Lets have fun.. Not talked about WR's in 2022

Chrebetfan80

Starting to take a look at some of the other names in the WR draft market this season, talking to some guys I know and just throwing feelers out.  Here are some names im looking at and guys im gonna dive deeper into that have been brought up to me.  I think we all agree we need more WR's on this team, and many of us have mocked guys in the first 2-3 rounds to the jets in our mocks.  However, with the amount of hole needed to fill on this team, i think its prudent to look at options outside of the conventional names we've seen thrown around.  Figured we could all share some names here.. Doesnt have to be just WR but we'll start there. This is the SLEEPER THREAD lol 

First up. Romeo Doubs, Nevada. 

I like what I see from doubs in his reps, i think he's more upside than finished product though.  You see the foot speed and body control potential to be a really good route runner once coached up, and he's a player that definitely plays faster than i think he'll time.  He's a long WR, listed at 6'2 200 with long arms and big hands.  

Not sure where I think he'll go but I think he can be a guy that will develop as an inside and outside wr who can win contested catches, stack corners deep, but also be a good target in the mid range game. 

He' has to work on route running, break points, and catch consistency as his hand mechanics are a little all over the place sometimes. 

https://youtu.be/af0eu3p2GQQ

- Erik Ezukanma, Texas Tech

You'll see a theme here early.  BIG WRS one of the thing a lot of people have been asking for is guys that can go up and win contested balls. well EE def has the size. 6'3 220 with arms that are reportedly going to measure around 33 inches. Ok so he's a big dude how does he run?  Like many Wr's he needs break point help and coming from texas tech, theres some route experience issues, but with his size he can come in and contribute right away.  The thing that stands out the most to me is his RAC potential.  For a big guy, he has insanely good balance on contact, and will break a number of tackles before going down. 

Biggest thing with EE is his route running particularly break points and release moves need work. Limited in his route running, and probably better laterally running than vertically.  He's limited in route running because of the TT offense, but i think in terms of a later round pick youre getting a guy that can do some good things for your offense. 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i5re_IjhTas" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-Samori Toure, Nebraska

Interesting prospect, maybe the most overlooked coming in.  Tore up (toure up) 2019/20 for Montana before transferring to Nebraska this year.  Things havent been the best at Nebraska, but he's still done well translating what you wanted to see when jumping up competition.  He can still win deep, which is good to see coming out of an FCS school, also too his route running continues to be very smooth, he's in and out of transitions on double moves really well.  Break points again im hyper critical not many guys in college getout in the right amount of steps, but he isnt the worst. 

Theres things to like but particularly I dont love everything I see.  One of my dudes was really high on him when he was at montana, but I worry he'll get eaten alive by nfl dbs. 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AP39JUnwL6s" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-Wan'dale Robinson, Kentucky

Sparkplug.  Thats what you need to know, kid is very quick, but with that comes pretty small.  He reminds me of Toney last year a little bit in what he can do running routes and after the catch.  He needs work on his hands (like toney did), and to clean up some route running.  He also is pretty small and thats always a question. 

In terms of the jets does he fit on the field with moore?  Same style of player, but moore is a lightyear more polished. 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TzpUF-CuG-8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Upvote 4

I'm actually very interested in Pickens (not sure he comes out) because that offense doesn't do him any favors.  I haven't gotten into scouting much this year, but I wonder if he does better in the NFL than college like McLaurin.  I saw a bunch of film where he had to come back for underthrown balls from Fromm.  

I'd like to see his testing numbers but I think he has McLaurin type upside, especially his ability to make hard catches.  

• Upvote 2

On 12/3/2021 at 2:01 PM, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Good list. Curious on your thoughts on Khalil Shakir and George Pickens? 

Not sleepers, but I've seen the Alabama guys (Metchie, Williams) fluctuate wildly in the mocks I have seen.

I actually like both.  Pickens is a little harder to nail down because he hasnt played much this year, I really like the ball tracking aspect of his game, dont know the speed but he gets deep quite a bit and seems to have strong hands. Id like to see him run a few more routes in the tree to nail down how i feel about his route running. I dont think ive seen enough of that to be conclusive of what he can be in an offense.  I dont know if he'll come out though honestly, he'd probably benefit contract wise from going back another year and putting up numbers. 

Shakir is interesting.  You look at him and you like the build, he runs after the catch really well and he definitely fits the offense with all of the jet sweeps he's done at Boise. This is probably a bad comp, but he actually reminds me a lot of Cotchery.  Solidly built, works that intermediate area well, goes up for the ball, strong kid, good after the catch.  Im not sure he has natural hands, but I havent watched enough boise to tell you if he has a drop issue. 

