..4 pending NY Jets free agents that won't be back in 2022

rox

i doubt Crowder returns for less money.

but if Crowder does go it will be interesting to see hows Moores production goes. keep in Mind Moores improve play these last 4-5 weeks came at Coles expense. he took Coles snaps not Crowders. so Moores production has been coming out wide, not the slot.

compare the 2 numbers and Crowder has 4 yds and 2 TD less than Moore. 

maybe we should keep Moore outside. his production looks fine out there. could go down in the slot

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, varjet said:

Players with expiring contracts generally have a choice of where to sign, unless they get tagged or tendered.

Crowder is not getting tagged, and I don’t see him voluntarily signing here.  

Shepherd should have been traded, he is too old and is not getting signed.  

Jarrad was a waste of money and is not back, unless really cheap.

JD should offer Maye a nice prove it deal to compensate screwing him.  Maye should take it. 

How exactly did Maye did get screwed by JD?  By not giving him the contract he wanted, which was far above market for Maye?  How about Maye concealing his arrest from the Jets for months?  If you don't think the Jets dodged a bullet by not giving Maye a long term deal after his arrest and after his serious injury, I don't know what to say.  Good bye Marcus.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

How exactly did Maye did get screwed by JD?  By not giving him the contract he wanted, which was far above market for Maye?  How about Maye concealing his arrest from the Jets for months?  If you don't think the Jets dodged a bullet by not giving Maye a long term deal after his arrest and after his serious injury, I don't know what to say.  Good bye Marcus.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.  

My view is that franchise tagging a 29 year old safety was not cool.  Maye should have been able to get a multi year contract for his age and position. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Don't the salary, guaranteed money, and term have something to do with that?  He wanted too much money.

Pretty much.  Tbh, if I were representing the players I would only permit the FT for certain positions-qb, LT, edge.  

I guess the Broncos signed Simmons after 1 tag.  But in retrospect the Jets we’re betting off not paying Maye $10mm, and Maye was better off getting more guaranteed money (but likely less annually).  It does appear that Maye has a bad agent and bad judgment.

• Sympathy 1

My view is that franchise tagging a 29 year old safety was not cool.  Maye should have been able to get a multi year contract for his age and position. 

Definitely not a good idea to hand out big money, long term deals to safeties (or CB’s) entering their thirties. Hate to say it but not signing him to a long-term deal was a no-brainer. But he’s gotta use that money on someone.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

22 hours ago, varjet said:

The GM’s first responsibility is to the team he’s running. Tagging a safety was a relatively inexpensive way to help shore up a very young and inexperienced secondary. However much Maye may not’ve liked it, he understood the business end of it. 

Would not mind hanging on to Crowder, and Keelan Cole for that matter. Davis may get a shot to make the team after a full off-season rehab. He's still pretty young and won't draw much interest elsewhere. Same for Maye, and with Jets lack of depth at Safety why be in a hurry to run him out of town. Agree about Shephard. Don't see much value in keeping him around. A Jets roster where all four of these guys lose their spots to better players would signify a much improved roster.