The All Things Zach Wilson Thread: MERGED

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Bro, you said people who say now they'd take Mac Jones over those other guys are guilty of hindsight analysis. It's pretty relevant to point out that I rated Jones ahead of all of them except Lawrence before the draft. I thought we were having a discussion. But I understand that you think you found a loose string to pull on to get out of the underlying argument.

Not trying to get out of anything.  I'm agreeing with you.  You beat them all.  All the GMs who took 4 QBs before Mac.  All the commentators who said Mac was the fifth QB out of 5. And now that Mac's career is over and he's in the HOF, you've...WON! 

Congrats!!  Why can't you just accept your spot in the Internet Ring of Honor.  Because the story has been written.  And to think your entire GMing career, your livelihood, was based on that pick.  You took SOME risk with that contrarian pick.  

Well done.  

8 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

hey, we all cant be right 6 games in on the interwebz, some of us have to take what we can get

Dude, Mac Jones is already in the HOF.  It was clearly a BRILLIANT pick.  Ddidn't matter which team took him--I mean NE with the coach and the OC and the defense and the cheating does not factor into his success at all--HE was the best QB in the draft.  Clearly.  Now.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Not trying to get out of anything.  I'm agreeing with you.  You beat them all.  All the GMs who took 4 QBs before Mac.  All the commentators who said Mac was the fifth QB out of 5. And now that Mac's career is over and he's in the HOF, you've...WON! 

Congrats!!  Why can't you just accept your spot in the Internet Ring of Honor.  Because the story has been written.  And to think your entire GMing career, your livelihood, was based on that pick.  You took SOME risk with that contrarian pick.  

Well done.  

Wow. And another one spins off into la la land...

Just now, Peace Frog said:

Dude, Mac Jones is already in the HOF.  It was clearly a BRILLIANT pick.  Ddidn't matter which team took him--I mean NE with the coach and the OC and the defense and the cheating does not factor into his success at all--HE was the best QB in the draft.  Clearly.  Now.  

Don't go full Nico, P.F.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m aware that @Larz is a mountain of a man, indeed. However, truth and justice are worth dying for. Jamal Adams sucks.

Challenge him to a battle of wits. Drag him down to your level of stupidity and beat him with experience. :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

you keep being you bud, youre the best

Another one who thinks they found a loose string to get out of the actual discussion. Let me know when you're interested to talk football again. Otherwise, happy to wait for your next take that needs a logical or factual beatdown. :) 

Certain things grab my attention that are relatively dumb and inconsequential.  One of the things in this thread that has done that is the term bust and exactly how many good QBs are in the NFL.  I think a good number for “good” QBs is around 15 or roughly half the league:

That said, there have been 33 1st round QBs taken over the last 10 drafts.  So in a round about way, over the course of a decade, it’s reasonable to say that about 50% of 1st round QBs don’t live up to expectations.

Then take into account that the current list of top 15 or so consists of approximately 6 or so non 1st td QBs, it’s reasonable to say that about 1/3, maybe a bit more, live up to 1st round expectations.

That doesn’t really mean anything other than maybe the failed 1st round QBs aren’t busts, the statistics say the ones that are successful are the anomaly.

That doesn’t change anything, I just think it’s interesting and had never looked up just exactly how many QBs wash out.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

Another one who thinks they found a loose string to get out of the actual discussion. Let me know when you're interested to talk football again. Otherwise, happy to wait for your next take that needs a logical or factual beatdown. :) 

lol, ive been talking football, you disagree with my assessment, thats what message boards are for. You have brought up this real fan thing a million times, I have never once said it, nor have I read it once. But like I said bud, you be you, youre awesome just the way you are, and you are almost always right too, or should I say always right, is that better?

1 minute ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

lol, ive been talking football, you disagree with my assessment, thats what message boards are for. You have brought up this real fan thing a million times, I have never once said it, nor have I read it once. But like I said bud, you be you, youre awesome just the way you are, and you are almost always right too, or should I say always right, is that better?

Breathe. This isn't a race.

Just now, jgb said:

Like I said, when you get a breather, let me know when you're reading to talk about the team and not me. Have to run, but feel free to keep screaming into the void if it helps!

ok, I look forward to your next 1,345,234,123 posts telling everyone about how bad Zach sucks and how you are the best QB projector on the planet. Enjoy

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

Our fan based roots against players all of the time. While I don't have time to trudge through the posts, consider the:

He is a Bust; we should never draft a QB in top of 1st, If JD picked him, he sucks, Fields is better - all before a single snap. Many look for any excuse to call him terrible - some will kill him for a few INTs and then root for White to get a shot after a 4 INT game. See the reaction to the comparison of his stats against the stats of Mac Jones against same 4 teams.

We also get the player is soft if they are hurt; Becton is a fat lazy pig on toothpicks; Carter is too short; they cast shade on anyone because JD drafted them and they don't like JD or they didn't want that player over another. They may not openly root against the player, but they take any chance to knock him and aren't objective.

As for supporting Zack with those numbers, the loud fans on this site will never be happy. If he had those stats they would talk about the win. If he wins, they talk about it wasn't his win; when we loose and there is one bad pass, he is the worst. Last week Zack sucked, but got the win, and yet the boo-birds were out; people called for White to start, etc.

Nothing you're suggesting is "rooting against" Zach.  It's expressing frustration and disappointment with him.  Again, those are different things.  It's also not rooting against Zach to think another player may be better than him.  Also, the Mac Jones comparison is limited and somewhat intellectually dishonest because it compares a very thin number of items, even including a Wilson rushing TD without acknowledging it as such.  Pointing this out is also not "rooting against" Zach, it's injecting reality into the discussion.  You can root for something without being optimistic it will happen.  If I buy a Mega Millions ticket, I'm not rooting for the loss because I don't think my numbers will hit.  I'm being hopeful, but realistic.

As for the statement about fans never being happy - I hear that a lot.  Here's what I think.  Why don't we wait and see what people do when we actually get good QB play.  Lets see if people are upset by it.  The team had 2 wins last year, they've got 3 this year.  It's hard to get a read on what people will feel if they get 11-12 wins when we're no where close to that.  Jets fans will never be satisfied is a silly thing to say when the team has given us no opportunity for satisfaction.

And yes, we won.  But, some people, myself included, are more interested in good play.  Good play will lead to more wins.  Bad play will lead to more losses.  It's a rare instance that bad play leads to wins, and, outside of a playoff game, or in a competitive season, it's not something a lot of us will celebrate.  This year, I'd take good play and a loss over bad play and a win every single week.  I don't think that's not being satisfied, I think that's looking at the big picture.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

He didn't look too comfy vs. Houston.  Have there been any reports on how his knee is feeling?  At one point I thought he reinjured it.

I doubt there is a single player that doesn't have something nagging them at this point in the year

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, David Harris said:

Aaron Rodgers has been lighting it up with COVID toe.

Baker Mayfield isn’t playing well but he’s showing he’s tough as nails.

Suck it up buttercup. No excuses.

That TD wasn't him sucking it up?

I don't think I've heard him complain about the knee, just a random poster on a Jets fan forum asking a question.  

Btw, both Rogers and Baker have repeatedly mentioned their ailments, making excuses.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, slats said:

They didn’t work on the knee when he came off the field looking gimpy, they just talked to him and he went right back in the game. Like everything else with Zach, it was probably mental. 

It is this, they said wilson needed to hear from the drs that his knee was ok.