Why are we being so friggin impatient with Zach?

LSJF

Mostly because the entire season is about his development. They clearly had one plan going in and called an audible and changed it. That being said, its nice that we know what we have in Moore and Carter on offense, whom would not have developed as well if Zach stayed in all season. That doesnt mean Zach is bad, he is playing similarly to lance, fields, and lawerence at this stage. Mac Jones is the clear winner, but maybe thats Nick Saban preparing him for the big leagues? I dont know, and it doesnt matter. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Just now, Wit said:

Mostly because the entire season is about his development. They clearly had one plan going in and called an audible and changed it. That being said, its nice that we know what we have in Moore and Carter on offense, whom would not have developed as well if Zach stayed in all season. That doesnt mean Zach is bad, he is playing similarly to lance, fields, and lawerence at this stage. Mac Jones is the clear winner, but maybe thats Nick Saban preparing him for the big leagues? I dont know, and it doesnt matter. 

I know, but only six games in, we are at the pro level, he's going to have a nice softer finish to the season, if he stays healthy he should improve...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LSJF said:

Sam seems like he's  gets his sh*te together, he will be an exciting QB, he's the same Sam we loved when he was being compared to maholmes and buddying it up with Aaron Rogers... Even the media fell in love with him, like Trevor Lawrence, Fields, etc, they are learning nobody but Mac is doing great...

The line is getting better, and if our LT comes back he will have just enuff time for him to make decisions... Did you see his improv play in the Tennessee game, when he was rookie of the week...

I mean yeah he's gotta lotta ways to go, but I still think he has it, and if he doesn't we will know soon enough... He is GREEN, and players who are green and have talent are  raw, he's not polished but not hopeless at least give him til the middle of next year to see if he is catching on...

Sam?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Nice post. Nice thread. May I ask nicely for people to not crap on this one like every other thread on this board? Plenty of threads to repeat “ Zach sucks” on this board. Let’s try and not in this one. Thanks In advance for your cooperation in this matter. 

Ok, Crush.

Was just about to post when I saw this, lol.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Nice post. Nice thread. May I ask nicely for people to not crap on this one like every other thread on this board? Plenty of threads to repeat “ Zach sucks” on this board. Let’s try and not in this one. Thanks In advance for your cooperation in this matter. 

Shut yer Zachlovin mug!

• Haha 2

I mean yeah he's gotta lotta ways to go,

Took alot of reading to get to the key point.

You're quite right.  He has a lotta ways to go.

at least give him til the middle of next year to see if he is catching on...

Do we fans have a choice?

I was unaware I could cut or bench a QB.  

Or do really you mean we should just shut up, and not talk about Zach if we can't find something nice to say?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Ummm, errrr, sorry?  I mean, he asks questions and stuff.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

We were told to "be patient" with Sanchez, Geno and Darnold.   That's not a great indicator that patience in Wilson will result in success.  Sometimes (even most times), what you see is actually what you see.

This time next maybe around Halloween if he's still looking like crap, then yeh, start to make other plans for QB... But the other guys you mentioned, Sanchez, had his moments early, he engineered a lot of comebacks in the beginning, when he got pummeled by the ravens in a pre season game, he was never the same

Geno, we all knew it was bust or a luck boom with Geno

Darnold we had hope which is why we have no patience with Zach...But Sam appeared clueless, Zach appears raw...

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

It probably has to do with how obnoxious the offseason was around here regarding Zach.  There were people outright cursing people out and telling them they "knew nothing about Football" for questioning him as a prospect.   People were so dramatic on both sides, that lines have been crossed in the sand and those lines were dug very deep.  Many of us arent ready to write him off but simultaneously very worried about him because IMO he's the worst rookie QB I've ever seen take a snap for the Jets and that's saying something and not in a good way.

Bravo, exactly on all counts.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Do we fans have a choice?

I was unaware I could cut or bench a QB.  

I guess I meant the eighteen current threads on bashing, replacing Zach etc...on JN I mean if you would like to create a Zach sucks thread, have at it...it's just annoying

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, LSJF said:

Do you really feel he has no shot to get acclimated to the pro game?

When he was drafted it was known that it took him time to adjust at every level he has played. However when he adjusted he was number two pick worthy...

He's got skills, arm strength, mobility, improvisational ability, moxie...He's kinda skinny, I hope that injuries don't become a thing...if so then it's a bust...

the game is way fast for him now, but this is what experience is about... especially in the same way he had to grow in college, he will have to master the pro game, he's a game smart dude with winning play instincts, he is green right now, deal with it... the weopanz are good enough for plays to happen, I think we will see improvement... He's forcing passes, throwing to hard, trying to do do much...it was smart of Lafleur to do runs, nothing wrong with running the ball the way we did...He will emerge maybe not  today, but which QB outside of Mac and Herbert have already...

I know we have PSTD over Darnold, I agree, but honestly he seemed super nice, but low football IQ, only with a team like N England could Sam seem competent... 

When Zach  he's  gets his sh*te together, he will be an exciting QB, he's the same Zach we loved when he was being compared to maholmes and buddying it up with Aaron Rogers... Even the media fell in love with him, like Trevor Lawrence, Fields, etc, they are learning nobody but Mac is doing great...

The line is getting better, and if our LT comes back he will have just enuff time for him to make decisions... Did you see his improv play in the Tennessee game, when he was rookie of the week...

I mean yeah he's gotta lotta ways to go, but I still think he has it, and if he doesn't we will know soon enough... He is GREEN, and players who are green and have talent are  raw, he's not polished but not hopeless at least give him til the middle of next year to see if he is catching on...

