Jump to content

What is the real answer?


Recommended Posts

It probably starts with strength and conditioning...we have stars on both sides of the football who have been out pretty much all season in becton and Lawson. Aside from them there have been other decent players hurt on and off all year (well aware every team has injuries it just always seems to be our best players).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Complex problem, no simple answer. Mostly it's lack of talent IMHO.

I think Saleh really wants to run the Niners defense, but 1. He doesn’t have the pieces and 2. The Niners defense he ran was only good during Bosa’s one dominant year.

I honestly do think it is a little bit of both.  Plus injuries in key spots -- especially safety where we lost both starters.  Our secondary is all first and second year players.  Our LBs struggl

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

So why the **** are you here still? Youre obviously not happy about any player or coach, young or old. Every post is negative. You should follow your own advice.

I'm here just for you. 😘

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Two things going on.  New scheme and a bunch of young players.  If we had more of a veteran group, I think (the word "think" with the Jets is dangerous) they would have adapted better to Ulbrich's scheme.

This sounds good but how does that explain getting gashed in the run game with ease week after week?  Our front 7 is not young it's full of veterans who are supposedly good.  If all the problems were broken coverages in the secondary I would buy the excuse of youth.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, undertow said:

This sounds good but how does that explain getting gashed in the run game with ease week after week?  Our front 7 is not young it's full of veterans who are supposedly good.  If all the problems were broken coverages in the secondary I would buy the excuse of youth.

Zach Wilson doesn't play defense, you troll.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, undertow said:

This sounds good but how does that explain getting gashed in the run game with ease week after week?  Our front 7 is not young it's full of veterans who are supposedly good.  If all the problems were broken coverages in the secondary I would buy the excuse of youth.

D line is grossly overrated.  QW shows up on occasion.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

It probably starts with strength and conditioning...we have stars on both sides of the football who have been out pretty much all season in becton and Lawson. Aside from them there have been other decent players hurt on and off all year (well aware every team has injuries it just always seems to be our best players).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app
 

We should start a Gofundme to buy a treadmill with a fishing pole and a hamburger dangling from it and send it to Becton's house

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The main issues in my opinion are:

1.  Our LBs stink and are also miscast.  This type of defense calls for LBs who can fly sideline to sideline.  Run with TEs and cover lots of ground in the zone pass defense.  This is not our current unit.  Quincy Williams can fly around but he’s extremely raw.  Mosley definitely isn’t this.  Davis is pretty fast but he’s just not good. He’s too aggressive, not good in coverage and an iffy tackler.

2.  The secondary went from doing ok when fully healthy to pretty bad now that they are severely depleted.  I am not overly concerned about the secondary long term, but right now they are really struggling.

3.  Our DL has good players, even with our main Edge guys injured, but again a bit miscast.  Fatukaski isn’t an ideal fit for this defense, but not a complete stretch either.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Larz said:

In a 32 team league with the top teams winning multiple times, the odds are the Jets, with clueless owners, won’t win a championship in decades, if ever again. 
 

they are year’s behind the Bills and cheaters, they won’t win the division in the next 7 years or so. 
 

the answer is to lower your expectations to being entertained, even if it’s a gallows humor form of entertainment. 
 

i feel bad for the guys in their 20 s and 30s, it hurts at that age. 
 

at my age, 54, it’s annoyingly predictable but I don’t lose sleep over it anymore 
 

 

The Jets are losing an entire generation of fans.  They managed to pull in some millennials from the decent football they played between 2000 and 2010.  

However, Gen Z is a total wipeout.  If they don’t improve fast, the next group is gone too.

All that is left will be the sad Boomers and Xers that have been “apathized.”

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

The Jets are losing an entire generation of fans.  They managed to pull in some millennials from some decent football they played between 2000 and 2010.  

However, Gen Z is a total wipeout.  If they don’t improve fast, the next group is gone too.

All that is left will be the sad Boomers and Xers that have been “apathized.”

Correct. My older kids are Eagles fans. My youngest is still a baby but her "football" team will likely be FC Bayern.

Even my European wife, who just started watching football a couple years ago knew to avoid the green curse. She likes Carolina. So that's kind of a wash lol.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Correct. My older kids are Eagles fans. My youngest is still a baby but her "football" team will likely be FC Bayern.

Even my European wife, who just started watching football a couple years ago knew to avoid the green curse. She likes Carolina. So that's kind of a wash lol.

 

Bayern?!?!  Gross…

Can’t you spin her to a decent club like Tottenham or Atletico or something that is less mainstream?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

My recollection is the Eagle starters pretty much owned the Jets DL during both the joint practices and their 2's were better in the last pre-season game.  I also seem to recall we couldn't cover a screen pass or a TE then either...

I can't recall when the last time was that we could cover TEs or screen passes ... it was pre Rex anyway, his defenses always got killed by those. And RB passes out of the backfield on 3rd and long.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lith said:

I honestly do think it is a little bit of both.  Plus injuries in key spots -- especially safety where we lost both starters. 

