****OFFICIAL JETS V EAGLES MINSHOWDOWN THREAD****

T0mShane

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Again, I know you are obsessed with point differential, but that’s not the end all-be all to me 

the Jets have had several games where they were noncompetitive, but have had more complete performances.

I’ll wait until the end of the year to compare teams at the bottom of the league 

Sooo...

Defense very bad.  I know that key injuries and a very thin bench are a big part of the story.  But the coaches should still be able to devise a plan that responds to all that and at least gives who's left a fighting chance.  But it seems like they are committed to a program come hell or high water and are willing for it to be hell.  Kind of shows you the gap between a coach like Belichick and the rest including Saleh.  I don't think "I don't have all the right guys" is a valid excuse.  To me, you coach to the talent you have and the Jets' coaches haven't shown that flexibility, really at all.  And that explains the bloodbath week in and week out.

Offense... better.  Wilson showed some flashes once he got into a rhythm and didn't have to play from way behind.  Accuracy and touch are still an issue for him though.  Line wasn't great, but receivers all in all were more than adequate.

Specials?  Other than the opening return and Berrios, not much there.  Can't believe there aren't at least 32 people in the world that can accurately placekick a football.  We seem to find the ones that can't and when we find one who can, we let them walk as if these guys are a dime a dozen.

Officiating.  blah.  'Nuff said.  

• Upvote 1

So because Zach was #2 off the board that's supposed to automatically make him a top 10 QB? You guys are ******* delusional. He's not perfect but he played good enough today. I counted about 6 drops that above average WRs/RBs would make easy. Is Zach supposed to be so damn good that he can overcome the incompetence that is the entire team? I really don't get some of you dolts. 

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

I'm perfectly calm, enjoying a glass of wine.   I just hate seeing cheap thumbs down when all folks are doing is expressing themselves.   I've been posting for decades and think I've given under five neg reps.  

Not a big deal.  I’ve gotten neg repped and dont bitch about it.  Just relax dude we are both Jet fans.  We are both on the same side 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh please.  The only people who operate as if they never watch other QBs play are those who defend our sh*tty QBs all the time. 

I am a big fan of yours. You know that, but this is absolutely not true at all.  There are tons of people on this board who will praise Lawrence or Fields or Mike White or take your pick for being basically the same player Wilson is.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, Jetluv58 said:

We’ll since you’re rooting for the opposing team’s QB, your credibility is in the crapper! 

What?  lol  Right.  So if our guys can't complete a ball and lose every week we should just continue to laud them.

Look, this is difficult for all us fans, especially ones like me who have been watching this same horror flick since 1965.   For whatever reason, we are just not good at picking QBs and HCs.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If you are still having the yips in what are basically no pressure games, more than halfway through the season, and it’s in the second half of the game so not like the initial butterflies on the first drive, then when will he ever get rid of them?

Underrated post by a very levelheaded poster.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ausman said:

Sooo...

Defense very bad.  I know that key injuries and a very thin bench are a big part of the story.  But the coaches should still be able to devise a plan that responds to all that and at least gives who's left a fighting chance.  But it seems like they are committed to a program come hell or high water and are willing for it to be hell.  Kind of shows you the gap between a coach like Belichick and the rest including Saleh.  I don't think "I don't have all the right guys" is a valid excuse.  To me, you coach to the talent you have and the Jets' coaches haven't shown that flexibility, really at all.  And that explains the bloodbath week in and week out.

Offense... better.  Wilson showed some flashes once he got into a rhythm and didn't have to play from way behind.  Accuracy and touch are still an issue for him though.  Line wasn't great, but receivers all in all were more than adequate.

Specials?  Other than the opening return and Berrios, not much there.  Can't believe there aren't at least 32 people in the world that can accurately placekick a football.  We seem to find the ones that can't and when we find one who can, we let them walk as if these guys are a dime a dozen.

Officiating.  blah.  'Nuff said.  

