OL playing much better, but Wilson isn't

AFJF

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

He did some good things in the second half too.

Thought this was a wobbler watching live but a lineman may have gotten a fingertip on it.

Either way, plants his back foot and zips it in to Cole to seal the win with a couple of defenders in the area.

It was probably the most decisive throw of the game and his best decisions.  Throws it before Cole breaks.  That said, look at the placement.  It was 100% a better catch than throw.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If he can't see the dude standing right in front of him with a clean pocket, I guess we shouldn't expect him to be able to see anything.

He has to be looking there. He wasn't. Yes, it is a part of the problem. What was the progression on the play, you have the video. Or, did he stare left the whole time. Or did he not have time to look off?

32 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

He held it too long, Moore was open and even if he didnt get back up in time, he throws it away instead of taking a sack.  He also didnt even look at the wide-open receiver in the middle of the endzone because he stared Moore down and held the ball too long.    This was shared on a video that you ******* complimented.   lmfao   You're so all over the place defending any little criticism of Wilson, you dont even remember the sh*t you've said here.  lmfao  

Nicco - you're terrible at this and have zero credibility.  Dont step to me.

You are clueless, did you even watch the video? Play was dead half a second half we the snap 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Right, because both scenarios dont show up on film?   

And 50/50 balls arent even a thing, remember?  Nobody actually goes up and high points the ball over defenders, remember?  It's a myth, you claimed.  Doesnt happen, ever.  

Never claimed that at all. You just overestimated their importance. You thought it was 50 percent of Calvin Johnsons catches when it was 6 percent.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nicco said:

You are clueless, did you even watch the video? Play was dead half a second half we the snap 

I would pay for an app that gave a real-time measurement of the steam pressure building up in your head.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Uncle Nicco said:

lol the Moore TD where there was a free rusher and the WR slipped? Lmao yes I guess if Wilson pre determined the throw and threw it recklessly it might have been a TD. “He’s playing hero ball looking for the big play! Holding it too long!” - referencing play that was dead 0.5 seconds after the snap. That play was on Moore for running a sh*t route/slipping and ty Johnson for completely Whiffing on this block 

I wish I had a cool uncle like you,  mine was a dick.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Uncle Nicco said:

3 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Never claimed that at all. You just overestimated their importance. You thought it was 50 percent of Calvin Johnsons catches when it was 6 percent.

Thumbs Up GIF by One Chicago

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

It was probably the most decisive throw of the game and his best decisions.  Throws it before Cole breaks.  That said, look at the placement.  It was 100% a better catch than throw.

Tough to say whether or not that was intentional.  We've seen several throws from him this season where the ball is behind the receiver but there are defenders in the area who will have a better chance at making a play on the ball if Wilson leads the receiver.  Not saying you aren't right, but I also can't say I'm 100% sure it was just a bad throw.

39 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

You want a high hospital pass?  That’s a good play by both guys.  You should be happy with that play.  

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

another example of how the OL still fails miserably sometimes.  

Every O-line fails sometimes.   If you need perfect O-line play giving up zero pressures for a QB to succeed, you need a new Qb.  The QB needs to be able to recognize where pressure could come from and what to do when it does collapse on him.  Zach thus far has been terrible at identifying this and even worse at evading it.   

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

I know people like to pull a few plays each week where the OL looks like a sh*t show as proof that the group sucks and they need to draft fifteen OL in April, but some nice trends per PFF.

Only drawback is not knowing how many of the pressures/sacks are on Zach because of holding on to the ball too long or taking too deep of a drop but fair to say we know he has done that a fair bit, meaning the OL is even better than the numbers show.

