****OFFICIAL JETS V EAGLES MINSHOWDOWN THREAD****

T0mShane

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

You see Saleh lose it with anger on the field today?   I hope he expresses at least the same amount against himself, his DC and players for getting torched every game.   The Eagles had no issue running right up the gut for most of the day.  That was not what we expected after Saleh was hired.  Where the F*ck is Saleh's vaunted D?

First time he really looked frustrated on the sidlines.  I was happy to see it.  He should be pissed the way his defense played.  Concerning that Wilson continues to miss 3 or 4 lay ups a game, but what a bout a defense that can't make a stop on 3rd and 18.  Or Eagles catching the ball, slipping down, getting up and still having no defender within 10 yards of them.  Wilson has not been good, but he got off to a great start today.  And still found himself trailing due to an inept defense and incompetent kicker.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

C’mon Tommy. You’re better than this.

None of White’s 45 attempts traveled more than 15 air yards and he finished with the second-most yards on short passing attempts (throws fewer than nine air yards) in a game since 2016 with 263 yards, according to NextGen Stats. His 3.733 air yards per attempt was the second-fewest in a 400-yard performance since Philip Rivers’ 3.732 in 2015, per The AP’s Josh Dubow.

Zach spent much of today dinking and dunking and he still barely cleared 200 yards and 6.0 YPA.

Theres something to be said about ball placement on short throws.  White put the ball where it needed to be to maximize YAC, at least on that day.  Wilson looks like a 5th round project QB when it comes to that skill.

• Upvote 1

He was the # 2 overall pick.  Eventually, he has to be one of the top 5 or so players on the field in a given week.  

Otherwise soon you’ll find yourself saying “It was just his 22nd start!  Leave him be!”
Agreed if after jis 22nd start he isnt a diff maker hes got to go.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

He had a good half against Tennessee. Like he had a good half today.

He was 3 yards shy of 300 yards, threw for almost 62% at 8.7 YPA with two TDs and a pick that should have been a completion to Corey Davis if he doesn’t trip over his own two legs, against what was, at the time a very good team in the NFL in terms of offensive and defensive production.  He also made very clutch plays and won the game.  It was a very good game.

Zach, undoubtedly, needs to clean up his play.  I’m not disagreeing.  All I’m saying is maybe let the kid develop before looking for the next shiny toy.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Zach spent much of today dinking and dunking and he still barely cleared 200 yards and 6.0 YPA.

Theres something to be said about ball placement on short throws.  White put the ball where it needed to me to maximize YAC.  Wilson looks like. 5th round project QB when it comes to that skill.

Look, I've said this a bunch when Zack has played:  He misses a bunch of throws which should be easy completions.   Worse is that many of them are high misses.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

When you have to round one player up by a year and a half (considering White hasn't even hit 4 years), and yet the other down to nothing, that kind of suggests there may just be a tad bit of confirmation bias at play here.

Mind you, I'm not a particular believer in Mike White, but to this point every argument for Wilson is very much formed around little more than excuses to support an already predetermined conclusion.  Those unfortunately haven't held true when similarly applied during the last 5 decades of failures at the position, so while I'll certainly be happy if it finally turns out that way for once, the odds aren't looking good at all.

I was going to write 4, but I rounded it up because, barring injury, he’s probably not seeing the field again this year.

I said it here when people were losing their minds over him - and I still believe it:  I don’t care who ends up being our guy for the foreseeable future.  I just want a QB.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Theres something to be said about ball placement on short throws.  White put the ball where it needed to be to maximize YAC, at least on that day.  Wilson looks like a 5th round project QB when it comes to that skill.

Meanwhile, those who said Minshew was deceptively good before the game were called negativos, after he does well we weren't right because the Jets D sucks. 

It's hilarious.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Meanwhile, those who said Minshew was deceptively good before the game were called negativos, after he does well we weren't right because the Jets D sucks. 

It's hilarious.

242 yards, 2 tds, 0 ints = "doing well"

226 yards, 3 totals tds, 1 int = "he sucks"

Hilarious. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I was going to write 4, but I rounded it up because, barring injury, he’s probably not seeing the field again this year.