Very Objective Analysis.  We need more of this 

• Upvote 1

I thought Zach played pretty well today. It’s a low bar but he mostly took what the defense gave him, his mechanics seemed to be improved and was decisive in his reads. While his accuracy was better, it’s not where it needs to  be.  

As for the defense.. it’s baffling. They’re pathetic against the run, and even though it’s supposed to be their secondary that’s the weak spot, it’s the screen passes, passes to the flat and opposing TEs that kill them. Blame the scheme, blame the players, who knows at this point. But it’s not an encouraging sign for a defensive minded HC.

as for those refs.. no, it didn’t change the outcome of the game, but as a fan sitting through sh*tty play, get the calls right. Having to play against the other team and the referees every week is getting old. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Mogglez said:

I had to read every week in 2018 how rushing TDs counted for Lamar and Allen.  Now they don’t count?

I kid, but Wilson isn’t running it in from 40 yards out like those two do. I get wanting to inflate his positive stats to point out that he’s not all *that* bad, but it’s fine to say that he’s thrown 6 TDs in seven starts with eleven picks. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Again, I know you are obsessed with point differential, but that’s not the end all-be all to me 

the Jets have had several games where they were noncompetitive, but have had more complete performances.

I’ll wait until the end of the year to compare teams at the bottom of the league 

It matters because of results like today. The Lions have actually been playing competitive football for the last 5 weeks now, if you haven’t noticed.  The Jets have been trending in the opposite direction.  

And like I argued all week, beating the Texans in ugly fashion was not something to be proud about because it wasn’t a sustainable way to win.  And look what happened this week…another blowout loss to a real team who didn’t even have their starting QB under center.

Its us and the Texans in the mix for worst team.  The Lions are # 30 and it’s a fairly wide gulf.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This is the part of the whole discussion that isn’t as black and white as it is often discussed.

His accuracy isn’t perfect, that is for sure.  However he’s not so wildly inaccurate that receivers have no chance to make plays.

In the 2nd half, Davis and Coleman both dropped balls that should be caught 95 times out of 100, if not more.  Ty Johnson dropped one that was slightly high, but it went right through his hands.  It’s not an easy catch, but not overly difficult either.  Miles Sanders caught a ball in the first half that was much more difficult than that and made it look easy.

There are all little things by Wilson and all the other offensive players we don’t consistently do that make the overall result frustrating.  

Except at the same time do you go back and take away credit from Wilson when wide-open receivers have to make ridiculous diving catches because of horrifically inaccurate throws?  It has to go both ways.  The reality is every QB in the league has to deal with drops and miscommunications, so it still does nothing to explain away why Wilson is regularly outperformed by backups of other teams, and the Jets own, at the position.

He did have a pretty good (although not great) first half, but the legitimate concern is that he was back to the same Zach we've seen through much of the year in the second.  I'm holding out hope he'll eventually get it all together, but excuse-making for why his terribleness is not his fault doesn't mean a thing at this point.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

And the fact that our defense is absolute horsesh*t. 

I can't remember a time when the Jets were this helpless on defense. I challenge anyone to find a game where the Jets allowed the Eagles (or any team) to score on every SINGLE drive. 

Edited by TheNuuFaaolaExperience
  • Upvote 1

Just now, shuler82 said:

I thought Zach played pretty well today. It’s a low bar but he mostly took what the defense gave him, his mechanics seemed to be improved and was decisive in his reads. While his accuracy was better, it’s not where it needs to  be.  

As for the defense.. it’s baffling. They’re pathetic against the run, and even though it’s supposed to be their secondary that’s the weak spot, it’s the screen passes, passes to the flat and opposing TEs that kill them. Blame the scheme, blame the players, who knows at this point. But it’s not an encouraging sign for a defensive minded HC.

as for those refs.. no, it didn’t change the outcome of the game, but as a fan sitting through sh*tty play, get the calls right. Having to play against the other team and the referees every week is getting old. 

