Jump to content

From out of Nowhere; Did Joe Douglas Poach Defensive Starter From his old Boss?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

douglas seems to be very good at evaluating younger players.  you gotta be impressed with the many late round draft picks and udfa's he's pulled in.

This just isnt true.  If he keeps bringing in talent via the draft and free agency, he will get to choose another qb if zach fails. You dont fire a talented gm who has stacked ur roster because 1

Create a ***Extend Joe Douglas*** thread?

Posted Images

Douglas only has 1 issue... Zach Wilson....if he hits, Douglas will be here for a long time...if he flops he will be gone.

I think Douglas has done pretty well in everything outside of drafting in the middle rounds, which lets be honest is a crapshoot of all crapshoots.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

John Franklin Myers

Huff

Guidry

Lamar Jackson

Dunn

Quincy Williams

Hamiclar Rahshad

Ty Johnson

Amendola

and now Riley

All castoffs or udfa(s) and have contributed. Arguably part of this team's future moving forward

Pretty impressive

Am I forgetting anyone? 

 

It's impressive but I'm also wondering if these guys look good because we have no other options?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

It's impressive but I'm also wondering if these guys look good because we have no other options?

I see your point, however if these named players were not a possible part of the future I think Douglas cuts bait with them. One of the many qualities I like about Douglas is that he is not afraid to admit fault publicly (Robbie Anderson although I was fine with not signing him) and privately (when we as fans try to figure out why moves are made). Most recently, I (along with other fans maybe) were shocked that Perine did not play Sunday for an unknown PS player in Austin Walters. Perine not playing leads me to believe that Douglas has cut bait with him rather than forcing him in the line up when Douglas believes he is not worthy. GMs are not usually this humble to admit failure. I think its a successful characteristic 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Not quite sure he definitely is gone if Zak become a miss if he shows he has built the whole rest of the team and gets some QB to run the team and start getting wins more consistently. Everyone knows picking QBs in the draft has very high risk potential.

I agree 100%.  If you can get all the other holes filled (or most of them) and the team is competing and showing wins... yeah, he might not be soley tied to Zach (if it doesnt work out). 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barton said:

The defense is not far off from being good to very good. Just needs an electric passrusher or two.

Getting 2 electric pass rushers in here should be a piece of cake.  I mean, look at how many this franchise has had since John Abraham.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Getting 2 electric pass rushers in here should be a piece of cake.  I mean, look at how many this franchise has had since John Abraham.

Considering that currently there are 3 prospects worthy in the top 10 makes our odds pretty good if we want. Hopefully we already have 1 in Lawson. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This just isnt true.  If he keeps bringing in talent via the draft and free agency, he will get to choose another qb if zach fails.

You dont fire a talented gm who has stacked ur roster because 1 qb didnt pan out.

If Zach flops next year and the jets again win like 4 games...he will be on the hot seat big time.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Getting 2 electric pass rushers in here should be a piece of cake.  I mean, look at how many this franchise has had since John Abraham.

Sign me up for two more pass rushers. Saleh likes to rotate his line to keep them fresh and having fresh pass rushers on the field at all times is only going to solidify this defense. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rangerous said:

douglas seems to be very good at evaluating younger players.  you gotta be impressed with the many late round draft picks and udfa's he's pulled in.

Yep, lots of late round contributors. 

 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Getting 2 electric pass rushers in here should be a piece of cake.  I mean, look at how many this franchise has had since John Abraham.

And how many premium picks has this franchise used on edge rushers since Abraham? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Aaron Donald was picked 13th overall.

Mmmk. Not sure how this is relevant to my question. (13th overall is a premium pick, but Donald is not an edge rusher and the rams are not the Jets . . . )

I'll repeat: How many premium picks has this franchise used on an edge rusher since Abraham? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Mmmk. Not sure how this is relevant to my question. (13th overall is a premium pick, but Donald is not an edge rusher and the rams are not the Jets . . . )

I'll repeat: How many premium picks has this franchise used on an edge rusher since Abraham? 

First off, he said "Just needs an electric passrusher or two." (not necessarily edge)

Second, maybe part of the difficultly getting these types of players is that there aren't that many of them out there, they're difficult to identify, etc.  All of that is part of the equation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Douglas only has 1 issue... Zach Wilson....if he hits, Douglas will be here for a long time...if he flops he will be gone.

I think Douglas has done pretty well in everything outside of drafting in the middle rounds, which lets be honest is a crapshoot of all crapshoots.

I disagree. If Wilson sucks but the roster is solid, JD should keep his job. He can still find a QB later. The buck doesn’t stop with Wilson. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

First off, he said "Just needs an electric passrusher or two." (not necessarily edge)

Second, maybe part of the difficultly getting these types of players is that there aren't that many of them out there, they're difficult to identify, etc.  All of that is part of the equation.

Right - I said edge . . . because we need an edge. (and have basically needed one since Abraham left two decades ago)

Fortunately, this draft has a few very talented edge rushers. Aidan Hutchinson looks like a realistic target based on where we could be picking, but we'll see. 

Also, since you brought up Donald, QW actually has as many sacks as he does right now, so hopefully QW continues to improve and impact games. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jethead said:

Safety play has been much better the last two games. Jets lack of depth was exposed by early season injuries.

"Step by step, inch by inch..."

Can that be called progress? Is that allowed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

It's impressive but I'm also wondering if these guys look good because we have no other options?

Big improvement over Macc and Idzik who couldn’t even find guys to contribute on the least-skilled team in the league with holes everywhere.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Yes, because John Franklin Meyers, Quinnen, Quincey, Michael Carter II and Bryce Hall have all crapped the bed each week. Got it

give it time

Saleh is not their first coach

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...