The Jets are getting better

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the creator of the fire Joe Douglas thread, and a completely cynical skeptic of this regime, I think its only fair to note that the Jets are getting better. The beginning of the year couldn't have

I do think the Jets are getting better.  I also think think that if you look at what this team was designed to look like, and the roster on the field for most of the year, 3 wins at this point is almo

If nothing else, Wilson getting hurt and having the back up QBs execute the offense so well alleviated A LOT of the doubts surrounding LaFleur and also demonstrated that the rest of the offense is cap

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

2 things: 

1) The QB did look awful or there would not have been 3-4 acting drives that were long drives as Saleh said. Awful would be having only 1-2 acting drives and 3 ints.

2) Defense has given up only around 20 points a games the last 2 weeks. Let’s see if that trend continues.

I mean, you can define awful however you want. I've watched every Zach Wilson snap this year and collectively he's been awful.

Defense was excellent in the 2nd half against an awful Texans team. I want to see more of that before I crown them, because we were horrific, like, historically bad for several games in a row. 

23 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Seriously? You really think what you do is positive? Attacking anything that isn’t massaging the particular QB you chose as “ the one” is positive? In case you didn’t know positive is not the opposite of objective. 

Being negative is no more objective than being positive when talking about an NFL player after 6 games. 

Keep putting words in my mouth, not once have I said anything other than wilson is talented needs time to develop. 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, raffyD said:

I came back to this site just to remind everyone that we have never beaten the Eagles, 0-11 I believe.

Welcome back.  

And yes, that is such a scary # and weird. Hope the streak ends on Sunday.

• Upvote 2

I think the offense is getting better. If Becton comes back and Douglas can hit on 1 or 2 mid round OL next year, the OL will be in very good shape moving forward. TE needs help and while Moore and Carter are solid, Jets need an elite threat at the skill positions. 

The defense also has some ok young talent, but outside of MAYBE Quinnen, no real difference makers. 

• Upvote 2
20 minutes ago, Uncle Nicco said:

Being negative is no more objective than being positive when talking about an NFL player after 6 games. 

Keep putting words in my mouth, not once have I said anything other than wilson is talented needs time to develop. 

VERY true... And there does not seem to be a good "teacher" on hand.  Given that alone, he may never develop.  That is not troll nonsense.  It is a pragmatic appraisal given what we have seen and continue to see

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Uncle Nicco said:

Hmmm, ok, so let’s test this objectivity thing. Does the rest of the offense play better or worse when Zach is in? 

• Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Hmmm, ok, so let’s test this objectivity thing. Does the rest of the offense play better or worse when Zach is in? 

Why is that a relevant question? Wilson aside, do you think the OL, WRs, Run game, and play calling hasn’t changed since weeks 1-3? They scored 17 points the previous two weeks, they scored 21 last week. Without our #1 WR or #1 RB. They had a great game against Tennessee and a great game against Cinci. The Colts game was a complete blow out so I don’t know what to make of that. 

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

The players care about winning.

No one argued otherwise, as any tanking is done by front offices, not the players or coaches themselves.  I'm kind of amazed this is still something people still feel the need to point out. 

However, the front office has indeed demonstrated over the course of the season, and even dating back to the summer, that they don't care about winning this year in that they've sold off assets at every turn.  Since July they've traded away Randall Cobb, Bradley Roby, Mark Ingram, and, in a trade with us, Shaq Lawson.  They've also waived several notable players I imagine they tried to trade, including Vernon Hargreaves, Phillip Lindsay and Anthony Miller.

So we beat a team (barely) whose front office is actively tanking.  Yay.  

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I do think the Jets are getting better.  I also think think that if you look at what this team was designed to look like, and the roster on the field for most of the year, 3 wins at this point is almost surprising.  Especially considering 2 of those were against playoffs teams.

People will disregard the Texans because this or that.  But bad teams gotta start somewhere.  And the best place to start is beating other bad teams.  Then start beating a few teams here and there that might be a little better than you.  Then start beating fringe playoff teams so on and so forth.

I will get huge eye rolls for this, but it’s ok.  It’s just my opinion and nothing more, I may be entirely off base.  Wins do mean something.  Especially for a young core.  Winning is habitual.  You have to develop the habits to make the small key plays that decide games.  Talent is important too, obviously, but I don’t believe any win is meaningless for young players.

Well put. I get that the Texans aren't great and the Jets have had some ugly losses. But it's not like all the wins were against bad teams. Titans were humming before they lost Henry and the Bengals are solid. Good to play well at home too.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

We just played a team who don't care even about wins and losses because whatever the result it's all part of God's plan.

Let's play a real franchise before getting crazy.

Theological analyses of game results would be interesting. I wonder how Saint Aquinas, Luther or Chesterton would think think about last Sunday’s game.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Keep repeating this to make yourself feel better while we get blown out by the Eagles.

Playing bad is playing bad, even in games where you win.  And in a year where W-L record doesn't matter a whole lot, HOW we play is far more important than wins and losses.  I'd rather have seen the team play well in a shootout loss than win the way we did on Sunday.

I agree. I've always been indifferent to win totals this year. Zach's performance is important, but he will be what he is going to be. However, there are 20 other guys on the field that we need to worry about and I am encouraged, a bit, b the performance of some of them.

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one argued otherwise, as any tanking is done by front offices, not the players or coaches themselves.  I'm kind of amazed this is still something people still feel the need to point out. 

However, the front office has indeed demonstrated over the course of the season, and even dating back to the summer, that they don't care about winning this year in that they've sold off assets at every turn.  Since July they've traded away Randall Cobb, Bradley Roby, Mark Ingram, and, in a trade with us, Shaq Lawson.  They've also waived several notable players I imagine they tried to trade, including Vernon Hargreaves, Phillip Lindsay and Anthony Miller.

The Texans won the first game of the season lol.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nicco said:

Why is that a relevant question? Wilson aside, do you think the OL, WRs, Run game, and play calling hasn’t changed since weeks 1-3? They scored 17 points the previous two weeks, they scored 21 last week. Without our #1 WR or #1 RB. They had a great game against Tennessee and a great game against Cinci. The Colts game was a complete blow out so I don’t know what to make of that. 

Ok. Thanks. Enjoy your day. 

8 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Why are you so angry? 

Seriously though why can't people learn to enjoy a good effigy burning. 

Zach will be the next QB on the pyre and the flames will be glorious!

bring-wood-and-oil.jpg.0f045397441a086c51b9ed14ff49816c.jpg

Learn to revel in the flames people.

• Haha 3
56 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The Texans won the first game of the season lol.

Over the Jaguars….And week one tends to resemble an extension of preseason. No one should ever take any results from week one too seriously.

And no one ever says that tanking works flawlessly. The Jets have failed at tanking for years. As you just said, the players and coaches are always going to try to win. But that doesn’t stop the front office from selling off assets, which the Texans have been doing all year.

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

We just played a team who don't care even about wins and losses because whatever the result it's all part of God's plan.

Let's play a real franchise before getting crazy. 

And why take a dump in the middle of the roses when you just want a momentary respite from the field of thorns?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And that doesn’t count unloading Nuk last off season and having their best player and elite QB go all Robert Kraft with shades of Weinstein.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Seriously? You really think what you do is positive? Attacking anything that isn’t massaging the particular QB you chose as “ the one” is positive? In case you didn’t know positive is not the opposite of objective. 

People who think one dude is dragging down the team are a lot more positive than those who blame every part of the organization for the struggles of that one man.

• Upvote 1