Mims and COVID….”it was bad for a week“

Ok, let me say it.  This guy got Covid bad because he was probably not vaccinated.  

An NFL player making $100sK per game who loses time to Covid because he was not vaccinated is not making friends in management.  

I think in the end Mims is a kid with low intelligence. I think that is his problem.  And I think the GM’s job is to figure out guys like that and not draft them high.  Robby was the same way, and he was not drafted. 

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

Ok, let me say it.  This guy got Covid bad because he was probably not vaccinated.  

An NFL player making $100sK per game who loses time to Covid because he was not vaccinated is not making friends in management.  

I think in the end Mims is a kid with low intelligence. I think that is his problem.  And I think the GM’s job is to figure out guys like that and not draft them high.  Robby was the same way, and he was not drafted. 

OK  

According to Rich Cimini of ESPN.com, Mims is vaccinated, so he'll be eligible to rejoin the Jets when he's asymptomatic for at least 48 hours and has submitted consecutive negative tests at least 24 hours apart.Nov 9, 2021

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

Now that you said it, and you were wrong. Now what?

What gives you the idea that Mims is low intelligence?

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

This.  He's on his rookie contract, still tall, still physical, still fast, still a wide catch radius.  Don't know what his issues truly are but he's been dealt or dealt himself a really bad hand this year. 

A few bad hands.

As  a Jet fan, I'm still rooting for him.  Would be nice if our 2nd round pick worked out for us.  

Is he physical? not a hater but that is not one trait I have seen from him

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Now that you said it, and you were wrong. Now what?

What gives you the idea that Mims is low intelligence?

Probably the news that Mims doesn't know where to line up.  We don't know how true that is.

Mims did average on the Wonderlic compared to his peers.

JD should be embarrassed looking at this list. 

It was almost impossible to draft a bust WR in 2020, but JD did it.

NFL Draft Wonderlic Scores by Wide Receiver 2020

14. Jerry Jeudy Wonderlic Score: (9)

Alabama Crimson Tide

13. Tee Higgins Wonderlic Score: (11)

Clemson Tigers

12. Van Jefferson Wonderlic Score: (12)

Florida Gators

11. CeeDee Lamb Wonderlic Score: (12)

Oklahoma Sooners

10. Jalen Reagor Wonderlic Score: (13)

TCU Horned Frogs

9. Laviska Shenault Wonderlic Score: (14)

Colorado Buffaloes

8. K.J. Hamler Wonderlic Score: (15)

Penn State Nittany Lions

7. Denzel Mims Wonderlic Score: (17)

Baylor Bears

6. Justin Jefferson Wonderlic Score: (19)

LSU Tigers

5. Henry Ruggs Wonderlic Score: (20)

Alabama Crimson Tide

4. Brandon Aiyuk Wonderlic Score: (23)

Arizona State Sun Devils

3. Chase Claypool Wonderlic Score: (27)

Notre Dame Fighting Irish

2. Bryan Edwards Wonderlic Score: (28)

South Carolina Gamecocks

1. Michael Pittman Wonderlic Score: (29)

USC Trojans

3 hours ago, Hex said:

A second round draft pick is usually in the top 64 players picked, out of many, many colleges. They aren't expected to be great, like 1st rounders, but they aren't expected to suck. The players that suck usually aren't drafted. If I were to re-draft Mims, right now, he would probably go in the 6th or 7th round (in my opinion).

Second round picks are usually pretty dang good. I think teams expect to hit on a long term player/contributor. 

And if we're talking about WRs, there are lots of solid wideouts taken in rounds 2-4. Mims has first round size and speed, but teams were passing on him for a reason. This is on JD's team and lack of due diligence in evaluation.

Tough love hasn’t worked. Time to give this guy a jackpot and see if it helps.  

A jackpot is you give someone having a hard time a big unexpected reward for no reason.  It can be super effective with people who feel under appreciated.  

The jackpot receiver often forgives the things that pissed them off and brought out their bad behavior to begin with.  It can be a fresh start and bring the passion back from the jackpot receiver.    

Jackpots - great for for disgruntled employees; teenagers and unmotivated WRs or your money back! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Tough love hasn’t worked. Time to give this guy a jackpot and see if it helps.  

A jackpot is you give someone having a hard time a big unexpected reward for no reason.  It can be super effective with people who feel under appreciated.  

The jackpot receiver often forgives the things that pissed them off and brought out their bad behavior to begin with.  It can be a fresh start and bring the passion back from the jackpot receiver.    

Jackpots - great for for disgruntled employees; teenagers and unmotivated WRs or your money back! 

???

I have preached patience about this coaching staff. However, if they all of a sudden put Mims as a starting or top receiver, I'm done. Fire them on the spot. 

What competent professional leader or coach is going to move a mediocre or questionable employee (or one who should be out the door) to a key position?  

I would never give an underperforming employee a raise or a bonus (or a "jackpot," whatever that is that you're referring to). That would be utter incompetence.

It is time this team actually practices tough love, meaning, cut the guy.

• Thumb Down 1

19 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

???

I have preached patience about this coaching staff. However, if they all of a sudden put Mims as a starting or top receiver, I'm done. Fire them on the spot. 

What competent professional leader or coach is going to move a mediocre or questionable employee (or one who should be out the door) to a key position?  

I would never give an underperforming employee a raise or a bonus (or a "jackpot," whatever that is that you're referring to). That would be utter incompetence.

What would it hurt if they actually played him while Davis is out. This is not a year where we are going anywhere. Play the kid consistently for the rest of the season. If after that, he doesn't pan out then by all means cut him.

Evaluation is key for this team, and not just in practice. We've all heard what great weeks of practices players on this team have had, only to go out on the field and lay a DUD...

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

???

