There is more than one problem with Mecki Becton

Alka

I get getting injured this time was not his fault.  Him getting injured multiple times may not even be his fault, although some players seem to have a propensity for getting injured, and Becton seems to fit into that narrative.

The other problem with Becton has to do with his ability to heal and get back on the field.  He was supposed to miss 4-8 weeks I believe, and this Sunday will be week #9.  

Where the hell is Becton?  I assumed he would use the full 8 weeks to heal, but we are over that number, and it seems to be the way it is with Becton.

I now wish we would have taken another tackle in the draft.  

Jets fans are eternal in their hope that this will be the last injury that Becton has, and that he will become the dominant tackle we hoped he would be.  I want to believe this as well, but I'm losing my confidence.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

It's wild that you're not hearing anything about a timeline at this point.

Would anyone be surprised at this point if he's done for the year?

You see, this is the point of my thread.  We are hearing nothing about Mecki Becton, and I don't even hear or see the news media asking any questions about him.  It is very discouraging, and I wonder if the Jets should resign Moses to play right tackle, and have Fant or Moses ready to play left tackle for next year, when, not if, Becton gets hort again.  

The Jets need an insurance policy for Becton, because they just can't afford to go into next season with Moses walking, and hoping that Becton can stay healthy for an entire year, which I seriously doubt.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I said he would probably be out for the year as soon as the timeline was announced and I vividly remember half the board scoffing at the idea as if he was the paragon of rehab. 

The season is lost, he is already over schedule, and we know exactly what we have with him. 

At this point I will be astonished if he plays another snap this year. 

I'd definitely have leaned towards the scoff side.  I definitely felt Becton was overrated last year, but this is outrageous.  Hopefully you're wrong.  Even if the season is lost, dude needs reps.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Alka said:

You see, this is the point of my thread.  We are hearing nothing about Mecki Becton, and I don't even hear or see the news media asking any questions about him.  It is very discouraging, and I wonder if the Jets should resign Moses to play right tackle, and have Fant or Moses ready to play left tackle for next year, when, not if, Becton gets hort again.  

The Jets need an insurance policy for Becton, because they just can't afford to go into next season with Moses walking, and hoping that Becton can stay healthy for an entire year, which I seriously doubt.

No question they can't trust him to be out there at this point.  Absolutely must have a contingency.  I'm not sure if it's Neal, however.  But, wouldn't surprise me.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

How good is Evan Neal supposed to be in the draft? I wonder if he'll be a consideration now. 

Neal will probably be selected before our pick and he doesn't fit in our scheme therefore we may select someone else even if he's still on the board. 

AVT maybe a LT possibility if needed to be.

Ikem Ekwonu maybe the best prospect  to consider for our scheme. Either he can play LT or play LG so we can bump AVT to LT. 

12 minutes ago, Origen said:

Talked about him in the last press conference 3 days ago.  Said he is doing all field drills now and working back into playing shape.  The answers to the questions are available, folks.

He's not even showing up on the injury report!  Why would that be?  If he is doing field drills and working back into playing shape, we should be able to see his name.  4-8 week injury, and in week #9, he name doesn't make it even on the report.  

Thanks for that info; obviously I didn't see that.  It's something at least.

39 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

It's wild that you're not hearing anything about a timeline at this point.

Would anyone be surprised at this point if he's done for the year?

Nope.  Wouldn't surprise me a bit.  The bigger concern is that this guy hits 4 bills in the offseason weight-wise.

If JD just happens to read this here is my message.....  You don't have to avoid taking a LT in the Draft just to double down on your belief in Becton.  It wouldn't be an admission that drafting Becton was a failure (because it wasn't IMO).  On the contrary, it would show that you understand the value of LT especially with a young QB.  It would show that you know it's difficult to find premier LT's so when you're at the top of the Draft with two picks it's not a bad place to take one.  It would show that you recognize you were both smart AND lucky to have Fant AND Morgan Moses this year because both are playing well, but one is a FA at the end of the season and the other has just one year left under contract.  The probability might be low but's not zero that the Jets have none of Becton, Fant, Moses available to play in 2023.  Take the best available OT you can get, Joe... and then figure out what to do with Becton afterwards.  If it's a guy like Evan Neal (my dream!) then he plays RG next year if Becton is back at LT.  Get a LT on a rookie deal while Becton is heading into his 3rd year.  Time flies and a decision on Becton's option year isn't THAT far off.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Alka said:

He's not even showing up on the injury report!  Why would that be?  If he is doing field drills and working back into playing shape, we should be able to see his name.  4-8 week injury, and in week #9, he name doesn't make it even on the report.  

