There is more than one problem with Mecki Becton

Alka

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

But how can we ever evaluate Zach Wilson without a OL filled with first rounders??

this OL is good enough for White, Flacco and Johnson to play well. its plenty good for Wilson. we have 5 first rd picks in 3 years and were going to WASTE 3 on the OL and people want to know why we suck.

i bet anything Belichick, Ried, Ozzie would never go that far. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, sciond said:

Actually I watched kris Jenkins a lot as I live in CLT..he had years of greatness...in this case we have none to speak of yet

Met Kris on a rental car shuttle at CLT airport back when he was a Jet. This was like 3 months after he tore his ACL. He was with his fiancee/wife. Very nice guy. We were the only 3 people on the shuttle. He was not surprised to be recognized in Charlotte but when I told him I was a Jet fan that kind of threw him back.

Mike Mac spent 5 years not drafting OL high...taking a couple of guys later (Edoga was his earliest...in the late 3rd round) and signing free agents.  The line was terrible.

You can point out examples of teams with good OL without drafting OL early, but also teams like Mac's Jets OL that were terrible.  The last great Jets OL had first rounders they took in D'Brick and Mangold, then later acquired Woody and then Fanca as FA to bolster the line. They were both first rounders. So that great OL had four first rounders on it.  IIRC, Faneca was expensive and they later let him go, starting the line's deterioration.

As for Becton, I don't think the Jets should "give up" on him, but if he misses the whole season, or returns and gets hurt again, they should also not count on him for next year.  Even if the he returns and looks okay, the team could use a young OT.  They could probably get a very good starting prospect even in the 2nd round.  The draft looks very deep at OT, so no need to take one in the first.

I'm still banging the drum for Linderbaum b/c he's head and shoulders the best C in the draft (I think PFF is saying he's the best C prospect they've ever rated).  He's being widely mocked around picks 5-10 in the first round.  I get the Jets should look to take Thibs or Hutchinson first, but if they are gone, I hope the Jets target Linderbaum and slide McGovern to RG.  Taking Linderbaum would improve two spots on the OL at once.

Of course, if the Jets and Seattle win another game or two each, the Jets may miss out on all those guys.

3 minutes ago, Claymation said:

The OL needs to improve in the run game. Stats back up my statements. They don't need 1st rounders per say, they need better run blockers.

that's all im saying pal. everyone in the league that's any good don't have more than 1 and a few ok teams that never really go anywhere have 2, and the 2 worst including Detroit who is probably the worst in History have 3.

i bet if you have the grades for the best run OLs they don't have 2 or they just ok teams that make the playoffs once in a blue moon and not every year.

I'm not in the dump him in the trash camp, but at this point there needs to be a contingency plan. 

I remember before the season, in response to some weight question, Salah said basically that he wants him as big as possible without slowing him down. I wonder if the inverse would be better in the long run. 

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Met Kris on a rental car shuttle at CLT airport back when he was a Jet. This was like 3 months after he tore his ACL. He was with his fiancee/wife. Very nice guy. We were the only 3 people on the shuttle. He was not surprised to be recognized in Charlotte but when I told him I was a Jet fan that kind of threw him back.

Hey...Good for you.

I find this hard to say without sounds condescending, but I'm proud of you!

(not about meeting Kris, that's cool)

55 minutes ago, Claymation said:

The OL needs to improve in the run game. Stats back up my statements. They don't need 1st rounders per say, they need better run blockers.

PFF is not infallible but messageboard posters have been known to lead with the heart. If PFF has the Jets OL ranked as the #10 run-blocking unit, that's good enough to me to know they hardly suck and are not the primary -- or even a major -- part of the offense's woes. I believe JD will agree with me and does not draft more OL help in the first come April.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

yeah and 2 of them were drafted by other teams. we should thank them for using there 1st rd draft capital on them for us. we use a 3rd 1st on the OL someone will be thanking us cause were not resigning all 3. 

we WOULD have went to a SB if we drafted TE Vernon Davis who was taken at 6th instead of Brick. there were also 2 guys taken in the 2nd and 4th rds who played more games and went to more PBs then Brick.

point is you can find OL all over the place and they dont have to be as good as Brick for us to win.

So wait for other teams to draft linemen in the first round and sign them when they're free agents?

46 minutes ago, jgb said:

There is quite a few of us here in CLT.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Claymation said:

apparently the line is better rated in run blocking than pass blocking.  so i hate to back the wilson hating @jgb but they're doing fine in the run game.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

PFF is not infallible but messageboard posters have been known to lead with the heart. If PFF has the Jets OL ranked as the #10 run-blocking unit, that's good enough to me to know they hardly suck and are the primary -- or even a major -- part of the offense's woes. I believe JD will agree with me and does not draft more OL help in the first come April.

6 minutes ago, heymangold said:

apparently the line is better rated in run blocking than pass blocking.  so i hate to back the wilson hating @jgb but they're doing fine in the run game.

I hate the sin, not the sinner. The sin here being the league's worst NFL QB. Let's hope he repents!

The one exception is Geno Smith. I do hate him on a personal level.

Becton’s a mentally weak underachiever. Just like the next guy Douglas burned a high draft pick on, Denzel Mims. These guys epitomize the type of player you just don’t want on your team.

