Jump to content

Morstead NFC Special Teams Player of the Week


BallinPB
 Share

Recommended Posts

Good for him.

I'm giving Mann a pass right now with the knee injury, but I was critical of him last year as well.  He's simply looking like an average to slightly below average NFL punter.  You usually don't need to use a Draft pick to find a guy like that, but we did.  I won't go crazy since it was a 6th round pick but this is looking like a miscalculation.

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Zachtomims47 said:

Eh. This isn’t the season to be upset over a 57 yr old punter doing well over the guy we have.
Let Mann do his thing. 

Not upset just pointing out that we released a good punter for a below average one.  Mute point in this season but still a point.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mann isn't good. His numbers were bottom 5 last year and he has sucked this year. Never got spending a draft pick on a punter regardless of who it was. 

JD is very loyal to his picks. So he is going to go with his guy and a guy he thinks can be here a long time. BUT if he continues to punt like sh*t, cut his ass. Considering the kicker situation, maybe JD should hire a ST specialty scout. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mann is solid punter. He hurt his knee and probably still isn’t totally healthy. He hit a beautiful punt that should have been downed inside the 5 on Sunday. Morstead is a good punter but he is 36 years old. With all the good moves JD has made, I guess this is the only thing whiners can cling to.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Mann is solid punter. He hurt his knee and probably still isn’t totally healthy. He hit a beautiful punt that should have been downed inside the 5 on Sunday. Morstead is a good punter but he is 36 years old. With all the good moves JD has made, I guess this is the only thing whiners can cling to.

Stats would argue with you on our point 

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/punts/2021/REG/all/puntingaverageyards/desc

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Mann is solid punter. He hurt his knee and probably still isn’t totally healthy. He hit a beautiful punt that should have been downed inside the 5 on Sunday. Morstead is a good punter but he is 36 years old. With all the good moves JD has made, I guess this is the only thing whiners can cling to.

Just how do you conclude he is a solid punter?

He is not.  And worse yet he saves his worst kicks from our own end zone.

He sucks and this was clearly shown when both the old replacement and our fg kicker did a far better job than he has.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Mann isn't good. His numbers were bottom 5 last year and he has sucked this year. Never got spending a draft pick on a punter regardless of who it was.

If Mann was a difference maker as a punter or the next Johnny Hekker (4x All Pro, longest punt in Super Bowl history, Pro Bowler, etc.) then I would absolutely get it and support.  As Bill Parcells used to say, Special Teams is a full one-third of the football game and there's lots of hidden yardage and field position in that game.  The problem is that Mann isn't that kind of player and is striving to be average.

 

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

JD is very loyal to his picks. So he is going to go with his guy and a guy he thinks can be here a long time. BUT if he continues to punt like sh*t, cut his ass. Considering the kicker situation, maybe JD should hire a ST specialty scout. 

Maybe.  Mims (2nd rounder) has basically been demoted, Zuniga (3rd round) was cut and is now on the Practice Squad (unprotected this week I believe), James Morgan was cut (twice!), Perine has been demoted after seeing lots of time on the Active roster last year, etc.

I actually give JD credit here.  There's nothing worse than hanging onto a guy who isn't performing simply because you drafted him.  I don't think JD does that.  Braden Mann will be interesting to see but it's too early to cut bait on him.  Firstly, he's been hurt.  Secondly, he hasn't been a liability, he simply isn't above average.  Finally, the Jets would need to replace him with a longterm solution.  Morestead is good but I don't know for how long.

The real question is why does Braden Mann seem different than he did in college?

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

He's a punter. What does being 35 have to do with it. 

Because it would be far better for this franchise to spend this year trying to develop Mann. If Mann sucks, we can always go after Morstead in the offseason since the only teams that have wanted him this year were teams that had injuries/covid. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Mann is solid punter. He hurt his knee and probably still isn’t totally healthy. He hit a beautiful punt that should have been downed inside the 5 on Sunday. Morstead is a good punter but he is 36 years old. With all the good moves JD has made, I guess this is the only thing whiners can cling to.

Is that really necessary?  There's actually lots to cling to.  Like most GMs JD has had good moves and bad moves.  Take a look at the 2020 Draft class and give us your honest assessment after 1 1/2 years in the NFL.  Becton (good but injured), Davis (might be good, but often injured), Hall (starter), Mann (average).   I think we might have 3 starters out of that class right now.  Mims, Clark, Morgan, Perine, Zuniga?  There are legitimate questions about whether they will contribute to the team at all or even be on the roster in 2022.  The Jets are clearly looking for upgrades for all of them even in their backup roles.

As for Mann, you said he's hurt and yes, he has been.  So let's ignore 2021 and look at 2020 where he had tons of opportunities (the Jets led the league in punting unsurprisingly), so we really got a good sense for what he is.  Click below, you'll have to scroll down as he's 3rd from the bottom in punting average.

