Jump to content

If both Jets picks are in the top 10


AFJF
 Share

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Barton said:

Interesting idea.......Lets say Jets are picking 4th and 7th overall. 

Would you consider giving up our 2nd rd pick to trade up for Thibodeau at #1 or #2? Jets still keep their 7th overall pick.

I would highly consider it. If Thib is the next Von Miller, it's a no brainer. Then at #7 you can take an Olineman/TE/WR or trade down.

You leave the first 2 rds with Thibs and another elite talent. 

Reminds me of 3 years ago. I was calling for the Jets to trade up for Nick Bosa. In hindsight, it would have been the right move.

Game changing talents are not easy to come by. If Thibs is 1 of those guys, you go up and grab him. 

nice idea except nobody giving you the #1 pick for just a 2nd rd pick. you would have to give up a hell of a lot more.

never happening

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it’s pretty much set in stone one of our picks will be an edge (Thibodeaux, Hutchinson, or Karlaftis). The 2nd 1st round pick could be a bit of a wild card. I would love if they could get Stingley to pair with the edge. If they go offensive lineman (again) I’d say he goes tackle before IOL (Linderbaum). If Hamilton is on the board with our pick I wouldn’t be surprised if we took him either. Adding two blue chip guys to this defense is not a bad thing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s too bad this draft doesn’t have that Jamaar Chase, CeeDee Lamb, or Justin Jefferson caliber of a WR cause that’d be a no brainer pick. This is a weird draft with not many offensive guys available. Honestly, the more I think of it Hamilton could very well be a pick for us. Go study this draft and you guys will see. Especially with the Jets needing so many defensive playmakers. 
 

if it came down to Stingley or Hamilton id obviously take the corner tho

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, slats said:

The Church of the Holy Offensive Line is, as always, piously devout on this site, but I suspect the only way they draft one in the first round for the third year in a row is if they’ve decided that Becton isn’t going to cut it. 
 
The basic philosophy of this defense is pressure first with the secondary cleaning up. They’re highly unlikely to draft CB or S in the first two rounds. 
 
Joe Douglas gets the premium positions with premium picks concept. Edge is a need. Edge looks to be well represented in this draft. He’s almost certain to take one with his first pick. 
 
After the Edge, LB is probably the closest premium/need, or maybe WR, but I don’t know how next year’s draft is shaping up yet. TE is a huge need, but I think that waits, at least, until the second round. 
 
The Edge could be such a need that he trades up for one. Could also see trading back the later first for a package that includes firsts in 2022 and 2023, if he can get it. 

Only problem is there’s no LB TE or WR worth drafting with a top pick in this draft. If you’re saying don’t draft Hamilton or Stingley who the heck we gonna draft lol? I guess it’d have to be OT Neal then. Go do research on the draft and assign player names to these picks. The more I look at it the more I think our 2nd 1st round pick will def be either Stingley or Hamilton 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don’t think we’ll ever use anything higher than a 3rd on a DB but you still have people thinking the Jets will use a top 10 pick on one, lol.  I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.  

If take  a safety in the top ten this year, no matter how good he may be, I will need a new TV and possibly some marriage counseling, 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Tankathon currently has us a Stingley and Hamilton 

01E138D7-F435-4BA2-9568-9063084E1036.png

Damn, three teams essentially controlling the top 10. If it stays this way, I would expect a lot more movement in the first round than we have seen in most recent years. Provides a lot of flexibility for those 3 teams. Historic to have 3 teams that in control of the draft.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Only problem is there’s no LB TE or WR worth drafting with a top pick in this draft. If you’re saying don’t draft Hamilton or Stingley who the heck we gonna draft lol? I guess it’d have to be OT Neal then. Go do research on the draft and assign player names to these picks. The more I look at it the more I think our 2nd 1st round pick will def be either Stingley or Hamilton 

