There is more than one problem with Mecki Becton

Alka

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I get getting injured this time was not his fault.

Correct not his fault. Nor any other time...that goes for all players for all time.

Him getting injured multiple times may not even be his fault, although some players seem to have a propensity for getting injured, and Becton seems to fit into that narrative.

Yeah still not his fault, no one wants to get hurt. The injure prone and his fault narrative your are making is still not accurate

The other problem with Becton has to do with his ability to heal and get back on the field.  He was supposed to miss 4-8 weeks I believe, and this Sunday will be week #9.  

Well we don't have a first problem - he is not at fault for getting hurt -

Injuries recovery time vary and players will play as soon as they can. Just like he is not at fault for getting hurt, he is not at fault for your recovery timeline being off.

Where the hell is Becton?  I assumed he would use the full 8 weeks to heal, but we are over that number, and it seems to be the way it is with Becton.

This is coaching decision in line with his personal and team doctors I think. Pretty smart to make sure he is healthy before trotting him back out there.

I now wish we would have taken another tackle in the draft.

Oh I see where this is all coming from now. Those other tackles when hurt Im sure you would have wrote the same narrative abotu them when they were hurt. Again not their fault for getting hurt. 

Jets fans are eternal in their hope that this will be the last injury that Becton has, and that he will become the dominant tackle we hoped he would be.  I want to believe this as well, but I'm losing my confidence.

Time will tell, but he def seems pretty damn good to me when playing healthy. 

• Upvote 3

• I don't know what the Jets were saying with the 400 pound OT with the dislocated knee cap being out 4-8 weeks.  Their medical people are crazy.
  • It would be quite ironic if JD in his third draft has to re-draft QB and LT.  It could be the right answer where they pick.
  • Given what Jack Conklin got to play RT for the Browns, and we thought the Jets should pay more, if Becton is a great RT drafted at 10 that is not a horrible thing.  It would be a good thing, and we should enjoy the next three years of his contract, the 5th being most expensive, of him doing that. 
  • But to me the biggest issue facing the Jets is whether their GM can scout and draft.   His LT is a physical mess who does not resemble other LTs picked that high, and his QB can't complete a 5-10 yard pass.   The scouting and evaluation process has to get better.  
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

I'd definitely have leaned towards the scoff side.  I definitely felt Becton was overrated last year, but this is outrageous.  Hopefully you're wrong.  Even if the season is lost, dude needs reps.

I would be more patient honestly if we didnt have Wirfs to compare, when a good portion of this board was banging the table for him. 

I believe I even got trashed in the draft thread for questioning the pick over Wirfs at the time. 

Just really sucks. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, undertow said:

I think you are the one overreacting nobody in the thread called him trash or wants to get rid of him some just aren't putting all their eggs in the Becton basket and think the team needs a good back up plan.  Let's try and have some conversations without all the emotions and getting hysterical. 

YOu don't call what people have been saying as "called him trash"?

Please. These same people started saying THE SAME THING before he was even drafted. 

It was hysterical then and it's absolutely more absurd now. He's, so far, "one week" overdue to be back, IS PRACTICING, and the team is 3-8. He's STILL an NFL baby and is coming off what could have been a catastrophic injury and all you guys are focused on is "he shouldn't have been drafted...." and "he's injury prone..."

Never mind that he was playing on an OL that had played all of ZERO games together, with a player the Jets have moved on from.

The Becton hate is very short sighted.

11 minutes ago, freestater said:

The correct pick was Wirfs, and I don't give a sh*t about any excuses or obfuscation to attempt to mitigate that. 

JD reasoning was completely flawed.  He had two RT candidates, one of which had a bunch of flaws, and the other was a perfect specimen, except that the flawed and more risky candidate could potentially play LT because he was longer.  So JD took the first one.  He should have checked off the RT and let Fant play LT until they found someone else.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

12 minutes ago, varjet said:

JD reasoning was completely flawed.  He had two RT candidates, one of which had a bunch of flaws, and the other was a perfect specimen, except that the flawed and more risky candidate could potentially play LT because he was longer.  So JD took the first one.  He should have checked off the RT and let Fant play LT until they found someone else.  