If they come out both could be good options for the jets.  Pickens could slide into what Mims should be doing in this offense quickly and Shakir works the intermediate well enough to nail down a spot.  Mid round guys it feels like, although pickens potential early in his career would have suggested otherwise. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

interesting build.  I havent seen him play so I have no idea, but if he possess the speed and quickness then he can prob find a role somewhere. 

I’ve watched him a couple times because I wanted to see his QB Bailey Zappe.   Sterns was 17 for 186 yards 1 TD against Michigan State.  Both Sterns and Zappe dominated their level of competition.  Sterns has a chance to be a versatile receiver, can play inside and out and has the build to kind of be a poor man’s Deebo Samuel.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I’ve watched him a couple times because I wanted to see his QB Bailey Zappe.   Sterns was 17 for 186 yards 1 TD against Michigan State.  Both Sterns and Zappe dominated their level of competition.  Sterns has a chance to be a versatile receiver, can play inside and out and has the build to kind of be a poor man’s Deebo Samuel.  

found a little tape of him.. ill be interested to see what he tests at. he didnt pop on film in terms of speed or agility from what I saw but may just be a function of the game i was watching. 

• 1 month later...

I think Jahan Dotson is better than people realize, not necessarily flashy but a smart receiver who will consistently get open at all three levels at the next level. Knows where to be and how to use his body while having great hands. Still not sure he’ll make it to our second round picks and I wouldn’t select him at 10, but im gonna hope he’s wearing the green and white and sometimes all black next year. 

2 hours ago, nickfoshizal said:

I think Jahan Dotson is better than people realize, not necessarily flashy but a smart receiver who will consistently get open at all three levels at the next level. Knows where to be and how to use his body while having great hands. Still not sure he’ll make it to our second round picks and I wouldn’t select him at 10, but im gonna hope he’s wearing the green and white and sometimes all black next year. 

He's widely considered to be a top 5 in the class, if not just outside that number... so, lol not really a sleeper. But i agree, he's a dynamo. Redundant for this team IMO, but a good prospect. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

He's widely considered to be a top 5 in the class, if not just outside that number... so, lol not really a sleeper. But i agree, he's a dynamo. Redundant for this team IMO, but a good prospect. 

When you start really diggin into your work on the WR's, check out Bo Melton from Rutgers and let me know what you think. He is the classic sleeper, played on a crap team with maybe the consistently worst QB play in the country in years. 

• Upvote 2

Am I missing something? How on earth is Dontario Drummond flying so far under the radar? I mean, for christ sakes, I'M even forgetting about him and i'm one his biggest fans... I mean, talk about your prime target for a WR on day 2, here's you man

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, PepPep said:

One of my favorites is Alec Pierce. I posted a whole thread about him. Could be a steal in the 3rd or 4th round. 

Alec Pierce 2021 Senior Season Highlights | Cincinnati Bearcats Wide Receiver | NFL Draft Prospect - YouTube

I could see our FO falling in love with Pierce - in addition to his talent on the field, he's got all the intangibles that JD and Saleh seek out.  Student of game, incredible work ethic, "love" of the game, team captain etc. etc.  He would easily take over the role Mims' was supposed to play in this offense and eventually would be Corey Davis' replacement.

Though if we took Pierce I would want to double dip at WR with an outside guy that has more speed.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I could see our FO falling in love with Pierce - in addition to his talent on the field, he's got all the intangibles that JD and Saleh seek out.  Student of game, incredible work ethic, "love" of the game, team captain etc. etc.  He would easily take over the role Mims' was supposed to play in this offense and eventually would be Corey Davis' replacement.

Though if we took Pierce I would want to double dip at WR with an outside guy that has more speed.

My thought would be to add a proven FA WR instead of double-dipping. But either way. Pierce is far from a final product and definitely far from a sure thing. I just love what he brings to the table, especially if you get him a little later on in the draft. The thing is, unless Mims does something stupid off the field (or JD gets something for him in a trade- unlikely) he will be given another chance to make the roster.

What the Jets should do, IMO, (apart from re-signing Berrios) is add a legit starter across from Davis in FA. Doesnt have to be an absolute stud, if we don't get Robinson or Adams thats fine. But a legit outside starter is all we need.       

Davis (Z), FA (X), Moore (Y), Berrios (Y/KR/PR), Pierce (X backup/developmental). This would be the ideal group if the Jets went with 5. I would love the FA 'X' to be Mike Williams or Chris Godwin.

I know Williams is not a speed guy, rather a size guy, but having him and Corey Davis with Moore in the slot and a talented TE (draft) would make our offense so, so much better. 

Conversely, Godwin IS a speed guy and would be a proven outside WR who can stretch the field. I know he dealt with injuries last year and that will always be a concern but this past year he stayed pretty healthy, playing in 14 games. 

