From out of Nowhere; Did Joe Douglas Poach Defensive Starter From his old Boss?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

douglas seems to be very good at evaluating younger players.  you gotta be impressed with the many late round draft picks and udfa's he's pulled in.

This just isnt true.  If he keeps bringing in talent via the draft and free agency, he will get to choose another qb if zach fails. You dont fire a talented gm who has stacked ur roster because 1

Create a ***Extend Joe Douglas*** thread?

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Mmmk. Not sure how this is relevant to my question. (13th overall is a premium pick, but Donald is not an edge rusher and the rams are not the Jets . . . )

I'll repeat: How many premium picks has this franchise used on an edge rusher since Abraham? 

gholston?  adams?  i get your point.  i'm not sure if you can point to a particular player and say he's gonna be a great pass rusher.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

gholston?  adams?  i get your point.  i'm not sure if you can point to a particular player and say he's gonna be a great pass rusher.

Oh, definitely agree on the bolded. 

I just think it's time to use a 1st round pick on another edge. Been way too long. 

Also . . . Adams? 

49 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The way he has "coached down" Carter II, Echols, and Quincy Williams?

You broke the record for quickest to my ignore list.

gee there goes my last feeling....

It will be hard but somehow I will manage to survive in a world without the wonderful contribution you add to this world... 

gonna rank you right there with anal warts...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5
1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

First off, he said "Just needs an electric passrusher or two." (not necessarily edge)

Second, maybe part of the difficultly getting these types of players is that there aren't that many of them out there, they're difficult to identify, etc.  All of that is part of the equation.

Absolutely!  Which is why I don't understand why resources are not given every year until you find them.  

If you draft a guy in the top ten one year, take a flyer on a late 4th/5th rounder the next year, just in case.  Then, the following year, draft a guy in the 3rd.  Keep drafting them.  At best, you will have depth at the most important defensive position in the modern game: the guy who can get to the QB.  At worst, you have trade chips for draft picks.  

3 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Absolutely!  Which is why I don't understand why resources are not given every year until you find them.  

If you draft a guy in the top ten one year, take a flyer on a late 4th/5th rounder the next year, just in case.  Then, the following year, draft a guy in the 3rd.  Keep drafting them.  At best, you will have depth at the most important defensive position in the modern game: the guy who can get to the QB.  At worst, you have trade chips for draft picks.  

Jachai Polite, Jabari Zuniga.

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

So the Jets may have plucked a starting Safety off a practice squad?  They didn't have to trade two 1st round picks, a 3rd and a player to snag a guy at the NFL's most premiere defensive position?

I see what you did there

Happy Saturday Night Live GIF

• Haha 3

I know it was in the article but wanted to give Emory Hunt props on this one again.  Hadn't heard a single word about this kid even when the Jets signed him and Emory comes on the pod and just throws in his .02 and says this guy is a player who could take on a starting role pretty quickly and that's exactly how it played out.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, sciond said:

gee there goes my last feeling....

It will be hard but somehow I will manage to survive in a world without the wonderful contribution you add to this world... 

gonna rank you right there with anal warts...

Nobody is surprised that you've got a basis for that comparison

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Not disagreeing but you do also need to quantify the opportunity cost.

5 hours ago, DjHoldyHold said:

We are better at pulling in UDFAs than picking between rounds 4-7

To be fair there are many more UDFAs than in those rounds. I’d wager handsomely the hit rate is materially better in the draft’s late rounds.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Not disagreeing but you do also need to quantify the opportunity cost.

I think it is a position you keep drafting until you find a stud, and then continually upgrade a 'part B.'  You will NEVER lose in a deal if you keep growing talent at that position on the side of the ball.  I feel the same about QB's as well.

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

I think it is a position you keep drafting until you find a stud, and then continually upgrade a 'part B.'  You will NEVER lose in a deal if you keep growing talent at that position on the side of the ball.  I feel the same about QB's as well.

Like I said I agree with the premise just pointing out an important consideration 

28 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I think EDGE is the most overrated position in football. 

30 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

How many picks do you have this year?  What are your glaring weaknesses?  Can they be filled in the Draft?  Do you need to stock up bodies or shoot for the moon with possibility?  What type of player- athletes or tacticians? You can't just say 'We'll take a this here and a that there" every year.  Too many variables.  Especially with a franchise like the Jets that never keeps draft picks and has to continually fill in from FA.  So, this rebuild is first to get the base of the team built so that there is a solid contingent of home-grown Jets at all levels, PS to Starter.  Then, each year you can use FA to pick and choose the few impact players you need to boost the team.  The draft can be used to grab the athletes that fit the scheme and can grow into it instead of being thrown to the wolves year 1 as they were.  The top draft picks are picked because they are plug and play starters and any late round or UDFA stars that blossom are just cherries.  The rest of the draftees learn and earn a spot.  Boom  what's that word?  Oh yeah, Winning!

