So what happened on the bye week?

I had been thinking a lot the past couple weeks about how it felt earlier in the season the defense was actually a bright spot.  Fought hard.  Played ok, but ultimately still not that good.  But not an utter embarrassment. And then it all just fell to pieces.  

So I finally looked it up.  The first 5 games the defense allowed 372 yards a game.  Again not great, but if that were their season average it would put them somewhere around 25th in the league.

Since the bye week they have allowed a whopping 415 yards a game.  At first I didn’t think 43 yards a game was all that big a deal.  But that’s about the amount of yards per game different between the Patriots D and bottom tier defenses like the Giants and Chiefs.

There is no glaring statically difference that I could find to explain it, like forcing more turnovers before bye, more sacks, etc.  The eye ball tests says sometimes it’s just a case of giving a damn on defense.

The week in London was a very bad week for the defense too, so it didn’t necessarily start after the bye, but that London trip definitely is where things really started getting bad on defense.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Teams watch tape on what the Jets were doing.  Unfortunately the Jets keep doing the same thing.   

A monkey can call our defensive scheme which makes sense since opposing offenses all go bananas against it

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

So what you’re saying is our defense is the bottom tier of the bottom tier.  Not surprised, I’m assuming we’re dead last but haven’t looked it up.

You’d figure we would’ve gotten better as the season goes, especially since we had rookies in at LB early on.  Who knows.

Yes, they are last in team defense as it stands now.  

• Post of the Week 1

Its hard to figure out whats causing the gaping holes in our run D.  It seems like a lot of our guys get caught trying to pass rush instead of mantaining gap discipline.   And then the lbs are slow and are pushed around at the second lvl.

Its hard to tell who's at fault, or if its a scheme thing, but many of the same plays (the stunts and delays) kill us almost every time.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I don't think we were as good as the numbers indicated in the pre bye week games. 

Week 2 against NE, our QB self-destructed early.  They had a rookie QB making his second start.  They went ultra conservative, didn;'t need to put up a lot of yardage, just kept giving us long fields and we couldn't do anything.  Similar things in week 3 against Denver.  We were down 3 scores at halftime.  They didn't do much offensively in the second half -- they didn't have to because we couldn't score.

I think those two games skewed the numbers early in the season.

• Upvote 3

The first few weeks I was happy with the defense.  I kept praising them for their violent and sure tackling.

Now?  They remind me of the 2003 Jets when it was exposed that Mo and Marvin played one more season than they should have… and Sam Cowart was also as slow to arrive as a Pennington deep ball.

That Raiders TD drive where they ran the ball 19 or 20 straight times to open the game was maybe the saddest thing I ever saw.

6 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I haven’t figured out what Zach did to ruin the defense, I just know that he did.  

I thought the DLine would be better.  

I don’t buy that this defense doesn’t need good CBs either.  

Figuring out how much each part of this team is responsible for the suck is like trying to allocate your farts to the different items from a Mexican buffet.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Figuring out how much each part of this team is responsible for the suck is like trying to allocate your farts to the different items from a Mexican buffet.

How much of the defense needs to get changed out to be 20th? 

I didn’t think they need a top edge because I hoped Carl Lawson might do that… but they need one.   I think they need a good LB and a really good CB.  2 safeties.  

I can’t figure the interior DLine out.   They looked good in some games and dominated last week. 

Just now, Hal N of Provo said:

How much of the defense needs to get changed out to be 20th? 

I didn’t think they need a top edge because I hoped Carl Lawson might do that… but they need one.   I think they need a good LB and a really good CB.  2 safeties.  

I can’t figure the interior DLine out.   They looked good in some games and dominated last week. 

Defense is much further away than the offense. 

You won't like my opinion on the one missing piece from the offense :D 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Hael said:

Its hard to figure out whats causing the gaping holes in our run D.  It seems like a lot of our guys get caught trying to pass rush instead of mantaining gap discipline.   And then the lbs are slow and are pushed around at the second lvl.

Its hard to tell who's at fault, or if its a scheme thing, but many of the same plays (the stunts and delays) kill us almost every time.

thats it right there. were runnung pass the RBs and thats scheme.

and @Lith is right too with those games skewering the avg. and might i add Carolina who played very conservative too.

• Upvote 1

Just now, doitny said:

thats it right there. were runnung pass the RBs and thats scheme.

and @Lith is right too with those games skewering the avg. and might i add Carolina who played very conservative too.

I knew they’d get gashed because that’s the plan with the scheme but I hoped they’d create more havoc doing it.   They don’t have enough to show for the gambles.  

13 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I knew they’d get gashed because that’s the plan with the scheme but I hoped they’d create more havoc doing it.   They don’t have enough to show for the gambles.  

the real question will be this offseason. does Saleh admit he doesnt have the guys for this scheme and changes to something we do better. or does he stick to his guns and hope that there are guys in the draft and FA that can run this scheme like its suppose to