The way the defense just can’t get off the field and gives up huge chunks of yards on the ground is truly baffling.  These guys, individually, just can’t be this bad.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh please.  The only people who operate as if they never watch other QBs play are those who defend our sh*tty QBs all the time. 

Guys one here mocking Minshew . He would be the best QB on the roster by a mile , would have been a cheap , good one year guy while Zach sat on the bench where he belongs …

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It matters because of results like today. The Lions have actually been playing competitive football for the last 5 weeks now, if you haven’t noticed.  The Jets have been trending in the opposite direction.  

And like I argued all week, beating the Texans in ugly fashion was not something to be proud about because it wasn’t a sustainable way to win.  And look what happened this week…another blowout loss to a real team who didn’t even have their starting QB under center.

Its us and the Texans in the mix for worst team.  The Lions are # 30 and it’s a fairly wide gulf.

The lions can get off the field on defense.  They also have a vet at qb.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I can't remember a time when the Jets were this helpless on defense. I challenge anyone to find a game where the Jets allowed the Eagles to score on every SINGLE drive. 

Seriously, they may not have been dynamic on d in a while but they could at least stop the run ok.

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Not a big deal.  I’ve gotten neg repped and dont bitch about it.  Just relax dude we are both Jet fans.  We are both on the same side 

Last from me.  It might not be obvious to you.   But neg repping for minor, opinion posts is another form of "bitching about it".  Just disagree constructively if you have a different opinion.   Have a great rest of the day.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I kid, but Wilson isn’t running it in from 40 yards out like those two do. I get wanting to inflate his positive stats to point out that he’s not all *that* bad, but it’s fine to say that he’s thrown 6 TDs in seven starts with eleven picks. 

Fair.  At the end of the day, after holding the stubborn opinion of “I want my QB to throw TDs”, I learned to accept that a score is a score through those two.  Would I, selfishly, preferred a throwing TD on the toss to Crowder that came up short a half yard away?  Ya.  Am I gonna be up upset and hold it against Zach even though he snuck in for a TD?  Nah.  He’s gotta clean up the turnovers. I think that will come with time.  Today was a good step, even if the one overthrow for an INT was frustrating to watch. 

9 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'm perfectly calm, enjoying a glass of wine.   I just hate seeing cheap thumbs down when all folks are doing is expressing themselves.   I've been posting for decades and think I've given under five neg reps.  

I think the NEG rep is BS.  Why neg rep anyone???   

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

One thing to note.

The biggest correlation between Wilson struggling in the 1st half compared to the 2nd up until this game was the amount of time the Defense was on the field. This was flipped today. He just seems to be much worse when the opposing offense is roasting us for 9 minutes. Maybe its a tempo or rhythm thing? Maybe he blows? Who knows.

9 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Getting neg repped builds character. And I should know, because I don't often get neg repped, which is why I have such little character.

Now, neg rep me and help make me a better man, Munch!

• Thumb Down 3

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Sometimes they are.   Trends are trends until the player elevates.  Often, they never do.

Exactly.  The longer this period of suckage goes on, the lower his slim odds of becoming a success drop.

Eventually you have to show SOMETHING.  Even as a rookie. 

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Last from me.  It might not be obvious to you.   But neg repping for minor, opinion posts is another form of "bitching about it".  Just disagree constructively if you have a different opinion.   Have a great rest of the day.

Again it’s not really a big deal unless you misinterpret it.  Like I said I’ve gotten it a bunch of times in my years here and don’t care.  However being called a “candyass” goes a bit too far than a neg rep don’t you think?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ultraJETfan said:

So because Zach was #2 off the board that's supposed to automatically make him a top 10 QB? You guys are ******* delusional. He's not perfect but he played good enough today. I counted about 6 drops that above average WRs/RBs would make easy. Is Zach supposed to be so damn good that he can overcome the incompetence that is the entire team? I really don't get some of you dolts. 

He never should have been starting this year …a lot of us were saying that over the summer . It was obvious, huge mistake by JD not scooping up someone like Minshew for nothing . 

• Upvote 1