****OFFICIAL JETS V EAGLES MINSHOWDOWN THREAD****

T0mShane

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Of course wilson is still a “rookie”.  Middle of his rookie season and he missed a month with a knee injury.  He’s played 7 games and one of those he left early with an injury.  

He’s seen enough football to get a sense of the speed of the game, knows the playbook, has familiarity with his receivers.  The mistakes need to stop, the “rookie” excuse is just that.   Time to start looking like an NFL QB.  Rookies can play well, there is no reason for Zach to go out there and look clueless.   Stop the coddling.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Using this logic, you would have put Tom Brady back on the bench because Drew Bledsoe was so much better physically than he was.

Doubtful. I could’ve easily used Bledsoe as my example of upper mediocrity but I went with Alex Smith and Cousins, instead. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He’s seen enough football to get a sense of the speed of the game, knows the playbook, has familiarity with his receivers.  The mistakes need to stop, the “rookie” excuse is just that.   Time to start looking like an NFL QB.  Rookies can play well, there is no reason for Zach to go out there and look clueless.   Stop the coddling.  

I agree the bonehead picks need to stop, but we started seeing that last week.  The fluky pick we still debate here, but at least he wasn’t forcing those throws downfield that were clearly ill advised throws.  Today is a great litmus for him, to just take what is available and string together first downs rather than taking unnecessary chances.  

59 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

2nd week in a row you've predicted a Jets win. Seems like you've become more positive now that you've stopped going to the bar to watch the Jets. Who's on local TV today for you? I got Chargers/Bengals and Dolphins/Giants on at 1pm and the Ravens/Steelers at 4pm. 

Oh I almost forgot.

Eagles 31 Jets 10

I’m up on Long Island until Christmas,  so I get to watch the games(yay?).

I try to convince myself to be positive before a game, but deep down I expect the worst. The Jets have turned me into the equivalent of a battered wife who tries to convince herself her husband will change. ?

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Nathan-Fillion-reaction-gif.gif&ehk=b%2B

Is this the same "logic" as the old "it's better to go 0-16 every year if you're not ready to win a Super Bowl, so when I root for losses I'm really rooting for Super Bowls!"?

All or nothing thinking like this is a route to always getting nothing.

Rooting for “decent” is being a fake fan!!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  He’s not a “rookie” anymore.  Time for the nuts to drop and he take control of this offense.   

100% agree. You summed it up perfectly.

It’s funny you put it that way. I was going to say it exactly like you just did. “at this point there are no rookies.”

It’s a little past the point of saying he needs to learn the offense, give him time for things to slow down.

He’s been getting reps since July. It’s time.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I agree the bonehead picks need to stop, but we started seeing that last week.  The fluky pick we still debate here, but at least he wasn’t forcing those throws downfield that were clearly ill advised throws.  Today is a great litmus for him, to just take what is available and string together first downs rather than taking unnecessary chances.  

At some point he needs to look like he can be a FQB in this league.  Start being a leader and show some emotion.   He looks like a sad puppy on the sidelines and the other players are completely detached from him.  He just looks soft and weak to me right now, not exactly inspiring confidence in his teammates.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

At some point he needs to look like he can be a FQB in this league.  Start being a leader and show some emotion.   He looks like a sad puppy on the sidelines and the other players are completely detached from him.  He just looks soft and weak to me right now, not exactly inspiring confidence in his teammates.  

A harsh take, not necessarily wrong. We’ve only seen him play once in the past 6 weeks, so I’d like to see more of this dynamic before making a conclusion in this regard.  More than anything he’s just got to get rid of the ball quicker and accept that most pass plays are a success if they yield positive yards.  Don’t take stupid sacks and don’t force throws downfield after running around like it’s the last play of the game and you need a td.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Literally every team I like got pumped this weekend.

Thursday: Devils lose
Friday: Devils lose again, Oregon fb gets worked
Sat: Georgia gets manhandled, Nets lose.

I need the Jets to not disappoint me today.

How has Jack Hughes looked?

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

Rooting for “decent” is being a fake fan!!