Except Wirfs played RT in college and Becton played LT in college. Also Becton wasn’t injured in college.

• Upvote 1

I haven’t read the thread, but my thought on Becton is There was a time I thought people were piling on. I remember a poster said earlier this season he wouldn’t play again this year. I scoffed.

Now? I think the kid is a bust. Soft. Will never play a full season for us. 
From here on it’s on him to show us different.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/13/2021 at 2:57 PM, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

history has shown recently that the Jets have a high rate of injury, so I have ABSOLUTELY NO FAITH in the medical staff of the NY Jets to correctly diagnose or treat an injured player. 

I’ll call it now, Becton will have a setback and play less than 1/2 the season ( starts & plays >8 games) Not happy about it, but won’t be surprised if it occurs. 

lol called it. 
Becton was going to miss the season from the get go  

Lol if you’re freaking out about him not being back yet, there are bigger problems to deal with on the Jets than a LT who still has lots of developing to do. 

36 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I would be more patient honestly if we didnt have Wirfs to compare, when a good portion of this board was banging the table for him. 

I believe I even got trashed in the draft thread for questioning the pick over Wirfs at the time. 

Just really sucks. 

Hindsight's 20/20 (maybe not for you, as you preferred him), but I guess I'd say I'm a little surprised JD wouldn't have taken the safer pick there, considering the significant needs the Jets had(have).  Was really a pick we couldn't afford to miss.

Hopefully Becton comes back.  He showed a lot of upside last year, but beyond the injuries, something just ain't right.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Origen said:

Talked about him in the last press conference 3 days ago.  Said he is doing all field drills now and working back into playing shape.  The answers to the questions are available, folks.

Ok - What does this mean?  Does it take another week to get into playing shape?  Two weeks?  Three?  Will he be back in time for our deep playoff run?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Injuries recovery time vary and players will play as soon as they can. Just like he is not at fault for getting hurt, he is not at fault for your recovery timeline being off

I was wrong.  The estimated timeline for Becton's recovery was 4-6 weeks, not 4-8 weeks as I thought.  

He's been out 9 weeks now.  

D'Brickashaw Ferguson I believe missed 1 play in his entire career.  He was lucky for sure, but to say that it was just luck alone that he never got injured is just incorrect.  He was not prone to injury, and Becton obviously is.

We will agree to disagree, but it is obvious to me that certain players have a propensity of getting injured, and Becton fits into that category.  You may disagree, and that's okay with me.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

The mark of a good GM is to be able to go with the good and the bad... Maybe JD now has to rethink that pick. What sucks is having to repick that position, because the Center is the most important pick I believe. I'd be ok with picking another one next year, but I'd rather wait on him in 2022, and see if he can turn it around. If not, then LT for sure in 2023 draft. I'm even ok with using Fant again in 2022, and moving Becton to RT if Moses doesn't resign.

• Upvote 3

I agree with a lot of what is said in this, and it seems pretty natural to worry about his weight.

That said - is it possible the medical staff has been overly optimistic in its injury estimates?  I mean, look at ZW - he was nowhere close to 100% last week, and this was after 4 weeks of a 2-4 week injury, right?

If Michael Carter takes 6 weeks to come back from *his* 2-4 week injury, then it would definitely seem to be a trend...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ZachEY said:

No question they can't trust him to be out there at this point.  Absolutely must have a contingency.  I'm not sure if it's Neal, however.  But, wouldn't surprise me.

What a disaster it would be if we need to use another high #1 on Neal two years after taking this guy.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t, but I just can’t see Douglas doing it.

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

What a disaster it would be if we need to use another high #1 on Neal two years after taking this guy.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t, but I just can’t see Douglas doing it.