He even showed yesterday some plays like throwing the ball away and not forcing things, so he is learning from past mistakes The normal eye on the play he was hut and fumbled wouldn't realize that in his first games early in the season that would have been a bad pass intercepted, but he pulled it down and tried to escape, but heck these front 7 defenders are quick and persistent. As they say, the other teams players get paid too. But, though the idiots of the league will now always make fun of the shovel pass in the RBs back that was a complete fluke that the D player intercepted it, this was a D that the past 2 games had 10 turnovers and I believe 7-8 were INTs yet Zak really through none to them as again the shovel pass was just a weird play. Anyhow, the kid is doing okay, and will progress. To many people expect after 8 games for the kid to be Joe Montana. He has looked just as good if not better at times than all QBs drafted this year again not name Mac Jones, which NE team could have plugged any QB in that spot this year and been doing well.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

In terms of fan sentiment, if Wilson never got injured, we'd have a million threads blaming the system, the OC, the OL, the receivers, or some combination of everything. Watching 3 backup QBs look way better operating the system than the #2 overall pick just has made it abundantly obvious that he has a lot of flaws to work through and that he was butchering the system as it was meant to be played. I think he can still do it, but it's by no means a guarantee. He has a lot of working through his issues to do.

I agree, if he spits the bit thru next Halloween, they should develop an exit strategy, but I'll rolll with him for now..

2 minutes ago, LSJF said:

Darnold we had hope which is why we have no patience with Zach...But Sam appeared clueless, Zach appears raw...

I think thats pretty accurate.  But I would really emphasize and underline the raw part, b/c unfortunately there is like an ocean of things he has to learn.  

If you compare him to Mac Jones, it’s basically like he’s behind 3 years worth of material that needs to be digested and turned into muscle memory.  And the concern is whether a modern NFL team and fans really have the patience for that.  There are a lot of lost games that have to be stomached by fans and the NY media. 

I personally would have preferred a few redshirt seasons, before giving him a ticking doomsday clock.

• Sympathy 1

I really want Zach to end up being great. We’re all overdue for it. To answer your question, I think it can be summed a bit by PTSD. The team takes QBs in the draft every few years and they never amount to anything. Sanchez, Clemens, Smith, Hack, Darnold, etc all flamed out and they were all high picks. They pass on stars and they pass on projects who become stars. We, as fans, see guys like Herbert and Burrows put up huge numbers in their first season and seem to just fit right in. Not the Jets, though. They draft Darnold who no one thought they would get but most of us wanted. We then watched as he crashed and burned. Then three years later they take the kid from BYU who rocketed ip the board because he was arguably the best true qb in the draft beside Lawrence. They weren’t going to miss again. We were shown video after video, interview after interview about this kid’s got all the makings of a star. We hear reports out of camp that he’s an unreal talent that just lights the field up. T hen comes the regular season, and Wilson looks like he’s never seen a football in his whole life (exaggeration obviously). 

The Jets have a history of raising hopes and not just dashing them, but beating them so viciously that some of us literally can’t set ourselves up for more disappointment. 

I guess, just for once, we want to see a new player come in and just take the league by its balls. Wilson, just happens to be yet another in a long line of disappointments. He may turn out to be great, he may switch the light on halfway through next year and light it up. But this is the Jets. It doesn’t happen like that for us.  

its not our fault.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

From the eye test, it does not look good.  Accuracy issues.  Issues reading the defense.  Bad decision making.  What's been good with ZW ???

He didn't have an accuracy problem in school, he's learning, he played a more controlled managing game, I hope he becomes better than that... Does he have issues reading the D? Sam clearly did, not sure about Zach, he's green, but not dumb..

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, LSJF said:

Do you really feel he has no shot to get acclimated to the pro game?

When he was drafted it was known that it took him time to adjust at every level he has played. However when he adjusted he was number two pick worthy...

He's got skills, arm strength, mobility, improvisational ability, moxie...He's kinda skinny, I hope that injuries don't become a thing...if so then it's a bust...

the game is way fast for him now, but this is what experience is about... especially in the same way he had to grow in college, he will have to master the pro game, he's a game smart dude with winning play instincts, he is green right now, deal with it... the weopanz are good enough for plays to happen, I think we will see improvement... He's forcing passes, throwing to hard, trying to do do much...it was smart of Lafleur to do runs, nothing wrong with running the ball the way we did...He will emerge maybe not  today, but which QB outside of Mac and Herbert have already...

I know we have PSTD over Darnold, I agree, but honestly he seemed super nice, but low football IQ, only with a team like N England could Sam seem competent... 

When Zach  he's  gets his sh*te together, he will be an exciting QB, he's the same Zach we loved when he was being compared to maholmes and buddying it up with Aaron Rogers... Even the media fell in love with him, like Trevor Lawrence, Fields, etc, they are learning nobody but Mac is doing great...

Not sure, but there does seem to be a higher level of just innate bias against Zach than other QBs. Maybe because right now it has a similar feel to Darnold. There are many here who would already give up on him.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

We were told to "be patient" with Sanchez, Geno and Darnold.   That's not a great indicator that patience in Wilson will result in success.  Sometimes (even most times), what you see is actually what you see.

We have to start to let the team develop and give a QB and a HC a few years. We are not going to get any QB to play lights out in one season especially young drafted ones. We have already gone the route of retreads, and very good QBs that were past their primes and those cases are not going to work for us nor do they work for other teams. As the Vikings, WFT, Lions, Panthers, etc. You have to invest in a QB and groom them since they all have the ability. In businesses out there we mentor other people and when you lead them you are more to blame if they fail then they are because most involved in business, sports, etc. have talent you just have to cultivate, but it takes time and experience, especially as they are going throw these trials against great players already with so much experience.

• Upvote 3