Yeah, like I said, I haven’t looked at next year’s draft yet. I think what you’re describing is what might lead JD to try to trade the lower first back for a package that includes a 2023 first. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Tankathon currently has us a Stingley and Hamilton 

01E138D7-F435-4BA2-9568-9063084E1036.png

Can’t see Jets taking two defensive backs with our two first round picks. Also I think Texans would pick Linderbaum or any highly graded o lineman before a d lineman as there o line is pretty bad. Me personally I wouldn’t take Linderbaum that high as he is a few biscuits short of 300 pounds might be too light to play interior I can see him having trouble with a straight bull rush with someone that has 40 - 50 pounds on him. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Uncle Nicco said:

Yes the cover 3 scheme made famous be the best secondary in NFL history. The Seahawks took earl thomas in the first and gave up two firsts for Jamal. They value safety a ton in their scheme. 

They do value Safeties but that Legion of Doom D had great LB's and shut down corners as well. One of the most complete defenses alongside the Ravens of the early 2000's who had similar type players but different scheme and had a All Pro at every level Reed, Lewis, Ngata . If you have one player like that at every level like the Ravens did they make everyone around them better.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, KRL said:

If someone can assure me that Hamilton is going to be Polamalu or
Reed then I would do it, otherwise I'm passing on a safety in the
top 10.  Personally I would:

- Draft the best pass rusher with the first pick
- Draft the best OLineman with the second pick or trade down a few
selections and then consider a safety lower in the round

I think Derwin James would be the comp in today's game we'd be using.  Hamilton fits that positionless, do-everything role pretty well.  Would you spend a top-10 pick to get Derwin James (bigger, healthier version)?  Tough call.  You could look at what Mathieu did for KCs defense and say it might be worth it.  He looks like a great player, and when you look at what we tried to do with Nasirildeen and some of the other 'Safeties' we drafted last year, it could make sense to JD and RS.  If we didn't have glaring needs elsewhere, I'd be okay with it in general.

But in this draft, clearly Edge is one of those two picks.  And I'm fine with any number of things with the other pick.  Stingley, one of the top OL, or even a trade-down to grab a LB in the middle of the round since we probably need one of those as well.  I'm not sure where the TEs land in terms of value, but one of them has to be a target in the first two rounds as well.  I think if we are sitting in the 8-10 range, and Hamilton is still on the board, he isn't the worst pick in the world depending on who's left.  

Last point.  What happened with Adams has no bearing here.  Detroit wasted two top-10 picks on WRs in a row.  Went for it a third time and landed Calvin Johnson.  Every draft and every player are different.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, no way I see that happening. 

Agree no way this team targets a CB or a Safety that early unless they are nuts. We have good young corners that will develop once we get more consistent pressure on the QB. This team is in dire need of LB's and true #1 WR and a RB. That being said, I'm not sure yet what's going to be available in the draft because I really have not been following the college game but I don't fall into that "high value first round pick" bullsh*t . If you have a player available when you pick that you feel can make a huge Impact and value as a "Sure Thing" you take his ass. We also have cash to grab a few good players via FA and FWIW this team had better take the next step next year with the right additions and start challenging for a playoff spot but most of that falls on the QB whether or not they can take that next step as well

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Use one pick on an EDGE and trade down with the other? Perhaps get a 2023 1st rounder in the deal?

Without premier QBs in this draft, I seriously doubt someone would want to move up. Corral and Picketts could go 1-2, after that I don't see anyone.

Edge is a need, probably the biggest. I would look at Hutchinson, Thibodeaux or Karlaftis in that order. Neal or Ekwonu would be my next pick. I would address LB Dean, Harris or Smith in the 2nd along with a WR that has dropped.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

More than an Edge this team is in dire need of LB's and if you get the right LB like a Micah Parsons he can turn into a devistating pass rusher. I'm not one who likes targeting Edge type rushers because that always seems to be a crap shoot. LB's can create pressure as well if used in the right situations

I hear you, but Saleh’s defense is all about generating pressure with the front four. We already have nice interior rushers, but we desperately need an edge rusher (hopefully to pair with Lawson)

 

we also need another couple of LBs, regardless. Hopefully one in FA and one in the draft 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Without premier QBs in this draft, I seriously doubt someone would want to move up. Corral and Picketts could go 1-2, after that I don't see anyone.