I think jackpot was simply bad wording, as he wasnt implying anything financial (especially not saying a new contract).  What I believe the poster meant, and what I agree with, is get Mims out there and give him an opportunity for his play to speak for him.

Tough love does NOT work with everyone, and to keep a guy on the bench because he doesnt do something "your way" is actually bad leadership.  Its LaFleur's job to get the most out of his guys, and if corey davis is hurt then get Mims out there and run 2-3 plays that play to his strengths.  Just because you run one type of offense, doesnt mean we cant run a couple back shoulder throws vs the eagles. 

Maybe he isnt the smartest player. Maybe he is a body catcher instead of hands.  But he may also be tall and fast so lets see if he can make plays in actual games before writing him off.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Hex said:

A second round draft pick is usually in the top 64 players picked, out of many, many colleges. They aren't expected to be great, like 1st rounders, but they aren't expected to suck. The players that suck usually aren't drafted. If I were to re-draft Mims, right now, he would probably go in the 6th or 7th round (in my opinion).

Second rounders are usually first round talents with a (somewhat) major flaw. 

In Mims's case, it's that he has Rock Hudson's immune system.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Second rounders are usually first round talents with a (somewhat) major flaw. 

In Mims's case, it's that he has Rock Hudson's immune system.

I would also add that he tends to catch with his chest, but I think that's fixable. The fact that Mims wasn't active a lot of the time he wasn't sick was another reason why I think he should have been drafted in later rounds, but I see your point.

21 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's a $150+ hoodie from an L.A. "street clothes" designer whose line was once heavily sought out because they took months to ship. Mims here may be little more than being a fashion brand follower. Or it shows that he's under a lot of stress while suffering from depression. One of those two things.  

Most likely he's just trying to be fashionable in his own way, mixed in with a little bit of I-want-attention; not anything telltale about truly serious neck-up struggles. 

This.

He may simply relate to the anti social social club part of it though.

Or he may see it as a small way of supporting and/or bringing attention to mental health.

Who knows. Only our fans would obsess about it though… speaking of mental health.

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I am also stressed and depressed, and have poor hand-eye coordination.

21 hours ago, New York Mick said:

As often as you masturbate you’d think it would be better. 

Holding tweezers for 30 seconds, four times a day would make me stressed and depressed too.

Teary-eyed and sticky fingered?

Shave your palms @TomShane

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

What would it hurt if they actually played him while Davis is out. This is not a year where we are going anywhere. Play the kid consistently for the rest of the season. If after that, he doesn't pan out then by all means cut him.

Evaluation is key for this team, and not just in practice. We've all heard what great weeks of practices players on this team have had, only to go out on the field and lay a DUD...

Sure. play him and try him out a bit. The post I responded to talked about giving him a "jackpot" prize. Sounded nuts.

I agree with your assessment here though.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BCJet said:

I think jackpot was simply bad wording, as he wasnt implying anything financial (especially not saying a new contract).  What I believe the poster meant, and what I agree with, is get Mims out there and give him an opportunity for his play to speak for him.

Tough love does NOT work with everyone, and to keep a guy on the bench because he doesnt do something "your way" is actually bad leadership.  Its LaFleur's job to get the most out of his guys, and if corey davis is hurt then get Mims out there and run 2-3 plays that play to his strengths.  Just because you run one type of offense, doesnt mean we cant run a couple back shoulder throws vs the eagles. 

Maybe he isnt the smartest player. Maybe he is a body catcher instead of hands.  But he may also be tall and fast so lets see if he can make plays in actual games before writing him off.

I don't totally disagree. But what I think might be happening is: The coaches have decided he's not part of the long term plan. Not that it's right or wrong, it just is. So, why play him? 

I actually think the issue is that they don't trade or cut him so that he can move on and find a better fit for him, and so that the team can step messing with Mims questions. Maybe JD is trying to play games and wait and see if he can get value. But I think at this point it should be done.

However, if the team wants him to develop, they are absolutely going about it the wrong way. If he's staying with the team, the Jets should be doing exactly what you've outlined.

Seriously though on Mims, he dropped for a reason. You don't have to look much further than his very first interview as he was drafted.

To me he immediately appeared to be a malcontent. I initially thought he was angry cuz he dropped further than he should have or so he thought.

To me he seemed to give off a negative vibe, and obviously hasn't had a good start to his career.

Obviously he was the biggest name at his position where we took him but there were better wide receivers still on the board. I think JD may have slipped up a little bit looking at the big picture of "his" draft?

I have nothing personal against the kid and hope he works out, if not trade bait City-

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I have a t-shirt that says, “Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.”

Yet, I’m the type of guy that pulls to the side of the road, corrals a lost dog, bring him in, and finds a way to return him to his owner.

Please analysizerate me.

Thanks for returning the poor dog to his owner who runs a Korean restaurant.  You evil bastard.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, varjet said:

Speaking of “low intelligence” It’s not hard to do 2 seconds of research before spewing out your ignorance.  Edit I see that other posters corrected you and you still haven’t responded. 

E41B9956-5183-46DD-8037-4D428AE90DA1.png

• Upvote 2

Dude this guy is hot trash. He looks lost all the time. Half the time he’s running out late for plays that he’s actually in, he’s got other WR’s constantly telling him where to line up, and he just runs lazy all over the field. He’s gonna have to figure out his priorities real fast or he’s gonna be out of the league.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Denzel Mims is a waste of a roster spot and the Jets know it.  They tried some motivational tactics, which have obviously failed.  

He won’t make the team next year and will be fortunate to crack some other team’s practice squad.  

I have to agree w/ this.  He got a ton of snaps today and did nothing w/ them.  Isnt he a vertical guy?  Not sure why once a game we cant have him run a go and take a shot downfield.

But at this point, hes worthless.