There is more than one problem with Mecki Becton

Alka

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

He’s a headcase and not built for football seemingly mentally or physically. Is what it is. Maybe he grows up.Chalk it up to covid screwing up the interview/draft process last year. He failed a drug test before the draft too.

Worry is this guy is not a student of the game and may not understand the committment. Injuries can happen. But we are well over 8 weeks and he hasn;t practiced. People on site sometimes spoke ill of Brick, but the guy never missed a practice. There's a lot to be said for showing up every day,a nd speaks to a guy who loved his job. And looks like Becton simply doesn't have that work ethic. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Alka said:

I was wrong.  The estimated timeline for Becton's recovery was 4-6 weeks, not 4-8 weeks as I thought.  

He's been out 9 weeks now.  

D'Brickashaw Ferguson I believe missed 1 play in his entire career.  He was lucky for sure, but to say that it was just luck alone that he never got injured is just incorrect.  He was not prone to injury, and Becton obviously is.

We will agree to disagree, but it is obvious to me that certain players have a propensity of getting injured, and Becton fits into that category.  You may disagree, and that's okay with me.

you guys are reading it wrong...

its not 4-6 weeks.... its 4+6 weeks = 10 weeks.. lol

• Haha 1

the OL has played really well without him.

this is one reason you dont waste 1st rd picks on the OL.

we are doing just fine with Fant a UDFA and Moses a 3rd rd pick. with a Center who was a 5th rd pick and Tadiff a 6th rd pick.

instead we pick Becton and passed on Juedy, Jefferson, Lamb, Higgins  and Pittman. and Why? because it was a deep WR draft, we were going to get someone good.( Mims)

yeah, hows that working out for us? 

now i hear the same about this years draft. trade back we will get a good Edge rushers, this draft is deep with them.

SMH. and draft another OL... SMH

i hopes he comes back an is a great player but we need to stop with this drafting OL in the 1st or even 2nd rd. every time we do we miss out on impact players.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Alka said:

I get getting injured this time was not his fault.  Him getting injured multiple times may not even be his fault, although some players seem to have a propensity for getting injured, and Becton seems to fit into that narrative.

The other problem with Becton has to do with his ability to heal and get back on the field.  He was supposed to miss 4-8 weeks I believe, and this Sunday will be week #9.  

Where the hell is Becton?  I assumed he would use the full 8 weeks to heal, but we are over that number, and it seems to be the way it is with Becton.

I now wish we would have taken another tackle in the draft.  

Jets fans are eternal in their hope that this will be the last injury that Becton has, and that he will become the dominant tackle we hoped he would be.  I want to believe this as well, but I'm losing my confidence.

Did Becton say 4-8 weeks? Did the medical staff? Coaching staff? Random non-qualified guy on Twitter?

I work in IT. When someone makes an estimate based on assumptions and incomplete information, people remember it. When the actual work turns out to take twice as long because none of the assumptions hold true, people blame the guy doing the work, not the guy who gave the estimate.

IMHO teams should shut the hell up about recovery times. "He'll be back when he's healthy, meanwhile we roll with the next man up".  People heal at different rates. Hell, even a cold in my house takes me about 1 day to get over, and 2 weeks for my wife. :D  

• Upvote 3

Lmaoo this place is a cesspool of sh*t takes. This Reminds me of Quinnen Williams all over again. 

i notice all the ed oliver nut huggers we had here have been super quiet 

but I expect nothing less.  from the same crowd of people who claimed the jets where hiding zach wilson cause he needed 2 extra weeks to recover. Who still clearly isnt even a 100%. 

8 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

What a disaster it would be if we need to use another high #1 on Neal two years after taking this guy.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t, but I just can’t see Douglas doing it.

Taking neal regardless of becton isnt a bad idea. The Oline could use another Monster to go along with Becton and AVT. And Neal is one of top 3- 4 players in this class.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, doitny said:

we are doing just fine with Fant a UDFA and Moses a 3rd rd pick. with a Center who was a 5th rd pick and Tadiff a 6th rd pick.

instead we pick Becton and passed on Juedy, Jefferson, Lamb, Higgins  and Pittman. and Why? because it was a deep WR draft, we were going to get someone good.( Mims)

now i hear the same about this years draft. trade back we will get a good Edge rushers, this draft is deep with them.

i hopes he comes back an is a great player but we need to stop with this drafting OL in the 1st or even 2nd rd. every time we do we miss out on impact players.

Imagine going through mac era and spewing this crap bout not drafting a Olineman in rd 1 or rd2.. the good ones don’t even make it to rd 2 unless they got medical flags . 

10 hours ago, Alka said:

He's not even showing up on the injury report!  Why would that be?  If he is doing field drills and working back into playing shape, we should be able to see his name.  4-8 week injury, and in week #9, he name doesn't make it even on the report.  

Thanks for that info; obviously I didn't see that.  It's something at least.

I dont recall Coach ever stating he’d be back in a month.  Ever.   Can you show me where he said that?  

11 hours ago, Alka said:

I get getting injured this time was not his fault.  Him getting injured multiple times may not even be his fault, although some players seem to have a propensity for getting injured, and Becton seems to fit into that narrative.