Edge is a need, probably the biggest. I would look at Hutchinson, Thibodeaux or Karlaftis in that order. Neal or Ekwonu would be my next pick. I would address LB Dean, Harris or Smith in the 2nd along with a WR that has dropped.

 

Nice post, finally someone who assigns actually names to our picks instead of “don’t draft a safety or corner!”. People don’t realize this draft doesn’t consist of any offensive playmakers at the top of the draft. Douglas is gonna take the best player available not just some position 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Agree no way this team targets a CB or a Safety that early unless they are nuts. We have good young corners that will develop once we get more consistent pressure on the QB. This team is in dire need of LB's and true #1 WR and a RB. That being said, I'm not sure yet what's going to be available in the draft because I really have not been following the college game but I don't fall into that "high value first round pick" bullsh*t . If you have a player available when you pick that you feel can make a huge Impact and value as a "Sure Thing" you take his ass. We also have cash to grab a few good players via FA and FWIW this team had better take the next step next year with the right additions and start challenging for a playoff spot but most of that falls on the QB whether or not they can take that next step as well

Taking premium positions with premium picks is not bull****. It’s a necessity. You just don’t take RBs or Safeties or Guards that high. I’d consider a TE, but only if that TE appears to be a true #1 WR type like Pitts. The reason you don’t take those other positions is because they’re easily replaceable. Up that high, it’s QB, Edge, LT, WR, and maybe a man CB or beast M/SLB. This draft should give them that Edge. LB and WR would be the other premium needs, but this draft doesn’t look like it’s going to have those positions in the top ten. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Damn, three teams essentially controlling the top 10. If it stays this way, I would expect a lot more movement in the first round than we have seen in most recent years. Provides a lot of flexibility for those 3 teams. Historic to have 3 teams that in control of the draft.

Yeah, I suspect Watson will be moved by then too....you'll have 4 teams possibly with 8 of the top 10 or 15

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

6 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Without premier QBs in this draft, I seriously doubt someone would want to move up. Corral and Picketts could go 1-2, after that I don't see anyone.

Edge is a need, probably the biggest. I would look at Hutchinson, Thibodeaux or Karlaftis in that order. Neal or Ekwonu would be my next pick. I would address LB Dean, Harris or Smith in the 2nd along with a WR that has dropped.

 

This is often said but QBs have a way of rising up boards as the draft approaches and teams have a way of falling in love.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, doitny said:

nice idea except nobody giving you the #1 pick for just a 2nd rd pick. you would have to give up a hell of a lot more.

never happening

Macc traded three 2nds to move from #6 to #3 and almost everyone believed that was a coup. You're right, it would cost a ton more.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

 

This is often said but QBs have a way of rising up boards as the draft approaches and teams have a way of falling in love.

Ridder is the only QB I could see moving up in the draft, but he has serious accuracy issues. If Cincinnati makes the CFP, it could be a perfect time to showcase his talent. Howell took a step back, Rattler is transferring so not coming out, Willis is a turnover machine and Strong plays for Nevada. While some of them could move in the 1st round, I seriously doubt someone will move into the 1st 5 picks to take one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Ridder is the only QB I could see moving up in the draft, but he has serious accuracy issues. If Cincinnati makes the CFP, it could be a perfect time to showcase his talent. Howell took a step back, Rattler is transferring so not coming out, Willis is a turnover machine and Strong plays for Nevada. While some of them could move in the 1st round, I seriously doubt someone will move into the 1st 5 picks to take one.

There have been years like that but they are the minority

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...