Talent Evaluaters

Matt Amendola was not good.  However, I do not remember him missing two PATs in succession.  Whoever recommended that Amendola be cut and replaced by this new kicker needs to be fired immediately.  This guy Kessman is not NFL eligible and the person or persons responsible for him being on the team need to go.  The Jets have been terrible for a very long time because the people responsible for talent evaluation have been incompetent.  Moreover, it is time that JD wake up and realize that FG kickers are a valuable asset to an NFL football team. How many games are decided by three points or less.  Idiotic penny pinching that costs scores of games is unacceptable.

• Upvote 3

I'm sure he was making kicks in practice.

At some point you just have to give someone a chance in a game to prove it.  Fans would have been crying if we didn't give the new practice squad kicker a shot today, even if Amendola made all 3 XPs.  In a couple weeks, we won't remember this guys name, because if you miss your first 2 XP's in this league, you're likely never going to get another shot.

• Upvote 3
29 minutes ago, TMAC said:

Matt Amendola was not good.  However, I do not remember him missing two PATs in succession.  Whoever recommended that Amendola be cut and replaced by this new kicker needs to be fired immediately.  This guy Kessman is not NFL eligible and the person or persons responsible for him being on the team need to go.  The Jets have been terrible for a very long time because the people responsible for talent evaluation have been incompetent.  Moreover, it is time that JD wake up and realize that FG kickers are a valuable asset to an NFL football team. How many games are decided by three points or less.  Idiotic penny pinching that costs scores of games is unacceptable.

When they traded for Joe Flacco while My Quite and Josh Johnson were both on the roster was telling enough. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, Scott Dierking said:

One of the greatest overreaction in jets history. And that is a mouthful

For fun I went allllllll the way back and read the draft thread from that year -- which was the first draft after the creation of this site. Let's just say... people liked the pick at the time lol. I decided against bumping because I'm a mensch.

JD thought it be a good idea to go into a season with virtually zero talent or experience in the LB corps or secondary outside Mosley. 

I'm not sure what JD's plan is, but its mind boggling. Ashtyton Davis and Guidry got exposed yesterday, looking like pop warner kids in a Varsity football game. It's brutal to watch. 

The kicker situation......dont get me started 

• Upvote 2

Here is my issue with not sticking with Amendola. You cannot teach his leg strength. You can teach accuracy. And Amendola's misses (aside from one) were near misses that could be fixed, he didn't have the yips. The moments were not too big for him.  I would have rode it out with Amendola because the dividend of having a Kicker like Amendola when he puts it together is huge. He was a known commodity. Any other kicker they bring in is a crapshoot, just like the new kid, who I'm sure was great in practice, for kickers there is a huge difference between practice and games.

• Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

JD thought it be a good idea to go into a season with virtually zero talent or experience in the LB corps or secondary outside Mosley. 

I'm not sure what JD's plan is, but its mind boggling. Ashtyton Davis and Guidry got exposed yesterday, looking like pop warner kids in a Varsity football game. It's brutal to watch. 

Patience, kevin. What's another 10 years?

27 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Yep - JD thought, wtf, might as well roll out a crap roster....

While his first draft isn't looking great right now (i choose to give him a mulligan for his first draft and no combines) the team was a complete wash of young talent; there was no depth; and a bunch of aging vets. While I am not convinced that JD is the one, any expectations of a quality team at this point were misplaced.

We decided to do a real reboot - only adding a few vets for key spots and mostly relying on rookies and second years to fill most of the spots. Many of these young players wouldn't be starting on other teams. They are all young - and they are playing a new scheme with a new coaching staff; when the Pats roll out rookies they have earned that spot by beating out other quality players and they are running in a proven scheme next to other starters who know the scheme - it is much easier for them succeed surrounded by players that can teach them what to do and cover for them a bit.

Here the players are beating out other scrubs and being surrounded by other scrubs who don't know what they are doing. This season and likely a good part next year isn't going to be pretty - sadly I had hoped that we would be better, but ...

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Here is my issue with not sticking with Amendola. You cannot teach his leg strength. You can teach accuracy. And Amendola's misses (aside from one) were near misses that could be fixed, he didn't have the yips. The moments were not too big for him.  I would have rode it out with Amendola because the dividend of having a Kicker like Amendola when he puts it together is huge. He was a known commodity. Any other kicker they bring in is a crapshoot, just like the new kid, who I'm sure was great in practice, for kickers there is a huge difference between practice and games.

This.

Ammendola has immense natural ability in terms of his leg power. He needs to work on his technique and become more consistent, but he has the leg talent that cannot be taught.

I would have kept him and let him kick for the rest of the year. At a minimum, I hope to see him brought back onto the PS later today so the coaches can try to iron out his technical issues.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, jgb said:

For fun I went allllllll the way back and read the draft thread from that year -- which was the first draft after the creation of this site. Let's just say... people liked the pick at the time lol. I decided against bumping because I'm a mensch.

I think that's the year we picked up Doug Jolley, right?

• Sad 1
10 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

This.

Ammendola has immense natural ability in terms of his leg power. He needs to work on his technique and become more consistent, but he has the leg talent that cannot be taught.

I would have kept him and let him kick for the rest of the year. At a minimum, I hope to see him brought back onto the PS later today so the coaches can try to iron out his technical issues.

I agree, we haven't given up on Zack, Moore, or Becton, why Ammendola? I would give up on Mann before Ammendola.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, xJayce said:

I think that's the year we picked up Doug Jolley, right?

Aren't you a glutton for punishment. Unfortunately in those years, our Founding Fathers were riding high upon the launch of this website (understandable) and there were no darksiders to speak truth!

Just now, CanadienJetsFan said:

Amendola should be the punter.

Mann has been even more disappointing seeing that he was a top punter prospect.

The entire special teams unit needs a re-vamp.

Year 1 of the complete rebuild starts next year!

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

If Ammendola got cut so should Zach. Both have “immense physical ability” but need to work on accuracy.  QB>PK

Well, I mean, except Zach would have a $35M cap hit and Ammendola had $0. But other than that insignificant detail, exactly the same thing!

• Thumb Down 1
13 minutes ago, jgb said:

Well, I mean, except Zach would have a $35M cap hit and Ammendola had $0. But other than that insignificant detail, exactly the same thing!

Lol yes being facetious.  Just don’t get why people were screaming to cut Ammendola like the kicker is what’s holding this organization back.  We are experimenting at nearly every position on this team, why not play it out and try to fix his hook?  It’s even worse in Mann’s case because we had a great alternative already here.  The hypocrisy is frustrating.

Also Mason Crosby is 18 for 27 this year smh GB has no idea what they’re doing.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Totally agree with this and in addition his misses were consistent. Just seems like some small change in lineup or mechanics would have fixed it. 

2 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Lol yes being facetious.  Just don’t get why people were screaming to cut Ammendola like the kicker is what’s holding this organization back.  We are experimenting at nearly every position on this team, why not play it out and try to fix his hook?  It’s even worse in Mann’s case because we had a great alternative already here.  The hypocrisy is frustrating.

Also Mason Crosby is 18 for 27 this year smh GB has no idea what they’re doing.

Switched my confused reaction to your original post to a lol and downvoted my response for missing the joke.

• Like 1