The other problem with Becton has to do with his ability to heal and get back on the field.  He was supposed to miss 4-8 weeks I believe, and this Sunday will be week #9.  

Where the hell is Becton?  I assumed he would use the full 8 weeks to heal, but we are over that number, and it seems to be the way it is with Becton.

I now wish we would have taken another tackle in the draft.  

Jets fans are eternal in their hope that this will be the last injury that Becton has, and that he will become the dominant tackle we hoped he would be.  I want to believe this as well, but I'm losing my confidence.

The main problem is Becton is a horrible scheme fit for this NY Jets offense, he was drafted for Gase’s let’s throw sh*t at the wall and see if it sticks scheme, he no good for a Shannahan blocking scheme such a shame.

36 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The main problem is Becton is a horrible scheme fit for this NY Jets offense, he was drafted for Gase’s let’s throw sh*t at the wall and see if it sticks scheme, he no good for a Shannahan blocking scheme such a shame.

And yet he was playing good football in the panthers game before he got hurt. 

7 hours ago, Bugg said:

Worry is this guy is not a student of the game and may not understand the committment. Injuries can happen. But we are well over 8 weeks and he hasn;t practiced. People on site sometimes spoke ill of Brick, but the guy never missed a practice. There's a lot to be said for showing up every day,a nd speaks to a guy who loved his job. And looks like Becton simply doesn't have that work ethic. 

“He is working. He’s working relentlessly,” Saleh said. “He does [need] to get out on the field so he can run and get back into football playing shape. But, it’s not from a lack of going through his rehab and attacking it the way he knows how.

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

And yet he was playing good football in the panthers game before he got hurt. 

I never said he wasn’t playing good, or not working hard.  I just feel the Jets can scheme better towards his strengths he can be a weapon in the run game when healthy.

13 hours ago, ZachEY said:

It's wild that you're not hearing anything about a timeline at this point.

Would anyone be surprised at this point if he's done for the year?

As soon as Saleh mentioned him being pushed back I was shocked that nobody on the beat asked if there was a chance he'd miss the whole season.

7 hours ago, doitny said:

The last time the Jets were any good they had 4 first round picks on the OL.  They almost went to the SB with a QB who had a hard time completing 50% of his passes and averaged less than a TD pass per game.

• Upvote 3

I saw a mock draft where the Jets took Hutchinson and Neal.  I would love that.  Let Moses walk (Moses would want at least a much as Neal and Becton would make) and keep Fant for another year while we develop a backup Tackle who can then take over for Becton.  

If I were the Johnsons, based on what I have seen there is no way I would pay Becton a second contract.  They were not paying Robbie, and I don’t think they pay Quinnen.  That needs to be a first round draft requirement-do they have the character and work ethic to make a second investment in?  Wilson, Avt and Moore do.  Wilson just needs to play better. 

8 hours ago, doitny said:

I don't know.

It's not about just being good.  Becton was supposed to be a dominant run blocker - in theory the run game with him and AVT would be blowing people off the line and creating a dominant run game.  

Problem is Becton was a miss - just like taking a WR in the first round that's a bust.  It happens.

Nothing wrong with taking OL in the 1st - you just have to hit on them.  

Our WR's have been good too, without using a 1st round pick - just no one dominant, same deal.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Bugg said:

When you're talking about the top 0.001% of humans from a physical perspective, the mental aspect is usually the deciding factor.

Look at a guy like Jarvis Landry -- one of my favorite players -- odds are there are posters here that could outperform him in some of the combine drills but the guy is a freaking competitor that plays way beyond his athletic gifts.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, doitny said:

The Jets' problem offensively is the running game, which falls squarely on the OL. Fant has been OK, gets no push against the DL. Moses hasn't been good at all. Here's hoping LDT becomes a fixture because GVR was atrocious, but I am not holding my breath that LDT will. 

• WTF? 2

58 minutes ago, Claymation said:

The Jets' problem offensively is the running game, which falls squarely on the OL. Fant has been OK, gets no push against the DL. Moses hasn't been good at all. Here's hoping LDT becomes a fixture because GVR was atrocious, but I am not holding my breath that LDT will. 

15. NEW YORK JETS (UP 1)

Best-graded: C Connor McGovern | 73.1
Worst-graded: G Greg Van Roten | 63.0

The Jets' offensive line has been a pleasant surprise this season and may continue to look better if rookie quarterback Zach Wilson is forced from the starting lineup for a while. Wilson has one of the league’s longest average times to throw and has not been helping his line look good. Both Mike White and Josh Johnson were immediately better in that area. This unit has been particularly good as a run-blocking line, ranking 10th league-wide with a 78.5 PFF grade in that facet. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jgb said:

When you're talking about the top 0.001% of humans from a physical perspective, the mental aspect is usually the deciding factor.

Look at a guy like Jarvis Landry -- one of my favorite players -- odds are there are posters here that could outperform him in some of the combine drills but the guy is a freaking competitor that plays way beyond his athletic gifts.

