If both Jets picks are in the top 10

AFJF

6 hours ago, slats said:

You don’t spend a first round pick on a short yardage back, though. You build the line and hand it to your UDFA, 240lb FB. 

when did I say get a short yardage back in the first round ? I said get a complete back in the first round all the backs I mentioned above were all capable of gaining a short yardage first down. The jets currently do not have that back on the roster. We have a good young 3rd down back and 2 jags.

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

The only exception in the last 60 years:

NFL legend Earl Campbell still hits hard, compares current NFL to wrestling

Earl was worth spending a high first-round pick on.  Still would be.  But he is probably the entire list.

One of my favorite players of all. Really beat up LB's and Safeties but also took a beating in the process that cut his career short.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Once you introduce an element of need, it's no longer BPA in my humble opinion. I don't believe in "modified BPA" just like you can't be modified pregnant. Either you are taking the top guy on your board, or other factors -- such as scheme and need -- are part of your analysis.

Well, I mean, you could be modified pregnant depending on how you define modified.

- Pregnant from your partner

- Pregnant from a donor

- Pregnant surrogate 

All your baby but definitely modified.

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Well, I mean, you could be modified pregnant depending on how you define modified.

- Pregnant from your partner

- Pregnant from a donor

- Pregnant surrogate 

All your baby but definitely modified.

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Remind me not to schedule my next colonoscopy in your garage :D

• Upvote 1

On 11/30/2021 at 8:52 PM, AFJF said:

Can't say I wholly agree with this.  Even if we pretend Moore isn't a #1 WR, the group they have is plenty good and McGovern can play C or RG so  you don't really need both.

Shutdown corner would be at the top of my list. Lawson is coming back, but you  still nab a top pass rusher if we are in the top few picks. Bundle a 2 and 3 or both 2s to move up and grab linderbaum. So - Hutchinson, Stingley and Linderbaum.  Boom!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Shutdown corner would be at the top of my list. Lawson is coming back, but you  still nab a top pass rusher if we are in the top few picks. Bundle a 2 and 3 or both 2s to move up and grab linderbaum. So - Hutchinson, Stingley and Linderbaum.  Boom!

I tend to agree but I'm informed by posters who seem quite adamant that a shutdown corner isn't really needed/would be a misallocation of resources in Saleh's scheme.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

when did I say get a short yardage back in the first round ? I said get a complete back in the first round all the backs I mentioned above were all capable of gaining a short yardage first down. The jets currently do not have that back on the roster. We have a good young 3rd down back and 2 jags.

This is one of the reasons why the RB position has been devalued league-wide. There’s no need for one complete back when you can rotate 2, 3, 4 guys who each bring something a little different to the table. The position suffers a high injury rate, so you need to carry four of them, anyway, why not have four guys who you want on the field? Fresher legs for the fourth quarter of the game and the season. RB also has the shortest career of any position in the game, and second contracts for RBs rarely work out. Even if you nail the pick, you’re looking at franchising the guy once or twice and then letting him walk. Not the greatest use of a first round pick. Then you have the fact that the teams who do rely on that one workhorse back generally fall apart when that guy inevitably gets hurt. 

And I see Michael Carter playing a lot on first and second down, not sure why you’re pigeon-holing him as a third round back… ? Because he’s short? I like the Jets’ RB room. I’d look to resign Coleman and pretty much be done at the position. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, jgb said:

I tend to agree but I'm informed by posters who seem quite adamant that a shutdown corner isn't really needed/would be a misallocation of resources in Saleh's scheme.

We’ll see what they eventually do, but teams running this defense generally put a premium on size, length, and tackling ability at CB over pure coverage skills. An Aaron Glenn would be wasted in this system. 

On 11/30/2021 at 9:05 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I dunno what it’s gonna take for people to accept that the Jets are not going to invest heavy resources into the secondary in a Cover-3 scheme.  Whether they want the team to do so or not.  

Obviously Walter Football didn’t get the memo on CB.

This would be the place to trade back and obtain additional picks. Stingily will be a a hot commodity.

