Becton and Teammate Hint at Left Tackle Returning “Soon”

JetNation

Mekhi Becton

When Jets left tackle Mekhi Becton was knocked out of the team’s season-opening loss when a teammate rolled up on the back of his right leg, the expectation was that he would miss 4-5 weeks with a kneecap dislocation.  Fast forward to today, and Becton has missed twice that.

The team has offered very few updates on Becton and hasn’t said much in terms of when he may be back.  But thanks to Becton and teammates John Franklin-Myers, we know his return could be soon.

Initially tweeting directly to what we can only assume are his biggest fans, abbreviated from Mekhi’s fans to Mfers (C’mon, we’re a family site), Becton urged those who had forgotten about him to “say less”.  Seeing the tweet from Becton, defensive lineman John Franklin-Myers followed that up with “Return of big love coming soon”.

Return of Big Love coming soon‼ https://t.co/sNzs92LmqD

— John Franklin-Myers (@J_FranklinMyers) December 3, 2021

So while neither offered a concrete date, it’s better than what has been offered up by the team which has ranged from absolutely no update at all, to talk of needing to get back on the practice field before taking more time to get in “football shape”.

In a season that was over before the first month of the campaign had completed, one of the few things Jets fans had to look forward to was Becton lining up next to rookie left guard Alijah Vera-Tucker.  At times you had to wonder if it was even going to happen this season.  Now it appears it will be happening.  Soon.

The post Becton and Teammate Hint at Left Tackle Returning “Soon” appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Haha 1

If not now then when, if it was 4 to 5 weeks to get right, then he surly must be close to playing shape by now.
He needs to get the reps next to AVT and get in sync with the rest of the O line before the end of the season. It’s critical that the left side get on the same page in order to get a running game that can be dominants . I can only imagine what Carter could do running behind those two guys.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

I can see him getting the Mims treatment: he comes off IR but doesn’t play unless someone else gets hurt. The OL is playing a lot better, and Fant has been the team MVP this year. Betting they concoct some situation where he replaces Moses on the right side for a few weeks.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I can see him getting the Mims treatment: he comes off IR but doesn’t play unless someone else gets hurt. The OL is playing a lot better, and Fant has been the team MVP this year. Betting they concoct some situation where he replaces Moses on the right side for a few weeks.

The problem with this, is that if they even throw him at RT for a play, then the offseason and draft comes around and the jets will be faced with the prospect of taking LT neal from Alabama who is a legit franchise LT.  And with bechton’s injury and weight issues, it’s not clear he is the LT of the next decade, especially in this offensive scheme.  And what are they really planning for mims anyway?  He doesn’t get a lot of snaps.  He doesn’t get targeted much.  They allegedly declined trade offers.  They have 2 first rounders, would they take a wr in the first round which would put him further down on the depth chart heading into 2022?  

At some point Douglas and Saleh have to figure out what to do with these two guys.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The problem with this, is that if they even throw him at RT for a play, then the offseason and draft comes around and the jets will be faced with the prospect of taking LT neal from Alabama who is a legit franchise LT.  And with bechton’s injury and weight issues, it’s not clear he is the LT of the next decade, especially in this offensive scheme.  And what are they really planning for mims anyway?  He doesn’t get a lot of snaps.  He doesn’t get targeted much.  They allegedly declined trade offers.  They have 2 first rounders, would they take a wr in the first round which would put him further down on the depth chart heading into 2022?  

At some point Douglas and Saleh have to figure out what to do with these two guys.

It’s anyone’s guess. It doesn’t seem like the staff has any love for either Becton or Mims, so it’s possible they just say “screw it” in the draft and take another tackle and receiver in the first if—as it appears—the edge guys go super high. I’d imagine they’d just bring Becton and Mims to camp next year and hope they step it up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I’m definitely apprehensive of shaking up the OL.  Fant has played well worth his contract, same goes for Moses.  I know Becton needs playing time to see if he’s a long term solution, but I think we may see some setbacks if he’s immediately plugged in over Fant or Moses.  (HIGHLY doubt they put him amyewhere but LT but who knows)

1 minute ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I’m definitely apprehensive of shaking up the OL.  Fant has played well worth his contract, same goes for Moses.  I know Becton needs playing time to see if he’s a long term solution, but I think we may see some setbacks if he’s immediately plugged in over Fant or Moses.  (HIGHLY doubt they put him amyewhere but LT but who knows)

It seems like Moses has become a veteran leader, too, which makes benching him for King Loaf difficult, even though Moses hasn’t been great. If Becton comes in and sucks at either OLT or ORT, unless it’s as an injury replacement, that’ll be a lot of eggs on faces over there

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s anyone’s guess. It doesn’t seem like the staff has any love for either Becton or Mims, so it’s possible they just say “screw it” in the draft and take another tackle and receiver in the first if—as it appears—the edge guys go super high. I’d imagine they’d just bring Becton and Mims to camp next year and hope they step it up.

I don’t think the jets can afford to be so cavalier with the LT position, given they’re all in on Zach and they have 2 good first round picks.  I think they have to understand what they have in becton before the draft b/c there will be very good LT prospects.  Now if douglas wants to cut bait on becton and move forward with someone like Neal at LT, then ok, it would suck but sometimes you have to cut losses as painful as they may be if he can get a good pick in return.  It seems inevitable that at least 1 of those 2 first rounders will be a pass rusher (if not both) so if they’re not sold on becton at LT they may as well explore trading becton before he has zero value, he’s deemed too injury prone and the jets have this overweight guy they have no real place for on the OL.  

If he comes back and starts, I wonder whose spot he takes? Fant has been excellent in pass protection but Moses is likely the better all around player.

It would be interesting to see how effective our running game can be with Becton-AVT-McGovern-LDT-Moses.

He should play if he’s healthy. It’ll help the FO make a more informed decision on what to do at tackle next year. Especially whether or not to bring back Moses.

Like Parcells used to say your best ability is availability. At this point I wonder if Becton returning would only Hinder the team? He's way behind now.

Obviously he's a mountain of a man. Just his physical presence is flat out scary, but the offensive line works together and needs to gel more than any other unit on the team.

You can plug and play WR''s, RB's, Nickelbacks and Slot Receivers, but not Left Tackles. Fant and Moses are holding down the fort, I say leave em' out there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

The problem with this, is that if they even throw him at RT for a play, then the offseason and draft comes around and the jets will be faced with the prospect of taking LT neal from Alabama who is a legit franchise LT.  And with bechton’s injury and weight issues, it’s not clear he is the LT of the next decade, especially in this offensive scheme.

Isn’t this what they said about Becton coming out?  The draft is a crapshoot, I’d like to just stick with becton at LT and see if he can do it instead of shifting to the right and using a top 10 pick on a LT.