The All Things Zach Wilson Thread: MERGED

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

Those whitewalls!  V8 , huge engine.  6 MPG?  :)

IIRC, about 18 on the highway, 10 in town. A monster gas tank - people would look around as they heard that gas pump bell keep going off - ding, ding ding, ding .... 472 cubic inch/7/7 litre engine. 4500 lbs. One night, someone rear ended me in NJ at a stop sign in a snowstorm: the poor guy came down the hill behind me, trying to warn me to get out of the way by beeping the horn and flashing his lights, but I had no where to go. Slammed into me, and I'm thinking, I don't have a job, I have liability only insurance, and I can't afford taillights, etc. Boom. I move six inches. We get out of the cars, my car has some scratches in the chrome plated bumpers, his small sedan looked like he had hit an overhead subway stanchion. Fluids leaking everywhere. He just looks at the cars and me and says, "well, I guess you don't need to see my insurance card."

• Sympathy 1

On 11/28/2021 at 9:31 AM, The Crusher said:

With 5 kids,  at one time we were a two Chevy Suburban family. Literally packed them both with people and gear going to beach or camping. I love the empty  nester lifestyle we have earned, just starting the grandparents stage. Yay, now my wife has a nice mid size sedan and I have a truck to haul my fat ass. 

We had 2 Suburbans back to back.  Most utility of any car I've ever had.  So much room, used to put one of the seats down and it was like a gym back there for the kids.  [All buckled in]

All the people who have defended Zach are basically saying the same thing. He has only played about 6 games. I understand there is a big jump from college to the NFL but we are seeing the other rookies starting to settle in. Both Michael Carter's, Moore, AVT, even Echoles before he was hurt was showing improvement. Has Zach fixed anything? I think yesterday he made a real effort to play within the offensive system but what we saw is he wasn't really that good at it. More so his receivers bailed him out on some of the short passes by catching the low pass or ball thrown behind them rather than Zach making well timed and placed passes. So do we just give Zach a pass on the rest of the season? I know some are not giving him a pass at all and I don't  think there is a QB in this coming draft class that is worth giving Zach the Rosen treatment, but even as bad a Peyton was in his first season, it was just the massive amount of picks. You could see the other great attributes.  I just don't see it with Zach. Actually every game I see a new issue. This game was the first one I saw he had no touch on some short ones. How long until the light goes on. It already has for the other rookies.

Edit for Maxman

Yes, I know we won. That doesn't  mean our QB is taking the same steps forward the other rookies are.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2

12 games will be a fair evaluation. That is what he will have when the season ends and he stays healthy/doesn't get benched. 

I think at that point we will know what we have to do in the offseason with QB. Are we cutting him? Of course not, but an actual QB competition in 22 may be in order. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

before he was hurt was showing improvement. Has Zach fixed anything? I think yesterday he made a real effort to play within the offensive system but what we saw is he wasn't really that good at it.

i said this in length on another thread so i wont go into it but to say your right. 

he is not check down charlie. kid didnt attempt a pass over 20 or so yds. 

he gets these last 6 games no matter what. sorry to the Mike White fan club.

if the kid is going to go down then let him be who he is. 

whats going to happen is Phila will watch this tape and do what Buffalo did to Mike White and take away the short pass. and it will be a disaster next week. he has to get back to throwing some deep balls. its who he is.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s 19 starts. If Wilson sucks after 19 starts, you bench him or soft-IR him to save your own job. Anything longer than that, and you end up tanking your own career as a HC because it looks like you put the player over the team. 

That’s a pretty arbitrary hard number, lol, but I agree in general with the sentiment. He’ll spend the entire offseason as the incumbent starting QB, and start next season in that role. They might want to bring in a different/better backup in the offseason on the off chance they look to make a change. Will definitely want to see some improvement over the rest of the year, and a jump next year. But I don’t know when they’ll bail on him. Josh Allen sucked for two full seasons. 

• Upvote 2

All of these threads and replies asking if they should start White and/or draft a new QB are beyond the perceived stupidity of this fanbase from outsiders.  Our rookie qb is learning everyday as is our rookie coaching staff.  They fell behind on the road yesterday against a professional NFL team who had just beaten the #1 seed in the AFC.

Rather than fold the team managed the game, found a gameplan they saw an advantage with and won the game. To me the lesson for Zach is you do not have to play hero ball and to let the game come to you.  Was I pleased with some of the throws ? Of course not but I am much more looking at the mental side of the game for him and how he responds to adversity.  Rather than piss and moan like half this board he said the right things and knows where he needs to get better.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

I was psych'd when we drafted him and will give him this year, but I see signs that he has not progressed in the area's I expected. I can't believe how inaccurate he is with short passes, and most routes. There have been wow throws, but there have been a lot of bad wow throws also. I'm as optimistic as the rest when it comes to those who support him, but I'll be the first to admit, it's not looking great right now. I'm not sure what it is, but this does not look like the same guy in OTA's, Training Camp, or preseason. I've only got to believe it's in his head at this time, because he wasn't this erratic then. 

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Are you insinuating the learning curve for a Rookie QB and other positions are similar?  Kind of seems that way.