1. *** 2022 NFL MOCK DRAFT updated Dec. 1. This mock draft will be updated occasionally. Follow @walterfootball for NFL Draft updates. *** 

2. lionsb_logo.gif Detroit Lions: Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE/OLB, Oregon  Oregon_logo.gif 
    Given that there's no stud quarterback prospect in this class, the Lions may give Jared Goff another chance. Goff is not fully responsible for Detroit's 0-10-1 start, after all. Instead, the Lions could pick the best defensive player available. 

Kayvon Thibodeaux has enjoyed two great years, terrorizing Pac-12 backfields with his great pass-rushing ability. 

Follow @walterfootball for updates. Also, you can Support Us on Patreon here! 

Also, if you'd like to support the site, check out my book! It's available on Amazon, and it's called A Safety and a Field Goal. 

Take a look: 

A Safety and a Field Goal 

You can buy it here. It has some NFL Draft-related topics, so like I said, if you want to support the site, this is a great way to do it! 

3. texansb_logo.gif Houston Texans: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty  Liberty_logo.gif 
    Deshaun Watson expressed his frustration with the Texans. He seemed likely to be traded, and now he's in legal trouble. Houston drafted Davis Mills, but he has proven to be just a pedestrian backup quarterback. 

Malik Willis has a huge arm and great mobility, but struggles to process information and see the field very well. 

4. jaguarsb_logo.gif Jacksonville Jaguars: Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia  Georgia_logo.gif 
    The Jaguars have missed Calais Campbell. They could use their top-five pick to add a blue-chip prospect to their very weak front seven. 

Jordan Davis was a monster in the 2021 season debut against Clemson. He has continued to dominate this year. 

5. jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: Aidan Hutchinson, DE, Michigan  Michigan_logo.gif 
    The Jets haven't possessed a great edge rusher in quite some time. That appeared to change in the wake of the Carl Lawson signing, but he suffered a season-ending injury. Even with his return next year, the Jets could use another player who can put great pressure on the quarterback on the opposite side. 

Aidan Hutchinson has excellent potential, but we didn't get to see it very much last year because he suffered an ankle injury. 

6. jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: Derek Stingley, CB, LSU  LSU_logo.gif 
    The Jets have needed cornerback help for quite some time. They'll be able to obtain a shutdown corner with this selection. 

Derek Stingley had a freshman campaign for the ages, completely erasing one side of the field despite having no experience entering the year. He has great size (6-1, 190) and projects as a top-five prospect whenever he declares. 

7. giantsb_logo.gif New York Giants: Evan Neal, OT/G, Alabama  Alabama_logo.gif 
    Andrew Thomas struggled to begin his career. He has improved, but right tackle is a big problem because Nate Solder is a shell of his former self.  

Evan Neal is a 360-pound lineman who can move very well, which almost seems impossible. 

8. giantsb_logo.gif New York Giants: Jermaine Johnson, DE, Florida State  FloridaState_logo.gif 
    The Giants have some good talent in their secondary, but their edge rush is sorely lacking. The Giants need to find someone who can pressure the quarterback. 

Jermaine Johnson, who left Georgia for Florida State, has good speed off the edge. 

9. eaglesb_logo.gif Philadelphia Eagles: Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame  NotreDame_logo.gif 
    Eagles fans remember Brian Dawkins very fondly. Here's Philadelphia's chance to obtain their next All-Pro safety, filling a huge need. 

The very physically gifted Kyle Hamilton showed lots of promise in his freshman year. He's a rare safety prospect who could go in the top five. 

10. eaglesb_logo.gif Philadelphia Eagles: George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue  Purdue_logo.gif 
    Brandon Graham's career is nearing its end, while Derek Barnett has flopped. The Eagles could add one of the talented edge rushers in this class. 

George Karlaftis was a monstrous pass rusher in his freshman campaign, generating 17.5 tackles for loss. 

11. panthersb_logo.gif Carolina Panthers: Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State  MississippiState_logo.gif 
    The Panthers have severe blocking problems. They have to find a bookend for Taylor Moton. 

Charles Cross has great feet as a former five-star recruit. Charlie Campbell reported that Cross has impressed team evaluators this season. 

12. falconsb_logo.gif Atlanta Falcons: Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss  Mississippi_logo.gif 
    The Falcons may have drafted Trey Lance had he fallen to them at No. 4 in the 2021 NFL Draft. They could have selected Justin Fields, but passed on him. They can make amends for that with this pick. 