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punting/2020/regular-season

The best thing about Mann as Brant Boyer has stated is his "get off."  His time from the ball hitting his hands to when it leaves his foot is quick.  That's actually evidenced a bit in his stats too.  Zero blocked punts last year despite punting the ball a league-high 82 times.  Mann is also a decent directional kicker.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn’t care JD used a LATE round draft pick on a starter. And Mann looked like he would be damn good. Definitely not living up to expectations just yet (mainly the booming leg) but he isn’t terrible at pinning punts inside the 20, right? Can’t look it up right now but that’s the main stat I care about. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Is that really necessary?  There's actually lots to cling to.  Like most GMs JD has had good moves and bad moves.  Take a look at the 2020 Draft class and give us your honest assessment after 1 1/2 years in the NFL.  Becton (good but injured), Davis (might be good, but often injured), Hall (starter), Mann (average).   I think we might have 3 starters out of that class right now.  Mims, Clark, Morgan, Perine, Zuniga?  There are legitimate questions about whether they will contribute to the team at all or even be on the roster in 2022.  The Jets are clearly looking for upgrades for all of them even in their backup roles.

As for Mann, you said he's hurt and yes, he has been.  So let's ignore 2021 and look at 2020 where he had tons of opportunities (the Jets led the league in punting unsurprisingly), so we really got a good sense for what he is.  Click below, you'll have to scroll down as he's 3rd from the bottom in punting average.

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punting/2020/regular-season

The best thing about Mann as Brant Boyer has stated is his "get off."  His time from the ball hitting his hands to when it leaves his foot is quick.  That's actually evidenced a bit in his stats too.  Zero blocked punts last year despite punting the ball a league-high 82 times.  Mann is also a decent directional kicker.

Yes it was necessary.  Arguing that a rebuilding young team at 3-8 team should keep a 36 year old over a young promising punter is ridiculous. Especially given the great trades JD has made and what appears to be one of our best drafts in years.  We are finally building a team in the correct fashion, keep the younger promising players over a 36 year old.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Yes it was necessary. First off the poster that started this thread does nothing but whine about ridiculous things.  Secondly, my point was Mann is a good punter on the youngest roster in the NFL. A team that finally is being built in the correct fashion. Arguing that a rebuilding toung team at 3-8 team should keep a 36 year old over a young promising punter is ridiculous. Especially given the great trades JD has made and what appears to be one of our best drafts in years.  

I do nothing about whine about ridiculous things?  I don't see any whining.  I was just pointing out that we released a good punter for someone who may have potential but hasn't showed it.  I also said in this thread it's a moot point in this season but still something to acknowledge.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Mann is solid punter. He hurt his knee and probably still isn’t totally healthy. He hit a beautiful punt that should have been downed inside the 5 on Sunday. Morstead is a good punter but he is 36 years old. With all the good moves JD has made, I guess this is the only thing whiners can cling to.

Yes. This is definitely the only thing people can cling to. Definitely nothing else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
2Z0dN_va_bigger.jpg
 
Saleh said there would be a kicking competition this week between Matt Ammendola and Alex Kessman. "Let the best man win."
 
 
1
 
 
 
2
 
 
 
 
2Z0dN_va_bigger.jpg
 
Corey Davis won’t practice today. Denzel Mims will return from COVID-19 list. Keelan Cole is on the COVID list and probably won’t play this week.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Mann isn't good. His numbers were bottom 5 last year and he has sucked this year. Never got spending a draft pick on a punter regardless of who it was. 

JD is very loyal to his picks. So he is going to go with his guy and a guy he thinks can be here a long time. BUT if he continues to punt like sh*t, cut his ass. Considering the kicker situation, maybe JD should hire a ST specialty scout. 

Remember when JD got here and got rid of some of mac's picks and people fellated him saying finally someone was here who wouldnt hold on to players. And I said cutting someone else's players doesnt mean anything, every new GM does this and then got attacked by the Homer's.

 

Good times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BallinPB said:

I do nothing about whine about ridiculous things?  I don't see any whining.  I was just pointing out that we released a good punter for someone who may have potential but hasn't showed it.  I also said in this thread it's a mute point in this season but still something to acknowledge.  

I thought a different poster started it, I deleted that line right away.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Green hat said:

Why do people think JD will stick with Mann if he doesn't develop? If he doesn't develop into the long term solution he will be replaced. They can have more patience this year since we're not going anywhere, and it's - punting. 

Idiots have to bitch about something, so this is what they chose for now.  Who cares if the dude was a great punter in college for 4 years, obviously the ability is gone from him and they should grab some guy who will be an all-pro from the pile of unemployed kickers out there that dipsh*ts imagine exist.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BallinPB said:

Not upset just pointing out that we released a good punter for a below average one.  Mute point in this season but still a point.  

That's exactly the point. Punter is arguably the least important starting position on the team, but this appears to be an example of Douglas and the coaching staff misjuding the talent on the team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, maury77 said:

That's exactly the point. Punter is arguably the least important starting position on the team, but this appears to be an example of Douglas and the coaching staff misjuding the talent on the team. 

Punter is like fish in the fridge. Can safely be ignored until it starts stinking.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...