The Jets are getting better

freestater

40 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The most encouraging thing is that outside of the QB position, the offense is looking much better. You can see how it's supposed to be run. Claims that there was zero talent on the offense are unfounded. We have a ways to go, but the makings of a solid offense are there -- against the Texans for instance we ran the ball effectively with three different backs plugged in, the way you expect in this offense. We need to continue to bolster the OL and add some playmakers but there's a core of talented players here and the scheme seems to work when there's competent QB play.

The defense was solid early in the year but has been atrocious over the last several weeks. We just don't have enough talent to overcome the injuries we've sustained. We need to continue to add talent, especially in the front 7. I think 3 of the first 4 picks in the draft will likely be defense.

The biggest issue is simply that Wilson looks awful which is obviously the most pressing concern for the team on a go forward basis. If he is a bust, this regime likely won't work out, even if the team is improving elsewhere.

“Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?”

Ugh... The Patriots are getting better.  The Jets.... Well.  They are the Jets.

As far as sustained success on the filed.  Forget about it and you'll feel a lot better.

You can still be a fan and enjoy the games.  Outstanding individual performances are there to see and there are always exciting plays here and there.  I have not had tickets since 2014, but you can also have a nice time at the stadium even if they lose every single home game.  Keep expectations at zero for on-filed performance and figure on the tailgate being the apex of the day.   Also very entertaining to ignore the game state and watch a particular player or unit for a good spell.  Watching the offensive and defensive with binoculars can be super entertaining.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

We just played a team who don't care even about wins and losses because whatever the result it's all part of God's plan.

Let's play a real franchise before getting crazy. 

So you’re telling us not to jump to conclusions, to take our time and then make assessments

The irony is off the charts  

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Ugh... The Patriots are getting better.  The Jets.... Well.  They are the Jets.

As far as sustained success on the filed.  Forget about it and you'll feel a lot better.

You can still be a fan and enjoy the games.  Outstanding individual performances are there to see and there are always exciting plays here and there.  I have not had tickets since 2014, but you can also have a nice time at the stadium even if they lose every single home game.  Keep expectations at zero for on-filed performance and figure on the tailgate being the apex of the day.   Also very entertaining to ignore the game state and watch a particular player or unit for a good spell.  Watching the offensive and defensive with binoculars can be super entertaining.  

The Patriots weren’t where we are.  They had what 10 players opt out last year and they spent to fill in holes?  They had talent to begin with

• Upvote 1

This season wasn't about wins/losses because the talent wasn't there to begin with. It was about building culture and resetting the roster.

With that being said, a lot of the games we played in, we've looked horrendous so I think the jury is still out for the remainder of the season.

One big positive is that it looks like Saleh hasn't lost the locker room.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I wouldn't bet the Jets with your money on this one. i hope I am wrong. And I am usually an optimistic one.

I'm not saying we have to win, although that be a statement. But when we beat the Titans, we followed a loss with the Falcons, when we beat the Bengals we got our doors blown off by the Patriots. 

I would like to see some consistency. The Eagles are not a good football team, that said they aren't terrible either. In a home game like this I like to see the Jets keep it close and work hard. 

If they get blown out, I think it dampers the "we are getting better" narrative. That's why I say the game, not so much the result, will tell us alot. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

We just played a team who don't care even about wins and losses because whatever the result it's all part of God's plan.

Let's play a real franchise before getting crazy. 

We beat two good teams in the bengals and Tennessee (w Derrick Henry) so there’s that

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, freestater said:

As the creator of the fire Joe Douglas thread, and a completely cynical skeptic of this regime, I think its only fair to note that the Jets are getting better. The beginning of the year couldn't have started out worse. The new staff looked like a step backwards, even from Gase. While the defense has struggled as of late, the offense has gotten their feet underneath them. LDT, in limited action so far has already been marginally better than GVR especially in the run game. If he can recapture that 2019 version of himself, we may have a good long term answer at RG. 