Matt Corral developed well under Lane Kiffin, completing 71 percent of his passes in 2020. 

13. vikingsb_logo.gif Minnesota Vikings: Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati  Cincinnati_logo.gif 
    The Vikings failed with their most recent first-round cornerback selection, so here's another to help address the struggling secondary. 

Ahmad Gardner is a 6-foot-2 cornerback with great length. 

Pick change; previously Trent McDuffie, CB  

14. saintsb_logo.gif New Orleans Saints: Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State  OhioState_logo.gif 
    The Saints have needed receiver help across from Michael Thomas for some time. We also don't know much about Thomas' future in New Orleans.  

15. eaglesb_logo.gif Philadelphia Eagles: Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington  Washington_logo.gif 
    Darius Slay turns 31 this offseason, the Eagles may want to find a talented cornerback for the long term. 

Trent McDuffie isn't six feet (5-11), but he has great cover skills. 

Pick change; previously Ahmad Gardner, CB  

16. brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas  Arkansas_logo.gif 
    The Browns lost Odell Beckham Jr., so they'll need to find a new No. 1 receiver.  

Treylon Burks is a 6-foot-3 receiver with good speed. 

Pick change; previously Perrion Winfrey, DT  

17. steelersb_logo.gif Pittsburgh Steelers: Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa  NorthernIowa_logo.gif 
    It doesn't matter who the running back is if the team can't block for him. The Steelers desperately need help for their awful offensive line. 

Trevor Penning has massive size and good athleticism to go with it. 

On 11/30/2021 at 9:05 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I dunno what it’s gonna take for people to accept that the Jets are not going to invest heavy resources into the secondary in a Cover-3 scheme.  Whether they want the team to do so or not.  

no one gets it.  Thats why I throw any mock out that has Stingley as one of our top picks.  Its just not the road this team is going to go down.  Theres a chanceeeeeeee a safety can be a higher pick, only because of the responsibilities in the run game and how much ground they have to cover in a Cvr 3 Scheme but i still think its edge and OL where the prime picks are going to go, then LB/offensive playmakers next. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

This would be the place to trade back and obtain additional picks. Stingily will be a a hot commodity.

1. *** 2022 NFL MOCK DRAFT updated Dec. 1. This mock draft will be updated occasionally. Follow @walterfootball for NFL Draft updates. *** 

2. lionsb_logo.gif Detroit Lions: Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE/OLB, Oregon  Oregon_logo.gif 
    Given that there's no stud quarterback prospect in this class, the Lions may give Jared Goff another chance. Goff is not fully responsible for Detroit's 0-10-1 start, after all. Instead, the Lions could pick the best defensive player available. 

Kayvon Thibodeaux has enjoyed two great years, terrorizing Pac-12 backfields with his great pass-rushing ability. 

Also, if you'd like to support the site, check out my book! It's available on Amazon, and it's called A Safety and a Field Goal. 

Take a look: 

You can buy it here. It has some NFL Draft-related topics, so like I said, if you want to support the site, this is a great way to do it! 

Deshaun Watson expressed his frustration with the Texans. He seemed likely to be traded, and now he's in legal trouble. Houston drafted Davis Mills, but he has proven to be just a pedestrian backup quarterback. 

Malik Willis has a huge arm and great mobility, but struggles to process information and see the field very well. 

4. jaguarsb_logo.gif Jacksonville Jaguars: Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia  Georgia_logo.gif 
    The Jaguars have missed Calais Campbell. They could use their top-five pick to add a blue-chip prospect to their very weak front seven. 

Jordan Davis was a monster in the 2021 season debut against Clemson. He has continued to dominate this year. 

5. jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: Aidan Hutchinson, DE, Michigan  Michigan_logo.gif 
    The Jets haven't possessed a great edge rusher in quite some time. That appeared to change in the wake of the Carl Lawson signing, but he suffered a season-ending injury. Even with his return next year, the Jets could use another player who can put great pressure on the quarterback on the opposite side. 

Aidan Hutchinson has excellent potential, but we didn't get to see it very much last year because he suffered an ankle injury. 

The Jets have needed cornerback help for quite some time. They'll be able to obtain a shutdown corner with this selection. 

