What are the Long Term Pieces of the Jets Offense Already In-Hand?

Warfish

Just now, slimjasi said:

Besides Moore and Carter, Corey Davis is also definitely going to be here next year, so he's going to get every opportunity to carve out a role for himself. 

I also wouldn't be opposed to resigning Crowder because I just think he's a good player and would be very affordable, but that probably won't happen. 

Davis needs to hold onto the ball but I agree he's not going anywhere. Crowder is as good as gone sadly. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Presumably Zach Wilson, Mekhi Becton, Alijah Vera-Tucker, Elijah Moore, and Michael Carter are penciled in as "core" members of the offense we're building around. Denzel Mims clearly should be in this group but... Yeah.

Whether Wilson pans out and Becton stays healthy is unclear, but I'd assume for sure the front office and coaching staff is moving forward with these guys as their foundational pieces and will continue to add playmakers and bolster the line.

Drafting a C or R, TE, and another WR seems likely.

• Upvote 2

Tbh at this point AVT, Moore and Carter seem like the only definitive young studs to build around.  With the doctor now at RG over Van Rotten, we now have some options at O-line.  

If you figure Moses isn’t coming back (who knows) we are then relying on Becton to stay healthy (perfectly fine with Fant at LT or RT). AVT is a lock.  Would probably look to upgrade C or RG (maybe move McGovern moves over depending on how the Doc plays long term).

TEs MUST BE PRIORITIZED.

WRs are whatever.  Davis has sucked so far but he’ll probably stick around another year or 2.  I’d personally bring Cole back next year as #3/4 if Mims continues to be a no show.  RB committee is really whatever as well.

My preferred draft would be (possible trade down) OL and TE with 2/4 of our first picks, and heavily defense the rest of the draft.

Offense really just comes down to the QB at this point. The OL is starting to gel and LaFluer is earning his paycheck.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Nobody thinks Quinnen Williams is a long-term piece? Let's not make him the next Leonard Williams.

We could probably use him as a situational short yardage rusher? Maybe throw him a pass in the back of the endzone every once in a blue moon? 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

QB - Wilson, TBD?

RB - Carter perhaps?  Anyone else?

WR - Moore?  Berrios as the Returner+bottom of roster WR?  Anyone else?

OL- AVT seems likely.  Becton, opinions seems split of long-term/health.  Are any of the others long-termers foundations at this point?

TE - ?  No one yet?

QB - Wilson... the team is invested in him

RB - Carter and Ty Johnson

WR - Moore, Berrios and Davis

OL- AVT and LDT

TE - nothing

Free Agency for TE and WR, Draft for olinemen

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Besides Moore and Carter, Corey Davis is also definitely going to be here next year, so he's going to get every opportunity to carve out a role for himself. 

I also wouldn't be opposed to resigning Crowder because I just think he's a good player and would be very affordable, but that probably won't happen. 

On the OL: AVT is a definite. I actually think LDT and McGovern both have a decent chance to be part of the future, as well. And I haven't given up on Becton. What happened to him this year could happen to any OL in the league on any play. 

Fluke injuries do occur, but bechton was bad prior to that anyway.  I think one of the interesting draft debates here will be, should the jets take Neal from Alabama if he’s clearly BAP.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Uncle Nicco said:

Moore is a piece,  he’s not a #1 target. This team is desperately missing a big go to reliable target. Mahomes and Allen can literally lock in to Kelce and Diggs for critical downs. We need that 

No kidding there. Hopefully we get one then Moore could be our Tyreek Hill. Josh Allen all of a sudden seem to find his accuracy after they signed Diggs. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Fluke injuries do occur, but bechton was bad prior to that anyway.  I think one of the interesting draft debates here will be, should the jets take Neal from Alabama if he’s clearly BAP.

I would have no problem taking Neal, but Becton was bad for like a quarter of football, right? He had a very good rookie season and has elite physical talent 

• Upvote 3

In terms of starters:

Offense: Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Michael Carter, Mehki Becton, AVT, and Connor McGovern

TBD: Nick Bawden looks like our answer at FB. Too early to be definitive on that though. Obviously Zach is TBD as well.

Missing: TE, WR, OG, and OT.

I’m ok with LDT and Fant/Moses short term. A TE and WR #1 are pending though.

• Upvote 1

I keep whining about this one issue, the jets were doing well on the offensive rebuild after a decade or more of neglect.  After taking a pass rusher with their 1st pick we are set up to add another high end oline, add one of he better tight ends and perhaps a good wr after.

then along comes our atrocious defense for our defenscentirc head coach and all that is going to go out the window.  We will be drafting ilbs and safeties this coming draft when we should keep going offense.  That is my fear.

Have we added some good players on O?  yes, are we done?  no

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

QB - Wilson, White
RB - Carter, Johnson, Walter(??? Familiar with the system, Darren Sproles type)
FB - Bawden
WR - Davis, Moore, Berrios, Mims(???)
TE - Yeboah
OL - Becton, Vera-Tucker, McGovern, Laurent-Tardiff, Fant   

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I keep whining about this one issue, the jets were doing well on the offensive rebuild after a decade or more of neglect.  After taking a pass rushers with their 1st pick we are set up to add another high end oline, add one of he better tight ends and perhaps a good wr after.

then along comes our atrocious defense for our defenscentirc head coach and all that is going to go out the window.  We will be drafting ilbs and safeties this coming draft when we should keep going offense.  That is my fear.

Have we added some good players on O?  yes, are we done?  no

Given our cap space available and our surplus of high draft picks, I actually think we're in a very good spot to simply cut the Gordian knot next offseason.  i.e. we have enough picks to draft O AND D, and enough cap space to fill gaps on both O and D, subject to FA availability, of course.

I honestly don't expect JD to go Full Defense.  I expect something of an even split, to continue to support Zach and the O, while also filling a few gaps on Defense.  Keep in mind, we get Carl Lawson, our big FA buy this year, back next year as well.  No idea how he'll look, but we do get him back.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I think about this in several tiers...

Studs
AVT and Moore appear to be the only two by virtue of being potentially great players

The Good Rookie
Carter, due to his solid performance and rookie contract, should also be considered "in hand" and will hopefully be around at least until his rookie deal runs out

The Talented, Giant Question Mark
Becton, assuming he can stay healthy (which is a question mark as big as his butt), 

The QB
Wilson, only because of the Jets' investment of him and his rookie deal.  Hopefully they have the sense to make an evaluation after he has played 20 games and pull the band-aid if need be.

Contracts
Davis is signed for a few years.  We'll consider him in-hand.

The rest, well, do they matter?

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

RB - Carter perhaps?  

I love Carter but if we keep running him up the gut 20 times a game he's not going to be a long term anything.  He could be our Saquon Barkley- a year or 2 of production then injury making him ineffective.  

Please let him run outside more, more screens out in space.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Nicco said:

Moore is a piece,  he’s not a #1 target. This team is desperately missing a big go to reliable target. Mahomes and Allen can literally lock in to Kelce and Diggs for critical downs. We need that 

Not sure why Moore can't be a #1 target. That KC team you were talking about use Tyreek Hill as a #1 target, not Kelce. Tyreek has 122 targets to Kelce's 97. Not to mention, Diggs is not a big target (just 6ft),  he is just bigger than Moore.

I do agree, that having a big target helps and that C Davis is not that guy, but there is nothing preventing Moore from being a #1 WR aside from the old school bias about smallish WRs.  

• Upvote 4