32 minutes ago, Origen said:

How many picks do you have this year?  What are your glaring weaknesses?  Can they be filled in the Draft?  Do you need to stock up bodies or shoot for the moon with possibility?  What type of player- athletes or tacticians? You can't just say 'We'll take a this here and a that there" every year.  Too many variables.  Especially with a franchise like the Jets that never keeps draft picks and has to continually fill in from FA.  So, this rebuild is first to get the base of the team built so that there is a solid contingent of home-grown Jets at all levels, PS to Starter.  Then, each year you can use FA to pick and choose the few impact players you need to boost the team.  The draft can be used to grab the athletes that fit the scheme and can grow into it instead of being thrown to the wolves year 1 as they were.  The top draft picks are picked because they are plug and play starters and any late round or UDFA stars that blossom are just cherries.  The rest of the draftees learn and earn a spot.  Boom  what's that word?  Oh yeah, Winning!

Nowhere am I suggesting you don't pick to help depth and need.  What I am suggesting is you don't succeed in defense in 2021 without getting to the QB, and you don't succeed on offense without a QB.  Period.  Resources should be continually spent on them.  That does not mean you have to take a person who can get to the QB every year high in the draft.  You may not even have to spend draft resources.  That is what UDFA signings are for.  

46 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think EDGE is the most overrated position in football. 

Then I guess we can agree to disagree, because you don't have a defence if you don't get to the QB.  Whether it an edge, an OLB, an ILB, or a DL who can continually wreak havoc. 

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Jachai Polite, Jabari Zuniga.

Thanks for proving my point Tuscany as to why you constantly spend resources.                                                   Is that what you meant, or just taking a dump?

When they signed him, I described Riley as not long and not fast, but other than that he is great.  I think he has fit that description quite well.   He has looked pretty good to me.  Hopefully he keeps it up.  He's the kind of guy the fans love and GMs keep trying to upgrade with the Taylor Mays of the world. 

59 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Then I guess we can agree to disagree, because you don't have a defence if you don't get to the QB.  Whether it an edge, an OLB, an ILB, or a DL who can continually wreak havoc. 

Thanks for proving my point Tuscany as to why you constantly spend resources.                                                   Is that what you meant, or just taking a dump?

How Bout Both GIF by Joey Bada$$

8 hours ago, DjHoldyHold said:

We are better at pulling in UDFAs than picking between rounds 4-7

This year he drafted Michael Carter, Michael Carter, and Brandon Echols in those rounds. 

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Joe Douglas couldn't poach an egg.  

You picked “poached” egg as a dig?

Poaching an egg is a fine art. Do you add white vinegar? How much? Salt or no salt? Do you swirl the water? Is the water a roiling boil or just a simmer? Do you break the eggs into a ramekin first or right into the water? How long do you leave them in the bath? How do you scoop them-slotted or not? 

Most people can’t poach an egg. Everyone can scramble fry or hard boil and egg. 

But poach?!?

Dude. Get a better dig. 

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Poaching an egg is a fine art. Do you add white vinegar? How much? Salt or no salt? Do you swirl the water? Is the water a roiling boil or just a simmer? Do you break the eggs into a ramekin first or right into the water? How long do you leave them in the bath? How do you scoop them-slotted or not? 

But poach?!?

Dude. Get a better dig. 

That's great but who are the chefs?

Chefs.thumb.jpg.67426eaa24fb3d9f29a7a8375863dacc.jpg

15 hours ago, Copernicus said:

John Franklin Myers

Huff

Guidry

Lamar Jackson

Dunn

Quincy Williams

Hamiclar Rahshad

Ty Johnson

Amendola

and now Riley

All castoffs or udfa(s) and have contributed. Arguably part of this team's future moving forward

Pretty impressive

Am I forgetting anyone? 

I've said this before. Our office on pro-plaer personnel has been far more effective than our draft scouts over the years. Our linebacker corps last year was solid with Hewitt and others stepping up after mosley went down. Without some of these poached prospects we wouldn't have even had a competitive game the last few years. 

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

But poach?!?

Dude. Get a better dig. 

Tried poaching an egg for the first time a couple months ago.  Came out perfect.  Figured I'd quit while I'm ahead.  #NeverAgain