Our secondary is all first and second year players.  Our LBs struggle in coverage.  And when our DL does not get a pass rush, it is ugly.  Sure seems like the back 7 is struggling with the scheme - so many guys are wide open against us that it has to be more than just a talent issue.  

Just looking at today's game, it was the backs and TEs that killed us.  WRs had 6 receptions all game.  CBs are doing a decent job, but we are getting killed by TEs and backs out of the backfield.  Guys covered by LBs and safeties.  Those spots desperately need to be upgraded in the draft.  And FA.

a lot of these te catches were basically uncovered.  someone allowed the player to get out without putting a body on him.  also the eagles were running a lot of picks or scraping off the defender and screens.  the screens should have been read.

but at the end of the day it was the offense for letting the eagles stay on the field so long in the second half.  the defense started to play somewhat better but the offense stagnated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RoadFan said:

The Jets are losing an entire generation of fans.  They managed to pull in some millennials from the decent football they played between 2000 and 2010.  

However, Gen Z is a total wipeout.  If they don’t improve fast, the next group is gone too.

All that is left will be the sad Boomers and Xers that have been “apathized.”

good point.  it seemed like the stadium was loaded with eagles fans.  of course maybe if the stadium was located on the island or west side......

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rangerous said:

a lot of these te catches were basically uncovered.  someone allowed the player to get out without putting a body on him.  also the eagles were running a lot of picks or scraping off the defender and screens.  the screens should have been read.

but at the end of the day it was the offense for letting the eagles stay on the field so long in the second half.  the defense started to play somewhat better but the offense stagnated.

The first Eagles drive was 17 plays and took nearly 9 minutes ... that had nothing to do with the offense.

Yes, the three and out that followed was bad. But at the same time let's not paint that the D suddenly showed up after half time. 

I did find it odd that this week we had a strong offense in the first half and crap in the second half ... usually it's been the other way around. One of these weeks we might get a full 60 minutes out of them. Maybe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RoadFan said:

The Jets are losing an entire generation of fans.  They managed to pull in some millennials from the decent football they played between 2000 and 2010.  

However, Gen Z is a total wipeout.  If they don’t improve fast, the next group is gone too.

All that is left will be the sad Boomers and Xers that have been “apathized.”

An entire generation of Jets fan are dead.   The next generation is sitting in a euroligist office in adult diapers.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Biggs said:

An entire generation of Jets fan are dead.   The next generation is sitting in a euroligist office in adult diapers.  

Hey, watch it, man.   I'll have you know my urinary function and other "hydraulics" are in perfect working order.  

My mental/emotional state?   That's another matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rangerous said:

a lot of these te catches were basically uncovered.  someone allowed the player to get out without putting a body on him.  also the eagles were running a lot of picks or scraping off the defender and screens.  the screens should have been read.

but at the end of the day it was the offense for letting the eagles stay on the field so long in the second half.  the defense started to play somewhat better but the offense stagnated.

Agree with the first part of your comment,  But I do not put any of the defense's struggles on the offense.  We scored TDs on our first three possessions.  And after each score, the offense still came out trailing with each subsequent possession.  Go up 6, get the ball back down 1.  Go up 5, get the ball back down 2.  Every time the offense touched the ball, until the Eagles last drive in the 4th quarter, they found themselves farther behind.

It is up to the defense to get a stop.  Eagles converted 6 of their first 7 third downs.  Including a 3rd and 19 and two 3rd and 10s.  And when we get a stop on 3rd down, CJ Mosley jumps offsides on 4th.  It is up to the defense to get off the field and get the ball back to the offense.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There's just not a lot of talent out there. I've watched Jason Pinnock get beat twice the last two weeks for big plays, one was an early TD by the Texans we overcame, the other was the 3rd and 18 play to Reagor.

Jason Pinnock is a rookie 5th round draft pick. He doesn't play a lot but when he does, teams go right after him and he struggles. 

Isaiah Dunn plays more snaps than Pinnock, has actually started a game for us this year. He's a rookie UDFA and has been terrible. 

Michael Carter II has shown a lot of potential. But he's far from a finished product. He's a rookie 5th round draft pick. 

Brandon Echols before he got hurt was struggling a ton. He's a rookie 6th round draft pick. 

Javilin Guidry who is inconsistent is a second year UDFA. 

Bryce Hall is the lone guy, a second year 5th round draft pick who actually looks like a starting player. 

Some of these guys might develop and become key contributors. Some won't. The Jets are running out a bunch of late round 1st and 2nd year players in a league built on throwing the football. There's no veteran starters, or veteran depth. It's just a bunch of guys who may or may not even be in the league 2-3 years from now. The sad part is the Jets chose to do this. There's no injury at the corner position that is really killing this team. Sure Maye and Joyner being lost for the year is a big blow, but the lack of veteran corners is astounding. 

Saleh said the Jets defense doesn't put a lot of pressure on their corners but that doesn't mean you can just run a bunch of JAGS out there and have success. Especially without a big time pass rush. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think alot has to do with the losses of Lawson, Huff, Lamarcus Joyner and Maye. Losing your two best pass rushers and the QB in the secondary (Maye) has had alot to do with the defense issues IMHO.