I don’t tell people how to root. You can do whatever you like. Me? I’d rather be aggressively trying to find a true championship caliber QB over getting knocked out of the playoffs in the first round four years in a row with Andy Dalton, and then giving him $100M. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t tell people how to root. You can do whatever you like. Me? I’d rather be aggressively trying to find a true championship caliber QB over getting knocked out of the playoffs in the first round four years in a row with Andy Dalton, and then giving him $100M. 

Reductio ad absurdum

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

A harsh take, not necessarily wrong. We’ve only seen him play once in the past 6 weeks, so I’d like to see more of this dynamic before making a conclusion in this regard.  More than anything he’s just got to get rid of the ball quicker and accept that most pass plays are a success if they yield positive yards.  Don’t take stupid sacks and don’t force throws downfield after running around like it’s the last play of the game and you need a td.

Agreed.  His demeanor bothers me some right now.   He needs to act like the Alpha.  Hopefully a couple solid games instills some confidence in him.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

His insane contract makes Kaapo Kakko getting an offer sheet in July off a NY Ranger Cup run....I'll stop here. 

Idk man, the potential of Hughes is there, I don’t think 8M per for a potential stud is expensive at all.  I’m in no way saying he’s in McDavid’s stratosphere, but that dudes making 13M!  Brady Tkachuck just signed for 8.2M.  I was happy with the extension for Jack.

16 minutes ago, heymangold said:

The Bulls are such a bitch to beat. All that midrange sh*t is from the 40’s.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Having a decent to good QB locked in as your starter is arguably a worse situation than the worst QB in the league situation the Jets currently find themselves in. If Minshew could play at the level of Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins, he’d just be eating up a ton of cap space and not winning big games. As we saw with Darnold, if the QB stays bad, at least the team can unload him fairly painlessly. 

I think quite a few of us would gladly take a Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins over what we’ve had the last 10 years, and what we’re looking at now.

Calling those two mediocre is doing them a disservice imo. At any given time in this league you rarely see more than 3-4 teams with elite level play.
i’ll take a top 8-10 QB I can plug in for 10 years with a solid roster rather than throwing darts every 3 years hoping to find the next Mahomes-like unicorn and be very happy.

1 minute ago, heymangold said:

Idk man, the potential of Hughes is there, I don’t think 8M per for a potential stud is expensive at all.  I’m in no way saying he’s in McDavid’s stratosphere, but that dudes making 13M!  Brady Tkachuck just signed for 8.2M.  I was happy with the extension for Jack.

I hate the cap. And it's gonna be flat, unless like Tampa and now Vegas you can stash a superstar on IR for months and not miss him. 

Very excited about the Rangers. But they got beat up by the Flames 2X and the Caps(though those games were before they got their act together), and haven't played the Bolts nor the Canes yet. They played the Oilers tough and embarrassed the Isles and the Bruins. Cautiously optimistic. Like $100 at 30 to 1 to win the Cup optimistic. 

23 minutes ago, heymangold said:

I feel your pain.  Islanders haven't won in a month.  Nuff said about the Dawgs.  At least with the Jets, I have no expectations.  I hope they win, really want to them to end this Philly narrative.  But if they lose, they lose.  I am kind of numb to it by now.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I think quite a few of us would gladly take a Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins over what we’ve had the last 10 years, and what we’re looking at now.

Calling those two mediocre is doing them a disservice imo. At any given time in this league you rarely see more than 3-4 teams with elite level play.
i’ll take a top 8-10 QB I can plug in for 10 years with a solid roster rather than throwing darts every 3 years hoping to find the next Mahomes-like unicorn and be very happy.

That’s fine, I wouldn’t. I was legitimately thrilled when Cousins took less money to choke in Minnesota. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I feel the same way. I would rather lose and see Zach develop, than win and feel totally confused about Zach, like the win against the Texans.

This is something I see a lot here. It’s such a common, yet strange take a lot of you have… this “it’s only about the QB, I don’t care about anything else” theory. I don’t get it.

I go the opposite way. I’d much prefer to see our team play good defense consistently and our OL and skill players on offense look really good than have a pretty good QB and nothing else around him.

Give me a really good roster any day. I’ll find a QB. Teams can waste 40+ years looking for a superstar QB. (Don’t ask me how I know)