Jets didn’t prepare for Minshew

kevinc855

Remember when Cleveland got their first win in 2 years after we knocked Tyrod out of the game and rookie Baker came in relief? Bowles' excuse was "there was no tape on Baker." This, mere months after the Jets -- presumably -- scoured every collegiate play for each of the top QBs in that year's draft.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, jgb said:

Remember when Cleveland got their first win in 2 years after we knocked Tyrod out of the game and rookie Baker came in relief? Bowles' excuse was "there was no tape on Baker." This, mere months after the Jets -- presumably -- scoured every collegiate play for each of the top QBs in that year's draft.

Bowles has a Superbowl ring

• Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Bowles has a Superbowl ring

Yep, he does. And I've been vocal in saying that he seems thoughtful enough to have learned and grown from his experience as a Jet and will get another HC shot in the (very) near future and I think he will do better.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I found this admission by Bryce Hall stunning. It was later backed up by CJ. 

Coaching negligence to me. Is this why Saleh was losing his mind on the sideline? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/12/06/robert-saleh-left-jets-unprepared-for-eagles-gardner-minshew/amp/

Wait, the Jets had access to the Eagles training staff?  Did I miss this news?

• WTF? 1

He didnt say the Jets didnt prepare for the Eagles, he said they prepared for the Eagles no matter the QB because they would play the same way whoever was at QB.  That they have a great run game and use the quick pass.  Which is exactly what happened, was exactly how the Eagles played.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

He didnt say the Jets didnt prepare for the Eagles, he said they prepared like they were playing the Eagles no matter the QB because they would play the same way whoever was at QB.  That they have a great run game and use the quick pass.  Which is exactly what happened, was exactly how the Eagles played.

Not sure if it's worst to get beat by being surprised, or to know what's coming and get steamrolled anyway.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Not sure if it's worst to get beat by being surprised, or to know what's coming and get steamrolled anyway.

The announcers commented that the Eagles played the same game with Minshew at QB as they would have played with Jalen.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

The announcers commented that the Eagles played the same game with Minshew at QB as they would have played with Jalen.  

So we knew what was coming and just got worked. That makes me feel a lot better. Thank you.

• Haha 2

Just now, jgb said:

So we knew what was coming and just got worked. That makes me feel a lot better. Thank you.

What do you want, an out because of a Bryce Hall quote?  Im not trying to make anyone feel good, just trying to translate what Hall said 

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yep, he does. And I've been vocal in saying that he seems thoughtful enough to have learned and grown from his experience as a Jet and will get another HC shot in the (very) near future and I think he will do better.

So maybe just time and stability are required to allow a HC about halfway through his first season to learn from his mistakes... And to be fair Saleh said they review film and prepare for the system and not a particular QB. The system doesn't change only what plays they might call in the system, he is partly right.

The biggest problem this team has is that they are making silly mistakes. Which is what happens with a young team that has very few veterans... They had more veterans but they have all been injured over time. So guildry taking a wrong angle on a screen resulting in a 30 yard play is the mistake of 1, not the whole system. Or a player slipping on the turf leaving the TE wide open, again is an execution problem not a coaching problem. Also, when said player slips on the turf, not having a safety help him out is a communication issue on part of the players being young, not a scheme issue.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

The Eagles did not look like they were running a complex offense.   Mostly runs and a couple big hits to the TE Goedert. 

Even the screen to the TE, which seemed to be the play that killed us early stopped and then they just kept running and running unstopped.  We couldn't stop the run and that really turned the game into a runaway.  Zach and the offense didnt have the ball, were stuck to the bench waiting for what seemed like forever to get onto the field

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Looks like the Saleh/Ulbrich tandem forgot how to prepare the team again for RBs going straight up the middle for big runs all day, too.   Seems like a weekly (weakly?) event so you would figure someone could provide an answer.

Stopping the run is not a priority in this system. The Dline’s job is to attack, get up field and sack the QB.

21 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Hall was asked to elaborate. 

“Had we known ahead of time, I don’t think it really honestly would have changed much at all. It really didn’t change whether it was Minshew or Jalen, they did pretty much the same thing that we were expecting them to do.” 