Really depends.  It's a weird top of the draft (my perspective is only from mocks).  There's no offensive weapons, no QBs to trade down with, and so you're really looking at two Edge players, one of whom will definitely be gone, an injured CB, a safety, and Neal.  We may take Neal based on him overwhelmingly being the best available player.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Correct not his fault. Nor any other time...that goes for all players for all time.

Yeah still not his fault, no one wants to get hurt. The injure prone and his fault narrative your are making is still not accurate

Well we don't have a first problem - he is not at fault for getting hurt -

Injuries recovery time vary and players will play as soon as they can. Just like he is not at fault for getting hurt, he is not at fault for your recovery timeline being off.

This is coaching decision in line with his personal and team doctors I think. Pretty smart to make sure he is healthy before trotting him back out there.

Oh I see where this is all coming from now. Those other tackles when hurt Im sure you would have wrote the same narrative abotu them when they were hurt. Again not their fault for getting hurt. 

Time will tell, but he def seems pretty damn good to me when playing healthy. 

We are two years in with this guy now… Bust.

Until he proves he isn’t.

Be honest… If another team had picked him we’d all be laughing our a** off at them for doing it.

• Post of the Week 1

39 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Hindsight's 20/20 (maybe not for you, as you preferred him), but I guess I'd say I'm a little surprised JD wouldn't have taken the safer pick there, considering the significant needs the Jets had(have).  Was really a pick we couldn't afford to miss.

Hopefully Becton comes back.  He showed a lot of upside last year, but beyond the injuries, something just ain't right.

The thing that worries me most about Becton, is that with the exception of his last year in college when his coaches challenged him hard, is I don’t think he has ever been in shape to play a full game of football.

Go back and look at how many times he tapped out and raised his hand to get off the field. He can’t overpower guys just with his size on this level the way he did in school.

• Upvote 4

There's no reason to rush him back with how well Fant is playing. Say we bring him back this week against the Eagles...He's gonna need a few weeks to get back up to speed. Maybe even 3 weeks. At that point, the season is close to being over. For Zack's development, it may be more prudent to leave Fant on his blind side and figure things out in the offseason. Or maybe if Becton is kinda ready then maybe bring the big man in to play RT. I think Moses is banged up anyway, so let's try it.

3 hours ago, Alka said:

I get getting injured this time was not his fault.  Him getting injured multiple times may not even be his fault, although some players seem to have a propensity for getting injured, and Becton seems to fit into that narrative.

The other problem with Becton has to do with his ability to heal and get back on the field.  He was supposed to miss 4-8 weeks I believe, and this Sunday will be week #9.  

Where the hell is Becton?  I assumed he would use the full 8 weeks to heal, but we are over that number, and it seems to be the way it is with Becton.

I now wish we would have taken another tackle in the draft.  

Jets fans are eternal in their hope that this will be the last injury that Becton has, and that he will become the dominant tackle we hoped he would be.  I want to believe this as well, but I'm losing my confidence.

Week #9?!?!

We’re in week 13 and he got hurt week 1. Bad math.

• Upvote 2

I had it as Wills #1 Thomas #2 Becton #3 and Wirfs #4 so what do I know.

Becton was just far too raw for me and I thought he would get the qb killed last year. He vastly surpassed my expectations. So I like him a lot now. He has the ceiling to be the #1 LT of that class and top 5 in the league. Can he reach it? Who knows. His work ethic and maturity are definitely a question mark for me.  His weight however is not. He was in fantastic shape in the preseason and looked like he worked his ass off in the off-season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

The thing that worries me most about Becton, is that with the exception of his last year in college when his coaches challenged him hard, is I don’t think he has ever been in shape to play a full game of football.

Go back and look at how many times he tapped out and raised his hand to get off the field. He can’t overpower guys just with his size on this level the way he did in school.

Did he have a single game last year where he played every snap?