Zach’s “breakout” game

Rhg1084

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

It still doesn't explain -- and in fact, further highlights the illogical position of why so many Wilsonians were adamantly against bringing in a credible QB2 to start the beginning of the season.

I think the feeling was Jets fans might demand the backup.  

The thought was fans might give up on a rookie QB too quickly, so the Jets couldn’t be given nice toys.  

I don’t know where that came from though.  Jets fans are welcoming and patient.   It’s clearly not grounded in reality, but they thought it was important to burn their ships behind them.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

It still doesn't explain -- and in fact, further highlights the illogical position of why so many Wilsonians were adamantly against bringing in a credible QB2 to start the beginning of the season.

I was not against it.  I was ready to write off the whole staff from JD down because of how they handled that situation. But I still have some optimism considering they have spurts of looking really good and that is with a team full of bums. If JD hits in the draft this year, get Lawson back, get a solid WR and TE then I think the future is bright. I am being patient this year and having faith that Zach can fix the accuracy issues. I watch other QBs perform and I see a lot of horrible inaccurate throws every week and this is from guys in the league for many years. I gave Darnold 3 years so its only fair I give Zach 2 years minimum. 

• Upvote 2

I'm going by what's available to the common person.  Other than QBR there's no other stat that tells a more full story of how well a QB played that game.  QBR is a stat that's not understood by many and even myself to the full extent but when you look week in and out at the QBs that perform well in this and watch how they perform during certain game situations I believe it to be the best barometer.  
We can talk about the eye test but that is subjective to the person.  My eye test shows me Zach was inconsistent and played average yesterday while others here are saying it was "breakout".   
QBR is a worthless ESPN invented stat.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I think the feeling was Jets fans might demand the backup.  

The thought was fans might give up on a rookie QB too quickly, so the Jets couldn’t be given nice toys.  

I don’t know where that came from though.  Jets fans are welcoming and patient.   It’s clearly not grounded in reality, but they thought it was important to burn their ships behind them.  

Which is dumb but we're talking about Woody Johnson here. If the Bruno Magli driving mock fits...

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

A TD? No. There is a safety behind the play. 

image.png.28a7e5c911d2d09a7ff621155bf2c01d.png

You’re telling me Elijah Moore with the ball in his hands can’t make one guy miss?

Fine.  Can we agree on an additional 5-10 yards?  Still a better outcome than the best case scenario of that throw?

Just now, ZachEY said:

You’re telling me Elijah Moore with the ball in his hands can’t make one guy miss?

Fine.  Can we agree on an additional 5-10 yards?  Still a better outcome than the best case scenario of that throw?

I think an extra 5-10 yards is the most likely scenario 

6 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What this doesn’t take into account is ball placement based on coverage.  

It wasn’t a good throw.  It wasn’t a bad throw either, and it’s not as difficult a catch as you imply, but also not an easy catch.

The LB is buzzing underneath the route and if Wilson throws it to Moore’s inside shoulder the LB has a chance to deflect it. He can’t lift it over the LB otherwise he gives time for the safety to get over.  He throws it to the outside.  Maybe slightly too far, and Moore can’t make a catch on a difficult but crazy difficult pass.

Everyone wants to place blame on one guy.  If both were slightly better on that play, just slightly, it’s a completion.

Sane with the shot down the sideline a few plays later.  Moore beats his guy.  Wilson is hit when he throws and it hangs on him.  But it still ends up a 50/50 ball that hits Moore right in the bread basket. Again, each could have been slightly better and it’s a completion.  Both have reason to point to themselves.

Hawkeye I did take into account coverage I just did not want to get into it TBH it could also be why Moore stopped the route short by design or he was sitting in the open area of the zone defense.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Agreed, that was my issue with Browning Nagle, the guy had 2 last names. 

Sam Darnold has a first name and a last name that closely resembles the weird gulping sound the girl made when I took off my pants during my first drunken college hookup.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, jgb said:

Pity. Best new poster in years.

You are not wrong @ZachEY I originally intended to purely troll but I got lost along the way.     

Lifelong BYU fan.   Made the name laughing at myself being an outsider here and an unapologetic Zach supporter - his Helen of Troy.  

I’m just having some fun here. This my only account.  

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

You are not wrong @ZachEY I originally intended to purely troll but I got lost along the way.     

Lifelong BYU fan.   Made the name laughing at myself being an outsider here and an unapologetic Zach supporter - his Helen of Troy.  

I’m just having some fun here. This my only account.  

I for one, and so heartbroken. Pack your things and leave, please. 

In fairness, I will say that Wilson definitely does look better when looking at select positive stats and then comparing those to others given no such luxury.

I mean, he did throw 11 of 13 for 103 yds and 2 TDs over the first 3 offensive drives.

Granted, that translates to 12 of 25 for 123 yds and an INT for the remaining 2 1/2+ quarters of being shut out, but who wants to get caught up in such trivial facts?

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I wouldn't dismiss what Johnson did, he played admirably. But I also have never put a lot of stock in what happens after games get out of hand. The Colts game was over emotionally in the second quarter. I find it hard to extrapolate from games like that. I do think it's clear that Josh Johnson is a capable/respectable backup who can run our offense in a pinch. 

Btw, if you remove the Colts game from the equation, the backups still beat Wilson by a significant margin, 20.2 ppg to 15.1 ppg.

The single biggest improvement I saw from my novice knowledge was the way he looked off players.

The intended receivers were open so I don't know if it was game planned to do it and he would have thrown it regardless if open or not.  However, much improved from starring down his receivers or tunnel vision toward a particular receiver. 

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

For some perspective, Fields, Lawrence and Wilson have all been bad.

I wonder why this year's crop is so bad.  It could be the new practice rules.  It could be the difficulty blending them in with all the covid sh*t.  It could be a failure to properly scout based on the ****ed up college seasons the past two years.  Or maybe they just all suck.