Jump to content

..what does NFL's expected $208M salary cap mean for Jets in 2022 ?


Recommended Posts

The salary cap is expected to jump dramatically in 2022.

Teams will have an estimated $208.2 million to spend this offseason, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero. That’s a $27.7 million bump from the $182.5 million cap floor from this season.

The Jets will once again be among the teams with the most salary cap space. New York will have an estimated $49.1 million, according to Over The Cap, which ranks ninth in the league. That number could rise if the Jets cut certain players this offseason. They can save $9 million if they cut center Connor McGovern and $3.5 million if they cut tackle Greg Van Roten.

This sets the Jets up for another potential high-spending offseason.

With a plethora of needs on both sides of the ball, Joe Douglas can use his arsenal of draft picks and the Jets’ cap space to build a solid foundation for the future. There are some great options in free agency the Jets could target, if they so choose, or they could re-sign some of their own players. Quinnen Williams is eligible for an extension this offseason, and Marcus Maye will be a free agent coming off a torn Achilles.

 - -  https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/12/06/new-york-jets-nfl-2022-salary-cap/

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More cap space around the league means more guys will get extended, fewer players available in FA.  A lot of teams with plenty of money to bid against us for marquee players, who will generally want t

Captain Joe on the USS Save-a-lot.

Say all you want about Ashtyn Davis, but no one ever called him slow.

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Hex said:

What do I expect? We will probably have more cap space after the offseason, but if JD nails the draft again I don't really care about FA.

This is mistaken. 

The Jets lead the league in rookie playing time this year by a wide margin. (I think anywhere from 6-9 rookies have started for us basically every week?). We don't want that again in 2022. 

This team, and in particular the defense, needs some competent veterans. I want to see an active and aggressive FA period from this front office - particularly on defense. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Realistically after cutting Shaq Lawson and GVR, a savings of $13M with zero dead money, the actual number should be around $62M.  

Good call on Shaq Lawson's 9 mill coming off the books for free. 

 

I think we keep GVR as a backup for only 3.5 mill, maybe negotiate it down.  We're paying Feeney 4.25 mill to be a backup this year.  

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is mistaken. 

The Jets lead the league in rookie playing time this year by a wide margin. (I think anywhere from 6-9 rookies have started for us basically every week?). We don't want that again in 2022. 

This team, and in particular the defense, needs some competent veterans. I want to see an active and aggressive FA period from this front office - particularly on defense. 

I'm really hoping for a safety and a tight end in free agency.  Mike Gesicki is at the top of my list but apparently he's a liability as an inline blocker but the kid is a quality pass catching TE. 

 

Ashtyn Davis seems to be improving which is a relief.  Hopefully he keeps trending up and becomes an adequate starter.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

This is mistaken. 

The Jets lead the league in rookie playing time this year by a wide margin. (I think anywhere from 6-9 rookies have started for us basically every week?). We don't want that again in 2022. 

This team, and in particular the defense, needs some competent veterans. I want to see an active and aggressive FA period from this front office - particularly on defense. 

We probably won't have as many rookies playing next year due to the amount of 2nd year players we will have, but you make a point. This defense isn't fast enough or frankly good enough in any aspect to justify loading it up with inexperienced players. I agree with you there.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Good call on Shaq Lawson's 9 mill coming off the books for free. 

 

I think we keep GVR as a backup for only 3.5 mill, maybe negotiate it down.  We're paying Feeney 4.25 mill to be a backup this year.  

Definitely possible they keep GVR for that money.  They will probably offer LDT a contract, he hasn’t been bad and shouldn’t cost a lot.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Definitely possible they keep GVR for that money.  They will probably offer LDT a contract, he hasn’t been bad and shouldn’t cost a lot.   

I think closer to the opposite.  I think they will probably try to get Lawson to take less to stick around.  I know they are going to want to improve upon him, but he has been playing more than half the snaps.  I think he has been fair and would be a solid floor for next season.  I think he has played EDGE and some LB.  There is no way I would pay him $9M, but I would certainly consider keeping him around for half that and would give him more money than GVR for sure.

I don't see them dumping him early since free agency comes before the draft when they will presumably be considering pulling the trigger on an edge. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think closer to the opposite.  I think they will probably try to get Lawson to take less to stick around.  I know they are going to want to improve upon him, but he has been playing more than half the snaps.  I think he has been fair and would be a solid floor for next season.  I think he has played EDGE and some LB.  There is no way I would pay him $9M, but I would certainly consider keeping him around for half that and would give him more money than GVR for sure.

I’d think Lawson would rather test free agency than taking a 50% pay cut here.   Especially since his role will be diminished if Carl Lawson and Huff are healthy.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

did you watch yesterday?

"Improving"

He was bad his first two games as a starter.  He has gotten incrementally better.  Had a nice pass breakup yesterday, Made several tackles.  Didn't rap up Goedert when he beat Mosley down the seam and bounced off him, terrible play.  But had an INT already as well.

It's basically a rookie year for him, second season, injured last year when he didn't get a TC due to COVID.  He's really just started getting PT.  He's clearly physically talented and yes is incrementally improving. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, David Harris said:

"Improving"

He was bad his first two games as a starter.  He has gotten incrementally better.  Had a nice pass breakup yesterday, Made several tackles.  Didn't rap up Goedert when he beat Mosley down the seam and bounced off him, terrible play.  But had an INT already as well.

It's basically a rookie year for him, second season, injured last year when he didn't get a TC due to COVID.  He's really just started getting PT.  He's clearly physically talented and yes is incrementally improving. 

nahhh....hard disagree 

He wouldnt start on 31 other squads. Slow, no football instincts, bad in coverage

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...