I don't think anybody in the secondary other than Hall will be here next year. Nothing there but a bunch of scrubs.

One of those 1st round picks needs to be CB. Spend some free agency dollars on the DL

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

There's just not a lot of talent out there. I've watched Jason Pinnock get beat twice the last two weeks for big plays, one was an early TD by the Texans we overcame, the other was the 3rd and 18 play to Reagor.

Jason Pinnock is a rookie 5th round draft pick. He doesn't play a lot but when he does, teams go right after him and he struggles. 

Isaiah Dunn plays more snaps than Pinnock, has actually started a game for us this year. He's a rookie UDFA and has been terrible. 

Michael Carter II has shown a lot of potential. But he's far from a finished product. He's a rookie 5th round draft pick. 

Brandon Echols before he got hurt was struggling a ton. He's a rookie 6th round draft pick. 

Javilin Guidry who is inconsistent is a second year UDFA. 

Bryce Hall is the lone guy, a second year 5th round draft pick who actually looks like a starting player. 

Some of these guys might develop and become key contributors. Some won't. The Jets are running out a bunch of late round 1st and 2nd year players in a league built on throwing the football. There's no veteran starters, or veteran depth. It's just a bunch of guys who may or may not even be in the league 2-3 years from now. The sad part is the Jets chose to do this. There's no injury at the corner position that is really killing this team. Sure Maye and Joyner being lost for the year is a big blow, but the lack of veteran corners is astounding. 

Saleh said the Jets defense doesn't put a lot of pressure on their corners but that doesn't mean you can just run a bunch of JAGS out there and have success. Especially without a big time pass rush. 

 

I don't think the Corners have been nearly as much of an issue as Safety and LB play. Joyner and Maye would have been respectable Safetys but that pair did survive Q1G1.

So much for all the geniuses who claimed defense was no longer imortant in today's NFL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, section314 said:

I’ve had tix for 42 years, and have been a jet fan for about 55 years. Sitting there today, with that absolutely putrid effort, I can honestly say this is by far the worst Jets defense I can ever remember. It begs the question…..are our defensive coaches horrible , or do our defensive players just out and out suck?  Personally, I say the coaches stink, but interested to hear what others feel. 

Rookie head coach, second year DC, rookies and second year players all over the field. And not just young players, but late picks and UDFAs starting and/or getting significant playing time. Big time Edge lost in training camp, franchise tagged safety lost during the season, as well as his veteran partner. 
 
Get a couple guys back, add a couple pieces over the offseason, and I think the second year in this system should be significantly better. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, section314 said:

I’ve had tix for 42 years, and have been a jet fan for about 55 years. Sitting there today, with that absolutely putrid effort, I can honestly say this is by far the worst Jets defense I can ever remember. It begs the question…..are our defensive coaches horrible , or do our defensive players just out and out suck?  Personally, I say the coaches stink, but interested to hear what others feel. 

The answer is to stop buying tickets and attending games until the Johnson bros sell it. Buy no Jets merchandise, tickets and stay away from games. The Johnson's are bottom line guys and if their golden goose stops producing they will sell. I know that wasn't the question but it may be the answer.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Hopefully the draft goes something like this where Douglas adds a bunch of playmakers to this defense. Add in Lawson coming back healthy, and maybe a piece or 2 in free agency.

A641E221-854E-49D9-9719-D6A150E3CA5F.png

After seeing this I chose to do a draft of my own for kicks because work is slow today.

bU1Y8N.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

There's just not a lot of talent out there. I've watched Jason Pinnock get beat twice the last two weeks for big plays, one was an early TD by the Texans we overcame, the other was the 3rd and 18 play to Reagor.

Jason Pinnock is a rookie 5th round draft pick. He doesn't play a lot but when he does, teams go right after him and he struggles. 

Isaiah Dunn plays more snaps than Pinnock, has actually started a game for us this year. He's a rookie UDFA and has been terrible. 

Michael Carter II has shown a lot of potential. But he's far from a finished product. He's a rookie 5th round draft pick. 

Brandon Echols before he got hurt was struggling a ton. He's a rookie 6th round draft pick. 

Javilin Guidry who is inconsistent is a second year UDFA. 

Bryce Hall is the lone guy, a second year 5th round draft pick who actually looks like a starting player. 

Some of these guys might develop and become key contributors. Some won't. The Jets are running out a bunch of late round 1st and 2nd year players in a league built on throwing the football. There's no veteran starters, or veteran depth. It's just a bunch of guys who may or may not even be in the league 2-3 years from now. The sad part is the Jets chose to do this. There's no injury at the corner position that is really killing this team. Sure Maye and Joyner being lost for the year is a big blow, but the lack of veteran corners is astounding. 

Saleh said the Jets defense doesn't put a lot of pressure on their corners but that doesn't mean you can just run a bunch of JAGS out there and have success. Especially without a big time pass rush. 

 

There's only some many holes that can be filled in one off season.  Mix that in with injuries and and a rookie QB and HC and well...you get the 2021 New York Jets.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...