Very timely article on Quarterback mechanics

It ain't what it used to be. 

I have seen many comments today regarding Wilson's mechanics and analyzing  those based upon decades old criteria. Read an article today (link will follow), which states that much of the old criteria of analyzing QB mechanics and ,motion is now tossed out. It is more about off-platform throws and the abilities of the QB to use the "foot pop", which was brought to the league in a large measure by Rodgers, and now others have added to it and made it even better (Zach among those). 

The Wilson Pro Day against the body throw was one subject of the article. After that throw, many added that to their showcase repertoire.

Again, I am only attaching the link here, as the article is long. If you care about such stuff, it is interesting

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/11/16/cover-story-how-the-qb-evolution-sparked-a-coaching-revolution

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

It ain't what it used to be. 

I have seen many comments today regarding Wilson's mechanics and analyzing  those based upon decades old criteria. Read an article today (link will follow), which states that much of the old criteria of analyzing QB mechanics and ,motion is now tossed out. It is more about off-platform throws and the abilities of the QB to use the "foot pop", which was brought to the league in a large measure by Rodgers, and now others have added to it and made it even better (Zach among those). 

The Wilson Pro Day against the body throw was one subject of the article. After that throw, many added that to their showcase repertoire.

Again, I am only attaching the link here, as the article is long. If you care about such stuff, it is interesting

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/11/16/cover-story-how-the-qb-evolution-sparked-a-coaching-revolution

Zach’s mechanics are perfect. His issues right now are ball placement/touch. 

Lost my interest when he starts going into the theory of evolution, lol but I get the point the author was trying to make.  That said, I dont think using the examples of Mahomes/Rodgers/Jackson as how the position is evolved is really the strongest way to support the overall hypothesis but I digress. 

The article seems more focused on the "throwing motion" and the associated footwork and delivery, etc.  IMO, mechanics are more involved and I guess there is a fine line between mechanics and fundamentals.  For example, Zach looks great throwing the ball, his delivery is beautiful, fast and tight.  But his footwork is a mess and it's particularly bad when it comes to his drop backs.  Is that mechanics or fundamentals?   I kind of lop them altogether when I criticize them, fwiw.

• Upvote 1

it seems to me the mechanics don't matter much if the guy can throw the ball and be accurate.  as for the comment about qb ratings being so higher now than 20 years ago maybe it's because the defensive backs are forever being limited by the rules and the brady rules designed to keep the qb from getting hurt.  as for the foot pop, look at some namath college film and you'll see a guy who could jump in the air and still deliver a missile.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Lost my interest when he starts going into the theory of evolution, lol but I get the point the author was trying to make.  That said, I dont think using the examples of Mahomes/Rodgers/Jackson as how the position is evolved is really the strongest way to support the overall hypothesis but I digress. 

The article seems more focused on the "throwing motion" and the associated footwork and delivery, etc.  IMO, mechanics are more involved and I guess there is a fine line between mechanics and fundamentals.  For example, Zach looks great throwing the ball, his delivery is beautiful, fast and tight.  But his footwork is a mess and it's particularly bad when it comes to his drop backs.  Is that mechanics or fundamentals?   I kind of lop them altogether when I criticize them, fwiw.

This was not directed at you. BUT, the discussion of fundamentals is largely convoluted. Yes, the 5 step drop and fire still has basic fundamental mechanics to it. But that is a much smaller piece of what QBs actually do today