Derek Stingley had a freshman campaign for the ages, completely erasing one side of the field despite having no experience entering the year. He has great size (6-1, 190) and projects as a top-five prospect whenever he declares. 

Andrew Thomas struggled to begin his career. He has improved, but right tackle is a big problem because Nate Solder is a shell of his former self.  

Evan Neal is a 360-pound lineman who can move very well, which almost seems impossible. 

8. giantsb_logo.gif New York Giants: Jermaine Johnson, DE, Florida State  FloridaState_logo.gif 
    The Giants have some good talent in their secondary, but their edge rush is sorely lacking. The Giants need to find someone who can pressure the quarterback. 

Jermaine Johnson, who left Georgia for Florida State, has good speed off the edge. 

9. eaglesb_logo.gif Philadelphia Eagles: Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame  NotreDame_logo.gif 
    Eagles fans remember Brian Dawkins very fondly. Here's Philadelphia's chance to obtain their next All-Pro safety, filling a huge need. 

The very physically gifted Kyle Hamilton showed lots of promise in his freshman year. He's a rare safety prospect who could go in the top five. 

10. eaglesb_logo.gif Philadelphia Eagles: George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue  Purdue_logo.gif 
    Brandon Graham's career is nearing its end, while Derek Barnett has flopped. The Eagles could add one of the talented edge rushers in this class. 

George Karlaftis was a monstrous pass rusher in his freshman campaign, generating 17.5 tackles for loss. 

11. panthersb_logo.gif Carolina Panthers: Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State  MississippiState_logo.gif 
    The Panthers have severe blocking problems. They have to find a bookend for Taylor Moton. 

Charles Cross has great feet as a former five-star recruit. Charlie Campbell reported that Cross has impressed team evaluators this season. 

12. falconsb_logo.gif Atlanta Falcons: Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss  Mississippi_logo.gif 
    The Falcons may have drafted Trey Lance had he fallen to them at No. 4 in the 2021 NFL Draft. They could have selected Justin Fields, but passed on him. They can make amends for that with this pick. 

Matt Corral developed well under Lane Kiffin, completing 71 percent of his passes in 2020. 

13. vikingsb_logo.gif Minnesota Vikings: Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati  Cincinnati_logo.gif 
    The Vikings failed with their most recent first-round cornerback selection, so here's another to help address the struggling secondary. 

14. saintsb_logo.gif New Orleans Saints: Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State  OhioState_logo.gif 
    The Saints have needed receiver help across from Michael Thomas for some time. We also don't know much about Thomas' future in New Orleans.  

15. eaglesb_logo.gif Philadelphia Eagles: Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington  Washington_logo.gif 
    Darius Slay turns 31 this offseason, the Eagles may want to find a talented cornerback for the long term. 

16. brownsb_logo.gif Cleveland Browns: Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas  Arkansas_logo.gif 
    The Browns lost Odell Beckham Jr., so they'll need to find a new No. 1 receiver.  

17. steelersb_logo.gif Pittsburgh Steelers: Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa  NorthernIowa_logo.gif 
    It doesn't matter who the running back is if the team can't block for him. The Steelers desperately need help for their awful offensive line. 

if youre telling me possibly the safest pick in the draft drops outside the top 17, im trading that stingley pick back as far as i can for Linderbaum then.  

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, slats said:

We’ll see what they eventually do, but teams running this defense generally put a premium on size, length, and tackling ability at CB over pure coverage skills. An Aaron Glenn would be wasted in this system. 

Yeah, I concede I know a lot less about the scheme than those who have expressed this opinion. 

6 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

so a great corner doesn't fit on this team in a passing league?

Corner play is important for any team.  But this is a scheme that primarily uses zone, so the corners we need are going to come from the middle rounds in the draft, not the top of the draft.

Pass rushers are where this scheme will invest heavy draft capital, not DB’s.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Take a look: 

I know less than nothing about this stuff but this looks depressing as shit!

12 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

so a great corner doesn't fit on this team in a passing league?

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Corner play is important for any team.  But this is a scheme that primarily uses zone, so the corners we need are going to come from the middle rounds in the draft, not the top of the draft.

Pass rushers are where this scheme will invest heavy draft capital, not DB’s.

A GM's job is to maximize the value of the draft. To do that, he must allocate his resources in such a way that marries talent and scheme.