I had no idea he was holding the ball this long. I'm wondering if he got rid of it faster last Sunday

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Every O-line fails sometimes.   If you need perfect O-line play giving up zero pressures for a QB to succeed, you need a new Qb.  The QB needs to be able to recognize where pressure could come from and what to do when it does collapse on him.  Zach thus far has been terrible at identifying this and even worse at evading it.   

my point is that while the OL is playing better than it had been, there's still some plays where the protection blows up and wilson is going to get sacked.  where wilson fails is not being able to make those quick decisions before the mistake.  he doesn't know when to just get rid of it and take the short gain.  but the one positive i saw last game, was that he wasn't running around and then forcing longer throws downfield that produced those INTs vs the pats.  the first thing he has to learn is to throw it away instead of turning it over, which is something that darnold never learned and it has been his downfall in carolina as well.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Tough to say whether or not that was intentional.  We've seen several throws from him this season where the ball is behind the receiver but there are defenders in the area who will have a better chance at making a play on the ball if Wilson leads the receiver.  Not saying you aren't right, but I also can't say I'm 100% sure it was just a bad throw.

Fair enough.  Though I assume he knew it would be open because the LB'er took the seam route, he still did have a defender in the area that might have made him throw it behind.  Still, that catch was ridiculous when they showed it slow motion from the end zone.  

21 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Dude I went and watched 90 percent of his catches from his biggest season. You were wrong then and now four years later you're still wrong. Roping me in with the site punching bag trying to put his smell on me won't change that. It's a cheap way to argue.

You have to be kidding me? lol   

You crack me up.  You posted a clear and obvious, passive aggressive post toward me, using something I said in a post but did not have the balls to directly quote me and then I directly quoted that post.  I didnt rope you in, you jumped in.  lmfao 

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Isn’t Zach’s entire BYU highlight reel just him running out of the pocket and flipping it downfield to open receivers (who now sell life insurance as a career)?

Zach needs to learn he doesn't  always have to bail on the pocket. Sometimes you can just step up to buy another second. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Zach needs to learn he doesn't  always have to bail on the pocket. Sometimes you can just step up to buy another second. 

The pocket looks more trustworthy lately.   I hope he is working on stepping up now.  

It’s tough to fault him for not wanting to step up earlier in the season.  Guys would look blocked and then instantly blow through.  

Watching the Colts game last week, there was a random play and the camera was zoomed in on Wentz and he said, looking at his RB, "Chip that Guy" and pointed at the DE.  Then, the play started, the DE and the T were engaged, the RB came up, gave a 'chip' to the DE to assist the T and not allow him around the outside then drifted into the flat and was open for a nice gain. 

That is what is not happening with Zach yet and why people have blamed the sacks on him.  It is his responsibility to set the protection.   IF he sets it wrong, or even if he doesn't give a simple 'chip that guy' message, that play could end up with him on his ass and it would be "the lineman's" fault, but really he did it himself. 

17 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

You want a high hospital pass?  That’s a good play by both guys.  You should be happy with that play.  

Unlike 95% of posters around here, I changed my stance and admitted I was off after watching it again.   Maybe it was purposely placed low and behind him to make that high level of difficulty of a catch because there was a defender in the middle of the field, even though he was seemingly taking the seam route.  I'll retrack my original take.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Origen said:

Watching the Colts game last week, there was a random play and the camera was zoomed in on Wentz and he said, looking at his RB, "Chip that Guy" and pointed at the DE.  Then, the play started, the DE and the T were engaged, the RB came up, gave a 'chip' to the DE to assist the T and not allow him around the outside then drifted into the flat and was open for a nice gain. 

That is what is not happening with Zach yet and why people have blamed the sacks on him.  It is his responsibility to set the protection.   IF he sets it wrong, or even if he doesn't give a simple 'chip that guy' message, that play could end up with him on his ass and it would be "the lineman's" fault, but really he did it himself. 

Most rookies can’t do that yet. 

2 minutes ago, Wit said:

Most rookies can’t do that yet. 

Precisely.  I highly doubt Wentz was close to making a call like that his 1st year.  It's almost like time and experience and practice can make players better, even if they are already pretty good to start out!  Crazy!