Also it's weird that baseball now has a bracket for the playoffs.  I really don't like the expanded playoffs at all. The regular season is 6 months long but now you also have to win 3-4 rounds of postseason play to win the World Series too?! 

And we have a best-of-3, best-of-5, and 2 best-of-7's?!  They're all over the place with this.

World Series and LCS used to be must watch TV.  I never missed a game.  Now, with the Mets eliminated, I check the scores on occasion and may watch an inning or two if a game is close in the late innings.  I could probably list every World Series Champ from 1903 - 2003 and only miss a couple of the Series losers.  And then the last 20 years, I would be lucky to get half of them right. 

Baseball has become a regional sport, at least for me, I follow my team and thats about it.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lith said:

World Series and LCS used to be must watch TV.  I never missed a game.  Now, with the Mets eliminated, I check the scores on occasion and may watch an inning or two if a game is close in the late innings.  I could probably list every World Series Champ from 1903 - 2003 and only miss a couple of the Series losers.  And then the last 20 years, I would be lucky to get half of them right. 

Baseball has become a regional sport, at least for me, I follow my team and thats about it.

Same here.  I used to love postseason baseball.  Now, like you, with the Mets eliminated,  I'm not sure how much I'll watch (if any) the rest of the way.  I did watch (and enjoy!) some of the Yankees loss yesterday.

• Upvote 1

There are at least two players Alderson got rid of for nothing and even at the time it made no sense unless he had something personal against them. D’Arnaud and Justin Turner. Travis even back then was a good offensive catcher who could play the position. There were rumors with Turner there were off the field problems but with LA he’s been one of the best players in the National League and an All Star. 

39 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Same here.  I used to love postseason baseball.  Now, like you, with the Mets eliminated,  I'm not sure how much I'll watch (if any) the rest of the way.  I did watch (and enjoy!) some of the Yankees loss yesterday.

i LOVED the Yankees loss yesterday. 

cant wait to hear their fans cry when they lose Judge

• Haha 1

Ok so if the Padres beat the LAD it means in a short series the underdogs are winning. The Mets and ATL won 101 games and Philly won 87 and they are in the NLCS. Right now SD leads their series vs the Dodgers 2-1 so they could win it tonight. The Dodgers won 111 games during regular season and SD won 89. 

• Upvote 1