2022 New York Mets thread

Scott Dierking

37 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You can see that this line-up consists of some professional hitters now. Guys that are are not afraid to get deep in a count and work a pitcher. 

100%, lots of first strike takes, fake bunts.  Speaking of which, it tickled me when Cano laid down a bunt to start the 5th inning rally.  I freaking hate the shift sh*t in baseball and I've always wanted to see someone make a D pay for it and Cano did and it was great.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Oh hey, Mets won on opening day!!!

A couple of laughers for me; Marte was thrown out twice last year 25/27.  Gets thrown on his first attempt as a Met.  Had to chuckle.

6th inning, 2 hits w/ 2 out both for RBI's, that's new! 

Yup, not the best opening day for my Nats.

And um, sorry about beaning your best hitter in the mouth.  If it makes you feel any better, Mason Thompson has absolutely no control, the guy is the poster child for "can throw hard, so put him in, who cares if he can throw strikes or not kill people" mentality in modern baseball that many hitters have bemoaned. :(  He was trash last year, wild as they come, his three strikeouts that inning nonwithstanding. 

Hope your guy is ok.  Word is he was ok, but that was scary.

Seeing Scherzer in Mets colors hurt.  Listening to tonight's game is going to hurt.  No fault of Max's, just hurts to see a guy you love go elsewhere and then come play against you.  I liked Max more than I've liked most Jets players in recent years, lol.  

On that throwout, seems this Ruiz kid at Catcher could be a real deal.  One of the young players us Nats fans have to be potentially excited about in our future.  Adams, the backup, seems like he could be an asset as well, especially at the plate.  Future DH/backup C/backup 1B maybe.

That Soto bomb was sweet tho.  Gonna hate seeing him play for the Dodgers in a few years.....

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Yup, not the best opening day for my Nats.

And um, sorry about beaning your best hitter in the mouth.  If it makes you feel any better, Mason Thompson has absolutely no control, the guy is the poster child for "can throw hard, so put him in, who cares if he can throw strikes or not kill people" mentality in modern baseball that many hitters have bemoaned. :(  He was trash last year, wild as they come, his three strikeouts that inning nonwithstanding. 

Hope your guy is ok.  Word is he was ok, but that was scary.

Seeing Scherzer in Mets colors hurt.  Listening to tonight's game is going to hurt.  No fault of Max's, just hurts to see a guy you love go elsewhere and then come play against you.  I liked Max more than I've liked most Jets players in recent years, lol.  

On that throwout, seems this Ruiz kid at Catcher could be a real deal.  One of the young players us Nats fans have to be potentially excited about in our future.  Adams, the backup, seems like he could be an asset as well, especially at the plate.  Future DH/backup C/backup 1B maybe.

That Soto bomb was sweet tho.  Gonna hate seeing him play for the Dodgers in a few years.....

Ruiz had a nice game behind the plate.  Kept a lot of wild pitches in front of him.

When I saw you respond, I literally thought in my head, I wonder if he realizes Soto will be traded to the Dodgers by the end of the season?  lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Ruiz had a nice game behind the plate.  Kept a lot of wild pitches in front of him.

When I saw you respond, I literally thought in my head, I wonder if he realizes Soto will be traded to the Dodgers by the end of the season?  lol

I don't think it'll be that soon, I believe we still own his rights for multiple years.

But in his final year?  Yup, no question he gets traded.  Like Harper, I don't see any way he gets resigned before that, he's going to play the market.

And while DC is "sorta rich" in baseball terms, we're not one of the true Big Fish, Mets, Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, etc.

My wife has Apple TV. Watching the game. Sherzer not sharp but still eating keeping us in the game. Big triple by Nimmo, Cano can still hit… guys a pure hitter. Just now another hit batter. Lindor right in the jaw! Bull sh*t!