Quite simple, teams are not required to report injury details to non-activated players, even if they are practicing. He is on IR therefore they don't need to provide injury status. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

How good is Evan Neal supposed to be in the draft? I wonder if he'll be a consideration now. 

Douglas had Lane Johnson and Jason Peters in Philly when they decided to draft Andre Dillard in the 1st round. JD loves his OL so it would not shock me in the slightest.

• Upvote 2

The other thing with Becton is that whiles he's an A or A+ run blocker and very fleet of foot for a man his size, he's not an elite pass protector.  Don't get me wrong, he's good, but he's not a shutdown LT when it comes to pass blocking.  With a right-handed QB the you'd rather have a LT that's an A pass protector and a B run blocker, not vice versa.  JMHO.

I just realized why he's not on the injury report.  It's because he is not injured.

As Saleh said, he must be just out-of-shape, and needs to get himself back into playing shape.

I wonder how much he was able to do if not with his lower body, then with his diet, working out his upper body, and other stretching and other exercises which might assist him with getting back onto the field.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The other thing with Becton is that whiles he's an A or A+ run blocker and very fleet of foot for a man his size, he's not an elite pass protector.  Don't get me wrong, he's good, but he's not a shutdown LT when it comes to pass blocking.  With a right-handed QB the you'd rather have a LT that's an A pass protector and a B run blocker, not vice versa.  JMHO.

The guy has played less than a full season and had that Covid mess to start last year. There's still plenty of time for him to get better, he just needs to play.

• Upvote 2

The Jets offered Moses a multi year deal this past offseason. It was Moses himself who chose the 1 year deal.

Point is, Jets are probably willing to bring Moses back next year. He hasnt been great but he's solid.

Jets would be crazy to count on Becton for becoming anything in this league. 

• Upvote 2

People seriously are ready to move on from Becton because a player fell on the back of leg and tore his knee? This is an injury that would impact any NFL lineman.  Returns from injuries are estimates and people heal at different rates.  The overreactions and jumping to conclusions on players on this board is at a ridiculous level.  At the end of last season, he was a rising star and a consensus all rookie team player.  What happened since then?  Beat writers went berserk over practices in shells and shorts because they want clicks (all we heard was that Becton was terrible, Wilson was good, and Moore was phenomenal - none of which was accurate).  Then he sustains a serious knee injury in a manner that typically causes serious knee injuries to OLs.  And now he is trash that some are ready to toss aside?  Really?  Unbelievable.  If some of these same posters were evaluated the same way by their bosses at work, they would be out of a job on a monthly basis.  One bad day or one perceived weakness and you're gone.....

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Alka said:

This is like Week 12

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

People seriously are ready to move on from Becton because a player fell on the back of leg and tore his knee? This is an injury that would impact any NFL lineman.  Returns from injuries are estimates and people heal at different rates.  The overreactions and jumping to conclusions on players on this board is at a ridiculous level.  At the end of last season, he was a rising star and a consensus all rookie team player.  What happened since then?  Beat writers went berserk over practices in shells and shorts because they want clicks (all we heard was that Becton was terrible, Wilson was good, and Moore was phenomenal - none of which was accurate).  Then he sustains a serious knee injury in a manner that typically causes serious knee injuries to OLs.  And now he is trash that some are ready to toss aside?  Really?  Unbelievable.  If some of these same posters were evaluated the same way by their bosses at work, they would be out of a job on a monthly basis.  One bad day or one perceived weakness and you're gone.....

I think you are the one overreacting nobody in the thread called him trash or wants to get rid of him some just aren't putting all their eggs in the Becton basket and think the team needs a good back up plan.  Let's try and have some conversations without all the emotions and getting hysterical. 

• Upvote 1