In Saleh's scheme -- a pass rusher has a higher value than an equally-talented DB.

BAP is a myth that only exists on messageboards. Every -- 100% -- of GMs consider need/scheme, at least with those early high-value picks.

If JD drafts a CB in the first it will be because there isn't a pass rusher or LB close on his board.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I'd like to see more of that kid from the 49'ers before the end of the season (and less of Ty Johnson, if I were being honest).

• Upvote 1

A haul of Hutchinson and Stingley would certainly be transformational for the defense, but of course it’d be preferably to go offense.

If that’s the way this is gonna go, JD needs to go all in on offense in free agency. Brandon Scherff and Allen Robinson?

On 12/1/2021 at 7:35 AM, Smashmouth said:

We will have to agree to disagree and this because yes it is total bullsh*t and its why so many teams reach for those so called premium positions and wind up sh*tting the bed while the really good football players fall in the draft to the better drafting teams. The stupid ass combine contributes to this crap as well. Not saying the combine is not necessary but too many bad players get drafted because you know OMG 4.3 speed or OMG 45 Reps.. . You take players based on how they play the game not by what a bunch of talking heads feel is a premium position. Sometimes I wonder just how much GM's are actually influenced by the guys who cover the draft and how much the fans play into their bullsh*t narratives like premium positions.

So the positions you mention are also the biggest crap shoots. Personally I take the player I know or feel is going to be the best football player if that just so happens not to be a premium position oh well.  The only Player I take the early crap shoot on is the QB position after that its about the football player not the premium position. If that player I target just so happens to be that premium position you speak of then that's the way the chips fall and everyone's happy. This league over all is going in the direction of "Stupid Football" anyhow . How do you stop a HOF caliber QB (which is the most important task in the NFL since its inception) ? The answer is you don't stop him you keep him off the field with a stout Running game and take charge of the game controlling the clock and the Line Of Scrimmage . In that respect you build an O-line and get a RB who has shown to be durable and will put a hurt on opposing defenses. But everyone wants WR's because you know Premium position. Joe D seems to have it down pat and the guy not only took a Guard he traded up to get him WHY ? Because the kid is a stud football player "not a premium position"

The Absolute Perfectly built team was the Cowboys of the early to mid 90's who had a QB who could barely reach 15 TD's a year or 3000 yards but they had a great Running game and regularly beat the high flying offenses of the day who were putting up just as many yards and were just as explosive as the offenses today. They had the trifecta on offense Irvin (big Possession WR) Emmitt Smith (shut close games down in the 4th Quarter) and a great TE in Novacek (also a huge possession guy) They also had incredible safeties ...but hey you would not have drafted Emmitt Smith in the first round cause not premium.

To me the most important position on the Offense behind the QB is the RB if you get a RB like a Jonathan Taylor or a Marshall Faulk you not only have a dual threat RB that defense have to deal with but you also take a ton pressure off your young QB... Taylor also happens to be a great blocker. So that's 3 things that guy does as one player Block, Run, Receive, but you know not really premium..... name me another position that's does all that ? You Can't and if a stud is available early in the draft you take him for those 3 reasons . He gets hurt ? Oh well because all the premium positions you list have just as much chance to get hurt. 

I think that this post is 100% correct in theory. Problem is what you laid out is almost impossible  to accomplish. I definitely agree that if you can draft a RB that can be elite for their rookie contact is worthy of a Top 5 pick but those guys are unicorns as well

Far easier to accomplish the same thing with scheme -short passes and TEs with an elite OL than finding a modern day triplets

34 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

A haul of Hutchinson and Stingley would certainly be transformational for the defense, but of course it’d be preferably to go offense.

If that’s the way this is gonna go, JD needs to go all in on offense in free agency. Brandon Scherff and Allen Robinson?

If we had peak Andy Dalton, you'd believe different IMHO.

37 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I see no scenario the Jets take defensive back early. I would be shocked if we pick one before Day 3

45 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Scherff and Robinson would be a huge get for the offense. 

This guy seems to be the real deal in zone coverage and tackling. Would certainly perfer him over Stingley when you consider we wouldn't have to invest a top 5 pick for him. Gardner from Cincinnati seems to be a great cover guy. But his tackling sucks in the quick passing game but without a doubt a stud.