Don't use a top 10 pick on a WR this year- draft an O-line and Edge in Rd. 1 and sign a WR in FA. JMHO. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

After an excellent senior bowl week, what is everyone's thoughts on Christian Watson? I didn't know anything about him until this week.  Looks like a good fit for our offense.  Besides his size, I love his movement skills. He looks like he's gliding out there, very smooth.  Also, versatile, used on end around, sweeps, in the slot, as a returner.

https://youtu.be/fJOzX3Zq-Mg

Not sure how to embed.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Jdub03 said:

After an excellent senior bowl week, what is everyone's thoughts on Christian Watson? I didn't know anything about him until this week.  Looks like a good fit for our offense.  Besides his size, I love his movement skills. He looks like he's gliding out there, very smooth.  Also, versatile, used on end around, sweeps, in the slot, as a returner.

Not sure how to embed.

Have become a big fan. 

On 1/17/2022 at 5:28 PM, Paradis said:

Am I missing something? How on earth is Dontario Drummond flying so far under the radar? I mean, for christ sakes, I'M even forgetting about him and i'm one his biggest fans... I mean, talk about your prime target for a WR on day 2, here's you man

Did Drummond play? Didn’t see him in the game, not in the box score. 

On 2/6/2022 at 7:28 AM, Jdub03 said:

Not sure how to embed.

Can someone who really understands this stuff let me know how Christian Watson isn't being talked about more? 

He is 6'4 - 211 lbs (senior bowl measurements) 

He apparently hit 23 mph on a GPS tracker multiple times in game and is reportedly going to run ~4.4 or less

Apparently a great blocker (just going off some scouting reports/twitter comments so not positive here) 

Did really well at the senior bowl (named top WR as voted by opposing CBs) 

And yes he played at NDSU and faced lesser competition - but look at the youtube of his highlights he is DESTROYING dudes on there. 

Versatile - he was used out of the backfield on end around - looks really smooth after the catch. 

I keep seeing stuff saying he is a day three guy - everything I just listed screams round 1 guy - but I'd be ecstatic taking him in round three and wouldn't be shocked if he ends up going higher than that. Thoughts on him? 

• Upvote 4

On 2/6/2022 at 7:28 AM, Jdub03 said:

Not sure how to embed.

Hell yea  6'5'', 210 lbs runs a 4.44

This is a kid worth taking a flyer on but I dont think that will be possible as he is moving up the ranks

Not only is he a big WR but from them tapes he is almost a rb as well

2 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Can someone who really understands this stuff let me know how Christian Watson isn't being talked about more? 

He apparently hit 23 mph on a GPS tracker multiple times in game and is reportedly going to run ~4.4 or less

Apparently a great blocker (just going off some scouting reports/twitter comments so not positive here) 

And yes he played at NDSU and faced lesser competition - but look at the youtube of his highlights he is DESTROYING dudes on there. 

Versatile - he was used out of the backfield on end around - looks really smooth after the catch. 

I keep seeing stuff saying he is a day three guy - everything I just listed screams round 1 guy - but I'd be ecstatic taking him in round three and wouldn't be shocked if he ends up going higher than that. Thoughts on him? 

I think a few guys here have been high on him--forget who it was but they sold me on him a few weeks ago.  Trey Lance's favorite target.  

I think after the Senior Bowl week he'll start moving up the boards.

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2022 at 10:30 AM, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Just stumbled on this guy going through a mock draft. Wow - huge, fast target with good hands and very good in the open field. Would love to land him in the 3rd or 4th if he's there. Combine might blow him up if he runs sub 4.4 at that size.

I wonder how he rates as a route runner. I've only see highlights.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:29 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

Just stumbled on this guy going through a mock draft. Wow - huge, fast target with good hands and very good in the open field. Would love to land him in the 3rd or 4th if he's there. Combine might blow him up if he runs sub 4.4 at that size.

I have feeling he goes in the second round after his Senior Bowl week performance. I was hoping for him to be there in the 3rd for us, probably not happening.  I've read he ran 4.4 in high school. With his size, speed, and versatility, he's becoming a favorite for me. I also like his toughness, in the video I posted you see examples where he's not afraid of contact. There's not a lot of different routes in what ive seen, unfortunately,  but that's why the senior bowl was important for him. 

Here a nice write up and video.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2022/2/10/22926992/2022-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-christian-watson-wr-north-dakota-state-scouting-reports-ny-giants

• Upvote 1

On 1/17/2022 at 2:47 PM, derp said:

Believe Skyy Moore declared, looks to me like he might “rise” a little in a class that lacks some depth. Interested in your thoughts on him.