The Apple announcers suck! The two ladies and the other dude are ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE! Unbearable to listen to . Apple trying to get the woke play callers vs. pro announcers  

On Soto and McNeill HR only had one replay  

2 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Can't get apple tv without adding credit card info . no effing way . Suck my donuts .

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

I don't think it'll be that soon, I believe we still own his rights for multiple years.

But in his final year?  Yup, no question he gets traded.  Like Harper, I don't see any way he gets resigned before that, he's going to play the market.

And while DC is "sorta rich" in baseball terms, we're not one of the true Big Fish, Mets, Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, etc.

If the Lerners wanted to spend money, they could. It really is the same as any other club, regardless of market size, as they claim. There are soooo many avenues that clubs have at their disposal, outside of ticket sales and media revenue. Just witness the extra revenue streams mlb picked up as a whole, with the whole stupid Amazon deal, Peacock deal, Apple deal which confuse fans and dilute team identity.

Mets fans too, once were told that we needed to be fiscally responsible. All the while as their ownership treated the club as some extra avenue to line their already rich pockets. And I don't begrudge anyone making a profit.

Just look at how the clubs aligned during the most recent labor strife. Small market clubs (being funded by their larger brethren), ganging up to impose stiff penalties (all to their own benefit) to give them greater revenue. Which they don't spend in many cases. 

DC is the 9th largest market in the country. The Nats have the 20th highest payroll.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

If the Lerners wanted to spend money, they could. It really is the same as any other club, regardless of market size, as they claim. There are soooo many avenues that clubs have at their disposal, outside of ticket sales and media revenue. Just witness the extra revenue streams mlb picked up as a whole, with the whole stupid Amazon deal, Peacock deal, Apple deal which confuse fans and dilute team identity.

Mets fans too, once were told that we needed to be fiscally responsible. All the while as their ownership treated the club as some extra avenue to line their already rich pockets. And I don't begrudge anyone making a profit.

Just look at how the clubs aligned during the most recent labor strife. Small market clubs (being funded by their larger brethren), ganging up to impose stiff penalties (all to their own benefit) to give them greater revenue. Which they don't spend in many cases. 

DC is the 9th largest market in the country. The Nats have the 20th highest payroll.

The Lerners have limits other richer owners choose not to have, no question.  And we're 20th not because we're cheap, but because we're in full rebuild mode after using up all our farm system to get us the 2019 series and the decade or so of good competitive years before that.  

And thank God DC market is as good as it is, because it should be remembered that this area is still mostly transients/imports.  Hence why we often have as many Mets Fans as Nats Fans, because guys like me moved from NY to DC.  Not great for in-person revenue per se.

Also important to remember, that the most lucrative revenue stream, TV, is half owned by Baltimore, not the Nats.  Part of the inappropriate devil's bargain made to get us the Nats in the first place.

We're not NY or Boston, but like I said, we're comfortable middle class.  We won't be 20th in salary forever, I'm sure.

And yes, Baseball needs both a hard floor and hard cap IMO.  And TV revenue sharing, just like the NFL.  Will never happen, but a boy can dream.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

The Lerners have limits other richer owners choose not to have, no question.  And we're 20th not because we're cheap, but because we're in full rebuild mode after using up all our farm system to get us the 2019 series and the decade or so of good competitive years before that.  

And thank God DC market is as good as it is, because it should be remembered that this area is still mostly transients/imports.  Hence why we often have as many Mets Fans as Nats Fans, because guys like me moved from NY to DC.  Not great for in-person revenue per se.

Also important to remember, that the most lucrative revenue stream, TV, is half owned by Baltimore, not the Nats.  Part of the inappropriate devil's bargain made to get us the Nats in the first place.

We're not NY or Boston, but like I said, we're comfortable middle class.  We won't be 20th in salary forever, I'm sure.

And yes, Baseball needs both a hard floor and hard cap IMO.  And TV revenue sharing, just like the NFL.  Will never happen, but a boy can dream.  