The only time in history that 99% of the news says the starting QB will not play, then a day before the game the team says, “oh, but he might” and the opposing team falls for it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Even the screen to the TE, which seemed to be the play that killed us early stopped and then they just kept running and running unstopped.  We couldn't stop the run and that really turned the game into a runaway.  Zach and the offense didnt have the ball, were stuck to the bench waiting for what seemed like forever to get onto the field

That’s the thing. If  team is just running every play and you can’t stop it, then who cares what tape you watched… you’re awful.

3 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Stopping the run is not a priority in this system. The Dline’s job is to attack, get up field and sack the QB.

Are you accepting the concept that our defense is expected to not stop the run?   Think about how insanely bizarre that is.  EVERY football defense MUST be equipt to stop the run.   Or else, you can't possibly win a game.

• Upvote 1

While I'd love to get upset and curse the coaching staff to the high heavens, I dont think this matters, honestly.  They clearly dont week to week game plan for teams.  They run a shell defense every week with a tweak here and there based on situation but they're not game planning and changing up their scheme week to week based on the opponent.   This is a stay in your lane, do your jobs defense that is supposedly prepared for anything that comes their way.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Are you accepting the concept that our defense is expected to not stop the run?   Think about how insanely bizarre that is.  EVERY football defense MUST be equipt to stop the run.   Or else, you can't possibly win a game.

The amount of missed tackles are concerning. They just seem to be flying to the ball without form.

And the word is out. You can screen this team to death. There is not "stay at home" accountability. They all fly to to misdirection like moths to a flame.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Turd Ferguson said:

That’s the thing. If  team is just running every play and you can’t stop it, then who cares what tape you watched… you’re awful.

The Jets defense, with all the injuries, all the players theyre running out there that were on the street a week earlier, isnt the D that they hoped to put on the field and theyre playing like shlt, cant stop a thing.  Its not they didnt prep, its theyre incapable of playing with decent teams right now.  Theyre outmanned.  DL, LB missing pieces, SS & FS gone, one corners are scrubs other than Hall, how much can coaching change?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

While I'd love to get upset and curse the coaching staff to the high heavens, I dont think this matters, honestly.  They clearly dont week to week game plan for teams.  They run a shell defense every week with a tweak here and there based on situation but they're not game planning and changing up their scheme week to week based on the opponent.   This is a stay in your lane, do your jobs defense that is supposedly prepared for anything that comes their way.

Except, they don't stay in their lanes. They do not have that discipline. I could live more with that and they were just getting out talented. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The Eagles owned the third quarter.  Overall, they had the ball for 11 more minutes than us.

• Upvote 1

Just now, munchmemory said:

The Eagles owned the third quarter.  Overall, they had the ball for 11 more minutes than us.

Right now, you could set up every play as a run, and you could construct a 15 play drive right down the field and not get stopped by the Jets. And the defense would step back and say, " I can't believe they ran the ball again". 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He didnt say the Jets didnt prepare for the Eagles, he said they prepared for the Eagles no matter the QB because they would play the same way whoever was at QB.  That they have a great run game and use the quick pass.  Which is exactly what happened, was exactly how the Eagles played.  

Yeah, I heard the Mosley comments too and this stuff is being taken out of context. I get the impression that the Jets were just really annoyed about getting cooked up by Minshew and this was some excuse-making by the players. Like getting dunked on by a guy who never dunks and saying that the court had a wet spot and you slipped. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Right now, you could set up every play as a run, and you could construct a 15 play drive right down the field and not get stopped by the Jets. And the defense would step back and say, " I can't believe they ran the ball again". 

For me at least, this became apparent with the NE games.  We just could not stop them on runs.   And not complex misdirection stuff.  But RBs going for 7, 8, 9 yards on first down straight up the middle.   That trend has continued in all our games.   We saw it all day yesterday with Sanders.

• Upvote 1

The more concerning aspect of the defensive coaching is the fact that they never adjust to what teams are doing to them.  How many passes did Dallas Goedert need to catch before someone finally adjusts the coverage?

I also think this whole philosophy where the corner backs don’t travel and just line up on the same side of the defense every play is foolish.  Its given opposing offenses an extremely easy time of creating mis-matches in their favor.  Saleh’s excuse that it would somehow cause too much confusion because guys would need to learn different roles is comical, especially when we heard all that B.S. about how the WRs need to learn all the WR positions.  

I get that the talent on defense isn’t great, but has this defense ever really fooled an offense?  When have we ever said “wow, what a great call or coverage”?   

• Upvote 3