I said it here when people were losing their minds over him - and I still believe it:  I don’t care who ends up being our guy for the foreseeable future.  I just want a QB.

Well said and I think is the case for 99% of folks around here.  The problem is there's unfortunately little reason to believe anyone currently on this team is that guy, unless you try really hard to convince yourself otherwise.

We can certainly hold out hope for Wilson, because what else is there to do right now, but the reality is that the odds of him being the Jets guy are lower today than they were the day he was drafted.  The longer this all takes, the less likely it is to ever happen.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It matters because of results like today. The Lions have actually been playing competitive football for the last 5 weeks now, if you haven’t noticed.  The Jets have been trending in the opposite direction.  

And like I argued all week, beating the Texans in ugly fashion was not something to be proud about because it wasn’t a sustainable way to win.  And look what happened this week…another blowout loss to a real team who didn’t even have their starting QB under center.

Its us and the Texans in the mix for worst team.  The Lions are # 30 and it’s a fairly wide gulf.

Disagree - I Would take the two extra wins over the difference in point differential between the two teams

i also wouldn’t really characterize today as a “blowout loss” 

18 minutes ago, Lith said:

Exactly.  This game was on the mostly on the defense, then kicking game, then offense and Wilson.  Eagles possessions were:

1. TD
  2. TD
  3. TD
  4. FG
  5. FG
  6. FG
  7. FG 
  8. Punt

Sometimes it is not the offense's fault that the D is on the field all game.  Get a stop on 3rd down and get the ball back to your O.  I think we went about 90 minutes in real time where we ran 3 offensive plays.  At one point the Eagles were something like 5 of 6 on 3rd down, where average yards to go was 8+.  You can't get off the field on 3rd and 8 all day.  Against Gardner MInshew.  Wilson was not great, but he was better than last week.  This was on the defense.

DEFENSE WAS BEYOND PUTRID.

BLAH!!!

WHERE DO DID THEY GET THESE CRAPPY GUYS!?!?!?!?

Just now, K_O_Brien said:

Hilarious. 

Excuse me, did I say Wilson "sucked" this game? Kindly focus your rebuttals on those who actually said what you are refuting. Have an upvote for trying, though.

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Herein lies the problem: Saleh should be looking for his QB of the future and White—all of 26 years old—has shown, at least, some promise, but he’s not going to be given a chance to compete because Wilson was the second overall pick. Clearly, the team likes White, they responded to him, and they looked like a legitimate offense until they ran into a pissed off Bills team, after which Saleh buried him. Maybe Mike White would end up sucking ass long-term, but not giving him a chance to compete is chickensh*t.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I thought it was very weird, and ominous, when the sideline reporter said that CJ Mosley told her they didn’t prepare for Minshew at all during the week? Someone has to get clarification on this, because everyone on the planet knew that it was a 50/50 proposition all week. I’m optimistically presuming that the Jets defensive problems stem from being a bunch of square pegs in round holes playing in a system they’re not suited for, but if it’s beyond that to where they’re simply not being prepared properly? Oof 

While I think it’s always strange to see Jet fans willingly take buckets for their rookie QBs, even after years and years of repeat failures at the position, I find the Zach Wilson Fan Club to be the weirdest. He had, by far, the flimsiest resume, the smallest physique, the most questions about his temperament, and was coming to the worst coaching support staff of any rookie we’ve ever had. Given all that, I feel like he’s actually overachieved. He seems tough, he has arm talent, he seems smart, and his teammates haven’t tried to murder him (that we know of). He, even now, is a promising rookie quarterback. That said, any criticism of him is met with absolute anger and vitriol and I just don’t get it. He’s the future of the franchise, whether we like it or not! We should be anxious about his every throw!

Bryce Hall said something similar apparently, that they did not prepare for Minshew . 

14 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He was 3 yards shy of 300 yards, threw for almost 62% at 8.7 YPA with two TDs and a pick that should have been a completion to Corey Davis if he doesn’t trip over his own two legs, against what was, at the time a very good team in the NFL in terms of offensive and defensive production.  He also made very clutch plays and won the game.  It was a very good game.