It certainly became a blessing to have Zach sit a few games. The offense showed that it could competently execute given a signal caller making good decisions. I even think Zach was playing better as the game went on Sunday. I'm looking forward to seeing if he can build on that the next few weeks. 

Yes, and Belichick is a scumbag.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OilfieldJet said:

Wrong comment I think; we won the game.

It was in relation to the point that the most pressing issue is that Wilson looks terrible. I agree with the OP that we are getting better, but the fact that Wilson isn't progressing is the only thing that really matters at this juncture.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OilfieldJet said:

Wrong comment I think; we won the game.

Keep repeating this to make yourself feel better while we get blown out by the Eagles.

Playing bad is playing bad, even in games where you win.  And in a year where W-L record doesn't matter a whole lot, HOW we play is far more important than wins and losses.  I'd rather have seen the team play well in a shootout loss than win the way we did on Sunday.

Just now, section314 said:

It was in relation to the point that the most pressing issue is that Wilson looks terrible. I agree with the OP that we are getting better, but the fact that Wilson isn't progressing is the only thing that really matters at this juncture.

Why is he not Peyton after six games? Why why?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The most encouraging thing is that outside of the QB position, the offense is looking much better. You can see how it's supposed to be run. Claims that there was zero talent on the offense are unfounded. We have a ways to go, but the makings of a solid offense are there -- against the Texans for instance we ran the ball effectively with three different backs plugged in, the way you expect in this offense. We need to continue to bolster the OL and add some playmakers but there's a core of talented players here and the scheme seems to work when there's competent QB play.

The defense was solid early in the year but has been atrocious over the last several weeks. We just don't have enough talent to overcome the injuries we've sustained. We need to continue to add talent, especially in the front 7. I think 3 of the first 4 picks in the draft will likely be defense.

The biggest issue is simply that Wilson looks awful which is obviously the most pressing concern for the team on a go forward basis. If he is a bust, this regime likely won't work out, even if the team is improving elsewhere.

2 things: 

1) The QB did look awful or there would not have been 3-4 acting drives that were long drives as Saleh said. Awful would be having only 1-2 acting drives and 3 ints.

2) Defense has given up only around 20 points a games the last 2 weeks. Let’s see if that trend continues.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one is demanding him to look like Peyton, but it would sure be nice if he stopped looking like a worse version of Sam Darnold at some point this season.  

Ah, Sam in his 3rd year won only 2 games both at home, and Zack has already won 2 games one on the road, with 6 games to go. I know we can say we have a better O, but our D has played much worse than last year and our FG kicker looks like every kick is in 100 mph winds.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one is demanding him to look like Peyton, but it would sure be nice if he stopped looking like a worse version of Sam Darnold at some point this season.  

He will, correctable issues, mainly cause he is green, he won rookie of the week while trying to figure it out….

2 hours ago, freestater said:

As the creator of the fire Joe Douglas thread, and a completely cynical skeptic of this regime, I think its only fair to note that the Jets are getting better. The beginning of the year couldn't have started out worse. The new staff looked like a step backwards, even from Gase. While the defense has struggled as of late, the offense has gotten their feet underneath them. LDT, in limited action so far has already been marginally better than GVR especially in the run game. If he can recapture that 2019 version of himself, we may have a good long term answer at RG. 

It certainly became a blessing to have Zach sit a few games. The offense showed that it could competently execute given a signal caller making good decisions. I even think Zach was playing better as the game went on Sunday. I'm looking forward to seeing if he can build on that the next few weeks. 

I think certain pieces are playing better.

I don't know if that really equated to "the Jets" as a whole playing better, honestly.

Full evaluation pending at year end, of course, but so far the improvement is quite limited.

Now, if the D shows up and gets three TO's against the Eagles, and Zach and the passing O plays better and more consistently too, I might be more amenable to agreement on this point.

Now, after the no-account Texans gave us a real game, I'm not ready to agree just yet.