The Nats went somewhat "cheap" in the return of Turner and Scherzer by asking the Dodgers to pay future monies owed. That lessened the return they could have gotten. Ruiz (particularly) and Gray are nice pieces for sure. But they could have done better, but they attached getting money back. Small market move.

Their big mistakes were hitching the wagons to Strasburg and Corbin. Those were bad contracts. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

That was just AWFUL. Not sure if they were trying to create a "woman's" audience there, but it was a big FAIL.

If it was aimed ay women, it was a double-fail, my Wife hated it.  Said "why can't they find women who really know and love Baseball to do it, it's not like they're not out there", and she's 100% right.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

If it was aimed ay women, it was a double-fail, my Wife hated it.  Said "why can't they find women who really know and love Baseball to do it, it's not like they're not out there", and she's 100% right.

My wife hated it also. We were thinking of trying to synch the Mets radio broadcast, but knew it wouldn't work.

Both the Mets and the Nats have great broadcast teams. We are spoiled there. Although the "see you later" tagline gets a little old sometimes. 

• Upvote 2

It's mind boggling that the Mets have a 270mm payroll and not a penny of it went to improve what was one of the worst pens in baseball. Lugo can't be the setup man, he has terrible control and needs to grow a pair. It's nice to see one of our "prized" FA signings, Cahana, who's an outfielder,  not be able to reach Lindor on a relay throw from 100 feet away. Dom Smith needs to play everyday. The parts on this team do not fit.....this can't be the finished product.

24 minutes ago, section314 said:

It's mind boggling that the Mets have a 270mm payroll and not a penny of it went to improve what was one of the worst pens in baseball. Lugo can't be the setup man, he has terrible control and needs to grow a pair. It's nice to see one of our "prized" FA signings, Cahana, who's an outfielder,  not be able to reach Lindor on a relay throw from 100 feet away. Dom Smith needs to play everyday. The parts on this team do not fit.....this can't be the finished product.

And we're right back into an injury plagued pitching staff, so that's new and neat.

• Haha 2

So, I cannot possibly be the only one who was watching the 9th inning last night, expecting a 3-run walkoff HR from Hoskins.  After the last two nights, a walk off HR off Diaz giving Familia a win would have been too much.  Instead Diaz gets the last out to close out another stellar start from Megill.

4-2 is a pretty good start, but it could have been so much better.  Hoepfully they keep it going today with Scerzer on the hill.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

So, I cannot possibly be the only one who was watching the 9th inning last night, expecting a 3-run walkoff HR from Hoskins.  After the last two nights, a walk off HR off Diaz giving Familia a win would have been too much.  Instead Diaz gets the last out to close out another stellar start from Megill.

4-2 is a pretty good start, but it could have been so much better.  Hoepfully they keep it going today with Scerzer on the hill.

Lugo has not been himself after a stellar stretch in 2018 * 2019. Still hitting mid 90's but movement has flattened out.

Diaz is still a heart attack waiting to happen!

That Nats loss was tough to swallow... Williams!

On 4/13/2022 at 4:48 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Lugo was lights out two years ago. Don't know what's happened apart from a crazy COVID 20 & 21. Movement has flattened out.

@section314

I wonder if Lugo is suffering from the same thing that Gerrit ColeIs suffering from. They made Pitchers stop using the tacky grip and their rotation spin rate is down.

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

@section314

I wonder if Lugo is suffering from the same thing that Gerrit ColeIs suffering from. They made Pictures stop using the tacky grip and their rotation spin rate is down.

Wouldn’t shock me. The thing I noticed the other night was he got beat on his 3rd best pitch. He has a good rising fastball and a good curve. He got beat on the slider twice.

On 4/15/2022 at 11:59 AM, Lith said:

Seaver Statue unveiled.  Hope to have a chance to see it for myself this summer, if I can get in to NY.

image.png

Perfect choice to represent his pitching style. That leg drive of his I will always remember. His legs were tree trunks and that extension.