The 2021 draft looks mostly good, but I won’t forgive Douglas for blowing the entire 2020 draft except for a solid CB. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, doitny said:

this OL is good enough for White, Flacco and Johnson to play well. its plenty good for Wilson. we have 5 first rd picks in 3 years and were going to WASTE 3 on the OL and people want to know why we suck.

i bet anything Belichick, Ried, Ozzie would never go that far. 

Who would you suggest the Jets take in the 1st round? An Edge and who else?

18 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Nope.  Wouldn't surprise me a bit.  The bigger concern is that this guy hits 4 bills in the offseason weight-wise.

If JD just happens to read this here is my message.....  You don't have to avoid taking a LT in the Draft just to double down on your belief in Becton.  It wouldn't be an admission that drafting Becton was a failure (because it wasn't IMO).  On the contrary, it would show that you understand the value of LT especially with a young QB.  It would show that you know it's difficult to find premier LT's so when you're at the top of the Draft with two picks it's not a bad place to take one.  It would show that you recognize you were both smart AND lucky to have Fant AND Morgan Moses this year because both are playing well, but one is a FA at the end of the season and the other has just one year left under contract.  The probability might be low but's not zero that the Jets have none of Becton, Fant, Moses available to play in 2023.  Take the best available OT you can get, Joe... and then figure out what to do with Becton afterwards.  If it's a guy like Evan Neal (my dream!) then he plays RG next year if Becton is back at LT.  Get a LT on a rookie deal while Becton is heading into his 3rd year.  Time flies and a decision on Becton's option year isn't THAT far off.

yep, i wouldn't be surprised if the jets took another tackle with one of the first rounders.  as you say not an admission that becton is out or was the wrong choice but that things change and teams have to adapt.  lucky this is coming to a head this season when they have 4 picks in the top 50.  and there's still a good chance becton will play this season.

36 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Becton’s a mentally weak underachiever. Just like the next guy Douglas burned a high draft pick on, Denzel Mims. These guys epitomize the type of player you just don’t want on your team.

The 2021 draft looks mostly good, but I won’t forgive Douglas for blowing the entire 2020 draft except for a solid CB. 

We really needed that draft for the rebuild and it really set us back. Aka why we are so bad this year. 

Is it just me or do I feel JD is better at getting UDFA then actually drafting guys 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Becton played 22 games at right tackle in college. Any chance they play him at RT in 2022? Left tackle is the more important tackle position, unless you have a lefty QB. I am not mad if the Jets draft another tackle in the 2nd round and later. 

The injury situation could present the perfect opportunity to draft another tackle high in the draft and move the big fella to the right side.  I wouldn't be opposed to this.

• Upvote 2

The way I see it going is we have Becton under contract for next year, Fant under contract for next year (at starter type money), and Moses is a FA. We'll likely not resign Moses unless he comes cheap; that leaves us with two starters - one of which has had injury concerns this year - and little to no depth. (Edoga is OK at best but has also been injured and doesn't look like much of a "ceiling" guy - at this stage he most likely is what he is).

As Fant is only signed one more year you also have to look at what you do with him longer term - will he resign to play RT? Only LT? Will he want bigger money, either here or elsewhere, now he has played a significant amount at LT?

Likely outcome - purely IMHO - is that we'll pick up a mid tier vet as depth and look to draft another tackle with upside. If injuries hit you hope that the rookie can play at RT at a good enough level and have your best guy at LT; if not the FA gets the playing time at RT. If the rookie looks good enough to start in Year 2 it gives you flexibility around Fant / Becton, as you only really need one of them so can determine what to do based on injury / contracts etc. If Becton busts you pretty much have to pay Fant; if he stays healthy and plays well you can play hard ball with Fant and let him walk if need be.

Whether that rookie needs to be a Day 1 pick or not is anyone's guess - I'd assume they'd want to go Day 2 if they could, but depending on where they pick Round 1 and what the value is at those spots I'd be fine with an OT pick if he truly is the best guy available. "Worst" case you have two top OTs that you drafted both playing and a very reliable (if rather expensive) backup who can fill in at both spots for one year before he walks (hopefully leading to a comp pick in future).

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So wait for other teams to draft linemen in the first round and sign them when they're free agents?

why is the 1st rd the best guys? were doing it with only one.

did you want us to sign Thunney? he was a 3rd rd pick. 

even as everyone says that KC OL cost them the SB they didnt run out with there 1st pick ( which was late 2nd rd LB ) to get help. and then drafted Creed Humpries at 63. and then they didnt jump on Trey Smith till there last pick at 226. 

you want to draft OL with our 3rd rd pick, be my guest

and NE who lost him did they run to draft a OL in the 1st rd? no. they only have one atm. they didnt say, OMG how will our rookie QB ever throw a pass without a OL full of 1st rd picks. 

i just look around the league and see the best teams dont do it, the teams developing QBs dont do it. only 2 of the worst teams in the league who have had good QBs for a decade ( Det, Atl ) do it and go nowhere.

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

Who would you suggest the Jets take in the 1st round? An Edge and who else?

an Edge. and lets stay where we are and get the best one their and not trade down and get the 4th best.

and either go LB or even WR. you know by draft day some WR will be up there. 

when you have 2 high picks like we do we need difference makers. nobody is staying up all night trying to figure out how to get pass our Center or OL. just blitz where there not. but get that WR whos a stud, or that Edge that gives people nightmares. or that LB who tackles everything.

idk whats going on but the entire league doesnt load up on OL in the 1st but 2 pretty bad teams.