Zach, undoubtedly, needs to clean up his play.  I’m not disagreeing.  All I’m saying is maybe let the kid develop before looking for the next shiny toy.

Exactly 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Herein lies the problem: Saleh should be looking for his QB of the future and White—all of 26 years old—has shown, at least, some promise, but he’s not going to be given a chance to compete because Wilson was the second overall pick. Clearly, the team likes White, they responded to him, and they looked like a legitimate offense until they ran into a pissed off Bills team, after which Saleh buried him. Maybe Mike White would end up sucking ass long-term, but not giving him a chance to compete is chickensh*t.

Everyone has a boss. I can only imagine what the atmosphere would be like in the meeting with JD, Hymie, and Woody with Saleh saying he's like to bench the #2 overall.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How is that relevant to anything? We have to qualify every throw every QB makes now? Like, it doesn’t count because they didn’t come on 60 yard bombs?

Mike White highlights would look weak as a YouTube video soundtracked by Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song." Ergo, he sucks.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Hilarious. 

Also you have to take into account that the Jets defense literally did nothing  today. Technically they took the girls but they were sleepwalking.  Wouldn’t be hard to do well against them today 

4 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Bryce Hall said something similar apparently, that they did not prepare for Minshew . 

So Minshew both sucks and yet he stached us because we didn't prepare for him.

Reminds of when Bowles used the "we don't have tape on him" excuse for when Jets granted the Browns their first win in 2 years under rookie Baker Mayfield.

Uh... didn't you presumably just spend months scouting the top available QB prospects for the draft?

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Everyone has a boss. I can only imagine what the atmosphere would be like in the meeting with JD, Hymie, and Woody with Saleh saying he's like to bench the #2 overall.

That crew would never have let Tony Romo, Tom Brady, or Kurt Warner see the field. QBs are precious and rare, and emerge from weird and unpredictable places. If you get one into your system, you’re lucky. If you get two in your system, you run them up against each other and play the best one.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Look, I've said this a bunch when Zack has played:  He misses a bunch of throws which should be easy completions.   Worse is that many of them are high misses.

Namath and Eli Manning were notorious for high misses early in.  

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Well said and I think is the case for 99% of folks around here.  The problem is there's unfortunately little reason to believe anyone currently on this team is that guy, unless you try really hard to convince yourself otherwise.

We can certainly hold out hope for Wilson, because what else is there to do right now, but the reality is that the odds of him being the Jets guy are lower today than they were the day he was drafted.  The longer this all takes, the less likely it is to ever happen.

I get it.

I reeeeeeeally thought Sam was going to be it.  Especially the way he finished his 2018 and 2019 seasons, so trust me, I’m wary.  Idk, I don’t expect most to agree with me, but I just have a gut thing with Zach.  That said, im not blind.  I know what my eyes tell me he needs to clean up on Sundays.  That said, I was always of the belief that he was far more raw than most here thought he was.  I would have preferred a guy like Flacco or Minshew be brought in to let him sit at the start the season, but I don’t have that power, lol.  Furthermore, at the end of the day, most of these guys don’t work out, so I do understand pessimistic beliefs when it comes to these kids, especially when it comes to this friggin’ franchise.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

So Minshew both sucks and yet he stached us because we didn't prepare for him.

Reminds of when Bowles used the "we don't have tape on him" excuse for when Jets granted the Browns their first win in 2 years under rookie Baker Mayfield.

Uh... didn't you presumably just spend months scouting the top available QB prospects for the draft?

I like Minshew . Wanted him in the off-season , thought he was the perfect stop gap guy so Zach could sit . 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mike white sucks just like Wilson. We'll give wilson 1 more year and be looking again. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

We only got 2 receptions and 15 yards (but one TD) out of the TE position today. If you’re going to go with a short to medium pass offense which most teams are using you need more production from tight ends. 

OJ Howard or David Njoku. I want either of them on this team next season.