Zach’s “breakout” game

Rhg1084

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Zach Wilson is the only QB in NFL history not allowed to struggle as a rookie. 

With one true receiving threat who is also a rookie.  Journeyman RB's because his true RB who is also a rookie is injured.  Luckily this OL has really stepped up over the course of the year or this season would truly be a disaster because he would definitely suffer another injury before the year is out.

• Upvote 3

15 out of 25 QB's in league QBR this week.  Breakout game is still very mediocre.  It's progress but that's not hard when you are one of the worst starting QBs in the league.

I need to see at least a top 10 QB performance before the end of the year.  

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He comes unglued a little easy at this point.

He is definitely one of those kids where success breeds success, but failure breeds failure. 

Have to see whether he ever feels he belongs.

He definitely seems to press when he knows he needs a have a big drive or make a key play.  I think he's the definition of "gripping the bat too tight" in those situations and it's why he suddenly losses all control of his accuracy and looks to leave the pocket too early in effort to "make a play".  

The bottom line is, he's way to raw to overcome the deficiencies of this roster.  The Jets need damn near perfection out of their offense to be competitive and he's just far far far from that point right now but again, silver linings, he looked like a different player in the first half. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think we just want him to be good. Not sure what this has to do w/Mac Jones?

People slammed the Pats for taking "game manager" Jones.  And he's good.  Seems like we're looking for Wilson to show similar skills- quick reads, get the ball out,  be accurate,  etc.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

Just to put this in context also.  Mac Jones has had at least 5 top 10 QBR performances this year.  Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields have had 2 each.  

I think QBR is a good stat to base the overall play of a QB off of so I don't think it's too much to ask for Zach to give us a good game in this aspect.  

Agreed. I'd like a signature game to feel better going into off season.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

His accuracy is very bad, and he came absolutely unspooled in the second half once the Eagles defense woke up, but this was definitely progress.

The offense lost three starters, forced to roll with GVR and practice squad TEs. Coulda maybe had a little to do with it too. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

Just to put this in context also.  Mac Jones has had at least 5 top 10 QBR performances this year.  Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields have had 2 each.  

I think QBR is a good stat to base the overall play of a QB off of so I don't think it's too much to ask for Zach to give us a good game in this aspect.  

What makes you think QBR is a good tool?  I thought it had been widely panned by people “in the know” as a pretty terrible metric.  I have only ever heard people complain about it so I haven’t looked at it.  What’s the gist of it?

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

How dare he go 3 and out that one time he touched the ball in the 3rd quarter. Then he did nothing to motivate the defense to stop the eagles? Mike White would have gotten CJ Mosley to run faster on defense also. 

Am I doing it right? 

Mike White would have picked off Minshew at least once!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I gotta admit Zach Wilson looked really good yesterday...and we can have a surrounding cast , we should not have to worry about QB. We should only have to worry about (in this precise order)

RT

LT

C

LB x 2

S x 2

CB 1

WR

TE

Fant and McGovern have both played very well, not sure why you’re worried about RT/LT or C. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1