Smaller guy, probably a slot only option.  Reading more into him people seem to think he's going to fly when he tests, top numbers in agility, change of direction, and the 40.  The thing is when I put on the tape... I dont quite see it?  like he definitely gets deep, but I dont see that EASY speed that I see with some of the other burners.  Some say he's a 4.2 guy, I dont quite see that in what I've watched which admittedly is not a ton. 

I think he can do really well in the slot, I think he's got a good idea of what he's doing and wants to do with leverage and how he eats up cushion to make his breaks.  For a guy that has not played the position a ton, its an impressive feather in the cap to have the understanding e does of certain things.  Seems to have some strong soft hands, I really like his concentration in contested situations and deep balls.  I see him as a 3rd or 4th rd guy right now unless he blowwsssss up a combine and pro day.  

For us? not sure we have a need with moore and hopefully berrios. 

On 2/10/2022 at 8:29 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

He'll climb boards.  Was arguably the most if not one of the most impressive WR's at the senior bowl.  Showed off his blocking in game a bunch.  He's a really well rounded guy.  The level of competition and what they asked him to do route wise at NDSU was not much so i think when you watch him its not the easiest projection.  Senior bowl definitely boosted his stock, a really good predraft testing process will boost it even more.  I think he's probably going to get into that mid/late 2nd conversation if he does really really well. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/18/2022 at 1:01 PM, PepPep said:

My thought would be to add a proven FA WR instead of double-dipping. But either way. Pierce is far from a final product and definitely far from a sure thing. I just love what he brings to the table, especially if you get him a little later on in the draft. The thing is, unless Mims does something stupid off the field (or JD gets something for him in a trade- unlikely) he will be given another chance to make the roster.

What the Jets should do, IMO, (apart from re-signing Berrios) is add a legit starter across from Davis in FA. Doesnt have to be an absolute stud, if we don't get Robinson or Adams thats fine. But a legit outside starter is all we need.       

Davis (Z), FA (X), Moore (Y), Berrios (Y/KR/PR), Pierce (X backup/developmental). This would be the ideal group if the Jets went with 5. I would love the FA 'X' to be Mike Williams or Chris Godwin.

I know Williams is not a speed guy, rather a size guy, but having him and Corey Davis with Moore in the slot and a talented TE (draft) would make our offense so, so much better. 

Conversely, Godwin IS a speed guy and would be a proven outside WR who can stretch the field. I know he dealt with injuries last year and that will always be a concern but this past year he stayed pretty healthy, playing in 14 games. 

Don't use a top 10 pick on a WR this year- draft an O-line and Edge in Rd. 1 and sign a WR in FA. JMHO. 

I like pierce.  I was excited to see him at the senior bowl because I felt he gave me some Eric Decker feels.  I was not impressed with him at the senior bowl though.  I watched alot of his 1v1 stuff and just didnt love what I saw. Im going to go into more of a dive on him through more film and try to get better 1v1 cut ups form the senior bowl.  But as of right now, I think I would prefer Watson over him easily

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I like pierce.  I was excited to see him at the senior bowl because I felt he gave me some Eric Decker feels.  I was not impressed with him at the senior bowl though.  I watched alot of his 1v1 stuff and just didnt love what I saw. Im going to go into more of a dive on him through more film and try to get better 1v1 cut ups form the senior bowl.  But as of right now, I think I would prefer Watson over him easily

From the small sample of cut ups I saw it looked like he struggled to secure the catch. Not sure if this was a problem thoughout the week, or just the samples I saw.  

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think I'm liking Watson more too.  A little taller, little bigger, bigger hands, faster.  

I just hope neither of these guys is Chad Hansen 2.0.  

15 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I think I'm liking Watson more too.  A little taller, little bigger, bigger hands, faster.  

I just hope neither of these guys is Chad Hansen 2.0.  

I'm more concerned that Watson isn't this years Mims. Tall, fast, good 1v1 at the senior bowl that made me think he had better route running ability than what Baylor asked. He was my 5th overall WR that year...cant believe I was so wrong. 

2 hours ago, IntoTheGreen said:

I'm more concerned that Watson isn't this years Mims. Tall, fast, good 1v1 at the senior bowl that made me think he had better route running ability than what Baylor asked. He was my 5th overall WR that year...cant believe I was so wrong. 

I also Iiked Mims coming out, and was ecstatic when he was selected. He has the physical traits, I think it's between the ears where he's struggling.  Maybe this offense from what they ask of there WRs was too difficult for him to pick up in year 1. Maybe, he didn't have the drive last year. I think we'll have our answer this year if we see a dramatic improvement. I think Watson was used in more roles than Mims was in college which tells me he has a good ability to learn and adapt.  I really like Watson in this Offense, and he gives us the vertical threat we're missing, size, plus 3 level versatility. He can be deployed out of the back field, in the slot, out wide, etc... which allows ML to be more creative.