Not everything is concrete.  There is no time frame that says, well by his 500th pass attempt, if he’s not good it’s time to cut bait.  People develop at different rates.  Start at different starting points.  He shouldn’t “get a pass” for anything.  He also shouldn’t be written off as a failure either.  It’s not that hard.  

I’d ask this to anyone who thinks they have a firm grasp on what Wilson is now and into the future.  What purpose does it serve to be so definitive so early?  Does it give you hope?  Does it hide your disappointment?  I truly don’t get it.

First off, WR is one of the most difficult  positions to transition to and Moore seems to have done it. AVT is playing a OL scheme he has never seen before. None of the OL have and he is looking very good. Zach is having problems with the basics. Yes, every so often the kid makes a play and some really good throws but it's like maybe 50% of his passes you are saying what is wrong with him. Even the short pass to Barrios where he had the long RAC, it was a low pass. 

15 minutes ago, doitny said:

i said this in length on another thread so i wont go into it but to say your right. 

he is not check down charlie. kid didnt attempt a pass over 20 or so yds. 

he gets these last 6 games no matter what. sorry to the Mike White fan club.

if the kid is going to go down then let him be who he is. 

whats going to happen is Phila will watch this tape and do what Buffalo did to Mike White and take away the short pass. and it will be a disaster next week. he has to get back to throwing some deep balls. its who he is.  

I don't think that will happen. They can't  play that game. The Bills didn't  respect White to throw deep but everyone knows Zach has a live arm

12 minutes ago, slats said:

That’s a pretty arbitrary hard number, lol, but I agree in general with the sentiment. He’ll spend the entire offseason as the incumbent starting QB, and start next season in that role. They might want to bring in a different/better backup in the offseason on the off chance they look to make a change. Will definitely want to see some improvement over the rest of the year, and a jump next year. But I don’t know when they’ll bail on him. Josh Allen sucked for two full seasons. 

Maybe he is the "incumbent starter" but I think the Front Office and Coaching staff will be a little more antsy in 2022. Alot more is expected of that team in the win loss department with all their picks and another FA offseason. 

I tend to think if Zach plays badly down the stretch they find a serviceable mid aged QB who gives Zach a real camp competition. I don't think they will ride or die with him in 2022. If he does start week 1 and doesn't make progress I could see a hook around week 4-5. It be sad, because we be in serious bust discussion but the Jets want to win next year imo.  

• Upvote 1

As far as time goes, I'll defer to Bill Walsh who always said 25 games is the measuring stick, that at that point you know if the guy is going to be good or not.  In that scenario, we are 25% there, and the results are not good. The next 6 games are huge, as you then have a much better sample size. I am not worried right now, but rather frustrated in that I didn't see any change in Zach upon his return. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, OMA said:

All of these threads and replies asking if they should start White and/or draft a new QB are beyond the perceived stupidity of this fanbase from outsiders.  Our rookie qb is learning everyday as is our rookie coaching staff.  They fell behind on the road yesterday against a professional NFL team who had just beaten the #1 seed in the AFC.

Rather than fold the team managed the game, found a gameplan they saw an advantage with and won the game. To me the lesson for Zach is you do not have to play hero ball and to let the game come to you.  Was I pleased with some of the throws ? Of course not but I am much more looking at the mental side of the game for him and how he responds to adversity.  Rather than piss and moan like half this board he said the right things and knows where he needs to get better.  

This is a rediculous  post. The Texans were begging the Jets to beat them. Tyrod Taylor is not a quality  NFL QB. They have one of the worst run defenses in the league. It was almost comical. The Jets ran the same sweep play all game and I think they stopped it once. They made a practice squad player look like Marcus Allen. You think this was a challenge? GB would have scored 50+ on them. I'll take the win but I know what I saw yesterday.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wilson’s biggest problem is that Mike White and Josh Johnson came in and showed the world (and his own locker room) that the big issue strangling the Jets is Zach Wilson. 

What the eff happened to that player we all watched in those pre-season games making all the throws, amazing talent then to watch what he has become a few short weeks later is startlingly (<---is this a word?) different

47 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

All the people who have defended Zach are basically saying the same thing. He has only played about 6 games. I understand there is a big jump from college to the NFL but we are seeing the other rookies starting to settle in. Both Michael Carter's, Moore, AVT, even Echoles before he was hurt was showing improvement. Has Zach fixed anything? I think yesterday he made a real effort to play within the offensive system but what we saw is he wasn't really that good at it. More so his receivers bailed him out on some of the short passes by catching the low pass or ball thrown behind them rather than Zach making well timed and placed passes. So do we just give Zach a pass on the rest of the season? I know some are not giving him a pass at all and I don't  think there is a QB in this coming draft class that is worth giving Zach the Rosen treatment, but even as bad a Peyton was in his first season, it was just the massive amount of picks. You could see the other great attributes.  I just don't see it with Zach. Actually every game I see a new issue. This game was the first one I saw he had no touch on some short ones. How long until the light goes on. It already has for the other rookies.

Edit for Maxman

Yes, I know we won. That doesn't  mean our QB is taking the same steps forward the other rookies are.

Obviously, QB is a much tougher position so it's not all that helpful to compare him to the other rookies.  I am not saying I'm not discouraged.  I'm just not sure how relevant the progress of the non-QB rookies is.

• Upvote 2