..what does NFL's expected $208M salary cap mean for Jets in 2022 ?

rox

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I don’t see year 2 of this rebuild being a big FA year. Maybe he’ll use some of that space to rid himself of that  Mosely contract? 
sorry but he’s got to go.

. He’s not the “Mike” middle linebacker this scheme needs long term wise.

I think we are stuck with Mosley one more year. We'd lose an additional $3m over the cap hit of his contract if we cut him.

A safety and some LBing help is basically mandatory at this stage.  The loss of Maye exposed just how important he was (even if he wasnt having his best year) b/c we’ve simply gotten torched every game he’s not been there.  The loss of his communication is glaring as theres been far more busts and mistakes.

But yea, I suspect the FA class is going to be harsh this year for teams that didnt plan ahead (see eg KC and the Pats), b/c salaries are going to simply explode.

On 12/6/2021 at 11:51 AM, Lith said:

More cap space around the league means more guys will get extended, fewer players available in FA.  A lot of teams with plenty of money to bid against us for marquee players, who will generally want to play for a winner.   We will scoop up some second tier guys and get frustrated as players we covet will either get exrtended or choose to play for perennial playoff teams instead of us. 

Pretty much same as it ever was.

Need to hit our draft picks becuase FA is always a downer.

Agree, that's the double edged sword... We won't get the FA without overpaying until the JETS can become a consistent winner. That happens only if we hit on a good percentage of our draft picks. So decent start with the 2021 draft, now we need to make it happen again in 2022.

If I'm JD, and I think FA's will pass this team up, then he has to target 1 or 2 that he believes this team needs the most and go after them even if it means overpaying them this time around. He's shown his frugal side, now he needs to show his do anything to get them side.

On 12/6/2021 at 11:52 AM, slimjasi said:

This is mistaken. 

The Jets lead the league in rookie playing time this year by a wide margin. (I think anywhere from 6-9 rookies have started for us basically every week?). We don't want that again in 2022. 

This team, and in particular the defense, needs some competent veterans. I want to see an active and aggressive FA period from this front office - particularly on defense. 

Don't care that they lead the league in that stat because it means experience gained I'm hoping. I expected us to play a lot of rooks, and I expect us to play most of 2022's draft picks as well. I do want to see an aggressive FA period as well from JD. Although I think it might come from the offensive side. We need a good TE if we don't think one is coming from the draft, and we need a RG so we can dump both GVR and Feeney. If we can get those 2, then we can draft some good talent in the top 2 rounds on defense this year. I'm hoping Edge and Center in round 1, then you can go all defense again with a WR sprinkled in.

Cap space is less relevant when all teams have it. The only thing I see of relevance being done is maybe a quinnen extension. Similar to Lith,  beyond that I expect FA to be thin and the Jets to lose out to players who get paid to go to contenders. The Jets missed the boat last year when teams actually had cap issues. 

On 12/6/2021 at 2:31 PM, ScarletKnight89 said:

Van Roten needs to go but McGovern has been a lot better in this system. If they draft the center from Iowa they could slide McGovern over to right guard. Or keep McGovern at center and go get a guard in FA if they don't draft a center.

Jets need to spend big on defense, tight end, and probably another receiver.

Plan A !!!

On 12/6/2021 at 2:45 PM, Green Ghost said:

You’re being a little extreme here. if Saleh can’t groom a kid like Davis, what is he doing here?

He’s the exact type of player we should keep and try to develop. A 3rd round pick with actual athletic ability and upside.

Little Kevvy, seems to forget that he wasn't even playing football before college. He walked on at Cal, and made the team with his athletic ability. He's learning and growing. He still makes some missed assignments, however you can see growth, and he can hit and usually makes a good percentage of his tackles. If he puts his head in the grindstone this offseason, learns how to better watch tape and asks lots of questions, I think we'll see even more development from him next year. I wouldn't give up on this kid at all.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Don't care that they lead the league in that stat because it means experience gained I'm hoping. I expected us to play a lot of rooks, and I expect us to play most of 2022's draft picks as well. I do want to see an aggressive FA period as well from JD. 

That’s the point. We need more veterans, in addition to watching the guys we have develop 

Early Look at the Top Players in 2022 NFL Free Agency

While it doesn't boast major names at quarterback like the two classes that came before it, the potential 2022 NFL free-agent class still presents teams with an opportunity to dramatically overhaul rosters. 

Fans have seen the idea that free agency can complement strong drafting to build a Super Bowl contender go very well with teams like the New England Patriots in recent years.Based on the headliners, that will also be the case in 2022 despite the presence of franchise tags and extension possibilities, even with some of the bigger names (Denver wideout Courtland Sutton, Baltimore tight end Mark Andrews, Philadelphia tackle Jordan Mailata, Cleveland guard Wyatt Teller) already wrapped up on extensions. 

Besides rare Tom Brady-style exceptions, the top players in 2022 unrestricted free agency are generally premium position players that teams will want to build around for years, which means they will be under 30 years old going into the 2022 season. That means omitting the likes of Terron Armstead, Calais Campbell, Brandon Scherff and more. 

Working within those parameters, these are the players that fans should have at the tops of their wishlists...

- -   S Marcus Williams, New Orleans Saints

Prototypical free safeties who can play deep and with range to cover either sideline are rare, which means Marcus Williams is well on his way to matching or exceeding the four-year, $61 million contract extension recently inked by Justin Simmons of the Denver Broncos.Williams spent this year playing on the franchise tag with the New Orleans Saints, and over his first 12 appearances, he has totaled 59 tackles, eight passes defended, two interceptions and one forced fumble. 

That performance has earned him an 80.5 PFF grade ("starter" threshold) after grading behind only Simmons over the 2019 and 2020 seasons. He's let up a 55.2 completion percentage on 29 targets and continues to excel in coverage as a chess piece coaches can move all over the place. Still just 25 years old, Williams' coverage abilities mean he won't disappoint the team that gives him a monster deal like recent whiffs such as Jamal Adams. And truthfully, there aren't any teams that shouldn't have an interest, provided they have cap space and don't roster Simmons or the next guy on the list. 

Potential suitors: New Orleans, New England, New York Jets

-  -    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2951073-early-look-at-the-top-players-in-2022-nfl-free-agency

On 12/7/2021 at 11:47 PM, Hael said:

A safety and some LBing help is basically mandatory at this stage.  The loss of Maye exposed just how important he was (even if he wasnt having his best year) b/c we’ve simply gotten torched every game he’s not been there.  The loss of his communication is glaring as theres been far more busts and mistakes.

But yea, I suspect the FA class is going to be harsh this year for teams that didnt plan ahead (see eg KC and the Pats), b/c salaries are going to simply explode.

When the Patriots are in the afc championship something tellls me they won’t be concerned about March 2022