Again, Brick wasn't as big as this Becton. But he worked, and showed up every day. Either he loved the game or he had a great work ethic or both. You could not ask more from a guy in that position. Same is true of Jonathan Ogden and Walter Jones. I am not seeing that with Becton. Now may be Becton grows up a bunch.  Think of a guy like Bryan Thomas; had some serious maturity issues in his 1st season,but went on to be a decent professional. But so far this isn't encouraging. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

15. NEW YORK JETS (UP 1)

The Jets' offensive line has been a pleasant surprise this season and may continue to look better if rookie quarterback Zach Wilson is forced from the starting lineup for a while. Wilson has one of the league’s longest average times to throw and has not been helping his line look good. Both Mike White and Josh Johnson were immediately better in that area. This unit has been particularly good as a run-blocking line, ranking 10th league-wide with a 78.5 PFF grade in that facet. 

Without a decent running attack, the Texans game would have been a loss. Because they got practically nothing from Wilson passing. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

The last time the Jets were any good they had 4 first round picks on the OL.  They almost went to the SB with a QB who had a hard time completing 50% of his passes and averaged less than a TD pass per game.

yeah and 2 of them were drafted by other teams. we should thank them for using there 1st rd draft capital on them for us. we use a 3rd 1st on the OL someone will be thanking us cause were not resigning all 3. 

we WOULD have went to a SB if we drafted TE Vernon Davis who was taken at 6th instead of Brick. there were also 2 guys taken in the 2nd and 4th rds who played more games and went to more PBs then Brick.

point is you can find OL all over the place and they dont have to be as good as Brick for us to win.

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

15. NEW YORK JETS (UP 1)

The Jets are 29th in rushing this year.

Their yards per carry is 28th, but has seen an uptick to 4.4 that last 3 games.

The Jets average stuffed out of 9.5 carries for 6th worst in the league.

I understand many people use PFF grading system to evaluate players and team rankings, but when a team is producing poorly statistically you have to question how they are coming up with these rankings. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Claymation said:

The Jets are 29th in rushing this year.

Their yards per carry is 28th, but has seen an uptick to 4.4 that last 3 games.

The Jets average stuffed out of 9.5 carries for 6th worst in the league.

I understand many people use PFF grading system to evaluate players and team rankings, but when a team is producing poorly statistically you have to question how they are coming up with these rankings. 

I understand this criticism in regard to their ratings. But in a ranking every slot has to be filled with somebody. 

5 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Imagine going through mac era and spewing this crap bout not drafting a Olineman in rd 1 or rd2.. the good ones don’t even make it to rd 2 unless they got medical flags . 

our  line is playing well and all but AVT made it pass there. the whole NFL is full of teams who have zero or one 1ST rd pick on the OL. including the best teams and HCs.

we go OL again in the 1st we will join Detroit and Atlanta as the only other teams to do it. wanna be like them?

there no coincidence the best run teams dont keep using there 1st rd picks on the OL.

one is ok, 2 is more than enough.... 3 is just crazy.

16 hours ago, Alka said:

You see, this is the point of my thread.  We are hearing nothing about Mecki Becton, and I don't even hear or see the news media asking any questions about him.  It is very discouraging, and I wonder if the Jets should resign Moses to play right tackle, and have Fant or Moses ready to play left tackle for next year, when, not if, Becton gets hort again.  

The Jets need an insurance policy for Becton, because they just can't afford to go into next season with Moses walking, and hoping that Becton can stay healthy for an entire year, which I seriously doubt.

Whether Becton is healthy or not, I think should try to re-sign Moses (at the very least, he's a good depth piece, but most likely would see some starting time next year) if we're not drafting someone early in the draft.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

our  line is playing well and all but AVT made it pass there. the whole NFL is full of teams who have zero or one 1ST rd pick on the OL. including the best teams and HCs.

we go OL again in the 1st we will join Detroit and Atlanta as the only other teams to do it. wanna be like them?

there no coincidence the best run teams dont keep using there 1st rd picks on the OL.

one is ok, 2 is more than enough.... 3 is just crazy.

But how can we ever evaluate Zach Wilson without a OL filled with first rounders??

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't know.

It's not about just being good.  Becton was supposed to be a dominant run blocker - in theory the run game with him and AVT would be blowing people off the line and creating a dominant run game.  

Problem is Becton was a miss - just like taking a WR in the first round that's a bust.  It happens.

Nothing wrong with taking OL in the 1st - you just have to hit on them.  

Our WR's have been good too, without using a 1st round pick - just no one dominant, same deal.  

your right a bust is a bust. but what if you hit on the player? there are holes everywhere on this team and if i had to grade the Positions the OL and WR are the 2 best we have. 

wouldnt you rather have a dominant WR or Edge instead of OL. you cant draft all 1st rd guys. a good HC will blitz and line up his best pass rusher at you weakest OL and make that 1st rd pick useless. 

most of the entire league has zero or one 1st rd pick on the OL. maybe 6-7 have 2. the 2 worst teams in the league have 3 (Atl, Det). i think the rest of the league is on to something. 

and when Atl went to the SB a few years ago they had only one. now there sucking and have 3.